Potential new investors

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TDS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new investors

Post by TDS » Fri May 05, 2017 11:57 am

Spyman wrote:
Undercovered wrote:The problem is that the playing budget has always been £50K higher than it should have been since day 1. If it had been set correctly and gradually increased there would have been no need to now get it under control with a fairly decent chunk taken off. I'd imagine that when all said and done it'll be more like a £40-50K reduction than £80K - I'm sure we'll not turn into whipping boys as a result. We've often had a bench full of talent - we might just need to re-align to having some younger, cheaper lads on the bench like Saunders who can be developed
Spot on. Like I said on the WOW thread last night, the manager shouldn't dictate the playing budget. If Gray wants to prove himself then he should work within the budget set and blood youngsters into the team rather than rely on spending beyond what the club can afford.
Exactly right, yes we can trust MG, but can he trust the people involved, I'm not sure he can say he can 100%. You can make your arguments about the failings as a fan owned club in terms of board members having the necessary skills, but you cannot run the club in an unsustainable manner for 5 years and then claim being fan owned doesn't work. We've paid historic debt, we've funded developments at HP & BM and funded a fucking great set of lads on the pitch. There's miles in this tank yet but it wont be easy.

MG wants what's best for MG = money. If we were to take a 50k hit to the budget we'd lose 3-4 top players/staff in my opinion. Not enough to drop like a stone as people are suggesting.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat May 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Must be some kind of record this thread, 271 posts and not one of them concrete. ;-)

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

If they were we could build a stand with them

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat May 06, 2017 5:12 pm

Spyman wrote:
Undercovered wrote:The problem is that the playing budget has always been £50K higher than it should have been since day 1. If it had been set correctly and gradually increased there would have been no need to now get it under control with a fairly decent chunk taken off. I'd imagine that when all said and done it'll be more like a £40-50K reduction than £80K - I'm sure we'll not turn into whipping boys as a result. We've often had a bench full of talent - we might just need to re-align to having some younger, cheaper lads on the bench like Saunders who can be developed
Spot on. Like I said on the WOW thread last night, the manager shouldn't dictate the playing budget. If Gray wants to prove himself then he should work within the budget set and blood youngsters into the team rather than rely on spending beyond what the club can afford.
Yeap. More homegrown and ergo cheaper players on the bench. And no more signing forwards for cash....when we appear to have decent ones at the club....and then ending up not playing said strikers who then leave. MG needs to show he has skills in developing / fixing with players he has rather than going out and replacing with other players

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat May 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote: And no more signing forwards for cash....when we appear to have decent ones at the club....and then ending up not playing said strikers who then leave. MG needs to show he has skills in developing / fixing with players he has rather than going out and replacing with other players
Signing players for money has boiled my piss each and every time. It shows a disconnect from the reality of our situation. MG should look at this as an opportunity to blood youngsters, get a reputation both for himself and his academy as where young footballer develop into tomorrow's Pros and live off that for the remainder of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat May 06, 2017 7:17 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote: And no more signing forwards for cash....when we appear to have decent ones at the club....and then ending up not playing said strikers who then leave. MG needs to show he has skills in developing / fixing with players he has rather than going out and replacing with other players
Signing players for money has boiled my piss each and every time. It shows a disconnect from the reality of our situation. MG should look at this as an opportunity to blood youngsters, get a reputation both for himself and his academy as where young footballer develop into tomorrow's Pros and live off that for the remainder of his career.

Galbraith? Thompson?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat May 06, 2017 11:12 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:

Totally agree. Unfortunately he seems to want an easy ride at our expense.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun May 07, 2017 10:04 am

Spyman wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:

It's human nature to want an easy ride, just look at the number of people on here and fb declaring unconditional backing to an unknown investor with an unknown deal. The board need to hold firm, security comes first. If MG doesn't like it then he can walk, if he spits his dummy out and does another public speech which damages the club, like he did at the fans forum, he should be sacked.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun May 07, 2017 10:05 am

Spyman wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:

Yep, 2 examples of players we couldn't afford at the time and if we had patience we could have picked up for free when their contracts ran out.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun May 07, 2017 11:27 am

liddle_4_ever wrote: Yep, 2 examples of players we couldn't afford at the time and if we had patience we could have picked up for free when their contracts ran out.

Could we have afforded not to sign these players? Just say we didn't bother with either, chances are we wouldn't have won the northern league at the first attempt then who knows what would have happened.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:06 pm

Spyman wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:

Rubbish.

Anyone claiming that MG is after a easy-ride is well, well off the mark. If he wanted an easy ride he wouldn't have put the level of commitment in that he has over the past 5 years.

The idea that it's as easy and blooding a few youngsters to build up a reputation for MG and his Academy is also delusional.

MG has also continuously worked within his budget during his time here. We have over-spent on a number of occasions which have been covered by a cash-call, as far as I am aware this is at the discretion of the Board and not MG.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun May 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:

Rubbish.

Anyone claiming that MG is after a easy-ride is well, well off the mark. If he wanted an easy ride he wouldn't have put the level of commitment in that he has over the past 5 years.

The idea that it's as easy and blooding a few youngsters to build up a reputation for MG and his Academy is also delusional.

MG has also continuously worked within his budget during his time here. We have over-spent on a number of occasions which have been covered by a cash-call, as far as I am aware this is at the discretion of the Board and not MG.
I'm not saying it's easy to just blood youngsters, but the best managers find a way to work within financial constraints, not dictate the budget they need and then work within that, whether or not the club can afford it.

It's all very well saying Gray has never spent beyond the budget he's been given, but by the sounds of it he dictates what that budget 'needs' to be, so why would he go over it?

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun May 07, 2017 12:26 pm

loan_star wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote: Yep, 2 examples of players we couldn't afford at the time and if we had patience we could have picked up for free when their contracts ran out.

Could we have afforded not to sign these players? Just say we didn't bother with either, chances are we wouldn't have won the northern league at the first attempt then who knows what would have happened.

loan star 1 :clap:

little_4_ever nil :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun May 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Come on, we pissed all over the Northern League and won it by a mile. I'm sure we could've won it by spending less than we did.

Were Thompson and Galbraith 20 odd points better than the alternatives? We had plenty of other players who were way better than that league.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun May 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Spyman wrote:Come on, we pissed all over the Northern League and won it by a mile. I'm sure we could've won it by spending less than we did.

Were Thompson and Galbraith 20 odd points better than the alternatives? We had plenty of other players who were way better than that league.

How many assists and goals did Thompson in particular contribute? I'm sure a statto out there will probably know but I think you would be surprised at just how much of a difference Thompson made. Worth every penny IMO
Last edited by loan_star on Sun May 07, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun May 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Thompson and Galbraith are still with us now - that in itself shows how successful their signings were.

Anyway, if we hadn't of moved in, I'm sure another club would have.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:28 pm

loan_star wrote:
Spyman wrote:Come on, we pissed all over the Northern League and won it by a mile. I'm sure we could've won it by spending less than we did.

How many assists and goals did Thompson in particular contribute? I'm sure a statto out there will probably know but I think you would be surprised at just how much of a difference Thompson made. Worth every penny IMO
Thompson came in and scored 19 in 38, unsure on his assists but I'm pretty sure it was 15+.

Galbraith also came in and scored 10 in 21.

So both players contributed pretty significantly, and are still with us 5 years later. Money well spent? I think so.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Spyman wrote:I'm not saying it's easy to just blood youngsters, but the best managers find a way to work within financial constraints, not dictate the budget they need and then work within that, whether or not the club can afford it.

It's all very well saying Gray has never spent beyond the budget he's been given, but by the sounds of it he dictates what that budget 'needs' to be, so why would he go over it?

MG, summer after summer, has been given a budget to work with by the Board and he has continuously worked within this budget.

It's all well and good saying it "sounds like" MG dictates the budget. He's given a budget in the summer to work with, and maximises that to show a strong performance on the pitch. Where that funding comes from for the budget is decided by the Board.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun May 07, 2017 6:06 pm

Ok so nobody is denying both were good signings. What I'm questioning is would we have got out of the Northern League without them? I believe we would.

Again you're blindly repeating that Gray works within his budget, which I've never denied. However his latest outburst indicates that he wants to set the budget rather than work within what we can afford.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Spyman wrote:Ok so nobody is denying both were good signings. What I'm questioning is would we have got out of the Northern League without them? I believe we would.

Again you're blindly repeating that Gray works within his budget, which I've never denied. However his latest outburst indicates that he wants to set the budget rather than work within what we can afford.

Without Galbraith and Thompson we wouldn't have got out of the NL at first attempt.

However as most things in football that is just my opinion and no one can prove either way. Looking at the Spennymoor game Galbraith scored the equaliser and Thompson was excellent especially setting up the 3rd goal, obviously nothing says something different wouldn't have happened if we didn't sign them

In regards to Gray he is a manager and all managers will want a bigger budget, he has taken it a step further by trying to get outside investment and also handed the threat he will leave somewhere down the line if his budget is cut.

For me, we will try and increase MG budget because we want to do well but if the investor proposal isn't acceptable and MG wants to leave then so be it. I would rather he didn't but if he is not happy with what we can provide then he may well be better off somewhere else.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun May 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
loan_star wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:Any investor will bring an unsustainable (ultimately) hike in investment, i.e., not covered by income. This may be in a couple of years or much longer, but these investors will eventually run out. The crash for the club will be much more substantial and possibly terminal as I can't see volunteers (from top to bottom) taking up the reins again at whatever level. Fans-run club will also find its own level. Difficult choice to come
An investors money has the potential to get us to a level where its easier to be self sustaining, more league and TV money and what should be higher attendances.
Yes the cash may run out eventually but how long can we rely on volunteers bucket rattling too? We are already short of volunteer directors, we can't go on like we are currently either.
The big problem long term is getting to League 2 and being self-sustainable, then dropping back into the Conference. This is the big weakness in the FL structure and is a financial black hole.
Let's say you need a budget of 400k to be competitive in the NLN. If it weren't for the 5 year Season tickets then we could sustain that budget. MG said then you need a budget on 1 million in the NL. If you go up to League 2, then MG said the budget is 1.4 million, but you get 1 million tv money, so a budget of 400k in real terms, which we could sustain. Once you drop back down to the NL, then immediately there is a shortfall of 600k to plug. Economically, it's ridiculous. The National League system is an anachronism and was supposed to be a part time league, but as we know the landscape has changed, and is just not favourable to community and fan-owned clubs which non-league should be. I'm sure this is why it's littered with ex-League teams. The FA need to sort this out and filter down more money, let's say half a million, which would then just give a shortfall of 100k. 600k is just ridiculous.
Interesting quote from the Hartlepool acting chairperson
"Clubs that suffer relegation will lose a large proportion of the Premier League solidarity payments (approximately £350,000pa after National League payments). Clubs will continue to receive EFL payments for 12 months after relegation, which then drop to 50% in the second year, should they not achieve promotion in the first year. I know that it would be my responsibility to find ways to make up this loss with sponsorship and support from the business community and the initial response this week makes me feel confident it could be achieved at this Club.
"
Think before posting

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun May 14, 2017 4:14 pm

TDS wrote:In an effort to try and link Singh to the Club/Location, could this be his main interest?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/business ... e-12519329

4.25 acres of land, housing/development opportunity? Possibly look to improve the whole area and fund the club into a profitable position then look to sell on?

Either way, it is clear any proposals worth accepting are a month or two away, and we've got a football club to be responsible for, so I'd suggest we get investing as Singh is the guy we are looking at.

I had Sunday lunch at the hotel today (very good) and discovered that it has just been sold to an Irish consortium who are keeping the hotel open as usual.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!