If and its a very big if....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Charlie_Darlo
Team Supported: Darlington

If and its a very big if....

Post by Charlie_Darlo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:04 am

Staunton can get some reasonable players in January, these postponements may give us a lifeline. We are going to have games in hand over some of the other teams at bottom, more importantly 2 or 3 (if Port Vale is off) of them at home.

If we can get a run going and actually win some of these games in hand, then the gap may not seem that big and we may go into March / April with a fighting chance.

Its a very very long shot, but if I were Raj Singh I would be prepared to take a gamble to save our league status.

walshys_wingman_11

Re: If and its a very big if....

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:14 am

I agree with you that these games being off in the last week or so could work in our favour as it will give Staunton time to get his own players in when the window opens.

Randy Sparks

Post by Randy Sparks » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:14 am

Gamble Raj, gamble.

It's like an episode of good old classic game show Bullseye.

In one...A dodgy keeper :lol: :lol:

alleztfc
Team Supported: Hartlepool United League 1

Post by alleztfc » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:41 am

Darlo would probably still get the speedboat :(

Super! Smashing! Lovely!

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:45 am

Which players will be leaving us in January anyone know yet? I'm thinking that our loanees may all but go and some of the squad don't appear to be in SS's plans so we could have quite a smaller squad in a week or two. Anyone have any idea if these Irish guys are doing any good in training? Any signs of a new goalkeeper yet? Ayone been walking their dog past the Arena and seen anyone?lol
COME ON DARLO!

ShrewsX

Post by ShrewsX » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:05 pm

Am I the only one who hates games in hand?

I think that theres a fair amount of clutching at straws going on here. Postponed games can only be a bad thing. If we aren't playing, we aren't closing the gap and games in hand are meaningless unless you win them. Regardless of what happens in January (lets be honest, I can't see us attracting many influential players, even on loan in this position).

We need to be playing now, and not being faced with Satuday then Tuesday games in the run-up to the end of the season!

Shrews
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:16 pm

Its ok playing the games now, bit if we're losing them all, then that isn't doing us any good. At least there's a chance that we might have a better team in the New Year, that might just start winning.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:35 pm

ShrewsX wrote:Am I the only one who hates games in hand?

I think that theres a fair amount of clutching at straws going on here. Postponed games can only be a bad thing. If we aren't playing, we aren't closing the gap and games in hand are meaningless unless you win them. Regardless of what happens in January (lets be honest, I can't see us attracting many influential players, even on loan in this position).

We need to be playing now, and not being faced with Satuday then Tuesday games in the run-up to the end of the season!

Shrews
I might normally agree that games in hand is worse than points on the board, but seeing as though we would have been gubbed in each of the 3 matches I truly can't see what ground we have lost.

If anything, after 5 heavy defeats, it is probably a blessing in disguise. It gives the team a chance to bond, to gel, to train together, it gives injured players time to recover, and brings us nearer the time when we can sign new players...although the fact that these two LOI players are apparantly a defender and a midfielder is discoraging considering we need a keeper, wingers and a forward that can score goals, oh and full backs due to injuries.

If we get 3 points out of these re-arranged fixtures, then it is 3 more than we would have got.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Quakerz wrote:
ShrewsX wrote:Am I the only one who hates games in hand?

Shrews
I might normally agree that games in hand is worse than points on the board, but seeing as though we would have been gubbed in each of the 3 matches I truly can't see what ground we have lost.

If anything, after 5 heavy defeats, it is probably a blessing in disguise. It gives the team a chance to bond, to gel, to train together, it gives injured players time to recover, and brings us nearer the time when we can sign new players...although the fact that these two LOI players are apparantly a defender and a midfielder is discoraging considering we need a keeper, wingers and a forward that can score goals, oh and full backs due to injuries.

If we get 3 points out of these re-arranged fixtures, then it is 3 more than we would have got.
You've just saved me a job, I was just about to post exactly the same on the other thread I posted.

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:58 pm

If scores stay as they are at half time, we're fourteen points from safety. We're fooked.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:00 pm

TeessideQuaker wrote:If scores stay as they are at half time, we're fourteen points from safety. We're fooked.
Win our 3 games in hand and it'll be down to 5 :)

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Not really, Lincoln City are the team in 22nd, and we only have one game in hand over them.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:10 pm

TeessideQuaker wrote:Not really, Lincoln City are the team in 22nd, and we only have one game in hand over them.
Lincoln City - 22
Cheltenham - 20
Grimsby Town - 17
Darlington - 8

We are 14 points behind Cheltenham at the moment. We win all over games in hand we will be 3 points behind on how the table stands at the moment. Leaving us 5 points behind Lincoln City. But this could all change this afternoon as Cheltenham are beating Dagenham & Redbridge.

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:13 pm

No we won't, because we don't have three games in hand over them.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Cheltenham now 2 up :roll:

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:55 pm

The games in hand are meaningless. We are way out of our depth in this league and will continue to be so for a variety of reasons which started on the day our beloved then chairman pulled the plug last season. I would be very surprised if we managed to win more than two or three games in the whole of the rest of the season.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:05 pm

TeessideQuaker wrote:No we won't, because we don't have three games in hand over them.
I see, i didn't take notice of how many games in hand they have. They have 2 games in hand where as we have 3.

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:28 am

Yes, but what good is it having more games in hand over teams even further ahead than those we need to catch? We need to reach third bottom, that's who we need to take note of.

Trike

Post by Trike » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:47 am

sorry but i dont see us finishing on more than 14points

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:52 am

in real terms we are FIFTEEN points behind due to our goal difference - games in hand mean nothing, its a lost cause

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Just remember Staunton has had to work with some of Todd's crap signings. Maybe now he'll be abe to bring in his own players. Let's try and stay positive.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:22 pm

AndyPark wrote:Just remember Staunton has had to work with some of Todd's crap signings. Maybe now he'll be abe to bring in his own players. Let's try and stay positive.
Stauntons signings are more crap than Todds and he HAS brought in his own players, ABOUT 9 AT THE LAST COUNT. Another 2 or 3 is not enough, we need about 6.Feel sorry for Raj, no confidence in Staunton in the least but lets see how these Irish lads perform first, pray to god they are not like his other signings.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:13 pm

In fairness to Staunton over the players he has brought in. The transfer window has been closed, we are rock bottom in the league and we haven't got a pot to piss in. Its not like he has been able to pick and choose or has much to entice players to come. Maybe he will do better in January if Raj gives him more cash?? (clutching at straws)