No match thread!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Re: No match thread!

Post by princes town » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:I thought they played some decent stuff going forward. Their runners off the centre forward where better than ours, and they were more inventive. Thankfully, they were worse defensively than us. Thought Bartlett was pretty ropey tonight. If that had been Jameson...........Caton should have had a couple but lacked a bit of composure and Harvey should have had one, had he taken it first time. Good to think we can win and score 4, when we haven't played well.

Oh, and someone needs to tell Gillies it's still summer. Thought he was hibernating until his goal. Can't see the point of him on the right. He's all left foot, to an alarming degree.
I agree I thought Gainsborough played some nice stuff.

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by jjljks » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:42 am

Just went on to YouTube to check whether Tez's goal was as great as I first thought, then realised that thanks to the National Front (sorry) League overofficious regulations, I could only see last season's games - so I watched that 7 goal thriller again. Will have to wait another 24 hrs to see if Kev's coverage can shed any light on Tez's goal and the real cause of us conceding 3 goals at home.

I am not sure either team has progressed in the last 9 months. We need to win but also play a much more controlled and entertaining style if we are to build on this great start

One thing I can't understand is the flood of people who started leaving at 9.20 pm. It was not a done deal and either side could have scored right until the final kick, so why leave before the final whistle? People in the car park can't leave until the pedestrians have been given a head start on the lane, pubs still open, so can someone explain this :?:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:44 am

princes town wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:I thought they played some decent stuff going forward. Their runners off the centre forward where better than ours, and they were more inventive. Thankfully, they were worse defensively than us. Thought Bartlett was pretty ropey tonight. If that had been Jameson...........Caton should have had a couple but lacked a bit of composure and Harvey should have had one, had he taken it first time. Good to think we can win and score 4, when we haven't played well.

Oh, and someone needs to tell Gillies it's still summer. Thought he was hibernating until his goal. Can't see the point of him on the right. He's all left foot, to an alarming degree.
I agree I thought Gainsborough played some nice stuff.
On last night's display, they won't be threatened with relegation at the end of the season.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 am

jjljks wrote:Just went on to YouTube to check whether Tez's goal was as great as I first thought, then realised that thanks to the National Front (sorry) League overofficious regulations, I could only see last season's games - so I watched that 7 goal thriller again. Will have to wait another 24 hrs to see if Kev's coverage can shed any light on Tez's goal and the real cause of us conceding 3 goals at home.

I am not sure either team has progressed in the last 9 months. We need to win but also play a much more controlled and entertaining style if we are to build on this great start

One thing I can't understand is the flood of people who started leaving at 9.20 pm. It was not a done deal and either side could have scored right until the final kick, so why leave before the final whistle? People in the car park can't leave until the pedestrians have been given a head start on the lane, pubs still open, so can someone explain this :?:
I think they let you out of the car park if you're 10 mins before the end

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:02 am

Its game 1 at home and we took three points. So job done.

Plenty of work to be done (as there always is). With the exception of the first 10 minutes in the second half we gave them too much time on the ball. For that period we got in there faces, hurried them and turned the ball over quicker and higher up the pitch. Then annoyingly we switched off let them back into the game at 3-2 and it all sort of went a bit to pieces. Had we kept them out another 10 think we could have coasted home.

We lacked a little bit of a rabble rouser last night. No one obviously getting people going, Im not sure it comes naturally to Turnbull or Syers in midfield. A body like Cartman with his endless running may well have got the crowd into the game a little more last night. Saunders could well be that.

Collins, I thought individually he had a decent game. Actually of the back 4 I only thought Hunter had a bit of an off night (though as pointed out he was exposed at times). However I always seem to think individually our defenders do OK but as a unit we seem to get caught time and time again. However credit to GT they looked very tidy at times coming forward and sure that they will score goals, some really nice interchange at times from them.

Other new signing Caton, at times looked lively and pacey but didn’t do too much for me, missed his best opportunity (though was at the far end so may have been harder than I thought). Still potential for more to come.

My biggest gripe is the propensity to look for Beck all the time. Arguably we look really dangerous on the wings with Hunter, Galbraith, Gillies and Ferguson yet by going long and direct we miss them out of the game. I know Beck gets success but it’s not great to watch and once we meet a team that deals with it were a bit stuck. Think it’s a better Plan B than a Plan A, were capable of out playing most in this division.

Player wise the biggest positive for me last night was Ferguson. He tormented their right back at times last night (think at one point he was fouled 3 times in the space of 2 minutes) and looks quick, powerful and direct we just didn’t get the ball to him enough last night. We have the player in Turnbull to quickly change the side of play and I’m sure there is a lot of joy to come down the left.

Despite it being 4-3 I didn’t think it was a great game but on to Saturday and I’m looking forward to it, looks to be the making of a really good side.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Its game 1 at home and we took three points. So job done.

Plenty of work to be done (as there always is). With the exception of the first 10 minutes in the second half we gave them too much time on the ball. For that period we got in there faces, hurried them and turned the ball over quicker and higher up the pitch. Then annoyingly we switched off let them back into the game at 3-2 and it all sort of went a bit to pieces. Had we kept them out another 10 think we could have coasted home.

