Curzon Aston v Darlington match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DL5
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curzon Aston v Darlington match thread

Post by DL5 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 pm

It's quite clear, we kick on with Martin and investment or we part company and rattle around in league 6 or 7 as we are

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:50 pm

DL5 wrote:It's quite clear, we kick on with Martin and investment or we part company and rattle around in league 6 or 7 as we are
Only offer has been and is Raj.

Make your choice on that one. Our budget is in top 10 of this league so anyone who gets us in a relegation battle in this league is underachieving big time.

I stick with where we are.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:50 pm

I heard MG say Vaulks is not ready and needs to out on loan, he should be playing along side Collins put Galbraith to L B and Ferguson back in midfield JUST DO IT .

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:I heard MG say Vaulks is not ready and needs to out on loan, he should be playing along side Collins put Galbraith to L B and Ferguson back in midfield JUST DO IT .
That was in the echo today.

Needs Brown back or transfer listed/unfit Burgess before he pushes Galbraith to LB and Ferguson to LM.

I would have made the change you suggest, trust youth, not got much to lose the way things are going.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:56 pm

DL5 wrote:It's quite clear, we kick on with Martin and investment or we part company and rattle around in league 6 or 7 as we are

No it isn't that clear; your post is simplistic.

It is possible to have a smaller budget and to achieve more than we currently are doing. It is also possible to recruit better and have a more balanced squad. Whether that is possible with the current management team or not is not something I have any control over - others are in that particular chair.

Just because MG states that we MUST have a bigger budget, doesn't make it true
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Let's not forget that after agreeing a budget at the start of the season MG invited the players, directors and press along to his start of season meeting where he clearly stated that the aim was promotion. No if's or but's. Now things are going wrong the budget suddenly isn't enough.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:14 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:

It is possible to have a smaller budget and to achieve more than we currently are doing. It is also possible to recruit better and have a more balanced squad. Whether that is possible with the current management team or not is not something I have any control over - others are in that particular chair.

What is clear is that we need investment to make it out of this league and survive in the next, I'd be saying that if we were top of the league or mid table

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:21 pm

DL5 wrote:
Allan Quatermain wrote:

What is clear is that we need investment to make it out of this league and survive in the next, I'd be saying that if we were top of the league or mid table
No one wants to invest though, other than Raj?

So we either accept Raj, continue as we are or shut down the club. Which one do you pick?

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:30 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:I heard MG say Vaulks is not ready and needs to out on loan, he should be playing along side Collins put Galbraith to L B and Ferguson back in midfield JUST DO IT .
This.

Someone was going to win that game 1-0 and unfortunately not us.

Mendes had his kit on warming up pre match but I never saw him on the bench during the match?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:10 pm

You're saying we would never get investment with another manager in place?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Last edited by DL5 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:15 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
DL5 wrote:
Allan Quatermain wrote:

No one wants to invest though, other than Raj?

So we either accept Raj, continue as we are or shut down the club. Which one do you pick?
If those are the options then I'd rather continue as we are than take Singh's money because I don't trust him as far as I could kick him and believe me I could kick him quite far if I took a run up with my steely altbergs on

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:19 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
You're saying we would never get investment with another manager in place?
I'm not saying that but I don't think we should get rid of Gray at this time

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:25 pm

We couldn't afford to get rid of Gray unless he walked away. Isn't it on a 5 year contract? We just have to trim our budget and live within our means, and that includes the budget that goes on paying for a manager, an assistant manager, a coach and a goalkeeping coach. So many staff is a luxury we can't afford. It's fine when they deliver, but even then it was something we couldn't afford. When they fail to get results they can't assume their job is guaranteed.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Yarblockos wrote:We couldn't afford to get rid of Gray unless he walked away. Isn't it on a 5 year contract? We just have to trim our budget and live within our means, and that includes the budget that goes on paying for a manager, an assistant manager, a coach and a goalkeeping coach. So many staff is a luxury we can't afford. It's fine when they deliver, but even then it was something we couldn't afford. When they fail to get results they can't assume their job is guaranteed.
With the way he's forced the budget it could well be cheaper to get rid of him

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:36 pm

shawry wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:We couldn't afford to get rid of Gray unless he walked away. Isn't it on a 5 year contract? We just have to trim our budget and live within our means, and that includes the budget that goes on paying for a manager, an assistant manager, a coach and a goalkeeping coach. So many staff is a luxury we can't afford. It's fine when they deliver, but even then it was something we couldn't afford. When they fail to get results they can't assume their job is guaranteed.
With the way he's forced the budget it could well be cheaper to get rid of him

Be careful of what you wish for...Image

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Not long back from the match. We were awful. The performance was simply not good enough. We were an absolute shower of sh#te. Again.

We need changes.

