RS Investment Poll

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Should the investment proposal from RS be accepted?

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes: 109

Robbie Painter
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: RS Investment Poll

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 am

comeondarlo wrote:
ambiente wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:
Quakerz wrote:The current proposal gives the budget a decent boost with no real risk to the club.

This seems pretty straightforward to me - he's just buying shares (albeit a big lump) like anyone else can do.

It's an easy decision to accept this - however - morally not an easy decision.

The biggest and hardest decision would be whether we allowed further investments, and it is not set in stone that if we accept this, that we have to agree to further proposals.

This is where I am roughly.
I understand and respect the 'No' voters though basically we need more information and tough no holds barred questions asked of RS.
And we expect Him to tell us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. How quickly we forget. Should he be anywhere near the club, no no and even more no. I vote no.
I'm not going to argue with you tbh. As I say I respect and totally understand the No vote, it was my initial reaction too. My opinion has moved but only slightly from yours tbh. We need more information, we need to hear him speak....
We won't though will we. He has chosen to communicate with the fans/members/shareholders via an online forum only. He hasn't even released a statement yet outlining his intentions for DFC. We are now over 2 weeks into his investment approach.

We don't know how the questions will be vetted, which questions he ignores, we can't see his body language as he answers. We won't know whether he is dismissive of our concerns, angered by questions about 2011/12, etc, etc.

If he was really committed to working with us & respectful of us he would be engaging in an open meeting which is the only truly effective way we can question him in my opinion.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:58 am

Robbie Painter wrote: .....

We won't though will we. He has chosen to communicate with the fans/members/shareholders via an online forum only. He hasn't even released a statement yet outlining his intentions for DFC. We are now over 2 weeks into his investment approach.

We don't know how the questions will be vetted, which questions he ignores, we can't see his body language as he answers. We won't know whether he is dismissive of our concerns, angered by questions about 2011/12, etc, etc.

If he was really committed to working with us & respectful of us he would be engaging in an open meeting which is the only truly effective way we can question him in my opinion.

Whilst I fully agree with all you say, I can understand why, after the last Fans Forum and the conduct of one or two people there, that Singh ( who has far more to fear from the fans than the board did ) is reluctant to attend an open meeting!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 10, 2017 11:13 am

At the moment any open meeting/forum would just descend into a shouting match and be very counter productive.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:22 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:At the moment any open meeting/forum would just descend into a shouting match and be very counter productive.
But you demanded a show down with the board regarding the ground grading which was always going to (and did) end up in the same way.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed May 10, 2017 11:29 am

Robbie Painter wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:
ambiente wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:
Quakerz wrote:The current proposal gives the budget a decent boost with no real risk to the club.

This seems pretty straightforward to me - he's just buying shares (albeit a big lump) like anyone else can do.

It's an easy decision to accept this - however - morally not an easy decision.

The biggest and hardest decision would be whether we allowed further investments, and it is not set in stone that if we accept this, that we have to agree to further proposals.

This is where I am roughly.
I understand and respect the 'No' voters though basically we need more information and tough no holds barred questions asked of RS.
And we expect Him to tell us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. How quickly we forget. Should he be anywhere near the club, no no and even more no. I vote no.
I'm not going to argue with you tbh. As I say I respect and totally understand the No vote, it was my initial reaction too. My opinion has moved but only slightly from yours tbh. We need more information, we need to hear him speak....

I rarely agree with Darlo Pete but I agree an open meeting wouldn't be possible.

I can see a meeting from 'trusted' Darlo fans (led by someone like Ray S) and tough no holds barred questions asked. The answers then fed back to us, at least then we'd have some info.

Btw I think most 'No' voters won't change their opinion no matter what!
Whereas most 'Yes' voters would, most Yes voters will be like me; very uneasy with it!

Sleethy

Post by Sleethy » Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 am

I will change my no opinion if he can give me a convincing reason why he wouldn't give us the golden share thereby shafting the very fans who had to rebuild the club,if not he can fuck off and gray can go with him.ive really lost a lot of respect for Martin gray over this.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed May 10, 2017 11:53 am

spen666 wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote: .....

Whilst I fully agree with all you say, I can understand why, after the last Fans Forum and the conduct of one or two people there, that Singh ( who has far more to fear from the fans than the board did ) is reluctant to attend an open meeting!
A closed meeting then, with a video link so everyone else could watch.

Like I said in another post - keep an eye on the length and craft of his answers. I've seen really long answers in some of these Net Cafes which couldn't possibly have been answered off bat and transcribed as quickly as they appear on the screen.

It's ok and actually quite useful for non-critical Q&A sessions, but for this we need to see and hear him react to questions he doesn't know are coming.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Say if Raj was voted in could we put some kind of buy back clause in the contract from us supporters as a backup plan ?

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed May 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk[/quote]
I understand your argument, but I disagree entirely with it.

It's the idea of saying we're happy to accept money from the man who ruined the club, that I won't stomach. It's a point of principle.

Taking the 40k would look to the outside world like we were crawling back to Singh, which would be humiliating and damaging. That's where the risk would be - to our reputation.

And the 40k would be going on one year's playing budget. It would be a frivolous investment as it wouldn't benefit the club, because we can't get promoted anyway without a ground that's up to standard.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the money was going towards the stand. But it's not, which proves Singh is backing Martin Gray, not the club.

So if he's not interested in the club, and the money won't benefit us in the long run, what's the point in giving him any share at all, regardless of how small? Just seems a waste of time and effort for a meaningless "reward."

Let's be honest, I don't think there's a single Darlo fan who wants Singh back for his personal qualities. It's only his money that anyone would be after. So if we don't want him, taking his money is desperate, hypocritical and makes us no better than him. That's how I see it anyway.[/quote]

I've had my disagreements with Gramps over the years, but this is exactly where I am at. We went cap in hand to the football world for help 5 years ago, supporters of other clubs feeling our pain and donating to the cause to help us save our football club. MK Darlo's call to arms went viral. All forgotten, because some of us want to chase the Holy Grail of the EFL, apparently at any cost. The same people who vilified the Board for a genuine mistake just a few weeks ago now prepared to get into bed with a man who left us to die, who has been involved in two administrations. If anything would make this club a laughing stock in the footballing world, and guarantees we get no help should it go tits up again, then it's allowing Singh back in.

Gray's part in all this sticks in my craw as well. Not only does he talk to investor's behind his employer's back, he talks to the one investor guaranteed to split our support in two - such empathy from the man. From a club pulling in the same direction, albeit occasionally catching a crab, we will now have two camps constantly at each other for the foreseeable future. Result.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed May 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Craig Stoddart is looking to have a discussion with one of our fans who is pro-Singh in this debate. If any of the 33 who voted yes are OK to have a chat, feel free to contact him directly. If you can't find contact details for him on any social media outlets, feel free to PM me and I'll pass details on.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed May 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:Craig Stoddart is looking to have a discussion with one of our fans who is pro-Singh in this debate. If any of the 33 who voted yes are OK to have a chat, feel free to contact him directly. If you can't find contact details for him on any social media outlets, feel free to PM me and I'll pass details on.
It's not really fair to say that all of the yes voters are pro-Singh.

They are pro taking an easy risk free 40k.

The very same fans might turn and run when his full plan comes out.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed May 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Allan Quatermain wrote:Craig Stoddart is looking to have a discussion with one of our fans who is pro-Singh in this debate. If any of the 33 who voted yes are OK to have a chat, feel free to contact him directly. If you can't find contact details for him on any social media outlets, feel free to PM me and I'll pass details on.

Totally agree, it's manipulating the facts to claim that anyone who doesn't object out of hand is cast as a Singh supporter. I'm probably 20/80 but our board have seen fit to organise an opportunity for him to make his case and I think we should respect that and hear him out.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Quakerz wrote:

You've summed me up in a couple of sentences there Quakerz. Certainly don't think there's any harm in hearing what he has to say.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed May 10, 2017 1:20 pm

JE93 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

You've summed me up in a couple of sentences there Quakerz. Certainly don't think there's any harm in hearing what he has to say.
Ffs! 'Pro-Singh! What a stupid statement!
Are you not reading what's been written!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed May 10, 2017 1:23 pm

comeondarlo wrote:
JE93 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

Exactly, I suspect there isn't a single member of this forum who is 'Pro Singh'. We might be interested in hearing what the proposal is, who is involved and what the long term plan is, but we are not pro Singh.

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed May 10, 2017 2:35 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
comeondarlo wrote:
JE93 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

Exactly, I suspect there isn't a single member of this forum who is 'Pro Singh'. We might be interested in hearing what the proposal is, who is involved and what the long term plan is, but we are not pro Singh.
Spot On: Looks like the "the empty chair"

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed May 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Quakerz wrote:

Yeah, I didn't word that very well. Stod used the phrase pro-Singh and I was just looking to see if any of the 33 (at the time) yes voters fitted that category.

Apologies if I offended anybody or anybody feels like I've been over-generalising, it was unintentional.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed May 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Maybe we should have an "Are you pro-Singh" poll?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Wed May 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Darlogramps wrote:If I was voting right now, I'd be voting no. There are just too many issues and unanswered questions.

1. His history with the club. Not just that he put the club into administration, but the lies that went with it. It means I could never trust Singh or his motives

2. Why does the money have to go towards the playing budget? A competitive squad means absolutely nothing if our ground isn't up to standard. All our focus should be on building the infrastructure, not the squad.

3. From a PR point of view, it looks dreadful. We've spent the last five years rebuilding our club, while at the same time taking the moral high ground about how we're doing it (i.e. with the community in mind). Now, we'd be willing to accept the money of a man who nearly ruined us in 2012.

This really would make us a laughing stock, an embarrassment in the eyes of everyone else.

4. Our average attendances have settled at around 1700 - the same as our National League days at the Arena. We are more than capable of surviving on that, combined with sponsorship, fundraising (and dare I say it, a cup run).

5. I want to see us back in the Football League, but it is hugely expensive to get there. Spending beyond our means to fast-track our way to success led to our implosion before.

6. What are his plans for the ground? We have no serious plans to get BM up to Football League standard. If he backs Martin Gray to the level suggested, we will have to have an up to standard ground to progress, otherwise it really is pouring money down the drain.

7. What are the longer term investment and/or takeover plans? Based on what Gray said at the FF, this £40k is far too small to be it, so what's the long term plan? What's the end-game of Singh and the other potential investors?

More than anything, it comes down to an issue of trust. I would always be suspicious of Singh and his motives. And with that doubt, I couldn't vote in favour of his investment.
I agree with you on every point mate, feels to me like it will end up being the past 5 years will be flushed down the swanny.

But I am willing to hear him out, he will have to present a hell of a case of he is to win anybody over, the man in my opinion is a cretin, but I want to hear what the man himself has to say and see if he is willing to give an answer.

Me personally, I dont want him back, I thought of withdrawing my support for the club if he comes back, but decided it is the players I support, not the board.
Darlogramps wrote:
shawry wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:I'm not speculating on anything. I've stated that Raj Singh shouldn't be anywhere near the club he ruined just 5 years ago.

You're the one living in a Fantasy Land, speculating on fantasy scenarios which you have no idea will happen. You might as well speculate on if E.T. will become our new director of football.

Looking at the here and now, a yes vote, even one just to hear his proposal, says you're willing to entertain the idea of him being involved.

If you can stomach that, this is your prerogative. I however, won't accept any idea of Singh owning any section of our football club.
While I accept that a yes vote means we listen to his proposal, I'd rather look at that a yes vote is just accepting 40k. There is no risk.

Let's face it if there are enough no votes for this then there would be enough no votes for the proposal itself, so why not take the 40k and vote down the proposal.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I understand your argument, but I disagree entirely with it.

It's the idea of saying we're happy to accept money from the man who ruined the club, that I won't stomach. It's a point of principle.

Taking the 40k would look to the outside world like we were crawling back to Singh, which would be humiliating and damaging. That's where the risk would be - to our reputation.

And the 40k would be going on one year's playing budget. It would be a frivolous investment as it wouldn't benefit the club, because we can't get promoted anyway without a ground that's up to standard.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the money was going towards the stand. But it's not, which proves Singh is backing Martin Gray, not the club.

So if he's not interested in the club, and the money won't benefit us in the long run, what's the point in giving him any share at all, regardless of how small? Just seems a waste of time and effort for a meaningless "reward."

Let's be honest, I don't think there's a single Darlo fan who wants Singh back for his personal qualities. It's only his money that anyone would be after. So if we don't want him, taking his money is desperate, hypocritical and makes us no better than him. That's how I see it anyway.
Is he involved with MG away from Darlington, does he have some kind of interest in MG's Academy, because it seems that Martin Gray has known all along that Singh is wanting to come back in.

Without trying to speculate, I think it has been mentioned on this thread, that it may be something to do with Neasham Road, redeveloping Blackwell to Cat A, never mind EFL, is probably going to cost a fair wedge and Neasham Road is in place with all facilities in place.

How does this 40 grand work, is it a loan or a deposit of some kind, if his proposal fails could he demand it back.

There is some serious questions need to be answered and he will have to put one hell of a good proposal together if he is to have any chance of getting back in

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

murtonquaker

Post by murtonquaker » Wed May 10, 2017 5:05 pm

I accept the fact that to get back to the EFL we need some kind of private investment, just for redeveloping Blackwell for a start...

Just anybody but him please

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:06 pm

murtonquaker wrote:How does this 40 grand work, is it a loan or a deposit of some kind, if his proposal fails could he demand it back.
The initial proposal is to allow him to have £40k of shares. That will be non-refundable as it is equity in the DFCSG (these are not community share which come with interest and can be drawn out after a period of time).

So the £40k is not in our hands unless the 'first' proposal is accepted to give him £40k of shares.

Obviously everyone is expecting a future proposal to come for all out control of the club. If that proposal falls down he will just be left with a non-controlling share in the Football Club.

murtonquaker

Post by murtonquaker » Wed May 10, 2017 5:17 pm

lo36789 wrote:
murtonquaker wrote:How does this 40 grand work, is it a loan or a deposit of some kind, if his proposal fails could he demand it back.
The initial proposal is to allow him to have £40k of shares. That will be non-refundable as it is equity in the DFCSG (these are not community share which come with interest and can be drawn out after a period of time).

So the £40k is not in our hands unless the 'first' proposal is accepted to give him £40k of shares.

Obviously everyone is expecting a future proposal to come for all out control of the club. If that proposal falls down he will just be left with a non-controlling share in the Football Club.
Does each stage require a vote? If so, is there anything to stop people voting For the 40k only to vote his proposal down and shaft him

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:24 pm

nope.

We need to vote to give him £40k of shares assuming he won't be happy with that he will need to come back to the table.

As others have pointed out though Raj Singh could time this when we are in 'most need' i.e on the edge of missing out on playoffs again when emotionally it could drive a vote to put him in the driving seat.

Darlo_Manc

Post by Darlo_Manc » Wed May 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Dead against having Raj Singh involved with the club again.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Wed May 10, 2017 6:04 pm

The Echo have some comments from David Hodgson -
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... ref=twtrec

Basically he is saying we should accept Singh's money. There is no indication he is also investing or even having a part in the process.....

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Hodgy is no fool and what he says has to be given serious consideration, as he only has the interests of the club at heart.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:41 pm

No man is bigger than the football club. No they aren't but this man tried his level best to destroy the football club when he had the opportunity to save it. That is so different to falling out with George Reynolds and then coming back.

its my club with my investment in it. I am not just going to follow suit because Hodgy says there isn't an alternative.

I really hope this galvanises support and we prove all these doubters wrong.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 10, 2017 9:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Hodgy is no fool and what he says has to be given serious consideration, as he only has the interests of the club at heart.
Does he?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed May 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Hodgy is no fool and what he says has to be given serious consideration, as he only has the interests of the club at heart.
HA HA HA HA HA !

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Lean towards no.

Premise for a potential yes:

1) Full apology for past actions
2) Full, transparent plans for what he wants
3) Guarantee he can never gain full control of the club. The club should never be less than 50% fan owned, for me. So he can invest money and take the glory if it goes well. However, as the fans would have a 50% ownership, they could veto any action that threatened the long term stability of the club.

I think German clubs use a system that could be acceptable? Otherwise, it's a no for me. Other investors yes, him? No. Not without all of the above.