No announcement until Friday

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

No announcement until Friday

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 pm

According to Darlo website

Darlo_Pete

Re: No announcement until Friday p

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:11 pm

That's simply ridiculous, serious questions need to be asked about the delay.

Darlopartisan

Re: No announcement until Friday

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:15 pm

David Johnson is out of the country on a prearranged business trip and no announcement will be made till then

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:16 pm

I have no issue with waiting until Friday. I'd rather be patient than rush and get it wrong.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:That's simply ridiculous, serious questions need to be asked about the delay.
Shut up man.

We have a part time two man board.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

DARLO333

Post by DARLO333 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:That's simply ridiculous, serious questions need to be asked about the delay.
I'm sorry - as you will see I don't post on here, but read regularly and this is the daftest post I've seen ! :clap:

Let's ask serious questions of those who give up the little free time they have around demanding work/personal commitments, because they can't confirm us a new manager within two weeks .... yeah great idea .... I hope you step up when they walk away if that's the case ...

Actually on second thoughts

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Your time to step up to the board then... Idiot.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:04 am

Time and time again you prove yourself to be a total arse, I genuinely feel sorry for those that have to work with you, you just can’t help yourself.

I’m impressed that for once we are not rushing in to make an appointment.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 am

Go on then, ask some......
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Radar

Post by Radar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 am

DarloDave40 wrote:
Time and time again you prove yourself to be a total arse, I genuinely feel sorry for those that have to work with you, you just can’t help yourself.

Darlo_Pete is frustrated that's all, it's understandable. I'm not having a pop, but whether our directors are part time or not, they would make things so much easier for all concerned with much better communication lines. The official line was interviews would be undertaken last Thursday and Friday, it's now 4 days later, and the manager of choice has turned us down. That in itself is enough to say we are not handling or carrying out the process very well. I personally admire that we are not panicking in getting somebody in.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 am

Radar wrote:
DarloDave40 wrote:

Darlo_Pete is frustrated that's all, it's understandable. I'm not having a pop, but whether our directors are part time or not, they would make things so much easier for all concerned with much better communication lines. The official line was interviews would be undertaken last Thursday and Friday, it's now 4 days later, and the manager of choice has turned us down. That in itself is enough to say we are not handling or carrying out the process very well. I personally admire that we are not panicking in getting somebody in.
You interview then negotiate a wage. It probably would have been 'easy' to just agree to wage demands but that wouldn't have been good for the club.

We are handling this exactly how we should.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 am

I think the communication has been excellent on this specific subject. We were told when the closing date for applications were, when the interviews were planned and then once the interviews were complete that an announcement would be made after the weekend. Once it was clear our first choice wasn't available we announced that it would be Friday. Yes the process might be dragging on and we're in need of getting it sorted but we've actually been kept well informed on this one.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:46 am

Radar wrote:
DarloDave40 wrote:

Exactly I'm frustrated at the delay. Normally a manager is announced fairly soon after interviews. This appointment could be over a week after people were interviewed. We need our new manager to take training sessions before Saturday's game, so that they can put their stamp and philosophy into our team.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:57 am

divas wrote:I think the communication has been excellent on this specific subject. We were told when the closing date for applications were, when the interviews were planned and then once the interviews were complete that an announcement would be made after the weekend. Once it was clear our first choice wasn't available we announced that it would be Friday. Yes the process might be dragging on and we're in need of getting it sorted but we've actually been kept well informed on this one.

Got to say I agree 100% with this.

Some fans need to remember the club is run by volunteers who have to earn a living doing other jobs. There is no one employed full time at the club to respond to their every demand.

Darlington FC in 2017 is a very different beast to Darlington in say 2010. It is unrealistic and unfair to demand from the club or its volunteers the club acts as promptly as a club with full time staff. It puts an unfair and unrealistic demand on those volunteers and is likely to put people off volunteering

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:02 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Radar wrote:
DarloDave40 wrote:

Exactly I'm frustrated at the delay. Normally a manager is announced fairly soon after interviews. This appointment could be over a week after people were interviewed. We need our new manager to take training sessions before Saturday's game, so that they can put their stamp and philosophy into our team.
It's going to take more than a couple of training sessions for a new manager to put their 'stamp and philosophy' ( :lol: ) on our team.

This is an extremely important decision for our club. Is that really something you want rushed through just so the new manager can take an extra training session or two?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Radar

Post by Radar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 am

[/quote]You interview then negotiate a wage. It probably would have been 'easy' to just agree to wage demands but that wouldn't have been good for the club.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk[/quote]

The fact we have offered the job to somebody and its hit a brick wall shows we have made mistakes during the interview process. Approximate salaries, budgets, working provisions and minor details are spoken about in the interview. Im pretty sure this will have all been done and Alun Armstrong agreed a deal in principal. The blocker was Blyth Spartans. Where we have gone wrong, is leaking the news we had Armstrong in the bag before Blyth had any knowledge of it. In short, we didn't qualify Alun Armstrongs position from the get go, meaning we wasted time interviewing a manager we were never going to get.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:16 am

Radar wrote:
shawry wrote:You interview then negotiate a wage. It probably would have been 'easy' to just agree to wage demands but that wouldn't have been good for the club.

The fact we have offered the job to somebody and its hit a brick wall shows we have made mistakes during the interview process. Approximate salaries, budgets, working provisions and minor details are spoken about in the interview. Im pretty sure this will have all been done and Alun Armstrong agreed a deal in principal. The blocker was Blyth Spartans. Where we have gone wrong, is leaking the news we had Armstrong in the bag before Blyth had any knowledge of it. In short, we didn't qualify Alun Armstrongs position from the get go, meaning we wasted time interviewing a manager we were never going to get.
From what I can see, there's only speculation that Armstrong was even in the running. Nothing solid at all to suggest he's been offered a job, turned us down, or that Blyth have blocked a move.
Last edited by Spyman on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

DC

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 am

Radar wrote:
You interview then negotiate a wage. It probably would have been 'easy' to just agree to wage demands but that wouldn't have been good for the club.

How do you know what form the Interview took?

no interview I have ever conducted or been in has discussed salary, working provisions or minor details...these are all matters discussed after the employer has decided they are interested in that person. The broad salary range etc are usually known before interview but fine detail negotiation only takes place after a job offer has been made.

That is not to say some interviews may not contain the details Radar suggests. Its a question of how he knows what wqas said in the confidential interview process
Last edited by spen666 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46 am

spen666 wrote:
Radar wrote:

no interview I have ever conducted or been in has discussed salary, working provisions or minor details...these are all matters discussed after the employer has decided they are interested in that person. The broad salary range etc are usually known before interview but fine detail negotiation only takes place after a job offer has been made.
Every interview I have been in has always mentioned wages and conditions etc, it's been a two way thing. I'm not saying you're wrong - different folks/different strokes and all that.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:56 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Radar wrote:

Every interview I have been in has always mentioned wages and conditions etc, it's been a two way thing. I'm not saying you're wrong - different folks/different strokes and all that.

You posted as I was changing my post to say the same thing ie interviews differ.

When you are interviewing 7 people why negotiate fine details with each person if you have not decided they are the person you want? If you have decided who you want, then why carry on interviewing others.

Interviews at professional levels are usually more about finding out what the person can bring, their ideas visions etc rather than fine details. t is not a simple case of can they do the job, its about finding someone who can take the club where the board want it to go.

My bigger question though is how come Radar knows what was said or discussed in interview

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 am

I think the communication has been good. We identified our preferred choice from those interviewed, but couldn't reach an agreement. It happens. We now move on to our next choice, but unfortunately our CEO is out of the country on business, so we have to wait for him to return. And that has been communicated clearly to explain the upcoming delay. Not sure what anyone can complain about really, unless they're just looking to have a moan

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Every interview I have been in has always mentioned wages and conditions etc, it's been a two way thing. I'm not saying you're wrong - different folks/different strokes and all that.
Disagree. In fact I've always thought that a focus on salary etc. was an indicator that the persons motivation was more heavily financial than job satisfaction / motivation.

All roles that I see are posted with a salary range which is determined based on experience etc. and is negotiated after interview.

I don't know many jobs now where there is a reliance on a single interview either. Organisational fit assessments / technical assessments / second interviews seem pretty normal.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:19 am

How quickly did anyone seriously expect it to be done? If Armstrong had wanted it, perhaps it would be done by now. It looks like he was first choice. As he's staying at Blyth, it then stands to reason that they have to assess other options.

Perhaps of the original options, they only felt Armstrong was up to the job? So they may now be interviewing others? As many others have stated, we have a two man, part time board, and it's an important decision.

I'll be stunned if it's Tommy Wright, i'd really rather we picked someone with more non league management experience, or if we're just going down the former player route, even Hignett would be a better option. That said, it doesn't make that much sense to me. I'd assume he lives somewhere around Nuneaton, is he just going to up sticks for a part time position? I can't see it myself.

