Darlington FC V Leamington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlo2001uk
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Leamington Match Thread

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Why would people come to see us given our recent performances and results?

And why would they want to keep chucking money in for seats when we are heading towards a a relegation fight?

One for our resident keyboard warriors to explain to me.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:04 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:Why would people come to see us given our recent performances and results?

And why would they want to keep chucking money in for seats when we are heading towards a a relegation fight?

Because, in the end, without an acceptable benefactor it's only going to be the fans who turn up will keep this club moving forward. It's in our hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:05 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:Why would people come to see us given our recent performances and results?

Your first question is valid for those whose commitment isn't quite 100%

You are right to ask the second question but not because of us heading for a relegation fight because that isn't going to happen. Bet you didn't think that after Salford away did you?

In many ways, next week's game is one of the most important games since 2012... a win and we're another step along in a cup run that has the potential to have a significant financial impact on the club. Lose and not only are we out of the cup, we miss out on much needed revenue and that last push for the next phase will wither away and our season will be effectively done.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:12 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
H1987 wrote:Brutal attendance, brutal result.

Attendances i thought would be higher, but i think BM leaves a lot to be desired. Aside from being able to go for a beer and walk from the town, I think HP was actually a better experience. Sigh. We'll get there. There'll be more days like this though.
I've been saying this since we moved there it's not a solution for me and NOT home and NEVER will it doesn't matter how much money we raise, it's a s*** ground end of!!! Shame as I love the club it's my home town club... 2000 for the FA cup do me a favour...
I feel pretty much exactly the same BUT whats the alternative? The Arena? I suppose we could try and save up millions to build our own ground, but we can't even afford any more seats right now.

BM is what we've got, so we have to try and make BM as good as it can be.
Yeah the arena.
Mowden didn't want us, so I don't know why I put that as an alternative :lol:

Plus, the Arena was absolutely dreadful. IMO even today's atmosphere - the worst it's been at BM - was better than most games at the Arena.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:16 pm

The issue is that the committed fans will continue to keep chipping in - and full credit to every single person who does that.

But we need to entice those people who are not diehard Darlo fans, those who won't go to every game week in, week out, come rain, hail or sun.

A struggling team will keep those people away and the net effect of that is that we don't receive that additional revenue we need.

The balance - and it is a difficult one to find - is having a playing budget and a team that is strong enough to keep us in the top 10 of the division to keep those people attending and contributing.

Swans - I thought we hugely over-achieved last season and a win at a totally rebuilt Salford team did nothing to change my opinion. Why are you so convinced that a terrible crop of injuries, players out of form and naive tactics are not the catalyst for us to drop into trouble?

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:55 pm

On a positive note i thought Vaulks had a good game when he came on.
At the moment we need a bit/lot of luck and the ball to drop in our favour to give us some confidence

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Today we had a team that lacked confidence against a poor team, and while we had the majority of possession most of it was played with a slow build up giving them time to get back and defend (much like at Chorley on the odd occasion we attacked). We have players who are playing well Bartlett and Turnbull for example and none of the others playing particularly badly, but not playing as a team, with no running off the ball or having any ideas how to break down a defence (Chorley showed us how to play - fast, strong with movement across the pitch and supporting each other). The team seems to lack pace and formation, looking tired in the last few games, the opposite of earlier in the season (makes you wonder a touch at the training as most teams seem to be faster and stronger than us).
The high point I thought was Jack Vaulx who looked comfortable in centre half when he came on (winning headers, good awareness and quick) makes you wonder why MG does not pick him at the start of games given the problems we have at centre half.
Also think we should be giving Wheatley a chance now as he has looked good when we have seen him, with vision and good ball control.

I am clearly no football manager but we often have only two real midfielders (Turnbull and Syers) playing in games which puts pressure on the defence and often leaves midfield over run. Time to try four midfielders Turnbull, Syers, Wheatley and Portus? to control midfield and feed the two forwards.

