Blyth V Darlington FC match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blyth V Darlington FC match thread

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:23 pm

That'll be like Lovegreen, that Gray rates but never get's near the first team squad?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:38 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:I'm not sure how you equate that with giving Ray stick? I'm just suggesting questions like is "Kevin fully fit?" "Some fans feel vaulks has played well, is he injured?" Would be helpful to know.
I'm not saying you were giving him stick. Generally though it's always "Why isn't Ray asking the difficult questions?" Any criticism questions being too soft gets directed towards Ray when actually he works for the club.

But the independent Craig Stoddart seemingly gets a free ride.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Perhaps a few facts may make you realise the question has already been asked.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... orcements/

If the paywall stops you reading the key part, this is what it says :-

"But, at 18-years-old, Gray believes Vaulks is one for the future and does not want to blood him just yet.
The manager said: “He’s not ready to start games. If everyone was fit I’d have him out on loan so that he can get some senior football and full games.
“He’s not ready to start at this level, not yet.
“He needs more men’s football but at the right level.
“He’s a level-headed lad, but he’s young and needs to learn.
“We have talked about it but we’re very happy with him, he’s got all the tools, he just needs to learn the game.”
I know you're desperate to defend your mate and all, but I think anyone with half a brain cell could see I was talking generally about the stick some Darlo fans unfairly direct towards Ray.

Given he works for the club, it's unfair to direct too much criticism his way, when Stoddart is the one who should be being a little more objective.

Stod used to be really good but, in my opinion, since the club went fan-owned in 2012, he repeats the club's line on stories too often, rather than being independent. Not every time, but he does seem to want to keep the club sweet a bit too often.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 pm

I'll defend him where criticism is unjustified.
As for towing the club line, you may be of a different opinion if you were the one that had to deal with Gray on a regular basis. He can be a very awkward person to deal with especially when the going is tough.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:33 pm

I can't imagine gramps having a problem asking challenging questions! I think as a fan owned club we should be able to seek clarification about why players are and aren't playing/on the bench/not even in the squad. Mendes is a prime example, loads of conjecture but we're still none the wiser about why he never played.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:21 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:I can't imagine gramps having a problem asking challenging questions! I think as a fan owned club we should be able to seek clarification about why players are and aren't playing/on the bench/not even in the squad. Mendes is a prime example, loads of conjecture but we're still none the wiser about why he never played.
I don't think managers need to justify every decision on personnel to fans.

But with something like Mendes, where a player has been signed, not put in the matchday squad, then released after a month, that deserves scrutiny.

I'm not saying the club has to put out a statement or anything like that. But hopefully one of the local journalists (i.e. the one local newspaper reporter who does follow the club) can ask that question and get an answer.

If not, it needs to be raised at the next fans' forum.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY