Our coastal cousins...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dickdarlington
Team Supported: Darlington

Our coastal cousins...

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Following their defeat at Dover yesterday, something occurred to me. Will the chimps ever make it back to the football league? To do so, they'll actually have to win some silverware, either in the form of the winning the league, or the playoffs. Nothing else to add. It just made me smile.

Darlo_Pete

Re: Our coastal cousins...

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:34 pm

I think they've got a long hard season ahead of them and they'll be nearer the bottom than the top of the Conference come the end of the season.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:20 am

Possibly, but not this year. Think they'll just miss out on the playoffs, which overall won't be a bad year for them. There's an inevitable transition period coming for them, they need a little stability. They might challenge next year (if we haven't been promoted of course!)

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:31 am

I think saturday was a reality check for them. A few on the bunker seemed to think that it would be playoffs minimum but there were also plenty that were more cautious.
Then they put a team on the pitch that was mostly last seasons failures and by all accounts played no better than they did last season against so called weaker opposition.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:34 am

Similarly to when we first dropped into the Conference, it took a while to adjust and I think we ended up finishing just outside the play-offs (but with a good run in the Trophy, of course) once we'd found a good system that worked.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:20 pm

its so different from when we dropped into the conference first time round. back then, I'm sure all other teams were part time and we stayed full time - AND dick corden splashed the cash.

the chimp chokers will probably get a bit of a shock at the quality of teams they'll be up against.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens next year if they don't go straight back up..They have a parachute payment this year {not sure if it is still there next year} to help them stay full time, they also have a large following but we know how that
can drop off.
I think they will establish themselves in the conference this season and if they get someone to fund them they may push next season..If they fail to get funding they will probably stay at that level for some time, similar to Tranmere, Torquay, Wrexham and plenty of others

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:its so different from when we dropped into the conference first time round. back then, I'm sure all other teams were part time and we stayed full time - AND dick corden splashed the cash.

the chimp chokers will probably get a bit of a shock at the quality of teams they'll be up against.
Sorry - by first time I meant last time (the complete opposite)! Mark Cooper era.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:38 pm

I don't think Dover were among the favourites for promotion either, it's not like they were playing one of the big boys.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:its so different from when we dropped into the conference first time round. back then, I'm sure all other teams were part time and we stayed full time - AND dick corden splashed the cash.

In reality the Conference these days is not much different to the league. The distinction used to be that most of the Conference teams were part time whereas now 90% are full time. Add to that over 50% or teams are "traditional" league clubs anyway and it's a National and not a regional league and there's very little difference to league two.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:32 pm

divas wrote:

In reality the Conference these days is not much different to the league. The distinction used to be that most of the Conference teams were part time whereas now 90% are full time. Add to that over 50% or teams are "traditional" league clubs anyway and it's a National and not a regional league and there's very little difference to league two.
Yep, an additional similarity is the Hartlepool were sh1t in League Two and they're sh1t in the Conference.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:01 pm

At least Dick's not geographically challenged!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:50 pm

And Dover were tired by the long trip ;)

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:42 pm

currently losing 1-0 to macclesfield :lol:

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:48 pm

I know it's very very early days but the live table does make for excellent viewing...! :lol: :clap:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Wonder how long the new manager will last? He said he wanted a strong team this year, I don't think he meant strong enough to support all the teams above them in the table!!

Henley

Post by Henley » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Can we wait until full-time before being smug, please?

:roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 pm

The hangers equalise in the second half and it ends 1-1.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:59 am

Saw they were playing Macclesfield last night and for some daft reason thought to myself it was a LEAGUE CUP tie

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

Henley

Post by Henley » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 am

Spyman wrote:Saw they were playing Macclesfield last night and for some daft reason thought to myself it was a LEAGUE CUP tie Image
Is Image David Beckham?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:10 pm

TV stars today. Anyone watching them? Just gone 1-0 down. Gap currently down to 5 places. Not long since they were boasting it was 5 leagues.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Yes I just turned over just to see part-time Maidenhead going in front. The gap between us in theory could be very small by 5pm today!!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:31 pm

This will be a tough game today, full time club and signed some pretty good players, a millionaire director appointed a couple of months ago, 18 players brought in since last season.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Toot toot. 2-0 Maidenhead. Mind the gap. 4 places now.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:48 pm

FT: Maidenhead 2-1 Hartlepool Utd. Lol :lol: :clap:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

polam

Post by polam » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:51 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:This will be a tough game today, full time club and signed some pretty good players, a millionaire director appointed a couple of months ago, 18 players brought in since last season.

Maidenhead have still got the same team as last year, all part time. Only a couple of new signings and 10 of today's starters were there last season. The chairman has been there for years. Several of the team were in the Braintree side which was Mark Cooper's last game in charge of Darlo. Alan Devonshire was managing Braintree then and is now at Maids.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 pm

polam wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:This will be a tough game today, full time club and signed some pretty good players, a millionaire director appointed a couple of months ago, 18 players brought in since last season.

Maidenhead have still got the same team as last year, all part time. Only a couple of new signings and 10 of today's starters were there last season. The chairman has been there for years. Several of the team were in the Braintree side which was Mark Cooper's last game in charge of Darlo. Alan Devonshire was managing Braintree then and is now at Maids.
I think he was talking about Alfreton.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Yes, I was referring to Alfreton but the way we played after going a goal down was brilliant and just shows the character in this team.We looked a very good side today....roll on Tuesday.

Henley

Post by Henley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 pm

This s*** that's going on with our animal-torturing cousins is too funny.

I know they'll sort it out eventually but I can't help but have a frapp or two over their current predicament.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:13 pm

The way the season has started its going to be a long time until the chimp chokers visit Darlington for a league game.

Trading places at the end of the season is a real possibility. Not sure where their fall will end