Tonight's game

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Tonight's game

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Does anybody know the score from tonight's friendly at Bishop Auckland?

Spyman

Re: Tonight's game

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:56 pm

We were 1-0 through an own goal after Gillies has skied a penalty.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:58 pm

2-0 full time, Scott with the second.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:59 pm

is beck injured i havnt heard his name mentioned in last 2 games

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:04 pm

First Half: Bartlett; Marrs, Collins, Brown, Ferguson; Turnbull, Scott, Syers; Gillies, Cartman, Caton (4-3-3)

Team that finished the second half: Bartlett; Richards (trialist), Hunter, Galbraith; Wearmouth, Wheatley (trialist), Milburn (YT), Scott, Thompson; Fenwick (trialist), Saunders (3-5-2).

Beck out with an injured knee but was warming up at HT. Burgess & Portas still presumably not fit to play. Caton went off injured after a hefty challenge (one of a few).

All trialists looked sharp, Fenwick played particularly well.

No sign of Josh Heaton (the centre-half from Bamber Bridge).

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Good work out tonight, controlled the game for large patches of the game,as we should be. Caton and Ferguson took slight knocks so hopefully just went off as a precaution. Thought Fenwick, Richards and Wheatley were decent. If we had an unlimited budget all three could sign, but in our present climate we would have to move others on. If we only got one I would go for Fenwick, but I suspect we would have to move Cartman on if we did. Also thought Milburn looked good when he came on.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:Good work out tonight, controlled the game for large patches of the game,as we should be. Caton and Ferguson took slight knocks so hopefully just went off as a precaution. Thought Fenwick, Richards and Wheatley were decent. If we had an unlimited budget all three could sign, but in our present climate we would have to move others on. If we only got one I would go for Fenwick, but I suspect we would have to move Cartman on if we did. Also thought Milburn looked good when he came on.
Isn't Fenwick more in the Beck mould? Surely letting Cartman go for him leaves without that extra dimension?

DC

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:40 pm

We really looked good in parts today. A very one sided game that we controlled for large parts of the game. Scott was a class apart in midfield and Syas always looked dangerous. The triallists played well 2nd half.

If there is a nagging concern for me from all the friendlies it is despite this dominance the opposition always seem to have decent opportunities to score. We're most vulnerable when the other team counter attacks and a big gap emerges between the defence and midfield. We've got away with it against the Northern League teams but we'll get punished against the better north teams. In saying that, I thought the actual back line did well on the whole. Brown as dogged as ever and Collins looking to have a touch of class about him. My guess is well finish about 7th and 8th.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Very interested to hear your rationale behind us dropping 2 or 3 places from last season.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:21 pm

I think there's a general belief that with a couple more full time/'big' clubs the league is stronger.

Our budget is the same as last season (allegedly), but if there are a few teams with bigger budgets then that's a perfectly reasonable rationale for us dropping a couple of places, especially if you follow the Martin Gray mantra that you can only go up if you have a big budget.

Personally I think the squad overall is stronger than a year ago and those that were new to this level have had a season to acclimatise so we should be able to perform a little better on that basis.

DC

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Very interested to hear your rationale behind us dropping 2 or 3 places from last season.
my take is the static budget and the full-time status of one or two clubs - Salford and Harrogate will improve. In addition, and something that has been missed, is 4 derby games. derby games are never easy. I'm also still concerned about the defence. Not the back line per se but the fact we get really stretched. We played some good stuff against Aycliffe and Bishop tonight but we still look like we could concede. I'm not a critic of our defence like some but more a concern about the shape of the team when the opposition counter-attacks. Spyman is right though that the squad man for man has improved so that would be a plus.

the Guiseley game will be an interesting yardstick for me. My view is we are probably being slightly over-optimistic about our chances given the nature of the competition this year. I hope I'm wrong.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Vulnerable to counter attack was our problem for a large part of last season. Be very disappointed if we hadn't learnt from it this time around.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Hate to be the party-pooper, but for all the talk about how competitive our squad is, and whether we'll drop a couple of places, it's all irrelevant because we're currently ineligible for promotion.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:41 am

princes town wrote:my take is the static budget and the full-time status of one or two clubs - Salford and Harrogate will improve.
Seem to be ignoring that we are unlikely to be facing Fylde and Halifax this season and Slford finished ahead of us last season anyway. Them improving doesnt enable them to overtake us.

Assuming that Salford & Kidderminster will finish above us like last season due to being 'static'. York and Harrogate are full time teams who we can expect to do similar. I have little concern about the other relegated Conference sides.

By the way is it believed that every year teams budgets have to increase or is it not poissible to have better players for the same budget?

So that is two for two unless I am missing something?

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:52 am

The budget is still a serious talking point however two championship sides both with the lowest budget of£11 million each both had contrasting results. One relegated, Rotherham, one promoted Huddersfield. Maybe it's not how much... but how you use it.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:53 am

It's a good job it wasn't over here as it lashed down all evening! Can someone clarify the boost the budget as that is 50% complete and presumably would help. Is that to make up to last years or extra? Gramps, stop being so gloomy were a third of the way to the extra seating and maybe if 1000 of us join again that's another pile of money (I've just done mine). Looking forward to Salford.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:15 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:It's a good job it wasn't over here as it lashed down all evening! Can someone clarify the boost the budget as that is 50% complete and presumably would help. Is that to make up to last years or extra? Gramps, stop being so gloomy were a third of the way to the extra seating and maybe if 1000 of us join again that's another pile of money (I've just done mine). Looking forward to Salford.
It's a fact that we're not eligible for promotion right now, yet we've got people more interested in who our 4th choice centre back should be.

The Boost the Budget is to cover the £80k shortfall in this year's playing budget. The club made an overall £80k loss last year so it comes out of this year's allocated playing budget.

What are you saying it would help with? The seating? Not going to happen. Not what it's been advertised for.

Still means we have to raise another £80k across two seating pitches and have the ground up-to-standard by March (8 months time).

So denigrate me as "gloomy" if you want, but we could do with a plan to get this money raised ASAP. The fundraising has ground well and truly to a halt.

Saying "we'll be fine, I've just renewed and a load of others will too - let's watch some football," isn't really good enough.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:38 am

Let's do this mathematically.
83k to raise. Let's say we can get the 15k from DFCSG renewals, that leaves 68k still to find.
Can we add a few K from the recent friendly? Let's suppose we can, that leaves 60k.
That's putting a lot of pressure on cup runs.
We don't know yet if the well has run dry regarding the Community Shares pitch. I guess we keep trying and a few have said on here that maybe when the football season starts then people may be motivated to invest again. But to the tune of 60k plus? I hope so. We still have 6 months and maybe we need our CEO to work his magic behind the scenes to get money raised. In what guise that would be, I'm not sure.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:03 am

Good performance last night and controlled for large spells. The score line probably flattered Bishop as we had numerous good chances in both halves.

I do agree we look vulnerable to the counter, and we seem to push our full-backs up quite high when on the ball or pressing. Either way Bartlett was solid and it was good to keep a clean-sheet.

The trialists all performed well and will certainly give MG a decision to make.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:14 am

Bartlett is brilliant, to me he really looks the business.

Who was our number 14? He played well last night and he also played against Shildon. He played some good balls forward and seemed to have a good eye for the game - yet no one seems to know his name.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks Vic, that's exactly what I meant that huge sum from renewing could put a dent in it. Gramps.... denigrate, honestly!?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:It's a good job it wasn't over here as it lashed down all evening! Can someone clarify the boost the budget as that is 50% complete and presumably would help. Is that to make up to last years or extra? Gramps, stop being so gloomy were a third of the way to the extra seating and maybe if 1000 of us join again that's another pile of money (I've just done mine). Looking forward to Salford.
It's a fact that we're not eligible for promotion right now, yet we've got people more interested in who our 4th choice centre back should be.

The Boost the Budget is to cover the £80k shortfall in this year's playing budget. The club made an overall £80k loss last year so it comes out of this year's allocated playing budget.

What are you saying it would help with? The seating? Not going to happen. Not what it's been advertised for.

Still means we have to raise another £80k across two seating pitches and have the ground up-to-standard by March (8 months time).

So denigrate me as "gloomy" if you want, but we could do with a plan to get this money raised ASAP. The fundraising has ground well and truly to a halt.

Saying "we'll be fine, I've just renewed and a load of others will too - let's watch some football," isn't really good enough.
Precisely - why we are still looking at players to improve the team is beyond me.

Will Martin Gray spit his dummy out again if we finish 5th and can't take part in the playoffs?

This squad at worst should finish top 7. Absolutely no point spending another penny on improvement or wasting time considering new players until we've raised the money.

If it looks like we're not going to raise the money then the playing budget should he cut at a point when we still have time to get the ground improvements done.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Let's do this mathematically.
83k to raise. Let's say we can get the 15k from DFCSG renewals, that leaves 68k still to find.
Can we add a few K from the recent friendly? Let's suppose we can, that leaves 60k.
That's putting a lot of pressure on cup runs.
We don't know yet if the well has run dry regarding the Community Shares pitch. I guess we keep trying and a few have said on here that maybe when the football season starts then people may be motivated to invest again. But to the tune of 60k plus? I hope so. We still have 6 months and maybe we need our CEO to work his magic behind the scenes to get money raised. In what guise that would be, I'm not sure.

We have 43k to raise on 2nd pitch and then 37k to raise on 3rd and final pitch, so we need 80k now in total.

If DFCSG can knock say 15k as you say then we are down to 65k to raise by the end of the year. I don't think we will have made that much from the friendly and it will be part of club cash, in terms of planned for this years budget.

The beauty of the Community shares is the money isn't lost forever and you can look to get some of it back after 5 years, which DFCSG are already putting money aside for this.

I think it's very much possible for us to make it but it needs some focus at the moment it's very much just drifting.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:28 pm

This is how I think the league will pan out this year...

Salford will replace Fylde at the top of the league. Salford have strengthened significantly and have signed a number of players a cut above this level (Hogan, Livesey, Piergianni, Maynard, Mafuta etc).

York will finish runners up as they have managed to retain a lot of last season's squad that finished well under Mills. They have added well with the signings of Worsnop, Parslow, Law & Almond.

Finishing 3rd - 6th will be (in no particular order) Chorley, Kidderminster, Stockport & Darlington.

Kidderminster have been weakened as they have lost Gnahoua, Ngwatala, Tunnicliffe, Lowe, Francis-Angol & Hodgkiss this summer, so I doubt they will be able to emulate a runners-up finish again.

Chorley have maintained the status quo but have added Terry Gornell who might be the cutting edge they lacked last season.

Stockport have lost their linchpin in midfield in Montrose & 20 goals and assists a season in Danny Lloyd, however they have added Sam Walker from Salford, Darren Stephenson from Tranmere and Matty Warburton from Curzon Ashton. As well as a few defence reinforcements. So I expect them to be slightly better than last season.

Meanwhile we strengthened towards to back-end of last season with Bartlett & Ferguson. We have improved and added depth with Collins & Caton. We have however lost Falkingham who I think we will miss as we don't really have a player like him in the middle currently.

Fighting it out for 7th will be Spennymoor & Harrogate, possibly Blyth too. Harrogate's recruitment this summer has been massively underwhelming since they went full-time. They have added quality in Falkingham & George Thomson for FC United, but apart from that no earth-shattering signings.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Jordan Richards, who played for us last night, is playing for Spennymoor today.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:This is how I think the league will pan out this year...

Salford will replace Fylde at the top of the league. Salford have strengthened significantly and have signed a number of players a cut above this level (Hogan, Livesey, Piergianni, Maynard, Mafuta etc).

York will finish runners up as they have managed to retain a lot of last season's squad that finished well under Mills. They have added well with the signings of Worsnop, Parslow, Law & Almond.

Finishing 3rd - 6th will be (in no particular order) Chorley, Kidderminster, Stockport & Darlington.

Kidderminster have been weakened as they have lost Gnahoua, Ngwatala, Tunnicliffe, Lowe, Francis-Angol & Hodgkiss this summer, so I doubt they will be able to emulate a runners-up finish again.

Chorley have maintained the status quo but have added Terry Gornell who might be the cutting edge they lacked last season.

Stockport have lost their linchpin in midfield in Montrose & 20 goals and assists a season in Danny Lloyd, however they have added Sam Walker from Salford, Darren Stephenson from Tranmere and Matty Warburton from Curzon Ashton. As well as a few defence reinforcements. So I expect them to be slightly better than last season.

Meanwhile we strengthened towards to back-end of last season with Bartlett & Ferguson. We have improved and added depth with Collins & Caton. We have however lost Falkingham who I think we will miss as we don't really have a player like him in the middle currently.

Fighting it out for 7th will be Spennymoor & Harrogate, possibly Blyth too. Harrogate's recruitment this summer has been massively underwhelming since they went full-time. They have added quality in Falkingham & George Thomson for FC United, but apart from that no earth-shattering signings.
I think Bradford PA will do well this season. Spennymoor to do no better than mid table.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Brackley are the dark horse for me this season, have a strong budget and will be pushing for an improvement on last season

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:09 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:This is how I think the league will pan out this year...

We've also effectively added Wearmouth and Portas, who played virtually no part last season.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Jordan Richards, who played for us last night, is playing for Spennymoor today.

This is the player (no 14) who I was asking about further back on this thread. I've checked his photo.

He's obviously looking for a club - I think he's played well on the two times I've seen him.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Jordan Richards, who played for us last night, is playing for Spennymoor today.
does he play right back?