Tommy Wright with Alan White as assistant

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Re: Tommy Wright with Alan White as assistant

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:52 am

princes town wrote:
Darlopartisan wrote:I hope as a club we went about this in right and professional manner.
not sure. Spennymoor peed off as well by all accounts. Guess that's football,
LoidLucan wrote:I dont think we'll be invited back to use their ground again judging by brad groves' statement.
Darlopartisan wrote:Just read Spennymoor statement regarding White, basically saying there was no contact from Darlo very disappointed at the unprofessional way we have conducted our selves considering the way they helped us in the past with the loan of facilities.
Does not look good on our part, if this the case it takes the shine off the appointment for me.
Jason Ainsley seemed ok about it, but Brad Groves doesn't seem happy at all...

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... 4a6c6b.jpg[/img]
[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... ee026f.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BruceyNBFC
Team Supported: Nuneaton

Post by BruceyNBFC » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:56 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
BruceyNBFC wrote:
H1987 wrote:
BruceyNBFC wrote:Thanks very much for paying us compo for a manager that the majority of our fans wanted sacking! Enjoy! 8-)
You came all the way over here and registered just to tell us that. You can just feel the butthurt dripping from this post. Thanks for the extra traffic for this site though. :wave: :mrgreen:
Believe me, there’s no butthurt over here. Only relief. You’ll learn in time.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion on here. However I feel that Wright has the love for the club, that few managers have and I'm sure he'll prove that he can be a very good manager at this level. Only time will tell who is right!!
Love for you lot no doubt, and I’m being honest when I say that’s helped us and him part ways. He has had some great moments here, when he first came in, he picked us up, galvanised us, and saved us from a relegation fight while giving us our best Trophy run in a long time.

BUT,

His man management has been called into serious question a number of times. He’s failed miserably to build a team, and defensively, I’ve never seen such a shambolic back four in nearly 30 years watching the club. The rumours that he had lost part of the dressing room were pretty loud, and our form had been erratic at best, disgraceful at worse.

FWIW, I think he’ll give you a lift, like he did us, and I’m glad we had you last week, not next, but long term, I can’t see him ever being the man to navigate a whole season successfully. He had a similar experience at Corby to us, where it started well & ended otherwise.

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:58 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Trike1 wrote:I really hope we haven't done the same as Martin Gray otherwise we are no better and all the bad feeling everyone had should be ashamed.

Not over whelmed with this but support tge guys as normal
Think there's a lot of sanctimony on the Spennymoor side.

Yes we should have called Spennymoor and Brad Groves as a courtesy.

However, in bitching about it in public, Groves is being tremendously unprofessional. Would have been much better for him to have called David Johnston to ask what was going on and resolve it that way. It's not like the two don't know each other.....

It's almost as if Groves is deliberately trying to whip up anti-Darlo feeling.

And White was a relatively junior member of their coaching staff who they were prepared to let go anyway.
How do you know they were prepared to let White go?
Because I know for a fact Ainsley agreed to it. White rang Ainsley, who in turn told Groves.

Put it this way, if Spennymoor had wanted him to stay, they'd have made life much more difficult for us.

White wasn't a major figure at Spenny so it's not the end of the world to them.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

TDS

Post by TDS » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:43 am

BruceyNBFC wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
BruceyNBFC wrote:
H1987 wrote:
BruceyNBFC wrote:Thanks very much for paying us compo for a manager that the majority of our fans wanted sacking! Enjoy! 8-)
You came all the way over here and registered just to tell us that. You can just feel the butthurt dripping from this post. Thanks for the extra traffic for this site though. :wave: :mrgreen:
Believe me, there’s no butthurt over here. Only relief. You’ll learn in time.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion on here. However I feel that Wright has the love for the club, that few managers have and I'm sure he'll prove that he can be a very good manager at this level. Only time will tell who is right!!
Love for you lot no doubt, and I’m being honest when I say that’s helped us and him part ways. He has had some great moments here, when he first came in, he picked us up, galvanised us, and saved us from a relegation fight while giving us our best Trophy run in a long time.

BUT,

His man management has been called into serious question a number of times. He’s failed miserably to build a team, and defensively, I’ve never seen such a shambolic back four in nearly 30 years watching the club. The rumours that he had lost part of the dressing room were pretty loud, and our form had been erratic at best, disgraceful at worse.

FWIW, I think he’ll give you a lift, like he did us, and I’m glad we had you last week, not next, but long term, I can’t see him ever being the man to navigate a whole season successfully. He had a similar experience at Corby to us, where it started well & ended otherwise.

Fair play for coming here to give us your opinion. The defence won’t be an issue as we’ve got White in as assistant who knows his way around a back four and whilst Tommy’s record isn’t blinding it is a solid foundation to build on with the right club. Any appointment would’ve been a gamble, these two have something with the fans which makes this slightly less risky.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:05 am

Personally happy with these appointments. Wright has solid experience at this level, and White has good local knowledge having been part of Spennymoor's back-room staff for the past 18 months or so. I think this was vital to any appointment.

Are there any hints of the back-room staff these two will be looking to bring in? Still a couple of coaches and a chief scout short of where we were before the exodus. Although unsure if staffing levels will ever reach that high in the forseeable future.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:09 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Personally happy with these appointments. Wright has solid experience at this level, and White has good local knowledge having been part of Spennymoor's back-room staff for the past 18 months or so. I think this was vital to any appointment.

Are there any hints of the back-room staff these two will be looking to bring in? Still a couple of coaches and a chief scout short of where we were before the exodus. Although unsure if staffing levels will ever reach that high in the forseeable future.
Why do we need any more coaches? Isn't White and Wright enough to take training twice a week?

As for a GK coach, TBH isn't that a luxury at this level? Bartlett can coach himself and Ed!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:20 am

Quakerz wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Personally happy with these appointments. Wright has solid experience at this level, and White has good local knowledge having been part of Spennymoor's back-room staff for the past 18 months or so. I think this was vital to any appointment.

Why do we need any more coaches? Isn't White and Wright enough to take training twice a week?

As for a GK coach, TBH isn't that a luxury at this level? Bartlett can coach himself and Ed!
I think we have to have a scout , I am assuming Wright would have contacts in this area of expertise.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:24 am

Surely we need at least one more? Even if Bartlett becomes player / goalkeeper coach, he will need to take a coaching badge, but if you think of the breakdown of training, surely Wrights role is to oversee it all / focus on tactics, while say White and another break down the players into appropriate positions and their focus.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:27 am

Q, I'm inclined to agree and I think that we were over-staffed under Gray.

But, we did lose Gray, Atkinson, Gregan, Bell, Dunn etc (I think his PT fitness coach will have left now too). So there may be scope to bring another coach + scout.

If you look at set-up's around this level (Blyth/Spennymoor/Whitby/South Shields etc) they tend to have around 3/4 coaches.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:31 am

Are there any hints of the back-room staff these two will be looking to bring in? Still a couple of coaches and a chief scout short of where we were before the EXODUS. Although unsure if staffing levels will ever reach that high in the forseeable future.
Perhaps you said it yourself.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:33 am

Yes, i'd think we'll need at least an extra coach, and a scout. Right now, i don't think we have any scouts at all, do we?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:38 am

I think the nuneaton fan is being very measured in what he says and his views reflect those of a lot of nuneaton fans from what i have read and gleaned at last week's match. I also agree with what he says about nuneaton's defence. It was embarrassing watching them start wasting time even in the first half. They never looked comfortable even tho we were largely dreadful.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:40 am

Darlogramps wrote:White wasn't a major figure at Spenny so it's not the end of the world to them.
Not at all.

White's been given a chance to step up his job prospects by quite a degree, surely Spennymoor wouldn't want to stand in his way.

I didn't mind Ferguson leaving TBH. He got the chance to be a Pro player again - good luck to him.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:43 am

Would not surprise me to see big Ex to turn up as player coach , had a good game last time I watched him, hell of a throw in as well

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:56 am

H1987 wrote:Yes, i'd think we'll need at least an extra coach
Why?

Fucking hell, we need another coach, and a coach to coach the coaches. And a massage man. And a shrink. And, and...

Let's NOT go back to the Martin Gray EXCESSES. Some fans are still in that mindset.

We are a semi professional 6th tier club with part time players.