Wed game now crucial for points and a FA Cup run needed to help get the fans back and making a noise to create an atmosphere to help boost the players on the field.

trevstanley
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by trevstanley » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Made my first visit today. Oh dear! I understand that much work has to be done but i didn't think as much! It did not feel like a football ground! To me it looked like a training ground attached to a cricket pavilion! I actually quite enjoyed the game but i had the same feeling watching it as i do when i watch one of our local park games! Now i am sure the club is doing its best to improve things with the funds they have and i wish them all the best and will continue to support.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:14 pm

MG on his interview implied he was going to try and get some loanees in. He is right in what he says. 6 defenders out at once will massively affect the shape of the team.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:23 pm

al_quaker wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Attendances i thought would be higher, but i think BM leaves a lot to be desired. Aside from being able to go for a beer and walk from the town, I think HP was actually a better experience. Sigh. We'll get there. There'll be more days like this though.
I've been saying this since we moved there it's not a solution for me and NOT home and NEVER will it doesn't matter how much money we raise, it's a s*** ground end of!!! Shame as I love the club it's my home town club... 2000 for the FA cup do me a favour...
I feel pretty much exactly the same BUT whats the alternative? The Arena? I suppose we could try and save up millions to build our own ground, but we can't even afford any more seats right now.

Yeah the arena.

Plus, the Arena was absolutely dreadful. IMO even today's atmosphere - the worst it's been at BM - was better than most games at the Arena.
Didn't... past tense.

I just don't like this ground at all, and the rugby club have made us feel about as welcome as a fart in a lift... I won't put a penny behind that bar. The only thing I prefer about the match day experience is the pre match pints in town, nice and easy to have a beer in Tanners and 22s and not have to then walk miles or get a bus, but that's as far as it goes...

I know people are going to come out with "well we're here so we need to make the best of it", there's no need to tell me, I'm resigned to that fact... I'm just saying I'd rather go back to the arena, and I didn't actually like the arena...

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:28 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Swans - I thought we hugely over-achieved last season and a win at a totally rebuilt Salford team did nothing to change my opinion. Why are you so convinced that a terrible crop of injuries, players out of form and naive tactics are not the catalyst for us to drop into trouble?
Both this season and last I've seen enough to convince me we are good enough to push for a play off place... At times last season we were sublime, Harrogate away, best I've seen us play for as long as I can remember...

We were superb in the second half at York this season...

Funnily enough we went on a horrible slump after Harrogate away last season... we finished that day a point behind Fylde...

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:37 pm

Am I missing something...I don't really understand what the rugby club have done anymore? There were teething issues but all were resolved pretty quick and as far as I can make out any residual ill feeling towards the rugby club just feels misplaced?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:37 pm

I *hated* the arena, and don't ever want to see us back there on a permanent basis.

I think part of the hate came from it simply not being Feethams, which frankly i'm still not over we abandoned, and possibly never will be. It makes me so utterly furious to think about how we left a perfect sized, town centre stadium, which needed a bit of work, but it would've cost buttons compared to the Arena. Absolute buttons. The other half was simply sitting, watching games in the miserable cold, with 2-3,000 of us rattling around in a ridiculous sized, soulless bowl. Fk me, it's barely smaller than the Riverside Stadium. How was that ever thought appropriate?

Rant over old business aside... what else could we do? We can't afford to build our own stadium. It would cost millions. Without a wealthy investor who isn't coming, it isn't happening. Going to BM gave us basic infrastructure. Changing rooms, a bar, a suite. Meaning all we had to build were basic stands. So all of that aside, even *if* we somehow managed to get the money together, where else could we build one? There's no spare land anywhere near the town to do it. It's likely the most feasible option would be at Blackwell anyway, albeit building on another bit of the land next to BM. Anything else would probably be further from the town that it is now.

As for atmosphere, i'm afraid unless you're in the tinshed, it just doesn't carry. You can't hear a thing unless you're in, or next to it. It's all too open and exposed. We're further away from the pitch than we were at HP as well, and the banks on the sides and the seats at the opposite end made it feel a little more like a stadium. Last winter was mild, it's going to be a bit grim in winter if we have a bad one. Imagine if it's blowing into the tinshed, there's basically no escape. I don't want to be too negative, but as it stands, it's simply worse than Heritage Park (and I know the capacity is somehow larger, but frankly it feels like it creaks at 2,000, where as at HP I felt you could comfortably get more in at capacity).

