hang your heads in shame

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dave hardisty
Team Supported: Darlington

hang your heads in shame

Post by dave hardisty » Fri May 12, 2017 12:28 pm

After what martin Gray as done for this club over the past 5 years and some people are asking for his head.
Lets be honest without him i suspect we would still be fumbling around in the northern league or the evostick with average players.

As for running around behind the backs of the directors and trying to get investment are you sure this was behind their backs from what i can see he is trying to improve the club no one else seems to be trying to get investment.

lets get behind the manager and encourage him to stay and take our club forward

sorry for my spelling and grammer might not be the cleverest but i care about DFC

Robbie Painter

Re: hang your heads in shame

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri May 12, 2017 12:37 pm

I completely agree about getting behind Martin Gray and hope he will stay as manager. He's done an excellent job over the past 5 seasons. The fans will do their best to provide him with a competitive budget for next season & the door is always open to other, more suitable, investors.

Whatever mistakes have been made over the past few months, we need to put that behind us and focus on the coming season & the many challenges & opportunities ahead.

Hopefully everyone, whatever their views, will be constructive going forward rather than having a go backwards & forwards at each other. There is far more that unites us, than divides us.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 pm

dave hardisty wrote:After what martin Gray as done for this club over the past 5 years and some people are asking for his head.
Lets be honest without him i suspect we would still be fumbling around in the northern league or the evostick with average players.

As for running around behind the backs of the directors and trying to get investment are you sure this was behind their backs from what i can see he is trying to improve the club no one else seems to be trying to get investment.

lets get behind the manager and encourage him to stay and take our club forward

sorry for my spelling and grammer might not be the cleverest but i care about DFC
I suspect we wouldn't be fumbling around the NL or Evostick. I fully understand Gray's frustrations, but surely even you must admit that going cap in hand to the one person guaranteed to get a less than warm welcome was naïve in the extreme. He now has to decide if he can work within the constraints we have as a club. I hope he can, but if not, we will get someone who can.

As for no one trying to get investment, do you include yourself in that statement?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:44 pm

I don't think anyone has asked for his head. People have just said that we should look to keep him at all costs if he wishes to walk.

Ultimately accepted that life goes on without Martin Gray, he is not the club, he is just the manager.

I'd prefer he stayed, he is clearly a good manager but he lives within the budget assigned to him by the board as any other manager at any other club does.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 12, 2017 12:47 pm

The vast majority want Gray to stay.

You're right that we do need to come together and get behind the manager. We also need to do the same with the board and all those who volunteer their time - no more kangaroo courts after a mistake. Constructive criticism yes, but some of the comments aimed at the board over the last few weeks have been far from constructive, and we're now one resignation away from a disastrous situation.

The past is the past - let's decide how we move forwards as a club.

dave hardisty

Post by dave hardisty » Fri May 12, 2017 12:50 pm

yes i do include myself i dont have any contacts within any other company but the one i work for i have asked them but they are not interested

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:51 pm

al_quaker wrote:Constructive criticism yes, but some of the comments aimed at the board over the last few weeks have been far from constructive, and we're now one resignation away from a disastrous situation.
It doesn't help when people very close to the manager seem to turn up to Fans Forums and deliberately direct criticism at the board and conversely cheer and give an ovation to his statements. Almost as if there was an element of staging to it. Any thoughts on that Dave?

dave hardisty

Post by dave hardisty » Fri May 12, 2017 12:57 pm

i am close to the manager but not his puppet i will say what i think always have done

so do you not think the board deserved criticism regaurding the seating problem by the way this is the only thing i could critise them over.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Did your friend find someone to run his bath for him? ;)
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 12, 2017 1:07 pm

dave hardisty wrote:i am close to the manager but not his puppet i will say what i think always have done

so do you not think the board deserved criticism regaurding the seating problem by the way this is the only thing i could critise them over.
Some criticism yet, but a few individuals, coming to a head at the fans forum, went way beyond what was reasonable. They are/were volunteers, and now we're nearly out of board members. If John Tempest resigns, we've got bigger problems than whether Gray stays or not.

Let's learn from the last few months and try and build a better football club.

dave hardisty

Post by dave hardisty » Fri May 12, 2017 1:12 pm

i agree al
i might have let my frustation get to me on that evening and i appolagised to john tempest and other people on the top table that evening.

i came on hear to say lets get behind the manager and make sure we have him next season

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 12, 2017 1:21 pm

dave hardisty wrote:i agree al
i might have let my frustation get to me on that evening and i appolagised to john tempest and other people on the top table that evening.

i came on hear to say lets get behind the manager and make sure we have him next season
Good to hear that apologies have been made :thumbup:

The majority are behind Gray - if you know him do your bit and let him know that! We want him to stay, we're digging deep to try and give him as big a budget as we can afford, and we're not necessarily against his plans for investment per se, just the individual who was involved in the recent proposal.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri May 12, 2017 1:48 pm

lo36789 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Constructive criticism yes, but some of the comments aimed at the board over the last few weeks have been far from constructive, and we're now one resignation away from a disastrous situation.
It doesn't help when people very close to the manager seem to turn up to Fans Forums and deliberately direct criticism at the board and conversely cheer and give an ovation to his statements. Almost as if there was an element of staging to it. Any thoughts on that Dave?
Shouldn't be anywhere near the club!

