Darlington FC V Spennymoor match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Wainy247
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Spennymoor match thread

Post by Wainy247 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:29 pm

The breeze was a factor today. Spenny had it in their favour first half and it probably added about 20 yards to each goal kick.

Agree about the penalty, Ferguson was clipped and the ref bottled it.

Carl Airey

Post by Carl Airey » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:38 pm

I never comment normally on a match thread but how that wasn't given a penalty by the referee for the trip on Ferguson I'll never know!!

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:44 pm

al_quaker wrote:Spennymoor battered us first half, we battered them for most of the second. Spennymoor looked a very good side in the 1st half - full of pace and movement. We put them under pressure in the 2nd half, and they started to crack a bit. We should have had a penalty too if it wasn't for an incredibly inept piece of refereeing.

Slightly disappointing crowd considering it was a bank holiday. Spennymoor aren't the most appealing of opposition, but I would have thought we could have had a few more. Saying that, it was still 2 or 3 deep standing on flat standing - we can't expect people to pay £14 for half a view.

Hopefully we can carry that second half performance into the next few games
That's the issue we have currently, people staying away because they don't want to be stuck with the same issue as the first game.

This will improve as we improve the ground though.

I'm happy enough with crowds of between 1.7 and 2k, as it's a solid enough base to build upon and won't be as much of a problem once we work through the 500 club years.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:46 pm

I wouldn't say Spennymoor battered us first half, far from it. They looked good because we gave them so much time on the ball, stood off them and let them play. We hit the self destruct button once again, losing possession from our own throw in then Marrs didn't get anywhere near tight enough to Foley who finished well.
Have to give credit to us as we came out for the second half a different team with more heart and desire. Gray should have changed things earlier imo, we were on top and he waited till about 80mins to change things around. Fenwick offered nothing and was caught offside four times within 10 minutes.
There were a lot of opportunities second half where we could have snuck a winner, there was a lot of balls that dropped in the box that had we gambled or had a striker waiting to pounce on we could have pinched something.

Draw a fair result but feels disappointing. Had we won on Saturday or taken four points from Telford and North Ferriby then a draw today would have looked a good result. However it's not 3pts from 12 and no win in 4
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:02 pm

A draw was a fair result. Spenny had the better of the first half, we had the better of the second half. We don't seem to be creating chances and lack a bit of flair from the lads that usually bring it at the moment. Referee killed any chance of an entertaining game today, absolutely dreadful, gave Spenny soft foul after soft foul and missed a series of blatant ones the other way, including an absolutely certain penalty.

Don't think Collins is an improvement on what we had last season. He got better in the second half today but thought he was an odd choice for MOTM after looking shaky all first half. He's too easily caught out with anything over his head or in behind, and once he is caught out he never looks capable of recovering and teams seem to recognize it early in games now.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 pm

polarbear wrote:Think spennymoor edged it, should of maybe won it with the 2 chances at the death, 373 spennymoor fans, a few more than that, as a few paid into the Darlington side who don't like standing behind goal, including me an another 4.
Yeah, I was stood near a Spennymoor supporting family in the first half, about 5 of them wonder if it included you? Just where the red seats were.

Obviously at least 300 of the fans in the away end were Darlo fans who like to stand at that end, so there was only 73 Spenny fans there really, plus you 5 ;)

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:28 pm

As for the match, I thought Spennymoor were much better than us in the first half. They were solid at the back and looked good going forward.

In the second half it was roles reversed as we had them pegged back for long periods, but we were really one dimensional.

Curtis is a great player for them, would love to see him in a Darlo shirt, Foley looked useful too.

Overall, 1-1 was a fair result.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Pete, put me out of my misery....why did you have to miss the game?!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:32 pm

quakersam wrote:I wouldn't say Spennymoor battered us first half, far from it. They looked good because we gave them so much time on the ball, stood off them and let them play. We hit the self destruct button once again, losing possession from our own throw in then Marrs didn't get anywhere near tight enough to Foley who finished well.
Have to give credit to us as we came out for the second half a different team with more heart and desire. Gray should have changed things earlier imo, we were on top and he waited till about 80mins to change things around. Fenwick offered nothing and was caught offside four times within 10 minutes.
There were a lot of opportunities second half where we could have snuck a winner, there was a lot of balls that dropped in the box that had we gambled or had a striker waiting to pounce on we could have pinched something.