On the pitch... we need to control the game more. That means taking control of the midfield. I don't think playing Syers and Gillies at the same time is a great idea. I'd include Thompson in there also. It's fine to have one passenger, but at times all three of them are. I don't know that Wheatley is exactly a combative, central midfielder, but heck he can't be worse than the invisible men.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:49 pm

[quote="darlo2001uk"]The issue is that the committed fans will continue to keep chipping in - and full credit to every single person who does that.

But we need to entice those people who are not diehard Darlo fans, those who won't go to every game week in, week out, come rain, hail or sun.

A struggling team will keep those people away and the net effect of that is that we don't receive that additional revenue we need.

The balance - and it is a difficult one to find - is having a playing budget and a team that is strong enough to keep us in the top 10 of the division to keep those people attending and contributing.

Swans - I thought we hugely over-achieved last season and a win at a totally rebuilt Salford team did nothing to change my opinion. Why are you so convinced that a terrible crop of injuries, players out of form and naive tactics are not the catalyst for us to drop into trouble?[/quote

When fully fit, we have a squad capable of staying in the top 10. What we don't have, and can't afford at the moment, is a top 5 side. What are we expected to do to get these players who will transform us and encourage the "floaters"to return? The league we find ourselves in is a totally different beast to what we perhaps thought it would be when we restarted in the NL. Who expected this number of full time teams? This number of bankrolled teams? This number of teams with bigger support than us? We don't have the resources to compete for the top players, and people need to start being realistic. I'm not unduly worried about today's 'crowd. It's the first of three home games, and potentially the least attractive. However, in a weeks time we might have an idea where we are heading. Do we have the patience to stick with the club if, for the first time since our rebirth, we have a season where we are not challenging? Or are we destined to exist as a NLN/Evostik Prem fixture for the forseeable future, as crowds reach our true diehard level. As for today's crowd, like the players they were disappointing. Little support, lots of moaning. Instead of trying to encourage the team on, most of the tin shed spent the first half encouraging the ball boy instead in a childish game of wind up the keeper. On the pitch, we lack creativity. We create little outside of set pieces, and when they are as bad as today, we really struggle, especially without a long throw option. No point Gillies playing on the right, he hasn't got a right foot, so turns back or comes inside all the time. I bet that's the first time Syers has played right back in his life. I hope its the last. Be interesting to see how Gray copes with our present situation. Is he a good coach when he doesn't have the best players?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:56 pm

I'm actually going to stick up for BM here. I think the surroundings are attractive, it's a modern structure, and we've got to remember we're only just starting out there. And most importantly, it's in Darlo. I asked my 9 year old a few weeks ago whether he prefers BM or Heritage Park, and his answer was 'BM. It's bigger, and it's home'. (Meaning Darlington) Nuff said for me. It'll get better in time.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:57 pm

lo36789 wrote:Am I missing something...I don't really understand what the rugby club have done anymore? There were teething issues but all were resolved pretty quick and as far as I can make out any residual ill feeling towards the rugby club just feels misplaced?
As you walk up you see Welcome to Darlington RFC, then as you approach the ground you see a big flag pole with a Darlington RFC flag (and another flag pole with no flag on it), and a sign on the side of the club saying Darlington RFC... finally you see a Vanarama sign with Welcome to Darlington on it, because we were made to remove FC... I'm surprised any away fans find the ground. Why can we not put a sign up saying we play here as well, this is our home?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:06 pm

But heritage park which had zero "Darlington" signage was ok and the Arena which says Darlington Mowden Park RFC all over it would also be ok?

We should have made a sign which said "Welcome to the home of Darlington FC" instead we decided to be deliberately provocative and put "Welcome to Darlington FC" - who's fault is that?

You think away fans just turn up places and look for signs? When you go away you just set the sat nav for "place name" and assume you will stumble across a well signposted ground. Don't talk nonsense.

So your big gripe is a sign then when it all boils down to it. I hate the match experience it doesn't feel like home because when I am inside the ground I know there was no sign outside telling me where I was.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:10 pm

H1987 wrote:I *hated* the arena, and don't ever want to see us back there on a permanent basis.

I think part of the hate came from it simply not being Feethams, which frankly i'm still not over we abandoned, and possibly never will be. It makes me so utterly furious to think about how we left a perfect sized, town centre stadium, which needed a bit of work, but it would've cost buttons compared to the Arena. Absolute buttons. The other half was simply sitting, watching games in the miserable cold, with 2-3,000 of us rattling around in a ridiculous sized, soulless bowl. Fk me, it's barely smaller than the Riverside Stadium. How was that ever thought appropriate?
I didn't like the arena and no move there would ever be permanent.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:14 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Am I missing something...I don't really understand what the rugby club have done anymore? There were teething issues but all were resolved pretty quick and as far as I can make out any residual ill feeling towards the rugby club just feels misplaced?
As you walk up you see Welcome to Darlington RFC, then as you approach the ground you see a big flag pole with a Darlington RFC flag (and another flag pole with no flag on it), and a sign on the side of the club saying Darlington RFC... finally you see a Vanarama sign with Welcome to Darlington on it, because we were made to remove FC... I'm surprised any away fans find the ground. Why can we not put a sign up saying we play here as well, this is our home?
The fact that we weren't allowed a sign that says Darlington FC, but then the rugby club erect a big new sign on the side of the clubhouse over the summer was a bit of a kick in the teeth when I first saw it. Imagine how good it would have looked if the football club badge was sat next to the rugby club badge outside the clubhouse. Would have helped the process of BM feeling like home, and a true sporting hub....

On the plus side - the pitch still looked good despite the rugby season starting.

SwansQuaker83

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:19 pm

lo36789 wrote:But heritage park which had zero "Darlington" signage was ok and the Arena which says Darlington Mowden Park RFC all over it would also be ok?

We should have made a sign which said "Welcome to the home of Darlington FC" instead we decided to be deliberately provocative and put "Welcome to Darlington FC" - who's fault is that?

You think away fans just turn up places and look for signs? When you go away you just set the sat nav for "place name" and assume you will stumble across a well signposted ground. Don't talk nonsense.

So your big gripe is a sign then when it all boils down to it. I hate the match experience it doesn't feel like home because when I am inside the ground I know there was no sign outside telling me where I was.
You don't half talk some rubbish....

HP was never our permanent home, we didn't sign a 25 year lease on the place....

Of course the arena says Mowden all over it, coz only Mowden play there! And you obviously know that MP wouldn't let us put any signage up,.I assume you've spoken to them and clarified that...

As for the two messages on the sign... how on God's earth is Welcome to Darlington FC any more provocative than Welcome to the Home Of??

We put a sign up saying Welcome to Darlington FC because we didn't think that our hosts would be so pathetic... obviously they are, so we were made to display a sign that doesn't allow us to identify ourselves with the place at home.

Why does every football club in the land put signage up all over then? Why waste the money if it isn't important?

You can spout all the boll0x you want, a LOT of fans are saying the same thing I am...

lo36789

Re: Darlington FC V Leamington Match Threads

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:22 pm

You can't see any difference between welcome to the home of v welcome to at all?

One is a declaration of possession one is a declaration of residency. Pretty sure if you were renting a property and started trying to put your name on the deeds the owner would have something to say.

al_quaker

Re: Darlington FC V Leamington Match Threads

Post by al_quaker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:27 pm

lo36789 wrote:You can't see any difference between welcome to the home of v welcome to at all?
As far as I understand, all the rugby club were prepared to accept was "Welcome to Darlington", so neither 'home of Darlington FC or 'welcome to Darlington FC' were acceptable. Those pesky FC letters...