Maybe there's a Kit Man job on the table, lol, again!

dave hardisty

Post by dave hardisty » Fri May 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Quality lol

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:18 pm

dave hardisty wrote:i agree al

Totally agree with Dave, Martin is passionate and who can blame him for seeking investment in our club to take us forward, that is the nature of the man.Also I was speaking to John Tempest at the same time that Dave came up and apologised so would confirm this to be true.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri May 12, 2017 8:31 pm

I don't blame him either I guess. The turn of events that night was a little strange and the events of the last week do add a different shade to what was said. End of the day though we all need to dust ourselves down and move on. I think the episode has proved that...
a) we are open to the idea of some investment but we're not prepared to sell our souls to the first guy who waves a chequebook around
b) we still want MG to lead us on the field

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:34 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:I don't blame him either I guess. The turn of events that night was a little strange and the events of the last week do add a different shade to what was said. End of the day though we all need to dust ourselves down and move on. I think the episode has proved that...
a) we are open to the idea of some investment but we're not prepared to sell our souls to the first guy who waves a chequebook around
b) we still want MG to lead us on the field
Spot on Nick.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri May 12, 2017 8:49 pm

To this end I hope people can prioritise supporting the Boost the Budget fund in the next week or so and hopefully MG will stay. The seats can always come after that. MG needs to give it another year. A full season at BM, a better pitch to play on, get the infrastructure up to scratch and sell more advertising hoardings. I don't buy all this doom and gloom. If we can keep much of the squad together, our team spirit already gives us a head start on other teams.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri May 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Bang on Vic. Let's get Martin as close to his preferred budget as we can asap. If/once he's on board then we set to and help deliver the required infrastructure. Right now I see only good coming from this episode

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat May 13, 2017 5:28 am

dave hardisty wrote:i am close to the manager but not his puppet i will say what i think always have done

I remember you getting stuck into Hodgy once in his early days at Feethams Dave....but you ended up having a good relationship with him. If you still speak with him maybe you can find out what these investment plans might have looked like??

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat May 13, 2017 4:56 pm

al_quaker wrote:The vast majority want Gray to stay.

You're right that we do need to come together and get behind the manager. We also need to do the same with the board and all those who volunteer their time - no more kangaroo courts after a mistake. Constructive criticism yes, but some of the comments aimed at the board over the last few weeks have been far from constructive, and we're now one resignation away from a disastrous situation.

Hands up anyone who wants MG to leave!

The vast majority of fans remained united in caring about their club 1st and team 2nd.

The speculator's vagueness regarding the "investment" was the main cause of split opinions between fans (attempt at divide and conquer?).

I suppose 80% plus of Darlo fans dont want a succession of outsider owners again.

There may be a few more vocal fans spitting their dummies out, but I for one don't need the earache.

If local fundraising can't reach the FA's loony seat targets for promotions anytime soon, then we will just have to be patient, recognising the local economics in the deprived NE.

Rather than repeatedly asking the public for more money, why not manage some cup runs to improve revenue and local support?

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:27 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
al_quaker wrote:The vast majority want Gray to stay.

Hands up anyone who wants MG to leave!

The vast majority of fans remained united in caring about their club 1st and team 2nd.

The speculator's vagueness regarding the "investment" was the main cause of split opinions between fans (attempt at divide and conquer?).

I suppose 80% plus of Darlo fans dont want a succession of outsider owners again.

There may be a few more vocal fans spitting their dummies out, but I for one don't need the earache.

If local fundraising can't reach the FA's loony seat targets for promotions anytime soon, then we will just have to be patient, recognising the local economics in the deprived NE.

Rather than repeatedly asking the public for more money, why not manage some cup runs to improve revenue and local support?

80% of the fans did not want Raj singh neil. It may had been a totally different story if it was another investor im sure a good 90% are for a investor just not singh

exiled fan

Post by exiled fan » Sat May 13, 2017 6:20 pm

dave hardisty wrote:After what martin Gray as done for this club over the past 5 years and some people are asking for his head.
Yes I agree MG has had a succesful five years.
But remember this is by having an over-inflated playing budget in relation to our status. Working at a ex league club with crowds far and away bigger than our competitors has also been an influence in the players attracted.
His academy has done well off the DFC name yet how many have broken through? MG in my view crossed the line by not informing the board as soon as the first conversation took place and showed his arrogance by making the veiled threat that unless we accept it he would leave and in his view we would go tumbling down the leagues. Sorry but the club is not MG or MGs to hold to ransom

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 15, 2017 11:50 am

Great to see you posting on here Dave. I've not really seen anyone who is as passionate about Darlo than yourself. I agree entirely with what you have said above, it would be a tragedy if we lost Gray, everybody needs to get behind him and I'm sure Gray will lead us through these trying times and he'll continue to move the club forward, which surely is what we all want.
Last edited by Darlo_Pete on Mon May 15, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Great to see you posting on here Dave. I've not really anyone who is as passionate about Darlo than yourself. I agree entirely with what you have said above, it would be a tragedy if we lost Gray, everybody needs to get behind him and I'm sure Gray will lead us through these trying times and he'll continue to move the club forward, which surely is what we all want.
Spot on Pete.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Craig09 wrote:im sure a good 90% are for a investor just not singh
I'm sure 100% are up for an investor. By definition an investor is simply someone putting money into the club.

I am not convinced 90% are up for handing over control of the club though.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon May 15, 2017 3:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Craig09 wrote:im sure a good 90% are for a investor just not singh
I'm sure 100% are up for an investor. By definition an investor is simply someone putting money into the club.

I am not convinced 90% are up for handing over control of the club though.
10% might be closer

Henley

Post by Henley » Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 pm

lo36789 wrote:
I don't know where you got your definition of investor from but that's not what an investor is. That's a benefactor.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Oh sorry should have been specific "via the Community share pitches as publicised by the DFCSG"