Phil Turnbull

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarrytheQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Phil Turnbull

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri May 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Well Jameson will go, hopefully Portas will stay and that just leaves Burgess. I want Burgess to stay, hopefully when fit he'll be back to his old self.
Given that central defence is arguable our weakest position, perhaps Burgess will be one to move on and be replaced with someone more experienced.
Whats wrong with Burgess all of a sudden?? I don't get it

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 19, 2017 2:52 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Well Jameson will go, hopefully Portas will stay and that just leaves Burgess. I want Burgess to stay, hopefully when fit he'll be back to his old self.
Given that central defence is arguable our weakest position, perhaps Burgess will be one to move on and be replaced with someone more experienced.
Whats wrong with Burgess all of a sudden?? I don't get it
Nothing particularly but it's been highlighted several times this season that we're perhaps not robust or organised enough. If Burgess is the only one out of contract he'd be the easiest to move on.

Our three first choice defenders have all risen two or three levels with us - it's not surprising that they may start being stretched beyond their best. All other positions have been supplemented with players from higher up the pyramid - Syers and Turnbull in midfield, Gillies, Beck, Bartlett.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Fri May 19, 2017 3:25 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Spyman wrote:According to the 1718 prologue thread, Jameson, Burgess and Portas.

Of course, it doesn't mean that those who are contracted can't be moved on.
Cheers. Just trying to work out the implications of a (as far as we know) ~£50k budget cut (as it stands). Falkingham gone, one of the backup keepers to go, Hardy went towards the end of last season. Wonder how much that lot would add up to.

Off season is fun isn't it :D
May 2015 was reported that Portas signed a 3 year contract so should still have another year to run?
Could well have done. All I can see is "long term contract". I wouldn't describe 2 years as particularly long term!

A midfield 4 of Turnbull Syers Portas and Scott (and Lee Hume signed a contract yesterday too) is a more than decent selection of central midfielders.

In an ideal world, we'd strengthen defensively and sign another striker. Apart from that we're pretty much set if everyone stays. Will have to be a few out for that to happen though.
Club website also says Dale Milburn (Forward) has signed a contract. He only signed one for us in Feb. this year so perhaps he has earned an extension despite not playing for First team yet as far as I can recall?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri May 19, 2017 5:16 pm

I reckon we are more likely to see Ed leave.

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri May 19, 2017 5:39 pm

loan_star wrote:
Wouldn't be shocked to see both Jameson and Ed leave and worry about getting someone in if we need.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Fri May 19, 2017 6:20 pm

shawry wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Wouldn't be shocked to see both Jameson and Ed leave and worry about getting someone in if we need.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
We've also got Jack McLaren who's been on loan at Billingham Synthonia. Was at Doncaster Rovers 2 seasons ago learning under Ross Turnbull, moved back to Newton Aycliffe because he didn't want to move to donny. He's a good keeper, done well for Synthonia. Wouldn't mind him as a second choice. Only 20 year old as well.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 pm

From what I saw last season, Burgess is good enough for this level no doubt. He's been very unfortunate with injuries recently but he is our best centre-half at present.

To be totally honest, it wouldn't surprise me to see all of the squad retained now (minus 1 or 2 goalkeepers) and then Gray will look to see where he can improve / who he can bring in. The reality of the situation is that there are always teams lower down that will be interested in our players and can match their wages there or thereabouts.

We're probably also going in to next season with a strong cohort of young players - probably the strongest since 2012 - in McLaren, Lovegreen, Hume, Milburn, Saunders etc.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat May 20, 2017 12:02 am

Darlofan97 wrote:From what I saw last season, Burgess is good enough for this level no doubt. He's been very unfortunate with injuries recently but he is our best centre-half at present.

To be totally honest, it wouldn't surprise me to see all of the squad retained now (minus 1 or 2 goalkeepers) and then Gray will look to see where he can improve / who he can bring in. The reality of the situation is that there are always teams lower down that will be interested in our players and can match their wages there or thereabouts.

We're probably also going in to next season with a strong cohort of young players - probably the strongest since 2012 - in McLaren, Lovegreen, Hume, Milburn, Saunders etc.
I'll bet you £100 now (winner puts their money towards DFCSG) that they make less than 15 appearances combined

Edit
Actually, now I'm sober I retract that, Saunders will probably get game time. Doubt the others will feature much though.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Spyman on Sat May 20, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat May 20, 2017 8:49 am

Spyman's Darlo Cockney quote always makes me chuckle.

It's wrong on so many levels.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:44 am

Spyman wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:From what I saw last season, Burgess is good enough for this level no doubt. He's been very unfortunate with injuries recently but he is our best centre-half at present.

I'll bet you £100 now (winner puts their money towards DFCSG) that they make less than 15 appearances combined

Edit
Actually, now I'm sober I retract that, Saunders will probably get game time. Doubt the others will feature much though.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Saunders made 10 appearances last season despite really only breaking through around late February. Maybe the others won't, but still options to have on the bench.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Saunders has signed a new 2 year deal this afternoon too

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 21, 2017 8:16 am

Darlobaz79 wrote:Saunders has signed a new 2 year deal this afternoon too
Good news, as he didn't get a lot of game time, as he only came onto the pitch generally as a late substitute, but he certainly has an eye for the goal and chipped in with a few late goals.