Draw a fair result but feels disappointing. Had we won on Saturday or taken four points from Telford and North Ferriby then a draw today would have looked a good result. However it's not 3pts from 12 and no win in 4
Completely agree with your comment about Fenwick.He clearly wants to be somewhere else and the sooner he is the better.OK the man hasn't had a lot of game time to keep him interested but surely when you get the nod you try to prove yourself.He came on at a point in the game when we were pushing for a winner but I don't think he broke sweat,just ambled about and broke our play up by being offside .

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:59 pm

A good game against a decent opposition. Our midfield seemed to be the problem today. The usual calm Turnbull's passing was woeful, maybe the breeze was the issue? Syers was non-existent and Gillies and Thompson seemed to be taking up the same positions too often. Brown and Collins were decent I thought. If you look over my posts throughout last year, you will see I have never been convinced by Marrs and after today I still am not. Fenwick is a waste of a sub, would have much preferred Saunders to be on the bench.

Like everyone else has said, the ref was abysmal and the non-penalty award was atrocious.

All in all a deserved point.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:07 pm

polarbear wrote:?..should of maybe won it wi.....
Should have.

I was taught and learned this aged around 9 years old.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:A good game against a decent opposition. Our midfield seemed to be the problem today. The usual calm Turnbull's passing was woeful, maybe the breeze was the issue? Syers was non-existent and Gillies and Thompson seemed to be taking up the same positions too often. Brown and Collins were decent I thought. If you look over my posts throughout last year, you will see I have never been convinced by Marrs and after today I still am not. Fenwick is a waste of a sub, would have much preferred Saunders to be on the bench.

Like everyone else has said, the ref was abysmal and the non-penalty award was atrocious.

With you on Syers. He has some superb moments and chips in with goals but he does far too little over the course of a game to be starting in centre mid. Decent impact sub, but would much rather see Portas starting now he's back in the picture.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:32 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:Pete, put me out of my misery....why did you have to miss the game?!
I almost got to the game, I was walking past Blackwell Hotel, when I got a call from the trouble and strife about a domestic emergency. :roll:

offside

Post by offside » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:48 am

Breedon wrote:A draw was a fair result. Spenny had the better of the first half, we had the better of the second half. We don't seem to be creating chances and lack a bit of flair from the lads that usually bring it at the moment. Referee killed any chance of an entertaining game today, absolutely dreadful, gave Spenny soft foul after soft foul and missed a series of blatant ones the other way, including an absolutely certain penalty.

Don't think Collins is an improvement on what we had last season. He got better in the second half today but thought he was an odd choice for MOTM after looking shaky all first half. He's too easily caught out with anything over his head or in behind, and once he is caught out he never looks capable of recovering and teams seem to recognize it early in games now.
Thought Bartlett may of done better for the goal . Just don't know why Thompson is starting at the moment as he just isn't doing anything at all and it Was a absolute certainty of a penalty which the ref totally bottled. Thought the 2nd half Performance was really good

Thought Collins was superb throughout, won everything in the air and put some great tackles in especially towards the end stopping a certain goal, Would of been my pick for man of the match also

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:55 am

Thought we were completely one dimensional yet again. Agree with some of the Spennymoor fans unfortunately who were saying we have become a long throw, set piece, long ball team who are awful to watch! If Beck out of sorts then so are we!

I know Gray will say that it has served us well over a few seasons, but we have never ever been so predictable. When a team gives us no space, defenders look up to see where Beck is, end of story.

Yesterday's team was basically the same as previous year plus Collins, who is ok but is he really that much better than Brown, burgess, hunter? .

To improve each season, we all know that you add 2/3 quality players BETTER than we have and am sorry but he just hasnt done it this year. Even he must know that, as preferred Thompson up front rather than his 2 new signings, and that's after 3 weeks of the season.! When, ever, has he played well as a striker. Are any of these guys better than Cartman?

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:06 am

Game of two halves I thought.

Spenny edged the first and we edged the second. Both teams had chances to score though in either half. 1-1 was probably about right in the end. Although again I felt we were architects of our own woes in regards to the goal. Their goal comes from our throw in and then Marrs doesn’t quite get close enough to Foley.

I thought Dominic Collins had his best game in a Darlo shirt (at least from what I’ve seen of him – I missed the Salford game). Seemed to deal with everything that came our way.

I’ve commented on the referee on twitter but he was awful. He couldn’t even do the basics like get the throw ins taken from the right place.

We’ve made an interesting start to the season. We seemed to have picked up points where we didn’t expect any and dropped others where we should done better. That said the schedule is mental during the first month or so of the season and I honestly think Martin Gray is at his best when he has time on the training pitch. We just can’t do that as much during the opening stage of the season. Hopefully now the madness is coming to an end we find a little more consistency.

I was interested in our starts compared to previous seasons.

I’m wondering if there is an element of us being more of a known quantity this season? Last season we had 16pts after 7 games but were new to the division. In the Evo-Stik Premier we had 15pts after 7 games (again we were new to that division). 2014/15 we picked up 12pts after 7 games but like this season we’d had a season prior to that at Evo-Stik Division 1. The season before that, our first in Evo-Stik Division 1, we picked up 16pts.

That of course could mean absolutely nothing. I do think the division is far more competitive this time around.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:14 am

Darlobaz79 wrote:A good game against a decent opposition. Our midfield seemed to be the problem today. The usual calm Turnbull's passing was woeful, maybe the breeze was the issue? Syers was non-existent and Gillies and Thompson seemed to be taking up the same positions too often. Brown and Collins were decent I thought. If you look over my posts throughout last year, you will see I have never been convinced by Marrs and after today I still am not. Fenwick is a waste of a sub, would have much preferred Saunders to be on the bench.

Agree with most of the above but I think the ref missed so much in terms of decisions on the penalty (why would anyone go down in the box when you are past the defender?), Syers totally ineffective, Thommo lacking confidence to take on the man, Gillies not tackling back, Marrs leaving too much daylight between himself and Foley which Foley then took full advantage of.

Someone needs to explain the laws of the game to Fenwick, in particular off-side as he managed to attract the attention of the cretinous assistant 5 times in 10 minutes (surely some kind of record?).

I was a little surprised that Portas did not start and consequently Turnbull was swamped by lack of support in midfield, so little evidence of the short passing game to create any chances. When Portas came on (rather too late in the day IMO) and Caton too, things did pick up, but Saunders would have been a better impact player than Fenwick. If only Beck had taken his early chance(s), Spennymoor would have had to work much harder and I think we could have taken all 3 points...but he didn't.

We need someone up front who can put away half chances and some enthusiasm. I hear Farsley Celtic have a player who fits the bill........ ;)

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:17 am

Quakerlad wrote:Thought we were completely one dimensional yet again. Agree with some of the Spennymoor fans unfortunately who were saying we have become a long throw, set piece, long ball team who are awful to watch! If Beck out of sorts then so are we!

I know Gray will say that it has served us well over a few seasons, but we have never ever been so predictable. When a team gives us no space, defenders look up to see where Beck is, end of story.

Yesterday's team was basically the same as previous year plus Collins, who is ok but is he really that much better than Brown, burgess, hunter? .

To improve each season, we all know that you add 2/3 quality players BETTER than we have and am sorry but he just hasnt done it this year. Even he must know that, as preferred Thompson up front rather than his 2 new signings, and that's after 3 weeks of the season.! When, ever, has he played well as a striker. Are any of these guys better than Cartman?
Totally agree with this, we never got behind there defence once and they easily dealt with the high balls for the 90 mins.They had pace up front which I prefer in a team rather then keep launching it to Beck all the time.Hall and Foley were quick but we defended well overall.My big concern is midfield and upfront.I fail to see what MG sees in Syers, has to be Portas for me and Beck and Caton are not natural goalscorers and Gray obviously does not rate Fenwick who I would have thought should have started ahead of Thommo who never clicks playing alongside Beck.Gray will not hang about if we are not taking our chances and without a win in 4 games and 2 goals scored I will not be surprised if there are players coming and going.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 am

Quakerlad wrote:Thought we were completely one dimensional yet again. Agree with some of the Spennymoor fans unfortunately who were saying we have become a long throw, set piece, long ball team who are awful to watch! If Beck out of sorts then so are we!

Collins has got to be better than Hunter (only because Hunter has a fractured tibia).

None of the new 'strikers' appear to be as good as Cartman, at least he understands the off-side rule which seems to be unknown to Fenwick. Very little coordination up front with several players going for the same ball as Beck rather than trying to feed off his flicks. Saunders would have been a better sub as he has pace (again this was sadly lacking up front)

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:31 am

Launching the ball to Beck simply gives away possession on too many occasions. Teams have us worked out.