We don't even need a chief scout. White and Wright will be perfectly capable of searching for players themselves, they will know scouts who will recommend them players.

If Wright and White don't do the coaching, and player recruitment, what exactly will they do?

FFS

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Darlogramps wrote:[Because I know for a fact Ainsley agreed to it. White rang Ainsley, who in turn told Groves.

Put it this way, if Spennymoor had wanted him to stay, they'd have made life much more difficult for us.

I would have thought it was more a case of Wright asked White if he would come along as an assistant so he will be the one who made the initial approach. Since White wasn't under contract would we have had any need to ask permission to speak to White? It just like saying that when someone goes for a job interview, the potential new employer has to ask permission off the current employer even though that person has every right to go for interviews as they aren't under a fixed term contract.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:[Because I know for a fact Ainsley agreed to it. White rang Ainsley, who in turn told Groves.

I would have thought it was more a case of Wright asked White if he would come along as an assistant so he will be the one who made the initial approach. Since White wasn't under contract would we have had any need to ask permission to speak to White? It just like saying that when someone goes for a job interview, the potential new employer has to ask permission off the current employer even though that person has every right to go for interviews as they aren't under a fixed term contract.
That still classes as Darlington making the approach, whether it was Wright, Johnston or whoever.

Either way Ainsley was happy for White to make a step up elsewhere.

I'd have preferred us to speak to Spennymoor more as a gesture of manners and respect. But it's not the end of the world and Groves didn't handle it particularly well either.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Not too sure on who you are proposing to scout the opposition on match-days, Q.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Don't forget the assistant kit manager's assistant.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Not too sure on who you are proposing to scout the opposition on match-days, Q.
Do clubs even scout opposition on a regular basis at this level?

I'm sure that there are plenty of local scouts who AW + TW know, who could be used on an ad-hoc basis.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Not too sure on who you are proposing to scout the opposition on match-days, Q.
Do clubs even scout opposition on a regular basis at this level?

I'm sure that there are plenty of local scouts who AW + TW know, who could be used on an ad-hoc basis.
Most clubs have scouts watching games, I would expect we need them to be honest.

TheDenverMan
Team Supported: N/A

Post by TheDenverMan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:38 pm

He isn't half dropping down there like! Joke club. Hope you go bust
KOOOOOONICHIWA

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Unfortunately for you, Gray has left now, so no chance of us going bust now.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:58 pm

It would be more sensible to have a network of people they trust in different regions rather than a set 'scout'.

I am really confused about Wright anyway. Had he given up a full time job to relocate for a part time job?

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:19 pm

TheDenverMan wrote:He isn't half dropping down there like! Joke club. Hope you go bust
:eh: :lol:

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:22 pm

lo36789 wrote:It would be more sensible to have a network of people they trust in different regions rather than a set 'scout'.

I am really confused about Wright anyway. Had he given up a full time job to relocate for a part time job?
Does it really matter if he has left a full time position, he is here now, wants this job with a passion, that will do for me.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

tezza

Post by tezza » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:24 pm

lo36789 wrote:It would be more sensible to have a network of people they trust in different regions rather than a set 'scout'.

Who told you he was going to relocate?

The way i see, it for the present it is a good fit to Have Wright midlands based, Alan White on the doorstep, a real opportunity for them to agree an appropriate structure, that oversees the clubs day to day needs, on and off pitch. Each dependent on the other to take on roles and responsibilities.

As we know the previous incumbent seen himself as omnipotent

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:36 pm

TheDenverMan wrote:He isn't half dropping down there like! Joke club. Hope you go bust
:lol:

Dropping down? Where are you in the league again?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 pm

tezza wrote:Who told you he was going to relocate?

The way i see, it for the present it is a good fit to Have Wright midlands based, Alan White on the doorstep, a real opportunity for them to agree an appropriate structure, that oversees the clubs day to day needs, on and off pitch. Each dependent on the other to take on roles and responsibilities.
Guess my thinking is 2 x training sessions on an evening plus 1 x match is a fair bit of travelling is all especially as it is circa 3/4 hours each way so he'll have to build it in with whatever job he does the rest of the time.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:54 pm

His partner comes from this area, so I'd expect he'd be fine with moving back up here.