I am off to bed.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:50 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Some very interesting posts on here, especially by Divas. For me I feel that things changed after MGs little speech at the fans' forum in April. Before then the team spirit had been amazing. The seats fiasco even seemed to galvanise the players more. Since then MG has kept going on about investment, which can't be easy for the players, as effectively MG has said that the squad isn't good enough and needs investment. I just think that all this stuff in the background must have affected our team spirit. In terms of MGs position, it's stronger in some ways since then and weaker in others. As Divas says, the guy in charge is MGs former business partner, so his position at the club is stronger in this regard, and he is also an ally in that he champions investment too. However, his regard and standing in general with regard to the fans is certainly not what it was. When Spyman says 'Something isn't right' I agree with this, and I think partly it's what I've just explained.
Maybe Gray should think about who really has the power in this situation.

His mate may be self-appointed chief executive, but the fans own the club and no significant changes can be made without our say so, regardless of whether Gray co-opts an entire squad of 'Yes' men to the board.

As has been said already, Gray said at the start of the season, with a squad in place, promotion was the aim. We're currently miles off that but his only answer is to demand more money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:47 am

Martin needs to re-set his sights. He's always talking about taking things one game at a time but he also needs to take things one season at a time.

The DFCSG Board also need to deploy a way to engage the members better to give all of us owners the opportunity to bolster them with our constant support and advice to make the club stronger, and make the board members themselves feel less isolated.

The occasional fans forums are reactive.
Last edited by Mr_Tibbs on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:17 am

MKDarlo wrote:Not long back from the match. We were awful. The performance was simply not good enough. We were an absolute shower of sh#te. Again.

We need changes.

I am off to bed.
Long way to come for such a crappy result.

As we said pre match the team looked good enough to win and dominated the game first half,as we did at Southport and North Ferriby.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:23 am

We don't know what's said in the dressing room and rightly so, but as long as Martin has the respect of the players I'm sure he will turn things around at some point. It seems improbable that he becomes a bad manager after a few disappointing performances and I prefer to judge him over the last five years than the last month.
I don't know if it's this simple but once the injuries are sorted what would be wrong with recreating the side that did so well earlier?
If dressing room support has been lost, I fear we're in worse trouble than than we thought.
Until the start of September I thought I was quids in to reap the rewards of the pre-season fiver I put on at 15:1 for us to lift the league trophy next April. Enough said about that.
I've lowered my expectations for this season, probably as you have, and now simply hope that we stay in this league at the end of this campaign and sort the ground out some more.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Probably the players knew before yesterday's game that Gray was going and that affected their performance.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:12 pm

divas wrote:Not helped with the budget?! What are you going on about man?! Just because he's always bleating on about wanting more doesn't mean it's not a great budget for this level. Other clubs are doing more on much less.
THIS!

And lets not forget that we chucked 40 grand of our own money in, and put prices up by £2 to shut him the fuck up!

We CANNOT do anything about rich clubs like Harrogate, Salford etc, or bigger clubs like York or Stockport, and York have a backer too.

It's just unfortunate that this league is currently full of money - but those clubs will soon move on and we will always have a good budget for the level if the fans stick by the club.

We just need some patience now, and we need to realise that it may take several years to get promoted, but what's wrong with that?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Quakerz wrote:
divas wrote:Not helped with the budget?! What are you going on about man?! Just because he's always bleating on about wanting more doesn't mean it's not a great budget for this level. Other clubs are doing more on much less.
THIS!

And lets not forget that we chucked 40 grand of our own money in, and put prices up by £2 to shut him the fuck up!

We CANNOT do anything about rich clubs like Harrogate, Salford etc, or bigger clubs like York or Stockport, and York have a backer too.

It's just unfortunate that this league is currently full of money - but those clubs will soon move on and we will always have a good budget for the level if the fans stick by the club.

We just need some patience now, and we need to realise that it may take several years to get promoted, but what's wrong with that?
True, in what you say and I agree. However, patience doesn't seem to exist in life and sport/football anymore, the generation of instant success or else, holds too much sway these days. Put simply if things start going backwards the sad thing is there won't be the interest and fans to fund the club at this level, and then your on a slippery slope until you bottom out back where you have started from.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Probably the players knew before yesterday's game that Gray was going and that affected their performance.
They didn't sack Mills till last night Pete

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
THIS!

True, in what you say and I agree. However, patience doesn't seem to exist in life and sport/football anymore, the generation of instant success or else, holds too much sway these days. Put simply if things start going backwards the sad thing is there won't be the interest and fans to fund the club at this level, and then your on a slippery slope until you bottom out back where you have started from.
The biggest thing is really that Gray was the driving force of promotion being a must.

He only mention being realistic when our bad run became longer than he expected.

Although I don't have a large circle of Darlo supporting friends every single one of the ones I know has been advocating allowing the infrastructure to catch up with the level we are at.

That said, I still think that we have a squad capable of the play offs, and obviously would be over the moon if we got promoted, I'm fairly certain most fans expected this to be our ceiling for a few seasons at least.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:52 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Probably the players knew before yesterday's game that Gray was going and that affected their performance.
They didn't sack Mills till last night Pete
They'll probably still have had wind of it, I'm sure they will have contacted Gray before they sacked Mills.