It's so frustrating when we have the players in the squad to play the ball on the floor.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 pm

I didn't think it was a bad game between 2 competitive teams. Personally, I don't see either side really challenging for an instant promotion spot from what I saw but they'll be around the top 7/8 come season end. Darlo's preferred long ball style (2nd ball theory) which has served us fantastically well over many years may get found out at this level although managers like the late Graham Taylor have used it effectively in the past. It does seem a little one-dimensional at times. It is part of the reason why I like Cartman as it gives us a wholly different option and he works well with beck. Spennymoor's centre halves were big imposing types, better aerially than on the ground, and Cartman's trickery and ability to come short may have exploited this. Saying that I thought Tommo did ok. Brown my man of match.

Probably worth saying that the game was also played in oppressive heat yesterday. It was hot enough just standing in the tin shed. Spenny on top first half, darlo first 20 minutes of the 2nd half and then I thought both sets of players slightly ran out of steam. Neither side created what I call real hard core chances. I think high balls into the box are often conflated with real chances these days when they aren't. A relatively minor point that did disappoint me is that the players didn't come to clap the fans after the game. Some can't be assed with these things, some can but for the sake of a minute or 2 worth a thought.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:58 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:Launching the ball to Beck simply gives away possession on too many occasions. Teams have us worked out.

It's so frustrating when we have the players in the squad to play the ball on the floor.
Yes, spot on. We need to have a Plan B and hopefully when Portas is back to 100% match fit, he can link with Turnbull and between them they can create a lot more from midfield and also improve our possession. Then need to convert more of our chances & we should be in the mix for the play-offs.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Winless in 4 now. Another tough game at the weekend too.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:19 pm

AndyPark wrote:Winless in 4 now. Another tough game at the weekend too.
Suppose it depends how you want to spin it. The National League show described Gateshead as facing 'unbeaten' Ebbsfleet on Saturday.

I mean they had only once and drawn four, so by the same token we are on a two game unbeaten run...lets make it three...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:33 pm

Quakerlad wrote:

To improve each season, we all know that you add 2/3 quality players BETTER than we have and am sorry but he just hasnt done it this year.
Of course - but we don't actually need to improve this seasons, because we're not going to be eligible for the play-offs as things stand currently. Would you have us throw even more money at players we don't currently need or have a use for?

All that aside, after the York game everyone was raving about how much stronger we were than last year and that we were much stronger mentally. A couple of disappointing results and this has been forgotten.

In my mind, Gray has made a couple of questionable selections to accommodate his old favourites (Thompson in particular), when he would've been better sticking with a winning formula.

What Gray has done year on year is identify weaknesses and rectify them to put an end to disappointing results and I am sure he'll find a way to do that again at whatever cost.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

feethams

Post by feethams » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:42 pm

First half Spenny played some decent football and Chandler looked like he was completely bossing the game, however second half we seemed to pull our socks up and I thought we probably deserved the draw, could have taken 3 had the referee given a couple of the penalty shouts.

Ferguson is playing incredibly well on left midfield - we've got to avoid using him as cover at left back. I know Tez does well at centre back, but with Fergies form, it seems stupid to take him out of position.

Not sure what Syers is doing last few games, only ever seems to be Turnbull in centre midfield lately.

Fenwick is a complete waste of space - looks like sort of player who thought he could walk it in our league and has been found out. No desire at all. Bring back Carts. At least he would give you 100%

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Another incident the Ref. missed was the Chandler back kick to one of our players, I think it was to Portas, anyone else see it?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:04 pm

jjljks wrote: We need someone up front who can put away half chances and some enthusiasm. I hear Farsley Celtic have a player who fits the bill........ ;)
It's amazing how Cartman has turned into some incredibly prolific striker now that he's left us. I heard loads of "Cartman would've scored that" over the weekend, even for half chances which Danny Rowe would have struggled to score. There's a debate as to whether we've improved our striker options, and there's no doubt that Cartman is a decent player, hard worker and also seems a decent bloke, but he was hardly a prolific striker in the conference north last season.

Of course, if he does come back, I'd be delighted if he does go on to score loads :lol:

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Yeah, I saw the Chandler kick out, it was near the half way line right in front of the ref. 5 minutes later he then gets booked for stamping through Portas again I think.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

I clearly saw Taylor kick Gary Brown in a Beckham-esque fashion and Chandler punch/slap Gary Brown in the chest. Ref saw both and did nothing. Both sending-off offences in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk