Admission prices

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarrytheQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Admission prices

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue May 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Conditions (proof of concession rate entitlement may be requested on entry)
Adult £14
Adult Concession £10 Over 62 as at 1 September 2016
Full time student (student card required)

Registered disabled persons

Armed Forces Personnel

Child Concession (Under 16) £5 Aged 5-15
Under 5’s FREE Aged <5
A benchmarking exercise has been carried out against other clubs at our level and our carefully considered pricing puts us within the same bracket as those clubs with which the fans will expect us to compete in the coming season. As was revealed at the recent fans forum the Club made a significant loss last season and in order to provide a similarly competitive budget additional revenue must be generated.

Was expecting £1 rise not £2.... I think it will put a lot of the floaters off and the bad weather fans especially on a cold Tuesday/Wednesday night ,It's a fine line I suppose we need revenue

DarloDave40

Re: Admission prices

Post by DarloDave40 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Lots of other things in there for family tickets and hospitality which is increasingly popular.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue May 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Didn't that also say at the fans forum that we had a surprisingly high percentage of concessions on a matchday? Something like 40%? I assume the "proof of concession rate entitlement may be requested" has always been in operation?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:56 pm

While raising prices of anything is never very popular, TBH it makes financial sense. Putting an average of £2 on an average ticket based on 500 fans paying on the gate (2x500x21) means an extra £21,000 over the season. In addition, if we can attract an extra 250 fans through the gate on a weekend spending an average of £12 that would mean (12x250x21) an extra £63,000 in revenue.

We as fans have to do as much as possible to drag that extra mate along, every single home game has to be bring a mate week. If 1 in 7 of our regular attendance can do this we are in a much better financial position for very little pain.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue May 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Not impressed with the price rise tbh. It will most certainly effect attendances .
Am I right in saying we didn't increase the prices when we previously didn't get promoted in the Evo stik ?
Think before posting

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Tue May 30, 2017 9:44 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:Not impressed with the price rise tbh. It will most certainly effect attendances .
Am I right in saying we didn't increase the prices when we previously didn't get promoted in the Evo stik ?
No we didn't but there's a bit of a difference in circumstances
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 30, 2017 10:33 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:Not impressed with the price rise tbh. It will most certainly effect attendances .
Fine, but let's all stick £50 donations in a year for no return in stead. We get the team we pay for.

Same result, just this way you pay it on the gate. Those of us donating from afar continue to do so.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue May 30, 2017 10:49 pm

Can I say now, I'll happily pay the £14, I just think the increase does give the 'floaters' another excuse.
And donations are better than ticket price increases as they are non-taxable.
Think before posting

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 30, 2017 11:27 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:Can I say now, I'll happily pay the £14, I just think the increase does give the 'floaters' another excuse.
And donations are better than ticket price increases as they are non-taxable.
Nope, ticket prices are sustainable and allow the club to plan/budget. Donations are not.

Those that will donate £50 a year will pay that £50 across 20 games. Those that will come for a couple of games a season are unlikely to donate £28.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed May 31, 2017 5:26 am

It's always a fine balance this one, £14 sounds a lot but then again I've been surprised at the prices charged across the board in this league. I think for those who've been paying at the gate over at Bishop it'll be fine. We just have to hope that we can make the experience worth it for those who give it a go, where they can see the match for example.

We'll get the attendances we deserve at the end of the day, meaning if we serve up decent entertainment and a good experience we'll get people coming along.

I find it frustrating when we get too critical of floating fans and so on, if it's worth coming then people will come, if it's not they won't. There's plenty of things for people to spend their money on and they're not obliged to spend it with us.

That said, I'm hopeful we can improve our average attendance again this season with a competitive team playing back in the town.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Wed May 31, 2017 6:41 am

It also shouldn't be forgotten that close to 50% of attendees will only pay £10 so why is it always the amount that less than half of attendees will pay that's flagged up? The weighted average based on a 45/45/10 split is £11

Regarding floating fans, from what I've seen when we have the. Offer crowds there does seem to be a lot more youths around the age of 16 who will only probably be paying £5 or again £10 as a student

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 31, 2017 7:16 am

I'd have preferred a £1 increase in general admissions, but I do understand the reasons why it has increased by more. I think that if we are playing decent football and in or near the playoffs, then £14 is ok. But if we have a bad run or fall below mid-table, then I can see plenty of our floating fanbase, choosing not to come to games.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 am

m62exile wrote:It's always a fine balance this one, £14 sounds a lot but then again I've been surprised at the prices charged across the board in this league. I think for those who've been paying at the gate over at Bishop it'll be fine. We just have to hope that we can make the experience worth it for those who give it a go, where they can see the match for example.

