Appeal

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Appeal

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:The rules allow the 6th or 7th place team to compete in the play-offs should any of the teams in the play-off positions not be allowed to participate.
In NLS that may be be necessary given Hungerford & Poole are non compliant

JABWootton

Post by JABWootton » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Understand all this talk of the appeal and how the rules may or may not affect the team, but aren't we missing one basic fact?

We haven't made the play-offs yet?? :think:
(Don't want to sound like a defeatist but cant we make the Play-Offs first then think about what will or wont be)

We could lose the last 2 games and finish 6th :silent:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:03 am

Wealdstone are the 4th team to be caught up in this 500 seats/playoff saga.

A quick look on their fans forum (stones net.forum) finds a ten page thread entitled "playoff dream" which started on 8th March.

It is full of misunderstandings,gossip,clandestine plans and dodgy info re Poole, Hungerford and themselves.

It seems that in the Conference South, the FA rules have started a kind of playoff of stadiums situation between 3 teams. Wealdstone possibly trying the Shaun Cambell approach of banging in the seats pronto!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

liamsears

Post by liamsears » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:36 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Wealdstone are the 4th team to be caught up in this 500 seats/playoff saga.

A quick look on their fans forum (stones net.forum) finds a ten page thread entitled "playoff dream" which started on 8th March.

It is full of misunderstandings,gossip,clandestine plans and dodgy info re Poole, Hungerford and themselves.

It seems that in the Conference South, the FA rules have started a kind of playoff of stadiums situation between 3 teams. Wealdstone possibly trying the Shaun Cambell approach of banging in the seats pronto!
But after yesterday it is Poole or Hungerford for the last play off position with Hampton & Richmond waiting to take their place. Whether the appeals are successful or not, Wealdstone won't be in the play-offs

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:46 am

Wealdstone may feel they could pass ground grading whilst the others fail - and of course there is one game left. So it could still be possible for them.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:50 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Wealdstone are the 4th team to be caught up in this 500 seats/playoff saga.

I wonder how realistic the Shaun Campbell approach was ever likely to be? Was he going to come in at the last minute and save the day again? Of course, it begs the question that if the board had revealed their predicament back in February when they first knew, it might have enabled someone to come forward as a saviour. Could it be done in 7 days? Logistically I'm not sure it was possible.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Yarblockos wrote: it begs the question that if the board had revealed their predicament back in February when they first knew, it might have enabled someone to come forward as a saviour.
There's no doubt that the board found themselves in a very tricky position. We all have differing views but personally I would have preferred the board to have to have done just that.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:22 pm

Got Brain fog when is the Appeal being considered by the FA?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:47 pm

I believe it will be heard on Wednesday.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I believe it will be heard on Wednesday.
The Non League Paper said "this week."
Timing is interesting as if we are excluded, as I suspect we will be, Chorley & Stockport could argue we have nothing to play for on Saturday so Salford have an unfair advantage? I still expect us to put in a performance and deny them a place should still be a cracking game either way!

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:11 pm

I wonder how realistic the Shaun Campbell approach was ever likely to be? Was he going to come in at the last minute and save the day again? Of course, it begs the question that if the board had revealed their predicament back in February when they first knew, it might have enabled someone to come forward as a saviour. Could it be done in 7 days? Logistically I'm not sure it was possible.
I thought the seats had to be in place 31st March.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
I thought the seats had to be in place 31st March.
They did!! S.C. wanted to go for it, and get them in anyway, to call the F.A's bluff!

Audacious...
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 am

Looks like the appeal hearing will be today at 1.30pm

http://www.pooletownfc.co.uk/playoff-appeal-update/

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:55 am

At least in the South Division, either Poole or Hungerford will definitely be in a playoff spot, so the FA can't hope that none of us will make a playoff spot at the end of the season. Good to know that a decision will be made today, so everybody will know what will happen before the final game of the season.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:They did!! S.C. wanted to go for it, and get them in anyway, to call the F.A's bluff!

Audacious...
See I could see this working if it wasn't the temporary seats.

If between 31st March and appeal day you built a permanent structure it would be interesting as the rule is clearly there to mean you are ready from day 1 of a potential national league season...well you are.

It does bring into question what relevant the 31st March has - it should really be by final game of normal league season.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:14 am

Is it a good omen that last time we appeared at Wembley we won?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:22 am

lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:They did!! S.C. wanted to go for it, and get them in anyway, to call the F.A's bluff!

Audacious...

If between 31st March and appeal day you built a permanent structure it would be interesting as the rule is clearly there to mean you are ready from day 1 of a potential national league season...well you are.

It does bring into question what relevant the 31st March has - it should really be by final game of normal league season.

Presumably 31st March is date so that issues can be sorted out before play offs etc start.

What would happen if date of last game had been used? Then Darlington and the others appeal...play offs would have to be postponed...fixtures could not be compiled...league AGMs could not be held and clubs would not know which divisions they would be in next season. Remember the FA move some clubs according to league boundaries...imagine for example Rushden compiling a squad to play in NPL 1 South and picking players based North of Rushden and then finding they are instead in the Southern League and having to travel to south coast with players based as far north as say Sheffield

31 March date applies at all levels of the pyramid

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:42 am

bga wrote:Is it a good omen that last time we appeared at Wembley we won?
Last time at Wembley we were told relegation to the NL and a name change was compulsory.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:47 am

loan_star wrote:
bga wrote:Is it a good omen that last time we appeared at Wembley we won?
Last time at Wembley we were told relegation to the NL and a name change was compulsory.

Last time surely Darlo got rid of the numbers "1883"? - that must be a win

bigrichiet

Post by bigrichiet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 pm

lifted from that Poole Town link:

"The FA will hold the hearing at Wembley, and has been scheduled for 1:30pm on Wednesday the 26th of April. Vice-Chairman Chris Reeves will be representing the club.

The hearing will be held before an independent appeal board. All three appeals (Poole Town, Darlington, and Hungerford) will be heard together in one consolidated hearing.

The club expect a decision to be made on the day, meaning there should be no delay to the current Playoff schedule."

Do we know who's gone down to represent us? I'd assume John Tempest...?

darlo2k

Post by darlo2k » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:09 pm

FA don't seem to be in a good mood today, Joey Barton's just received an 18 month ban:
http://www.thefa.com/home/news/2017/apr ... ned-260417

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:An alternative view. We've all blamed ourselves (i.e. the club) for unawareness of a significant rule change last year which went unnoticed.
Any appeal should take in to account how this change was communicated. It can't have been well promoted because it didn't appear on the radar till now. Those in charge of the game don't have a good track record of organising it; witness the well documented shambles from the very top.
If it's true that the top team in our league are given a year's extension to get their ground sorted, why?
If for health & safety reasons, then what's good for them should be good for the other promoted side too.
Furthermore I disagree that "driving along in third gear" is better than being promoted now. I respect the opinions of those who disagree but this concept makes the assumption that promotion is a given next season. It isn't, and I'd rather peddle within the lower reaches of the National League rather than go through it all again to get there.
Another way: would you rather pass your driving test now or take more lessons and have a crack at it next year?
To deny the players' achievements is to fail to acknowledge the lung bursting efforts they have given since August, and to waste a year of their short careers.
Finally I wouldn't have liked to be the one who gave the news to MG that his efforts weren't counting this season. Or to the players, then us. There must have been disbelief at every level, and quite a few sleepless night's I'd hazard.
Who knows what new stupidities will be devised for promotions in coming seasons, so best get promoted and then try to improve the facilities.

Next season we will have the benefits of playing all our home games at Darlo with increased income from crowds, shop, 50:50, advertising, sponsorships & a split of DRFC takings.

Like most non-league outfits we need some cup runs and lucrative friendlies to rake in more income. The club has suffered the last 4 seasons without a decent cup run, so time now for some re-prioritisation.

I'm not saying this extra income is going to be enough for the impatient dreamers, but it's better than giving 100% of the club back to a series of unknown future owners.

Remember Tait, Brierly, Reynolds, Peden, Singh?

bga

Post by bga » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:09 pm

darlo2k wrote:FA don't seem to be in a good mood today, Joey Barton's just received an 18 month ban:
http://www.thefa.com/home/news/2017/apr ... ned-260417
Wonder if he managed to place a bet on the outcome of our Appeal before he was banned?
Also could he not have put forward a convincing argument that despite the fact he has been a professional footballer all those years, he did not know the rule existed?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:17 pm

spen666 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Audacious...

Presumably 31st March is date so that issues can be sorted out before play offs etc start.

What would happen if date of last game had been used? Then Darlington and the others appeal...play offs would have to be postponed...fixtures could not be compiled...league AGMs could not be held and clubs would not know which divisions they would be in next season. Remember the FA move some clubs according to league boundaries...imagine for example Rushden compiling a squad to play in NPL 1 South and picking players based North of Rushden and then finding they are instead in the Southern League and having to travel to south coast with players based as far north as say Sheffield

31 March date applies at all levels of the pyramid
Yes, but isn't it only at THIS level that they ask clubs to speculate on reaching the playoffs by spending money doing all the upgrades by March of that same season, and at all other levels clubs are given until March of the following season?

It's not like you can install a new stand on a sale or return basis if you don't make the play-offs and get promoted.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:35 pm

GQ upon first hearing we were not eligible for promotion: bollocks, but that is absolutely the correct decision

GQ upon seeing our appeal: that'll never win, and nor should it

GQ this morning: We will 100% not win this appeal, I'd almost be irritated if we did it would be so unjust

GQ 1 hour 4 minutes after hearing has started: Come on FA you bastards, we deserve this!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:49 pm

They have probably fallen asleep listening to the same thing three times

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:50 pm

darlo reborn wrote:They have probably fallen asleep listening to the same thing three times
The three appeals were consolidated i.e. heard together.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm

probably still fall asleep as no doubt the FA representatives will be pink gin quaffing 80 year olds irritated at having to miss their usual afternoon slumber...

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm

My take was that it was heard today, with a final decision tomorrow.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:25 pm