Radar

Post by Radar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 am

spen666 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Radar wrote:

You posted as I was changing my post to say the same thing ie interviews differ.

When you are interviewing 7 people why negotiate fine details with each person if you have not decided they are the person you want? If you have decided who you want, then why carry on interviewing others.

Interviews at professional levels are usually more about finding out what the person can bring, their ideas visions etc rather than fine details. t is not a simple case of can they do the job, its about finding someone who can take the club where the board want it to go.

My bigger question though is how come Radar knows what was said or discussed in interview
Answer to your question is pretty simple in that I could not possibly know what was said in the interview. It's logical in interview to ask all Qualifying questions from employer to possible employee and vice versa. This would include everything I have already stated. If all of the questions of qualification had been put forward, we would not have found ourselves in the position we do. Had we known the exact position of Blyth Spartans from the very start (qualifying question) we would not of steered our attention to Armstrong. Everything I've said is surely logical?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:27 am

Radar wrote: Answer to your question is pretty simple in that I could not possibly know what was said in the interview. It's logical in interview to ask all Qualifying questions from employer to possible employee and vice versa. This would include everything I have already stated. If all of the questions of qualification had been put forward, we would not have found ourselves in the position we do. Had we known the exact position of Blyth Spartans from the very start (qualifying question) we would not of steered our attention to Armstrong. Everything I've said is surely logical?
Unless Armstrong has used the situation to strengthen his hand at Blyth and this has moved the goalposts beyond what was originally agreed. Hence further negotiations.

Or someone else has had input and done some s*** stirring to put Armstrong off. Very noticeable in the Blyth statement about their ground being conference national standard already, maybe someone has warned Armstrong that even with the extra seats we aren't at the level still.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:30 am

Here you go Pete. No need to put a DFCSG membership number in or anything, it's open to all fans:

http://dfcsg.co.uk/contact

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:45 am

there really are some women's vagina's on this board.

the team I follow up here in Edinburgh - Hearts - took almost four weeks to appoint a replacement for Ian Cathro when he got the elbow.

That's a Scottish premiership team taking their time. A reflection that Hearts have Anne Budge in charge who is a well respected business lady and knows her beans.

And even after four weeks they appointed Craig Levein who was already at Hearts as Director of Football.

thankfully we are lucky that our volunteer part time board appear averse to rushing in the new manager in the interests of the club.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 am

loan_star wrote:
Radar wrote: Answer to your question is pretty simple in that I could not possibly know what was said in the interview. It's logical in interview to ask all Qualifying questions from employer to possible employee and vice versa. This would include everything I have already stated. If all of the questions of qualification had been put forward, we would not have found ourselves in the position we do. Had we known the exact position of Blyth Spartans from the very start (qualifying question) we would not of steered our attention to Armstrong. Everything I've said is surely logical?
Unless Armstrong has used the situation to strengthen his hand at Blyth and this has moved the goalposts beyond what was originally agreed. Hence further negotiations.

Or someone else has had input and done some s*** stirring to put Armstrong off. Very noticeable in the Blyth statement about their ground being conference national standard already, maybe someone has warned Armstrong that even with the extra seats we aren't at the level still.
Well yeah, maybe. Although at this point, in terms of expectations, surely the board aren't really suggesting they expect to make the playoff? I know it's expanded this year, but right now, we simply don't look capable. The defence is too leaky, and the strikers aren't up to the required level. Perhaps if Beck gets himself fit and firing, it helps with the latter, but i still think we might be short on that front.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Pete, I often stick up for you on here and I know how passionate you are about the club but you need to wind your neck on in this and await the outcome!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:01 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:there really are some women's vagina's on this board.

the team I follow up here in Edinburgh - Hearts - took almost four weeks to appoint a replacement for Ian Cathro when he got the elbow.

That's a Scottish premiership team taking their time. A reflection that Hearts have Anne Budge in charge who is a well respected business lady and knows her beans.

And even after four weeks they appointed Craig Levein who was already at Hearts as Director of Football.

thankfully we are lucky that our volunteer part time board appear averse to rushing in the new manager in the interests of the club.
Good point & well made. Really need to learn from this example. Most fans are much too quick to cast aspersions whilst some are giving a good impression of Lance Corporal Jones. Let the Board sort things out, but in their own time & whoever they pick, we ALL have to get behind them.