Brewery Field

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Brewery Field

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:02 am

Out of sheer curiosity, does anyone know if Spen have had to sort the slope out at their ground to play at this level? I don't know the exact rules, but there must be a cut off where that is not acceptable?

spen666

Re: Brewery Field

Post by spen666 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:15 am

FA Rule 1.8 applies
1.8 Pitch Standards
The playing surface must be grass, unless otherwise authorised by the Competition’s Board of Directors or Management Committee, and must be of the highest possible standard. It must be level and free from surface depressions and excessive undulations.
The maximum slope allowable shall not exceed an even gradient of vertical to horizontal 1:41 in any direction. NB When a new pitch is being developed or significant improvements made to a pitch, the gradient of 1:41 would not be acceptable and the pitch must be constructed in accordance with and with reference to the FIFA Performance Quality Standard.
The playing surface must be maintained to a standard acceptable to the competition in which the club is playing or seeks to play.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:40 am

So are they doing some work to flatten it then? (Obviously I don't know what the measurement is of Spens pitch, but it's extreme by normal standards)

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 am

The slope has been reduced over the years.

It would seem it is not an issue. There as far as I am aware never been a problem with the slope as far as the authorities are concerned. It has in my lifetime handled games as far as FA Cup 1st round (involving football league clubs), FA trophy ties to semi - finals, FA vase to same level and even FA amateur Cup ties. Northern League, Northern Counties East League, NPL and now Conference North games.

Seemingly the slope is not a problem. It certainly wasnt a problem 15 or so months ago to Darlington when they used it to host "home" games at short notice

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Someone's touchy. I can't imagine why people get into arguments with you on here constantly.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:34 pm

H1987 wrote:Someone's touchy. I can't imagine why people get into arguments with you on here constantly.
I have no idea why you are so touchy

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:34 am

Because conversing with a prick like you brings out the touchiness in people .

Fuck off Spen.
Think before posting

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:21 am

BUSHEAD wrote:Because conversing with a prick like you brings out the touchiness in people .

Fuck off Spen.

Love you too

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:42 am

Spen is touchy because he knows Spennymoor have never beaten Darlington in a serious competition and forever bottle it in title races, despite their ridiculous spending.

That's why he's always sniping at us. They've repeatedly underperformed.

Despite their huge budgets, all they have to show since the FA Vase win is one Northern League title. Very underwhelming.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:45 pm

and three promotions. Not that bad.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:11 pm

.... and an exciting FA Cup run last year - which is better than we can ever produce!

But back to the pitch - some of the bigger teams in our league are in for a bit of a shock when they see the slope.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:32 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:and three promotions. Not that bad.
Really? We've done that and won league titles.

They finished well off the pace last season despite having a squad that should have won the title. Curtis, Chandler and Ramshaw were all capable of playing at least 2 divisions higher than NPL.

But Blyth cruised away with it, Spennymoor were never seriously in contention.

In the division below, again they spent big and again they fell short to Warrington.

And despite us having a standing start in 12/13 we tonked them in the Northern League title race.

The only title in recent years they've won is the Northern League, when they had no serious opposition. For the outlay, they should have won more titles. This is what fuels their obsession with us.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm sure their ambition was to play as high as they could - they are now in the same league as us. Whilst it would have no doubt been nice, whether they won the league or not is irrelevant in relation to their ambition.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:34 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:I'm sure their ambition was to play as high as they could - they are now in the same league as us. Whilst it would have no doubt been nice, whether they won the league or not is irrelevant in relation to their ambition.
Well we're both speculating on Brad Groves' thoughts and ambitions. I rather suspect, given their outlay they would have hoped to be more competitive in their respective title races.

One Northern League title since 2013 isn't a great return for the amount they've spent. I'd find it strange if their ambitions weren't to win the title each season however.

Curry_LG
Team Supported: Spennymoor & Notts County

Post by Curry_LG » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:19 pm

OBSESSED.com

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Curry_LG wrote:OBSESSED.com
Yes you are.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Curry_LG wrote:OBSESSED.com
Is that the address you type that shortcuts you to a Darlington FC supporters website?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC