Forest Green

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

biccynana
Team Supported: Darlington

Forest Green

Post by biccynana » Sat May 13, 2017 2:59 pm

A timely article about FGR who have recently gone from the fan-owned to investor model. The chairman's worth £100m, but of course, as always with these things there's no indication as to what would happen to the club if (when?) the chairman gets bored and pulls the plug.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... re-wembley

JamesDarlo

Re: Forest Green

Post by JamesDarlo » Sat May 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Forest Green are one of the strangest clubs I've ever come across. All the food being vegan, plans on building a wooden stadium and a bunch of gimmicky eco-friendly ideas all over the place. Anyone know a £100m vegan businessman willing to buy into our club?

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat May 13, 2017 3:24 pm

JamesDarlo wrote:Forest Green are one of the strangest clubs I've ever come across. All the food being vegan, plans on building a wooden stadium and a bunch of gimmicky eco-friendly ideas all over the place. Anyone know a £100m vegan businessman willing to buy into our club?
The stadium is due in the next 5 years apparently - hard to believe a wooden stadium is classed as safe but it must be. It's been designed by the architect who did the London Olympics acquatic centre. It looks good, if a little incongruous in the middle of a field.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... believe-it

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Apparently FG have sold just under 3,000 tickets for their play-off final against Tranmere at Wembley where there'll be a crowd of over 20,000. Green Army :mrgreen:

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:34 pm

JamesDarlo wrote:Forest Green are one of the strangest clubs I've ever come across. All the food being vegan, plans on building a wooden stadium and a bunch of gimmicky eco-friendly ideas all over the place. Anyone know a £100m vegan businessman willing to buy into our club?

The chairman bans on about sustainability and then runs a club losing a couple of million pounds a year. Not sure how that fits in with sustainability

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Sat May 13, 2017 3:55 pm

biccynana wrote:
The stadium is due in the next 5 years apparently - hard to believe a wooden stadium is classed as safe but it must be. It's been designed by the architect who did the London Olympics acquatic centre. It looks good, if a little incongruous in the middle of a field.

In the first article it talks about his ambition for the club to be championship level, yet they're designing a 5000 seater stadium? How the hell is this going to work financially?
spen666 wrote:

The chairman bans on about sustainability and then runs a club losing a couple of million pounds a year. Not sure how that fits in with sustainability
Think he's been on the green if anything.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:01 pm

spen666 wrote:

It's sustainable if he keeps supporting it, which, by the sounds of it, he is going to.

Stuff only vegan food mind.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Apparently FG have sold just under 3,000 tickets for their play-off final against Tranmere at Wembley where there'll be a crowd of over 20,000. Green Army :mrgreen:
Fleetwood,Fylde,Salford ,Harrogate and now FGR.What have they all in common....hardly any fan base yet have wealthy investors willing to write off millions.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun May 14, 2017 11:02 am

Good luck to Mark Cooper today.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun May 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Good luck to Micky Mellon today, supporting my mates in the SWA!!!!

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Sun May 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Forrest green Make it to the football league with a 2.5m loss for the season apparently. The conference national will be more appealing in 4/5 years time when all these villagers get to the football league Flyde,SALFORD .

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Make that £3.5m. Mark Cooper had a £1m promotion bonus in his contract.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sun May 14, 2017 4:53 pm

If you need anyone to win you one game it's Mark Cooper

TDS

Post by TDS » Sun May 14, 2017 6:37 pm

£2.5m loss to get promotion from that league. Do people really still think we are a League 2 club? Seems you'd need millions to stand still in the conference.

Lo, is that true about Mark Cooper? Jesus.

The top end of the Conference and League 2 is flooded with money and is a totally different prospect than the one we used to compete in. People complaining this level is too low for them may need their expectations realigning.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:48 pm

They get regular gates of less than 1300, the owner has written off millions, owns Ecotricity, used to be a hippy and not a football fan apparently.Gutted for Tranmere, a proper football club.Salford, Fylde, FGR, Harrogate.....who next.

Darlo_Manc

Post by Darlo_Manc » Sun May 14, 2017 7:00 pm

roadrunner wrote:Forrest green Make it to the football league with a 2.5m loss for the season apparently. The conference national will be more appealing in 4/5 years time when all these villagers get to the football league Flyde,SALFORD .
Problem is in 4/5 years it'll be someone else being bankrolled. Either get to the promised land or go bust when the chairman gets bored.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:58 pm

TDS wrote:Lo, is that true about Mark Cooper? Jesus.
Been told it a few times this season. Can't say I've heard it from horses mouth but it is common hearsay around conference clubs...

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Congratulations to Forest Green, I think it is good for football, if one of the sides promoted to the Football League, is a side that has never been in the Football League before. It'll be interesting to see how they go on next season, both on the pitch and off it.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon May 15, 2017 2:07 pm

They'll probably walk through League 2. A lot of teams seem to do it, and they are backed to a ridiculous amount.

I actually think their crowds are decent for the size of the place. Nailsworth has a population of 6000. It is ridiculous that their owner puts so much money in to a club with that level of fanbase, but each to their own.

I'm pleased for Mark Cooper though. I liked him, and he was responsible for one of the greatest days we will ever experience as a football club.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I think it is good for football, if one of the sides promoted to the Football League, is a side that has never been in the Football League before.
Yeh I love it when these teams just come up with zero support entirely financed by a rich owner. It's really good for the game.

You do realise Pete it's teams like this that are making it such a challenge for us to be fan owned? You know that surely?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 15, 2017 4:54 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I think it is good for football, if one of the sides promoted to the Football League, is a side that has never been in the Football League before.
Yeh I love it when these teams just come up with zero support entirely financed by a rich owner. It's really good for the game.

You do realise Pete it's teams like this that are making it such a challenge for us to be fan owned? You know that surely?
Yes of course I realise that, but the sentimental side of me, likes the notion that sides can get into the Football League that have not been there before, ignoring how they had got into that position in the first place.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Yes of course I realise that, but the sentimental side of me, likes the notion that sides can get into the Football League that have not been there before, ignoring how they had got into that position in the first place.
Like Gretna? A little Scottish club, catapulted up to their Premier League ( :lol: ) then when Mr Mileson gets ill, they are no more.

It's not good for football Pete!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Got to say Pete many many fans will disagree, it is everything that is wrong with lower league football, gutted for Tranmere, a proper football club and I just hope FG get battered in L2 and gates plummet to 600 with a squad of 22 full time players but doubt this will happen with these owners who are happy to write off millions for a bit of glory and publicity.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Pete's getting worse.

He said on another thread that it was a "no brainer" taking Singh's 40K.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon May 15, 2017 7:36 pm

I find it really endearing and appealing that Dale Vince has already said that getting into League One will be a piece of cake for FGR because of the extra promotion slots available.
And it was lovely and humble to see the Fylde 'army' wearing shirts with 2022 on them in reference to their vow to be in the Football League by that date, together with a banner saying '2022: Stop us if you can.'
And there's the Salford fans lecturing people on 'Living within your means' and telling everyone how there's is the way to run a football club properly and sustainably.

eddierowlesbeardd

Post by eddierowlesbeardd » Mon May 15, 2017 9:44 pm

biccynana wrote:

Dartford FC did this over ten years ago - was very impressed on my visit there a few years ago - very tidy little ground and loved the design of it. Would suit us down to the err...ground.

http://www.sustainabilityinsport.com/ca ... tball-club