We'll get the attendances we deserve at the end of the day, meaning if we serve up decent entertainment and a good experience we'll get people coming along.

I find it frustrating when we get too critical of floating fans and so on, if it's worth coming then people will come, if it's not they won't. There's plenty of things for people to spend their money on and they're not obliged to spend it with us.

That said, I'm hopeful we can improve our average attendance again this season with a competitive team playing back in the town.
Agreed. But a good experience (both quality of team and viewing) costs money, and this money is better coming from ticket sales than pleas for money.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:00 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Adult Concession £10 Over 62 as at 1 September 2016

Child Concession (Under 16) £5 Aged 5-15
Clearly the benchmarking took place which I almost say go with it but...
- Is state pension age 62 now. I thought it was 65?
- Why is it based on age at 1st September surely just easier to go with age on day of game?
- I can't help but think a concession for u18s could be beneficial in line with the student tickets. If you are a school leaver you don't have that much disposable income whether you are a student or not.

Think it was a great comment in terms of our proportion of concessions v adults. If over 50% of our crowd are paying a tenner or less that seems pretty good value.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed May 31, 2017 1:29 pm

lo36789 wrote: - I can't help but think a concession for u18s could be beneficial in line with the student tickets. If you are a school leaver you don't have that much disposable income whether you are a student or not.
If I'm not mistaken U18s in full-time education are eligible for a concession rate as long as the college they attend issues some form of ID card confirming that they are a full-time student.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Wed May 31, 2017 1:32 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
lo36789 wrote: - I can't help but think a concession for u18s could be beneficial in line with the student tickets. If you are a school leaver you don't have that much disposable income whether you are a student or not.
If I'm not mistaken U18s in full-time education are eligible for a concession rate as long as the college they attend issues some form of ID card confirming that they are a full-time student.
And let's face it how many of those between 16 and 18 will just pay the u16 rate anyway?!

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 pm

Not going to complain about these prices, they aren't out of line with other similar clubs in this division. Happy that the concession price has increased to £10.

I don't think a £2 increase will put off those adult fans that pick & choose their games - its not the price that stops them coming more regularly imo.

Pleased to see a family season ticket offering.

My only disappointment is there isn't a family pay on the day ticket - a cheaper price for 1/2 adults & 2 kids under 11. I think its those type of people we can attract more to the games with the right pricing.

The bigger picture is if we want to be able to compete in the conference, financially & on the pitch, as a sustainable business (rather than having owner(s) pouring in £300k/500k+ a year) we need to grow our average crowds to 3k+. Without that we can have a Chester City level of performance or we're looking at a dangerous over-reliance on a benefactor.

That seems like a big jump from where we are now (1.8k average) but is completely achievable given our catchment area & historical averages + look at the crowds Hartlepool has been able to achieve over the past 15 years - especially in the last 5 seasons when they have been abysmal on the pitch. Historically we've have had very similar averages, no reason we can't again.

Its not simply going to happen though, we have to work at it. Hopefully the new CEO will look to implement a strategy to grow our fan base that goes beyond just winning games & bring a friend initiatives.

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:21 pm

My only concern is people will be put off if they turn up and its 3 deep with no terracing, unless you are over 6ft you cannot see if we get a decent crowd so for me we need to develop the standing areas
Robbie Painter wrote:Not going to complain about these prices, they aren't out of line with other similar clubs in this division. Happy that the concession price has increased to £10.

I don't think a £2 increase will put off those adult fans that pick & choose their games - its not the price that stops them coming more regularly imo.

Pleased to see a family season ticket offering.

My only disappointment is there isn't a family pay on the day ticket - a cheaper price for 1/2 adults & 2 kids under 11. I think its those type of people we can attract more to the games with the right pricing.

The bigger picture is if we want to be able to compete in the conference, financially & on the pitch, as a sustainable business (rather than having owner(s) pouring in £300k/500k+ a year) we need to grow our average crowds to 3k+. Without that we can have a Chester City level of performance or we're looking at a dangerous over-reliance on a benefactor.

That seems like a big jump from where we are now (1.8k average) but is completely achievable given our catchment area & historical averages + look at the crowds Hartlepool has been able to achieve over the past 15 years - especially in the last 5 seasons when they have been abysmal on the pitch. Historically we've have had very similar averages, no reason we can't again.

