Taking Stock: Consolidation

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tezza
Team Supported: Darlington

Taking Stock: Consolidation

Post by tezza » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 pm

Recent events regarding departures are nothing new when a new management team take charge.

Our situation is no different.

On the playing side: TW/AW have had a couple of weeks to make assessments of who is good enough, who is in it for the long haul etc. I expect others will depart along the way, likewise TW/AW will begin reshaping with reasonable, realistic resources provided.

Off Field: The Board, DFCSG will are looking to stabilise the clubs financial footing for the remainder of this season and going into next.

Should we despondent? Those with unrealistic expectations will always be disappointed.
Personally I think the events so far this week are exactly what is needed, we are administering much needed care before the patient is beyond resuscitation.

To paraphrase "this is not the beginning of the end, this is the end of the beginning"

dfc4me

Re: Taking Stock: Consolidation

Post by dfc4me » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Looking forward developing young players has to be our aim - they cost very little and can be sold on if good enough - but not now. Thanks to Grays obsession with instant success we simply don't have enough youngsters who are ready to step up. First and foremost we need to stay in this league and if that means bringing in experienced players, on loan if necessary, then we can sort things out properly in the summer.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:32 pm

dfc4me wrote: Thanks to Grays obsession with instant success
While have been as big a critic of Martin Gray and his approach, certainly over the last year, as anyone, it is hardly fair to say it was only his obsession with instant success - it is an obsession that a sizeable section of our support (owners) shared and still seem to.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:55 pm

the knicker wringing on here at times is phenomenal.

but then it's the same with most clubs.

I don't think football has changed - just people. and I'd imagine the most knicker wetting is being done by younger folk. this isn't an age-ist dig - just that older fans have been through all of this. many, many times....

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:the knicker wringing on here at times is phenomenal.

but then it's the same with most clubs.

I don't think football has changed - just people. and I'd imagine the most knicker wetting is being done by younger folk. this isn't an age-ist dig - just that older fans have been through all of this. many, many times....
Don't feel that old at 28, and am certainly not thinking this is anything particularly new.

Our rise through the pitchfork leagues has been almost too quick and left certain sections of support with the opinion we should be routinely smashing what are now good, sometimes full-time opposition. We were always going to hit the point where that initial impetus would run down and we'd need to settle where we were, take stock and look at the best way to move forward with regards to finances and facilities.

Now Gray has gone it arguably makes this easier to do, and with this new approach we might be around this division for a while but I'm fine with that. It's a decent level, and the club can take it's time to establish a base to grow from.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:23 pm

I'd snap your hand off if you told me we'd deffo be in the NLN next season right now.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:24 pm

Darlo_H wrote:Don't feel that old at 28, and am certainly not thinking this is anything particularly new.
true - but old enough to have lived through the Staunton, Todd and Davey times.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:25 pm

I think the opening post makes sense. The issue is where we are going to get the next goals and points. If we can consolidate this year then I'm sure we can strengthen next year.

For me the next 3 years, I'm happy if we consolidate in the league and then we'll get the 500 club back

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:28 pm

I would feel a lot happier if there was some sort of formal plan for where we want to go over the next few years. The last few years have all been about getting back to Darlington and getting out of the depths of non-league, but now we've achieved those goals, to me at least, we feel a little bit lost. What will BM look like in 5 years time? How are we going to target the necessary revenue growth to take the club to the next level? Is it time we invested money into a full time employee to run the commercial side of the club? How are we going to target crowd growth etc etc.

A plan for the growth of the club would help give us as a fanbase something to get behind to push the club on, in my opinion at least (no idea if others feel the same or not!). If we're going to have to take a step back on the pitch, as long as it's clear that it is part of a long term plan and not just a fire sale (yesterday felt a bit like when we went into admin :lol: ), that'd be fine for me.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Only question I would have was Tommy fully involved with the transfers of Beck and Batlett, if so that is fine, Other than that I don't think we need to be too despondent, we all know that there are some players that are struggling at this level, but we still have some good players if TW & AW can utilise them to abilities, we can still be a safe mid table team easily. The defence is a problem but can be sorted, Ed is a good goalkeeper and if we can get two fit "proper" centre half's (wonder if AW will put his boots on?) as Collins needs to rest his injury more than a week (as last game proved), Browny is a worry with his head injury and could be out a long time? Burgess does not look fit either so we need to blood Vaulx and get Galbraith at full back some how, (Scotty is clearly not a full back looking at the replays). Midfield we have some talent in Turnbull, Portus and Wheatley, (put Scott in there should be a strong midfield), and Syers partnering Cartman up front as I feel those two could build a great partnership. If we get a new centre forward then Syers in midfield would mean we had Syers, Wheatley and Portus who are all capable of being attacking midfielders, with Saunders to come off the bench late on to run rings around tiring defenders - after that we may have to bring in some of the young players for the bench and I remember players like Lovegreen played well in the first team when given the chance, (not sure if he is still with us but there may be the odd star capable of stepping up).

It is going to take some time for TW to get the best out of the players and we need to understand and back that for the long term good.

"Up the Quakers"

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Darlo_H wrote:Don't feel that old at 28, and am certainly not thinking this is anything particularly new.
true - but old enough to have lived through the Staunton, Todd and Davey times.
Trust me, I'll hold the memories of the likes of Craig James, Paddy Deane and Drewe Broughton forever.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Far too much sense in this thread

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:33 pm

I think a reasonable 5 year plan would be to make it back to the Conference. That allows time to stabilise, and probably get rid of the few bigger clubs currently in the division, whose funding dwarfs us right now.

When the 500 club is up, the ground is up to standard, we can really push on, and should have more than enough resources to get out of this division. Within 5 years, i'd certainly like to think the ground will not only have more seats, but also more terracing. I'd like to see us focus on getting kids to games with a family section in the expanded seated stand.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:00 pm

divas wrote:Far too much sense in this thread
Er in door's was going to Tesco's and asked if there was anything I needed Just a cb/gk/and a striker...but only if on special Oh and don't forget the club card points.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:32 pm

50 years wrote:Only question I would have was Tommy fully involved with the transfers of Beck and Batlett, if so that is fine, Other than that I don't think we need to be too despondent
Bartlett I sort of understand but Beck was a bit out of our control. If they meet his release clause no amount of involvement from Tommy Wright would have prevented or changed the decision.

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:55 pm

One facet of taking stock is that we as a club should have learned the danger of allowing any one personality to much input/influence over all affairs. Similarly when, and it is when we sign new players the length and terms of any contracts need to be thought through and signed off in accordance with club policy and ethics.

I feel sure that with the forth coming re resourcing, revitalisation, new skills and input of the DFCSG supported by the current board will review current processes, practices etc. and put in place even more effective measures and controls of propriety to ensure mistakes are not repeated.

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I'd snap your hand off if you told me we'd deffo be in the NLN next season right now.
Me too

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:39 pm

I see the club have just announced we're effectively having our offices at the Dolphin Centre, where we can host meetings and store equipment.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/dar ... rtnership/

Positive step forwards :thumbup:

I'm slightly surprised that we haven't been doing that at BM - I just presumed we were considering that was our address. Even more credit to those who volunteer - turns out they've not only been volunteering their time but also their homes!

Some (this is where this fits in with this thread :lol: ), and I certainly include myself in this, are guilty of forgetting what we've had to come back from - we had nothing. Also I guess this shows how far the off the pitch side has lagged behind the on the pitch progress.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:48 pm

al_quaker wrote: I'm slightly surprised that we haven't been doing that at BM - I just presumed we were considering that was our address
Its only our address on matchdays two hours before and 90 minutes after the match.
Pathetic situation really. Partners my arse.
Its like us blocking off access to the areas of the ground that we paid for after a match as these are football club property.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 pm

al_quaker wrote:I would feel a lot happier if there was some sort of formal plan for where we want to go over the next few years. The last few years have all been about getting back to Darlington and getting out of the depths of non-league, but now we've achieved those goals, to me at least, we feel a little bit lost. What will BM look like in 5 years time? How are we going to target the necessary revenue growth to take the club to the next level? Is it time we invested money into a full time employee to run the commercial side of the club? How are we going to target crowd growth etc etc.

A plan for the growth of the club would help give us as a fanbase something to get behind to push the club on, in my opinion at least (no idea if others feel the same or not!). If we're going to have to take a step back on the pitch, as long as it's clear that it is part of a long term plan and not just a fire sale (yesterday felt a bit like when we went into admin :lol: ), that'd be fine for me.
Whatever plan is finally adopted, and we definitely need one, must be consulted on. At the very least, the corporate director (Supporters society board 1883) must be involved. I understand that John Bell is in the process of producing an engagement model but has expressed frustration that there have been obstacles to its implementation. The change in senior personnel at the club may be a good thing with this. The fans forum shocked me not because of MGs intervention but because of the feeling I got that there was a division of opinion on some pretty fundamental things. "Surely the fans model has now run its course" was one pertinent question. There could indeed be an "age effect" but in the absence of hard data evidence it is difficult to tell. I can only go on anecdotal evidence from some of my younger acquaintances who do not seem as enthused about the fans model as perhaps I am or my peer group. On a separate note, I think there is value on voting for Lee Kilcran to the supporters board tnext week to present the younger voice.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:57 pm

50 years wrote:Only question I would have was Tommy fully involved with the transfers of Beck and Batlett, if so that is fine, Other than that I don't think we need to be too despondent, we all know that there are some players that are struggling at this level, but we still have some good players if TW & AW can utilise them to abilities, we can still be a safe mid table team easily. The defence is a problem but can be sorted, Ed is a good goalkeeper and if we can get two fit "proper" centre half's (wonder if AW will put his boots on?) as Collins needs to rest his injury more than a week (as last game proved), Browny is a worry with his head injury and could be out a long time? Burgess does not look fit either so we need to blood Vaulx and get Galbraith at full back some how, (Scotty is clearly not a full back looking at the replays). Midfield we have some talent in Turnbull, Portus and Wheatley, (put Scott in there should be a strong midfield), and Syers partnering Cartman up front as I feel those two could build a great partnership. If we get a new centre forward then Syers in midfield would mean we had Syers, Wheatley and Portus who are all capable of being attacking midfielders, with Saunders to come off the bench late on to run rings around tiring defenders - after that we may have to bring in some of the young players for the bench and I remember players like Lovegreen played well in the first team when given the chance, (not sure if he is still with us but there may be the odd star capable of stepping up).

It is going to take some time for TW to get the best out of the players and we need to understand and back that for the long term good.

"Up the Quakers"
Not sure in what way you want/expect Wright to be involved in the sale of two of our players to full time clubs?

Do you think he should be negotiating the fee?

I wonder if there's any logic in your White suggestion - could be worse ideas. I'd imaging he's still in great shape given his day job although maybe not 90 minutes fitness.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Spyman wrote:
50 years wrote:Only question I would have was Tommy fully involved with the transfers of Beck and Batlett, if so that is fine, Other than that I don't think we need to be too despondent, we all know that there are some players that are struggling at this level, but we still have some good players if TW & AW can utilise them to abilities, we can still be a safe mid table team easily. The defence is a problem but can be sorted, Ed is a good goalkeeper and if we can get two fit "proper" centre half's (wonder if AW will put his boots on?) as Collins needs to rest his injury more than a week (as last game proved), Browny is a worry with his head injury and could be out a long time? Burgess does not look fit either so we need to blood Vaulx and get Galbraith at full back some how, (Scotty is clearly not a full back looking at the replays). Midfield we have some talent in Turnbull, Portus and Wheatley, (put Scott in there should be a strong midfield), and Syers partnering Cartman up front as I feel those two could build a great partnership. If we get a new centre forward then Syers in midfield would mean we had Syers, Wheatley and Portus who are all capable of being attacking midfielders, with Saunders to come off the bench late on to run rings around tiring defenders - after that we may have to bring in some of the young players for the bench and I remember players like Lovegreen played well in the first team when given the chance, (not sure if he is still with us but there may be the odd star capable of stepping up).

"Up the Quakers"
Not sure in what way you want/expect Wright to be involved in the sale of two of our players to full time clubs?

Do you think he should be negotiating the fee?

I wonder if there's any logic in your White suggestion - could be worse ideas. I'd imaging he's still in great shape given his day job although maybe not 90 minutes fitness.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
After attending one of his metafit classes, believe me he is in great nick. nearly killed me :o :o

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 pm

loan_star wrote:
al_quaker wrote: I'm slightly surprised that we haven't been doing that at BM - I just presumed we were considering that was our address
Its only our address on matchdays two hours before and 90 minutes after the match.
Pathetic situation really. Partners my arse.
Its like us blocking off access to the areas of the ground that we paid for after a match as these are football club property.
The club use an office behind hospitality on matchdays but come 6pm DRFC remove any recognition of us being there, theres no pictures posters nothing. it’s like they don’t just want us there not all members but the majority I reckon. Madness really that have a large office which is used by 3 people and a 2 bed flat lying empty I guess our Directors felt it was better moving to the Dolphin.

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 pm

Stay on thread.

princes town

Post by princes town » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:31 pm

tezza wrote:Stay on thread.
I did wonder if we are experiencing a similar challenge to Kidderminster who some years ago completely transformed their operations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33774016

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:17 am

Sorry for confusion, by saying "Tommy Wright involved in the decision" I ment the board had discussed it with him (and not just pushed it through). Seeing the Northern Echo clearly he was fully aware.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:55 am

50 years wrote:Sorry for confusion, by saying "Tommy Wright involved in the decision" I ment the board had discussed it with him (and not just pushed it through). Seeing the Northern Echo clearly he was fully aware.
Looks like with Bartlett he was certainly involved in the decision to let him go, and its clear nobody had any choice over Beck given his release clause.

DC

princes town

Post by princes town » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Spyman wrote:
50 years wrote:Sorry for confusion, by saying "Tommy Wright involved in the decision" I ment the board had discussed it with him (and not just pushed it through). Seeing the Northern Echo clearly he was fully aware.
Looks like with Bartlett he was certainly involved in the decision to let him go, and its clear nobody had any choice over Beck given his release clause.
the loss of 2 big players in a day suggest this was planned rather than by accident and you right i'm sure I read he was involved in the bartlett decision.