The investment

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

The investment

Post by poppyfield » Fri May 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Nothing to see yet folks, but the club did say we should hear something this week about what the investment will look like, and its Friday. The other thread is up to 10 pages and getting a bit loose, so to concentrate on the proposal use this one please. :thumbup:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Allan Quatermain

Re: The investment

Post by Allan Quatermain » Fri May 05, 2017 6:50 pm

poppyfield wrote:Nothing to see yet folks, but the club did say we should hear something this week about what the investment will look like, and its Friday. The other thread is up to 10 pages and getting a bit loose, so to concentrate on the proposal use this one please. :thumbup:
The statement said "In the coming week", not "this week".
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon May 08, 2017 7:41 am

Allan Quatermain wrote:
poppyfield wrote:Nothing to see yet folks, but the club did say we should hear something this week about what the investment will look like, and its Friday. The other thread is up to 10 pages and getting a bit loose, so to concentrate on the proposal use this one please. :thumbup:
The statement said "In the coming week", not "this week".
So it should be today then :thumbup:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon May 08, 2017 1:58 pm

My email came through last Tuesday evening, so tomorrow is still within the time frame technically. Hope it's today though

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon May 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Don't mind how long we have to wait as long as the name Singh doesn't feature.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon May 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Good luck with that.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon May 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Its a bit weird waiting for this news, as some will say 'at last we are saved' and others will say 'we are doomed'

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon May 08, 2017 9:00 pm

I am of the opinion that we are not doing too bad at the moment considering where we were 5 years ago.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon May 08, 2017 9:03 pm

But would you be happy staying at this level for the foreseeable future

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 08, 2017 9:31 pm

banktopp wrote:Don't mind how long we have to wait as long as the name Singh doesn't feature.
If that happens the world's gone mad!!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Whatever the outcome of the possible investor situation, I really hope we continue to make progress on the field and do not stagnate.Just watching these playoff games is what football is all about and not being involved is strange for us.With all the fundraising in full flow and IF we can obtain better quotes for the stand of under £150k, I just wonder if some of this saving could go towards the £80k for the playing budget and let Martin sort the squad out because this will be some league next season....just a thought.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Mon May 08, 2017 10:19 pm

Every team has to consolidate and even struggle at some point regardless of investment. That's not to say I don't think we can progress but the way some are going on it's as if once we stop progressing we're doomed.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Mon May 08, 2017 10:19 pm

darlo reborn wrote:But would you be happy staying at this level for the foreseeable future
Opposite view is - would you be happy starting over again in 5 years time?

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue May 09, 2017 7:28 am

darlo reborn wrote:But would you be happy staying at this level for the foreseeable future
If it meant being in charge of our own destiny then yes.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue May 09, 2017 7:36 am

I understand the club will be releasing a statement at some point today RE: the investment.
Think before posting

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue May 09, 2017 7:56 am

Magical Quakers wrote:
Darlo would be consigned to the history books if it happened again.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 am

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
Magical Quakers wrote:
Darlo would be consigned to the history books if it happened again.
We wouldn't.

We'd start again in the Northern League, this time actually as a new club, with no legacy debt, and with a grade B ground in Darlo available to rent.

If we ever did go bump then my biggest worry would be if we would learn from it should the same scenario crop up again.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue May 09, 2017 8:10 am

Yes.

We're at a decent level now, and the priority is getting the ground up to scratch because without it we can't go anywhere anyhow.

I also do not follow the doom and gloom scenario that crowds and the club will collapse if Gray walks and if we don't get promoted for a year or two.

Crowds would naturally go down yes, but would still be sufficient for us to easily play at this level IMO.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Tue May 09, 2017 8:15 am

Our fans have got too used to winning, and seem unaware of the fact that this only really happened because private investors repeatedly fooked us over and landed us at a level where a number of promotions were always likely in a short term period.

Did people honestly expect us to get back to the FL within say 7-8 years of 2012? I don't remember such overly optimistic sentiment back then. Where has this chronic impatience come from?

Is stagnation so bad? We were stuck in L2 for 20 sodding years with nothing but a few playoff flirts to entertain us (on the pitch). Instead of stagnating, use words like 'competing without guaranteed success'. There is nothing to say we cannot move onwards without the very first investor that comes along.

MG really has created a culture of fear with his comments at the forum. Everybody should remember that it is only him who has stated how fragile we are without investment, and with respect to him we all know he (rightly) has his own agenda.

I am pro investment, but anti Singh. I am open to what happens but this scaremongering that turning an offer down will lead to a poor team, dwindling crowds, low quality burgers, the return of Anton Kaak and tectonic plates destroying BM is all a bit OTT.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 am

The problem that foreseeable future at this level, could be a minimum of 10 years, especially as more and more clubs at our level are getting significant investment and some are turning professional. Can we expect us to continue to press for promotion without some sort of investment, I doubt it somehow?

Us diehard fans will probably accept that, but our floating support will not, so crowds will tail off, making promotion an even further away dream. When this investment is announced it almost certainly will have Singh behind it, but who is the other person involved? Somebody with a background in football could make it an interesting proposition and any proposed investment shouldn't be rejected out of hand.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Tue May 09, 2017 8:32 am

It could also take 3 or 4 years, who knows. The floating fans disappeared after the Nuneaton game but there will always be a few attractive fixtures every season that will pull in bigger crowds and next season against Blyth, Spennymoor, York, Salford, FCUM will do exactly that. We've rarely ever been able to attract more than our hardcore, even in the last 5 successful seasons we've not hit 2,000 apart from one-off games. I could understand the rationale if we were averaging 2,500 at the moment but 1,500 - 1,700 really is our hardcore and always has been, even in the league days. Develop BM, make it a better viewing experience, stabilusevthe club so it's not lurching from season to season needing cash injections to stay afloat (I much prefer the idea of boosting budget upfront) and grow the business sustainably

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Tue May 09, 2017 8:40 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:The problem that foreseeable future at this level, could be a minimum of 10 years, especially as more and more clubs at our level are getting significant investment and some are turning professional. Can we expect us to continue to press for promotion without some sort of investment, I doubt it somehow?
I see this as the type of scaremongering that has quickly become the consensus. You might be right, but you have no evidence for it, so therefore to use it to argue that investment right now is essential is flawed. Where have you got 10 years from?

A fair few are also using the angle that next season is going to be particularly competitive because of the teams that we will be competing with. Again, they may be correct, they may not. But to be willing to immediately drop our existing model because next season looks tricky on paper seems rather short-termist.

And I am trying to get over my 100% automatic rejection of anything Singh related, but he is a proven lying b****** and I am struggling to see past that :D

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue May 09, 2017 8:52 am

The devil will be in the 'detail' of any investment/takeover so when we get the nature of the investment/takeover all you out there who have an eye for this sort of thing need to get your microscopes out and scrutinise it like nothing has been scrutinised before. I am sure the club will be doing the same, but lets make sure we flag up 'all' our concerns.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 am

If RS is indeed the investor, no way will the shareholding be anywhere close to the Arena days so let's just wait and see as we are a totally different club to what we were in 2012.Even if Raj was involved we have to see what his proposals are and how much control the DFCSG holds.This could be beneficial to our club so we need to look at any proposals before writing off anything he is putting forward.Not long before we find out so will be a very interesting day.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 09, 2017 9:13 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:If RS is indeed the investor, no way will the shareholding be anywhere close to the Arena days so let's just wait and see as we are a totally different club to what we were in 2012.Even if Raj was involved we have to see what his proposals are and how much control the DFCSG holds.This could be beneficial to our club so we need to look at any proposals before writing off anything he is putting forward.Not long before we find out so will be a very interesting day.

Well put. I don't think people should right off the proposed investment, before the details are known and who is involved with Singh. As you say an interesting days lays ahead.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:22 am

I'm having a hard time containing my excitement. Not much work will be getting done today. :lol:

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue May 09, 2017 9:54 am

Well I'm still giving them till midnight on Sunday night.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue May 09, 2017 10:00 am

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 am

I can't fathom for the life of me why people are even considering a RS proposal!!!

Once he realised that there was no gains to be made, he walked away with no concern for any future the club might have. And then went out of his way, and against his own word to ensure we nearly died. The man literally stole our name away from us. He can't be trusted. He doesn't even deserve to be spoken to.

I can't believe people are even thinking of getting back into bed with him. Are you for f***ing real???

ambiente

Post by ambiente » Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 am

dickdarlington wrote:I can't fathom for the life of me why people are even considering a RS proposal!!!

Once he realised that there was no gains to be made, he walked away with no concern for any future the club might have. And then went out of his way, and against his own word to ensure we nearly died. The man literally stole our name away from us. He can't be trusted. He doesn't even deserve to be spoken to.

I can't believe people are even thinking of getting back into bed with him. Are you for f***ing real???
Agree totally, can't believe people would entertain this guy