Heaton Signs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Heaton Signs

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 am

Darlogramps wrote:It's ok. I'm sure Gray will compensate for Heaton's injury by signing another 2 centre backs.

And maybe a forward for good measure.
It's fine though because he's just working within the budget he's been given - which means all is going to be rosey.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:47 am

Spyman wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:It's ok. I'm sure Gray will compensate for Heaton's injury by signing another 2 centre backs.

It's fine though because he's just working within the budget he's been given - which means all is going to be rosey.
Yeah and our previous record on budgeting leaves me no cause for concern whatsoever.

We've always got it right when it comes to finances.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:50 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Yeah and our previous record on budgeting leaves me no cause for concern whatsoever.

Exactly. Nothing to see here. Martin Gray is just working within the budget that he demanded the board set for him.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:09 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
No need to sign Fenwick.
I agree.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:13 am

If you look at our cover across positions.

GK: Bartlett, Jameson

RB: Marrs, Hunter, Brown
CB: Collins, Brown, Burgess, Hunter, Heaton, Galbraith
LB: Ferguson, Galbraith, Scott

RM: Thompson, Gillies, Wearmouth, Caton
CM: Turnbull, Portas, Scott, Syers, Hume, Galbraith
LM: Gillies, Thompson, Wearmouth, Caton, Galbraith, Ferguson

ST: Beck, Cartman, Caton, Saunders, Milburn

Looking at that we are covered with at least 2 players in every position. Scott and Hunter are in bold as the most likely candidates to move on as they are not first choice in any of their covering positions. We also have the options of changing shape when injuries arrive to 4-4-1-1 or 4-3-3.

If I was the manager I would be looking to move Scott and Hunter on. Milburn would be in the reserves for most of the season to continue gaining experience same for Hume. I'd bring in Wheatley (the young lad from Boro) who has been trailing with us as he looks like he could improve the squad. Fenwick would be a luxury that just doesn't make sense atm.

that would give us a first team squad of:

RB: Marrs, Brown
CB: Collins, Brown, Burgess, Heaton, Galbraith
LB: Ferguson, Galbraith

CM: Turnbull, Portas,, Syers, Galbraith, Wheatley

ST: Beck, Cartman, Caton, Saunders

that would be a first team squad of 20.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:32 am

JE93 wrote:If you look at our cover across positions.

Looking at that we are covered with at least 2 players in every position. Scott and Hunter are in bold as the most likely candidates to move on as they are not first choice in any of their covering positions. We also have the options of changing shape when injuries arrive to 4-4-1-1 or 4-3-3.

If I was the manager I would be looking to move Scott and Hunter on. Milburn would be in the reserves for most of the season to continue gaining experience same for Hume. I'd bring in Wheatley (the young lad from Boro) who has been trailing with us as he looks like he could improve the squad. Fenwick would be a luxury that just doesn't make sense atm.

I suppose my only question on that would be why move on Scott, who can fill in across two or three positions as backup to bring in Wheatley, who may be (may not) less versatile. Unless Wheatley is going to displace someone like Turnbull from the first team then why bring in a less versatile squad player?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:37 am

I was wondering if MG has got permission to play more than 11 players at once?

Currently seems to have the option of 'parking the bus' with 7 in the back line and
'total attack' with 6 strikers up front.

I know which I would prefer to see! ;)

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 am

Spyman wrote:
JE93 wrote:If you look at our cover across positions.

CM: Turnbull, Portas, Syers, Galbraith, Wheatley

I suppose my only question on that would be why move on Scott, who can fill in across two or three positions as backup to bring in Wheatley, who may be (may not) less versatile. Unless Wheatley is going to displace someone like Turnbull from the first team then why bring in a less versatile squad player?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
My thinking is. Scott hasn't played LB at this level. Last season that role was covered by Galbraith, Ferguson and Watson. If it came to the point where we were without both Ferguson and Galbraith I don't think there would be much difference between placing Scott there compared to another CB.

On the Wheatley situation I think he has shown enough that he could be a decent player at this level and challenge Portas for a position in the team. Just my opinion but I think Scott is at the top of his level. He has to be on top of his game to play well at this level. Where as with a younger player there is always the chance they develop and surprise you.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Spyman wrote:

It's fine though because he's just working within the budget he's been given - which means all is going to be rosey.....IF YOU'RE MARTIN GRAY.
fixed that.

am not MG bashing tho - I've said before that all managers want as much money as pos. you wouldn't see Jose M handing money back to Man U saying "give this back to the fans".

but we do need to understand how budgets are set. someone has to be saying 'no' to MG at some point...

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Exactly. Nothing to see here. Martin Gray is just working within the budget that he demanded the board set for him.
The board didn't have to set him it though did they? We have to trust that they are happy it's affordable, despite previous episodes. If not, they get removed, and another set of fans can prove to be financially incompetent. We'll get down to Gramps and Spyman soon enough (Hell, we'll soon all have had a go) - they've obviously spotted that if we can get Gray and his coaching staff to go, there's the money for the stand ;).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Spyman wrote:

It's fine though because he's just working within the budget he's been given - which means all is going to be rosey.....IF YOU'RE MARTIN GRAY.
fixed that.

am not MG bashing tho - I've said before that all managers want as much money as pos. you wouldn't see Jose M handing money back to Man U saying "give this back to the fans".

but we do need to understand how budgets are set. someone has to be saying 'no' to MG at some point...
Of course he's not going to give it back - but the way it appears (publically at least) is that Gray said at that fans forum "I need £80k more than the board have given me, and if I don't get it I'm walking along with most of the squad".

At this point, fans raised £40k and a sizeable sum from season ticket sales (IIRC) was diverted to the playing budget to avoid Gray following through with his threat.

This was done despite the fact we still needed to raise a six-figure sum just to have a ground suitable for promotion.

So it seems to me that although somebody should be saying 'no' to MG, that wasn't something that happened during this particular budgeting process.

Of course, things won't even be rosey for Martin Gray if we can't afford the seats. I guess he'd have to decide whether to issue his ultimatum again next May if that were the case.

DC

darlosince65

Post by darlosince65 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Can someone please advise where I can find confirmation that Heaton has signed for DFC as I cannot find it either on the DFC Web site or on their Facebook page.
The only press release I can find is the one released by Bamber Bridge
Many thanks

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:30 pm

JE93 wrote:If you look at our cover across positions. Move Hunter and Scott on ?
Don't be surprised to see them start at Salford Hunter for height at RB and Scott in midfield.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:46 am

Great to see that Gray has strengthened the squad from last seasons. I'm pretty confident of a strong season.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:28 pm

darlosince65 wrote:Can someone please advise where I can find confirmation that Heaton has signed for DFC as I cannot find it either on the DFC Web site or on their Facebook page.
The only press release I can find is the one released by Bamber Bridge
Many thanks
There isn't one. I wonder if it's like Dom Collins. He didn't officially sign for a number of days after. Could that mean Gray might delay the signing