AFC Fylde V Darlington FC match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

feethamslad
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: AFC Fylde V Darlington FC match thread

Post by feethamslad » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Outplayed, outclassed, beer thrown over us from abusive foul mouthed drunk so called Darlington supporters.

Not happy!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:54 pm

That was an absolute disgrace.Not the football,well beaten by a much better team than us ,but the fucking morons that have attached themselves to this club.They have zero interest in anything other than getting pissed out of their heads and causing havoc.There have been some ugly scenes over the last few years with these dickheads but today they surpassed themselves.Well done Fylde for keeping them tanked up all afternoon by the way,they are not without blame here.
Salford,you have been warned.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:34 pm

Well, where to start? We were beaten by a better team. Met some great lads in the pub and then some friends in the ground. The good atmosphere deteriorated and after a few of us especially a brave young woman calmed things down things got out of hand a second time and there was no calming the situation. In all my years watching Darlington away this was probably the worst. Congratulations to Fylde for selling ale, you should be proud of yourselves. Very disappointed.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:22 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Saunders comes on for Cartman.
I doubt it Cartman didn't start and didn't come on...Image

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:The ref was shocking giving nothing to Darlo and giving handball which looked like chest from Burgess although I think the not offside call was right.
Was he actually shocking - cos he isn't mentioned in any match reports, and twitter feeds as even really being noticeable during the game - the penalty was unfortunate but not disputable. In fact understand MG said to him after game he had no complaints at all.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:08 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlobaz79 wrote:The ref was shocking giving nothing to Darlo and giving handball which looked like chest from Burgess although I think the not offside call was right.
Was he actually shocking - cos he isn't mentioned in any match reports, and twitter feeds as even really being noticeable during the game - the penalty was unfortunate but not disputable. In fact understand MG said to him after game he had no complaints at all.
It was definitely handball and the ref was absolutely fine today.

We had the usual embarrassing screeching from our supporters every time we didn't get a decision. The idea the ref gave nothing to Darlington is also utter bollocks.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:17 pm

The Lino flagged offside so the pen and sending off should not of counted

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Referee was fine, no issues with him whatsoever.No complaints about the defeat, the best team we have played this season without doubt and very worthy champions which they will be.We have to move on from this and win our 3 remaining home games which leaves Alfreton and you know who away.12 points will get us in the playoffs, a tough ask but we can do it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:28 pm

There was controversy over the red card because the linesman was flagging for offside for ages in the build up before the handball incident happened. Apparently the referee said he over ruled it because the ball had come off a Darlo player when the linesman flagged so it wasn't offside. Can't really argue with that. It is what it is. We were well beaten by the better side. Didn't understand what Gray was trying to do today though. Over thought it because of the opponents, messed around way too much and we got panned for it. Plenty of graft as always, just ran into a good team on a good day while we were having a bad one.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:40 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:The Lino flagged offside so the pen and sending off should not of counted
As Breedon has stated, that had already been overruled by the ref.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:02 pm

To be honest we haven't played well the last 5/6 games yes we won some but not played any where near like we can do and we got found out by a team who can punish you... Tommo went missing today not really at the races.. But they will win the league and rightly so as they attack very well and we could not cope with pace... I feel we are not just there regards playoffs but hopefully I will be proved wrong..

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 pm

I reckon the win on Weds evening took it out of our players a bit, not forgetting that Fylde are a full time team with plenty of fire power.

Their fanbase seems a little small and nondescript - I wonder.... when they become a league team, will the interest be there?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:27 am

Poor performance all round.Keeper excluded.

Team selection and subs were baffling but got to trust MG I suppose.Their No 11(I think) was excellent,ran midfield.

Still think we can make the play offs.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:45 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I reckon the win on Weds evening took it out of our players a bit, not forgetting that Fylde are a full time team with plenty of fire power.
I also thought we looked a little leggy but we also gave the ball away a lot. To be honest fylde were a class above. They switched play really well but thankfully Bartlett was inspired We had a decent spell just after the break but they managed our aerial threat well. First 30 and last 30 they battered us.

SFG

Post by SFG » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:55 am

Darlogramps wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:The Lino flagged offside so the pen and sending off should not of counted
As Breedon has stated, that had already been overruled by the ref.
An assistant referee should lower his flag immediately the ref indicates a "play on". The assistant referee was still flagging when the shot, which was handled, went towards the goal. Poor officiating but made no difference to the result.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:28 am

To be honest I thought the way we set-up yesterday was disappointing with again, zero width, with Ferguson & Thompson playing off Beck who was managed very well by Fylde who simply sat Bohan Dixon in front of him with a centre half behind in the same way Bradford Park Avenue did with Nowakowski.

When we did win the second ball, the centre midfielders were looking to switch the play, but to who? Marrs & Galbraith were marked by their wingers, and we didn't have anyone out wide to stretch them in the way that they did to us.

MG got it spot on when we played them at home. A 4-5-1 with 2 wingers out wide and Syers playing off Beck. We are so narrow at times it is depressing to watch the predicitable diag being played by a centre half in hope we will win the second ball on the edge of the box. We only ever looked like scoring from that or a set-piece yesterday.

At the moment we are playing very, very direct. At home I can understand because of the awful pitch. But we have some very good technical players like Galbraith, Ferguson, Thompson, Turnbull, Gillies etc that can do more.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:13 am

Darlofan97 wrote:To be honest I thought the way we set-up yesterday was disappointing with again, zero width, with Ferguson & Thompson playing off Beck who was managed very well by Fylde who simply sat Bohan Dixon in front of him with a centre half behind in the same way Bradford Park Avenue did with Nowakowski.

When we did win the second ball, the centre midfielders were looking to switch the play, but to who? Marrs & Galbraith were marked by their wingers, and we didn't have anyone out wide to stretch them in the way that they did to us.

MG got it spot on when we played them at home. A 4-5-1 with 2 wingers out wide and Syers playing off Beck. We are so narrow at times it is depressing to watch the predicitable diag being played by a centre half in hope we will win the second ball on the edge of the box. We only ever looked like scoring from that or a set-piece yesterday.

At the moment we are playing very, very direct. At home I can understand because of the awful pitch. But we have some very good technical players like Galbraith, Ferguson, Thompson, Turnbull, Gillies etc that can do more.
Spot on.

Teams must be amazed at how naive we are when all we do is punt long balls up front in the hope that we can get a flick on. We are now playing in a league when we need to be more creative and that.

Football is actually quite a simple game. If you keep possession you have a better chance of scoring a goal than if you give the ball away.

Our hit and hope football simply gives the ball back to our opponents. All the more frustrating when we have skilful wide players in Gillies, Thommo etc who can run at opposition defenders on the flank.

We are not creative enough to make the play offs.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:10 am

Think we overstate how bad the pitch at home is as well. BPA had spells were they knocked the ball around for 15/20 passes okay, as have other visitors. We hit it long because that is how we are set up. Gray seems to have discarded width recently. We've played very little prolonged good football since Harrogate away.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:20 am

Darlofan97 wrote: We are so narrow at times it is depressing to watch the predicitable diag being played by a centre half in hope we will win the second ball on the edge of the box. We only ever looked like scoring from that or a set-piece yesterday.

Agree with this.

Fylde showed us how to put together a rapid, imaginative attack.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:58 am

Darlofan97 wrote:To be honest I thought the way we set-up yesterday was disappointing with again, zero width, with Ferguson & Thompson playing off Beck who was managed very well by Fylde who simply sat Bohan Dixon in front of him with a centre half behind in the same way Bradford Park Avenue did with Nowakowski.

Very fair assessment.

What struck me yesterday as well was how little pace we seemed to have going forward.

Every attack seemed to be slow and ponderous, ending in a long ball where we missed the 2nd ball, or Beck was out-muscled.

As you rightly say, we only looked dangerous from set pieces.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:09 pm

We've very little pace anywhere on the pitch, that much has been evident all season.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:54 pm

I see MG is admitting he got the tactics and personnel all wrong. He mostly gets such things right but yesterday the line-up and the way we were set up left us looking unbalanced and disjointed. Ferguson's exact role was unfathomable and we looked vulnerable at the back and completely lost offensively. A bad day at the office all round although Bartlett was excellent and the way he took the ball off Rowe when he looked a certain scorer in the first half was superb.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:00 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I see MG is admitting he got the tactics and personnel all wrong. He mostly gets such things right but yesterday the line-up and the way we were set up left us looking unbalanced and disjointed. Ferguson's exact role was unfathomable and we looked vulnerable at the back and completely lost offensively. A bad day at the office all round although Bartlett was excellent and the way he took the ball off Rowe when he looked a certain scorer in the first half was superb.
Bartlett was indeed the star man yesterday. Yet you will get some idiots who didn't go yesterday, looking at the goals against column and say he must have been crap.
Fylde got the luck of the bounce a few times in key areas and it told, plus the ref seemed to let them get away with quite a lot earlier on. To be fair we got more our way second half from the ref.
I didn't think we played that badly apart from the final third where we seemed to lack any ideas. Fylde were very good though and we would have had to be firing on all cylinders to have got anything from that.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:12 pm

MG clearly was worried about Fylde's attacking threat (and justifiably - it was terrifying when they were in full flow), but the way we set up nullified us as an attacking threat (which is our strength) other than set pieces. Probably comes from the fact we've struggled defensively most of this season. In trying to sort that out, we've lost some of our attacking potency, despite results being good recently.

We're not far off though, and based on yesterdays performance, we've found a quality keeper.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:15 am

al_quaker wrote:MG clearly was worried about Fylde's attacking threat (and justifiably - it was terrifying when they were in full flow), but the way we set up nullified us as an attacking threat (which is our strength) other than set pieces. Probably comes from the fact we've struggled defensively most of this season. In trying to sort that out, we've lost some of our attacking potency, despite results being good recently.

We're not far off though, and based on yesterdays performance, we've found a quality keeper.
God Bartlett got absolutely slated after the Gainsborough game and now look at him concedes 4 and he's a hero... No seriously I stuck up for him after Gainsborough game and will in the future as I think he is a great addition to the squad it could of been 3 or 4 before HT if not for him....

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:25 am

He looks a very good keeper IMO based on the last 2 games .Could not have done anything with their 4 goals, just a pity we never scored after half time when we were on top, could have been a totally different game but we move on, 4 really winnable games left before Salford and still got a great chance of the playoffs but worried about the ban on Burgess, hope its not a 3 game one.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk