Heaton Signs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Heaton Signs

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 pm

Darlogramps

Re: Heaton Signs

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:30 pm

So glad we've brought in the 4th choice centre back we're so desperately in need of.

Not like there's anything else the club urgently needs to fund.....
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:31 pm

I certainly don't think he will be 4th choice & I suspect that we will see a departure.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Hope so. There's no justification for his signing otherwise.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:05 am

It wouldn't surprise me if we also signed the kid from Middlesbrough who looked a very decent player as well as Fenwick.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:54 am

I sincerely hope we do let one go, and I hope it doesn't end up being a waste with us chucking someone like Brown on the scrapheap only for us ultimately not be able to take promotion.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 am

Spyman wrote:I sincerely hope we do let one go, and I hope it doesn't end up being a waste with us chucking someone like Brown on the scrapheap only for us ultimately not be able to take promotion.
I dunno - I am quite comfortable with one in one out for it. Heaton may be a more long term option than say Brown.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:10 am

What about Burgess? He hasn't played at all yet this pre season. Presumably he has an injury, maybe something long term?

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 am

dfc4me wrote:What about Burgess? He hasn't played at all yet this pre season. Presumably he has an injury, maybe something long term?
Heard he has a hip injury. And is Burgess better than Brown? I would suggest as regards ability they are about the same, different attributes to there game of course.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:36 am

It annoys me when it's Brownys name that always comes up as the one to get rid of or he is not up to standard... He is a decent skill full defender NOT always the prettiest but always gives 110%

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:01 am

From what I've seen of the two, I prefer Brown to Burgess.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:14 am

Brown had a great 2nd half to season he was very solid and like already mentioned he always gives 110%

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:18 am

poppyfield wrote:
dfc4me wrote:What about Burgess? He hasn't played at all yet this pre season. Presumably he has an injury, maybe something long term?
Heard he has a hip injury. And is Burgess better than Brown? I would suggest as regards ability they are about the same, different attributes to there game of course.
And Browny's throw ins are sometimes difficult to defend so he shades it for me.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:22 am

weve been crying out for more cover at the back for a couple of seasons at least!, Hunter and Brown have come up 2 divisions with us at least now! weve always struggled for bodies at the back.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 am

bertbanger wrote:weve been crying out for more cover at the back for a couple of seasons at least!, Hunter and Brown have come up 2 divisions with us at least now! weve always struggled for bodies at the back.
You're talking about two different things!

We can only play two central defenders at a time. Prior to Heaton signing we had Collins, Brown, Burgess, Hunter and then Galbraith as emergency cover who did a reasonable job there last season.

We quite simply should not be spending money on three central defenders who are not getting a game when we can't afford to build a suitable ground. If it falls within budget, then the budget is too high.

If Brown, Burgess, Hunter, or anyone else is not capable of playing at this level because of the divisions we've climbed (which is not the case - we finished 5th with the pair of them in the team regularly last season) then move them on and bring in someone who is good enough by all means - but that's not what we're talking about here.
Last edited by Spyman on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

DC

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:34 am

Brownies positional play is better than Burgess' who's is horrendous at times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:22 am

Spyman wrote:From what I've seen of the two, I prefer Brown to Burgess.
same here...

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:50 am

My only issue with Brown is the constant throw in taking often leaving him stranded upfield. We were shocking at the back at times last season with very poor defending of balls into the box and I'd cite Marine away as a sad example. Hopefully Bartlett settling in is helping to sort that.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:05 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:My only issue with Brown is the constant throw in taking often leaving him stranded upfield. We were shocking at the back at times last season with very poor defending of balls into the box and I'd cite Marine away as a sad example. Hopefully Bartlett settling in is helping to sort that.
Surely that's down to Martin Gray making sure someone is responsible for covering him?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:26 pm

The one point that no one has brought up is that our passing out of defence by our centre-halfs last season was not good enough for this league,we gave the ball away too much.
We also conceded far to many goals so there is reasons to improve.I don't think we can complain about the commitment about any of our players but some have reached there limit.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:49 pm

Craig09 wrote:he always gives 110%
HarrytheQuaker wrote:but always gives 110%
Well as long as he tries hard I suppose - I reckon I would give 110% if I was given the opportunity not sure it justifies me being paid a wage to be 4th choice.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:38 pm

I don't think Brown would be 4th choice though. IMO he's better than Burgess and Hunter at centre back.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Well if we're going to have 6 central defence options then someone has to be 4th choice.

5 and 6 I'm happy with being players who primarily play in a different position (Hunter/Galbraith for example), but 4th choice should really be a youngster who can fill in and come off the bench from time to time while costing very little.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:48 pm

I hope someone is leaving also. Not that I want shot of anyone, but we should not be spending extra on players when the money could be diverted into developing the stadium.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Good start for the lad out for 6 weeks with a broken collarbone

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:18 pm

Good job we've got another 3 then :D

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Good job we've got another 3 then :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:18 am

No - another 3 in Collins, Brown & Burgess.

Hunter & Galbraith are full-backs.

Do you not remember the whole reason Hunter was shifted to right-back in the NPL was because he was found out at that level positionally?

By that logic we have 3 left-backs because Ferguson, Galbraith & Scott can play there, and 5 left-wingers because Gillies, Wearmouth, Ferguson, Caton & Galbraith can play there too.

No need to sign Fenwick as we already have 7 strikers in Beck, Cartman, Saunders, Caton, Wearmouth, Thompson & Syers. Silly logic.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:27 am

Darlofan97 wrote:No - another 3 in Collins, Brown & Burgess.

Hunter & Galbraith are full-backs.

Do you not remember the whole reason Hunter was shifted to right-back in the NPL was because he was found out at that level positionally?

By that logic we have 3 left-backs because Ferguson, Galbraith & Scott can play there, and 5 left-wingers because Gillies, Wearmouth, Ferguson, Caton & Galbraith can play there too.

No need to sign Fenwick as we already have 7 strikers in Beck, Cartman, Saunders, Caton, Wearmouth, Thompson & Syers. Silly logic.
We have 5 other players who can, and have, played there for us at this level.

Your logic on the other positions is also sound (althoughas far as I'm aware, Caton, Wearmouth and Thompson haven't played as centre forwards at this level, so you're not talking like-for-like).

We have lots of adaptable players, which is a good thing when you are working within limited finances - it would be irresponsible of the management not to utilise players in more than one position when injuries hit.

We have priorities bigger than the playing squad at the moment.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:43 am

It's ok. I'm sure Gray will compensate for Heaton's injury by signing another 2 centre backs.

And maybe a forward for good measure.