Its not simply going to happen though, we have to work at it. Hopefully the new CEO will look to implement a strategy to grow our fan base that goes beyond just winning games & bring a friend initiatives.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 31, 2017 4:25 pm

Which we can't do until promotion I think, as we wouldn't get grants for it in this division.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 31, 2017 4:31 pm

In terms of fan investment, just a little concerned about the seats pitch. The first 50,000 has been OK, but it's subsequent to that. By Dec.31st we need to have the 150k in its entirety. That's £610 per day, which hasn't been happening. Am I being overly pessimistic here?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 31, 2017 4:39 pm

All the more reason to raise money through ticket revenue.

DC

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:50 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:In terms of fan investment, just a little concerned about the seats pitch. The first 50,000 has been OK, but it's subsequent to that. By Dec.31st we need to have the 150k in its entirety. That's £610 per day, which hasn't been happening. Am I being overly pessimistic here?
I think the reality was always going to be that this would need to be funded through fans donations, increased ticket revenue, cup prize money (if we can get some). And most importantly commercial/corporate sponsorship. Whethere that be through a full sponsorship package or the new stand by a big business or a package similar to the morritt becoming our shirt sponsors investment from these sources will be key to meeting the targets.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed May 31, 2017 5:21 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:In terms of fan investment, just a little concerned about the seats pitch. The first 50,000 has been OK, but it's subsequent to that. By Dec.31st we need to have the 150k in its entirety. That's £610 per day, which hasn't been happening. Am I being overly pessimistic here?
No - raised this on another thread a while back. In addition we have another 40k odd to find for the boost the budget. I think we have had most of the money that most of the core fanbase are going to cough up so the rest is going to need some extra sources of revenue. Perhaps we need to address this now rather than when the clock has completely wound down?

Worse still, as I understand it if we don't reach the 50k pitch target all that money disappears.

Anyone fancy selling their house?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed May 31, 2017 5:38 pm

So I guess that the 150k to be raised was always more in hope than expectation. DFC raises a point that I was worried about - that we have reached saturation point in terms of fan investment. If we were to raise the 150k comfortably then the numbers would be rolling around more quickly then they are now, or maybe in terms of an indicator that is a bit of a red herring.
If we look at it from another angle, there have been 54 investors so far. If we double the amount of investors, they would each need to invest £1000 each. 5 times the amount of investors, which is unlikely, would need to invest £500 each. Is that realistic?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:32 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:If we look at it from another angle, there have been 54 investors so far. If we double the amount of investors, they would each need to invest £1000 each. 5 times the amount of investors, which is unlikely, would need to invest £500 each. Is that realistic?
That is if you look at that pitch in isolation. An alternative angle we raised £104,163 from anywhere between 164 and 318 people.

The hope has to be that in the next 6 months everyone who has invested to date can almost invest the same again and we'd be pretty darn close.

The frustrating thing is we have £38,000 boosting the budget for a team which might as well not be boosted as unless the ground is built we could have achieved not getting promoted with a smaller budget. £28,000 of that budget money would enable us to get started on the groundworks and get the next pitch underway.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:26 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:If we look at it from another angle, there have been 54 investors so far. If we double the amount of investors, they would each need to invest £1000 each. 5 times the amount of investors, which is unlikely, would need to invest £500 each. Is that realistic?
That is if you look at that pitch in isolation. An alternative angle we raised £104,163 from anywhere between 164 and 318 people.

The hope has to be that in the next 6 months everyone who has invested to date can almost invest the same again and we'd be pretty darn close.

The frustrating thing is we have £38,000 boosting the budget for a team which might as well not be boosted as unless the ground is built we could have achieved not getting promoted with a smaller budget. £28,000 of that budget money would enable us to get started on the groundworks and get the next pitch underway.
And there is no point having a ground fit for the Conference, if we don't have a team that can get us in or close to the play-offs.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:06 pm

But a ground last forever...league seasons restart every year. You can always invest in the team next year - you can't do that with the ground...old debate and clearly there are two opposing views on it.

I guess I'd buy the bigger bed first then buy the right sized bedding. Guess you would buy the bedding first and then save up for the bed afterwards.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:15 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

And there is no point having a ground fit for the Conference, if we don't have a team that can get us in or close to the play-offs.
As we found when our sugar daddy built us a ground instead of investing in a team.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:01 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:As we found when our sugar daddy built us a ground instead of investing in a team.
You seriously believe that prioritising infrastructure over the team to get a ground to the minimum standard eligible for promotion is the same as leaving a perfectly eligible ground to move to a new 25,000 all seater stadium?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:54 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Yes there is. It means we can aspire to reaching the conference every single season until we get there.

If we have the team but no suitable ground, we can't aspire to anything.

DC