New CEO

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlobaz79
Team Supported: Darlington

New CEO

Post by Darlobaz79 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Darlobaz79

Re: New CEO

Post by Darlobaz79 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 25, 2017 2:51 pm

I assume this is a voluntary role?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Well he sounds very positive about the way going forward. Good to see that he wants to get us back into the Football League.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 25, 2017 3:59 pm

It's great that somebody has come forward to help out those currently there. He speaks well and he's got good business experience, so hopefully it works out well for him and for us! The business plan being constructed will make interesting reading (if publicly available of course). Interesting to hear that we need to increase turnover by £500k to survive at the next level. Anyone know what our turnover is now (and how it compares to other clubs of our size)?

The most interesting comment in there was about "being back in the football league with our own ground"

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Thu May 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Very interesting news regarding the ground that he hopes to have the concrete and frame up before the season commences and improvements to the existing stand. Came across very well welcome aboard.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Tempest's day job is recruitment so hats of to him persuading the new guy to join plus we still have Jonathan Jowett as Company Secretary shame Cook left, a strong board is what we need. Onwards and upwards.

bga

Post by bga » Thu May 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Sounded influential with lots of experience, great appointment. I cannot get to the DFCSG SGM on Friday, but will be interesting to learn if David is able to elaborate on any of the points in the interview with Ray. Having said that I accept it is still very early days for him.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Thu May 25, 2017 9:02 pm

DarloDave40 wrote:Tempest's day job is recruitment so hats of to him persuading the new guy to join plus we still have Jonathan Jowett as Company Secretary shame Cook left, a strong board is what we need. Onwards and upwards.
Sounds like MG brought him to the table judging from the comments in today's Echo and DJ's interview on the official site
That would also fit with DJ having been a shareholder and director in MG's centre of excellence.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri May 26, 2017 8:20 pm

He was very impressive and confident in his first showing,

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri May 26, 2017 8:24 pm

I've only listened to him in his Ray Simpson interview on the main website but I'm very impressed

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:07 pm

Cannot fail to be impressed after listening to Ray's interview...he is exactly what we need and have every confidence we are in very safe hands.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri May 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Looks like plans are to go full time in the Conference Ron, as an increase of 500k takes us to nearly 1 million, which MG said was a full time budget.
Also, the Arena is a no-go clearly.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:42 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Looks like plans are to go full time in the Conference Ron, as an increase of 500k takes us to nearly 1 million, which MG said was a full time budget.
Interesting about owning our own ground Adam, if the Arena is a non starter just wonder what the other options are.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri May 26, 2017 10:35 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Looks like plans are to go full time in the Conference Ron, as an increase of 500k takes us to nearly 1 million, which MG said was a full time budget.
Interesting about owning our own ground Adam, if the Arena is a non starter just wonder what the other options are.h

Language used soundsgood so far

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:08 am

He definitely talks the talk. He sounds very good for the club, giving us structure like Martin jesper did.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 27, 2017 10:56 am

Good early words from Mr Johnston, but of course actions speak much louder.

Interesting answer on whether the Arena would ever be an option. I'm glad he's squashed that idea here and now.
If you look at the operational costs of running the Arena, they’re £270,000 a year. Compared with the rent where we are now, you’re looking at something like £200,000 more. If I said to Martin Gray – do you want to play at the Arena or have £200,000 more in your playing budget, what do you think he would say?

It would produce a level of cost that the club could not sustain.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:36 am

tdk1 wrote:He definitely talks the talk. He sounds very good for the club, giving us structure like Martin jesper did.
I am not sure we have ever really had a structure. We've always had directors and that is pretty much it. I think this is the firs time we will have a proper club structure with designated roles and responsibilities.

It all sounds positive and good noises.

Wary over structural change, wary over what the return on investment will be for investors but ultimately he is very good calibre and clearly knows how to operate much larger organisations than Darlington Football Club.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat May 27, 2017 4:18 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Interesting about owning our own ground Adam, if the Arena is a non starter just wonder what the other options are.

It must be to build a new ground somewhere on BM, which I thought was the original idea about moving there...means we might be away from that bloody pipe too

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat May 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Given that DJ has been through the door five minutes I highly doubt he has a plan to either relocate or build a new ground. I believe like all of us he realises that in order to be sustainable at a higher level than we are currently then we need to own our own ground and generate revenue 7 days a week. Don't confuse this for some master plan. Since day one there has never been any plan for an additional ground at BM. It might have been an aspiration of a certain board but I'm sure it left with them. Again, don't confuse these long term aspirations for actual plans

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat May 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Very sensible Scott most at the meeting understood that is what David Johnston was alluding to.
As you said the man has just come aboard give him time to settle in , he will then have the information required to see what where and how he can implement a strategy to be beneficial to our club. Welcome on board David Johnston