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 pm

I think in hindsight, replacing the pitch was a waste of money. There are teams at our level and higher that play on far worse than last season's at BM. The fact that it seems like tactically we aren't playing the ball enough on the floor, begs the question what was the point and in terms of priorities was it that pressing?

Surely priority should have been 1. Stands/seating 2. Maintaining playing squad 3. Pitch improvements?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:34 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:I think in hindsight, replacing the pitch was a waste of money. There are teams at our level and higher that play on far worse than last season's at BM. The fact that it seems like tactically we aren't playing the ball enough on the floor, begs the question what was the point and in terms of priorities was it that pressing?

Surely priority should have been 1. Stands/seating 2. Maintaining playing squad 3. Pitch improvements?
The suggestion is that we had to do as part of the funding we got from the FSIF. Not sure if that's true or not, but would explain why we did the pitch first if it is true.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Of course, the fact is none of this hand-wringing about BM, signage, Heritage Park etc, etc would be happening on here if we were three points clear at the top of the league.

HarrytheQuaker

Darlington FC V Leamington Match Thread

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:09 pm

lo36789 wrote:You can't see any difference between welcome to the home of v welcome to at all?

One is a declaration of possession one is a declaration of residency. Pretty sure if you were renting a property and started trying to put your name on the deeds the owner would have something to say.
How many people do u think would be attracted to come and watch IF there were a sign outside on the road side saying Darlington v ........... whoever on Saturday?? At least it's a bit of advertising the fact there is a game on.. I'm sure Mowden pk have one saying who they play next...Hardy welcoming and that's the point
lo36789 wrote:But heritage park which had zero "Darlington" signage was ok and the Arena which says Darlington Mowden Park RFC all over it would also be ok?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Last edited by HarrytheQuaker on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:25 pm

al_quaker wrote:
SwansQuaker83 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Yeah the arena.

I think I have mentioned this before. Yes at the time we were first looking for a 'home' in Darlington, Mowden Park were not keen. However, since last summer and an overhaul of their board, which incidentally helped to get the Newcastle and Sunderland friendly matches hosted at the Arena as well as the one this year, there seems to be a more welcoming invitation. Also, whether or not they are tight for cash or whatever other rumours, they have made a pretty decent start 2 wins from 2 in National League 1 and are further up the rugby pyramid than DRFC = better potential as a pairing. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Not getting the breaks at the moment, really tough on MG with up to 6 defenders out and to be honest making it virtually impossible to string results together as several players are being played out of position.Trying to be positive, if we can get Marrs and Brown back, and Collins and Galbraith are fit, then Ferguson can revert back to wide left and Portas can revert back to midfield.Syers needs dropping altogether, hardly any pace and was again poor today.Play Gillies/Thommo on the right which leaves the strikers...therein lies a major problem with Beck having an awful run of form and probably needs dropping to the bench but we only have young Harvey to bring in.This is the area that needs addressing IMO, I am happy with the rest of the team and if MG can sort this area out we will pick up without doubt so not all doom and gloom.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:19 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Be interesting to see how Gray copes with our present situation. Is he a good coach when he doesn't have the best players?
I agree with the above! In fact I'll go one step further, I mean - 9 points after 3 games - 12 points after 10 games!! Are our players really that bad?

How come we struggle to think of any creative ideas as to how to score from open play against the lesser teams? How come we struggle to think of any creative ideas as to how to score from set pieces against the lesser teams.

What's happened to Beck? He never seems to be quite in the right place. He doesn't seem to be able to get to grips with the simple stuff, i.e. getting on the end of a good cross or a corner.

Lots of questions here - and with Wednesday and F.A. Cup day looming, I am concerned.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:28 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Of course, the fact is none of this hand-wringing about BM, signage, Heritage Park etc, etc would be happening on here if we were three points clear at the top of the league.
In my opinion, it would be more reason to think about how we create an infrastructure to sustain these aspirations. My view is that the club have focused far too much on apportioning revenue to playing success when other things needed fixing. I don't see any way this club can sustain s team in the conference in its present shape