We lacked a little bit of a rabble rouser last night. No one obviously getting people going, Im not sure it comes naturally to Turnbull or Syers in midfield. A body like Cartman with his endless running may well have got the crowd into the game a little more last night. Saunders could well be that.

Collins, I thought individually he had a decent game. Actually of the back 4 I only thought Hunter had a bit of an off night (though as pointed out he was exposed at times). However I always seem to think individually our defenders do OK but as a unit we seem to get caught time and time again. However credit to GT they looked very tidy at times coming forward and sure that they will score goals, some really nice interchange at times from them.

Other new signing Caton, at times looked lively and pacey but didn’t do too much for me, missed his best opportunity (though was at the far end so may have been harder than I thought). Still potential for more to come.

My biggest gripe is the propensity to look for Beck all the time. Arguably we look really dangerous on the wings with Hunter, Galbraith, Gillies and Ferguson yet by going long and direct we miss them out of the game. I know Beck gets success but it’s not great to watch and once we meet a team that deals with it were a bit stuck. Think it’s a better Plan B than a Plan A, were capable of out playing most in this division.

Player wise the biggest positive for me last night was Ferguson. He tormented their right back at times last night (think at one point he was fouled 3 times in the space of 2 minutes) and looks quick, powerful and direct we just didn’t get the ball to him enough last night. We have the player in Turnbull to quickly change the side of play and I’m sure there is a lot of joy to come down the left.

Despite it being 4-3 I didn’t think it was a great game but on to Saturday and I’m looking forward to it, looks to be the making of a really good side.
Absolutely nailed it! Ferguson deserved Man of the Match more than Brown and I would have wanted someone in midfield to put their foot on it and vary the attack, rather than relying on Beck to create half-chances from the long punts. The lads who did come on did well but not in the same way Cartman used to do.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:14 am

jjljks wrote:
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Its game 1 at home and we took three points. So job done.

Absolutely nailed it! Ferguson deserved Man of the Match more than Brown and I would have wanted someone in midfield to put their foot on it and vary the attack, rather than relying on Beck to create half-chances from the long punts. The lads who did come on did well but not in the same way Cartman used to do.
Sorry meant to add that from where I was stood Gillies also took his goal very well. Was running back on to it from an awkard angle and to control the shot the way he did showed some real class. Can look lazy at times and does switch off but also at times a match winner.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 am

A genuine comment on facebook when they equalised to make it 3-3

"Our seasons looks in doubt of being over before it has begun"

Where do we get these people?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:34 am

lo36789 wrote:A genuine comment on facebook when they equalised to make it 3-3

"Our seasons looks in doubt of being over before it has begun"

Where do we get these people?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:51 am

The game was won until Bartlett came and got nowhere near the cross that gifted them the second goal. Up until that point we'd been comfortable I thought and the game looked to be a matter of how many more we'd get.

Ferguson outstanding first half, Beck dominant. First time I've seen Caton who looked very involved until he missed the third good chance then he went in to his shell for the rest of the night and hardly got a touch.

Their keeper was very poor too, dropped a simple cross to gift Syers his goal and not sure he looked very capable all night.

Six points to start though - excellent.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:35 am

Before the season started I'm sure we have more than accepted being joint first and joint highest scorers after 2 games.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:08 pm

From everything I've seen and read, it's obvious this is going to be a tougher league than last season. Gainsborough looked a much sharper outfit than last time around and have clearly strengthened well, like many of the clubs in the league including Saturday's opponents, Alfreton, who have signed 17 players.

It was a bit alarming last night that we weren't tight enough and gave them too much space, particularly in their second half, which their manager described as "outstanding." But on Saturday our defence was excellent and I think we'll get stronger and more consistent as we gel.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:03 pm

LoidLucan wrote: From everything I've seen and read, it's obvious this is going to be a tougher league than last season. Gainsborough looked a much sharper outfit than last time around and have clearly strengthened well, like many of the clubs in the league including Saturday's opponents, Alfreton, who have signed 17 players.

Apparently Alfreton are yet another team who have turned professional this season.

We went there last season and made them look daft, this won't happen on Saturday.

ps, :wave: to anyone reading this in Australia !!!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
LoidLucan wrote: From everything I've seen and read, it's obvious this is going to be a tougher league than last season. Gainsborough looked a much sharper outfit than last time around and have clearly strengthened well, like many of the clubs in the league including Saturday's opponents, Alfreton, who have signed 17 players.

Apparently Alfreton are yet another team who have turned professional this season.

We went there last season and made them look daft, this won't happen on Saturday.

We quite possibly did. I didn't make that game..However, they came to Heritage park last year and made us look daft...We were 4..1 down at one point before we scored two later on.
We still lost that game 3..4 if my memory serves me correctly.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:15 pm

My opinion wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

We quite possibly did. I didn't make that game..However, they came to Heritage park last year and made us look daft...We were 4..1 down at one point before we scored two later on.
We still lost that game 3..4 if my memory serves me correctly.
I was about to make exactly the same point. Here's a reminder of what happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zijW4iuURI
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:35 pm

m62exile wrote:The game was won until Bartlett came and got nowhere near the cross that gifted them the second goal. Up until that point we'd been comfortable I thought and the game looked to be a matter of how many more we'd get.

Ferguson outstanding first half, Beck dominant. First time I've seen Caton who looked very involved until he missed the third good chance then he went in to his shell for the rest of the night and hardly got a touch.

Their keeper was very poor too, dropped a simple cross to gift Syers his goal and not sure he looked very capable all night.

Six points to start though - excellent.

Agree with all of this. In all honesty I think a draw would have been a fair result but I'm biased so I don't care and we won; great. I felt at 3-3 that the next goal would settle it and fortunately we got it. Gainsborough were a good side but I thought we played the prettier football. My personal view was that we lost the midfield in the second half and the number of corners we gave away was alarming. Need to tighten up again for saturday. Browny was class again, but all their goals came from our mistakes.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Gainsborough aren't a particularly good side and in my opinion won't be amongst the movers and shakers at the end of the season.

They got the game they wanted, broke play up and battled well. but we should have been able to impose our superiority onto them - we should have been able to outplay them in other words. But we couldn't do this ... which isa little worrying.

A great goal by Gillies fortunately was enough to win, but we did make it hard.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Our defence will get another big test on Saturday. Alfreton try to make extensive use of the long throw... they're all at it these
days :D

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Only complaint I have is that we spent a fortune on the pitch and still resulted to long balls up to Beck. Know this is how we play but I honestly expected a bit more football on the deck.

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Only complaint I have is that we spent a fortune on the pitch and still resulted to long balls up to Beck.
I've only seen it on the highlights but Salford's pitch looked fantastic (and their ground is unrecognisable). Darlo's is maybe better than last season but it looks inferior to Salford's.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Our pitch is not "maybe" better than last season its massively better. Salford will have spent a lot more as they have a sprinkler system etc Not sure that spyman would have okayed that extra level of spending that wasnt to do with seats ;)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:15 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Our pitch is not "maybe" better than last season its massively better. Salford will have spent a lot more as they have a sprinkler system etc Not sure that spyman would have okayed that extra level of spending that wasnt to do with seats ;)
Absolutely not!

We have a reserve team that also needs ground-grading improvements don't you know????
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Absolutely Spyman. Let's get some seats down at Eastbourne first. BM can always come later!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Absolutely Spyman. Let's get some seats down at Eastbourne first. BM can always come later!
We should move that temporary stand at Bishop that we've paid for down to Eastbourne.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Wouldn't work sadly. They'd need to be undercover. Spare gazebo anyone?

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Wouldn't work sadly. They'd need to be undercover. Spare gazebo anyone?
I've got a couple umbrellas, could tape them on the back of it?

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Bartlett made one mistake which resulted in their 2nd goal. Instead of hiding he remained confident and commanded his area very well with some difficult crosses coming in.

Bartlett's handling, distribution and positioning was good last night. I'm sure he'll be disappointed at the second goal individually but he was far from 'ropey'.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:29 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Only complaint I have is that we spent a fortune on the pitch and still resulted to long balls up to Beck. Know this is how we play but I honestly expected a bit more football on the deck.
No point in changing our style of play that has been successful for the last 5 years because of a better surface.

I've seen us batter teams away from home on a carpet surface by playing direct. If our strengths are long-balls and set-pieces then let's use it.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 pm

jjljks wrote:Just went on to YouTube to check whether Tez's goal was as great as I first thought, then realised that thanks to the National Front (sorry) League overofficious regulations, I could only see last season's games - so I watched that 7 goal thriller again. Will have to wait another 24 hrs to see if Kev's coverage can shed any light on Tez's goal and the real cause of us conceding 3 goals at home.

Jjljks, 9 months ago was November/December last year. We improved massively with the signings of Wilczynski, Ferguson and then Bartlett around February/March. Since the beginning of March our form has been P15 W10 D3 L2, with the two losses coming away to Fylde and Salford.

We'd like to think that our new signings have improved us also, although it is still early days and the league is stronger this season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:Only complaint I have is that we spent a fortune on the pitch and still resulted to long balls up to Beck. Know this is how we play but I honestly expected a bit more football on the deck.
No point in changing our style of play that has been successful for the last 5 years because of a better surface.

I've seen us batter teams away from home on a carpet surface by playing direct. If our strengths are long-balls and set-pieces then let's use it.
Don't disagree with this at all. Beck gets targeted just about every game (see how Gainsborough's defence used him as a climbing frame), showing he's viewed as a threat. Beck's height, physicality and technical ability is clearly a strength so we should utilise it.

Where I object however is when it's used repeatedly, without thinking. There've been occasions where we've just aimlessly punted it long for no reason and without intelligence, consequently conceded possession. That's the downside to it.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY