Gainsborough Trinity V Darlington FC Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Radar
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gainsborough Trinity V Darlington FC Match Thread

Post by Radar » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Emdubya wrote:Gray says in his post match interview that"long term he is the keeper for us",despite blaming him for all three goals.Guess that gives Ed a clue to his future.
He won't be the long term keeper for us if he keeps performing like today. Stubborn comment from MG, backing himself in making the decision he did with the keepers. Hopefully AB confidence isn't shot to pieces for Wednesdays game.

micra3

Post by micra3 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:Just back from the game and is definitely a point gained. I thought this game wasn't going to easy as although G'boro haven't won recently their performances by all accounts have improved drastically. In saying that each of their goals were down to bad errors. On the positive side, I thought today was the most football we had played for quite some time (or at least games I have been to). The final ball on most occasions was simply to poor. Another great positive was Wearmouth, thought he and Gillies changed the game in our favour today. My ratings are
Bartlett - 4 Made a couple of catches early on and I thought I could see why we signed him, 3 clangers later and you have got to wonder about dropping Ed
Marrs - 6 Solid enough but I am yet to see him put in a quality ball in the final third
Galbraith - 6 Aside from the mix up for goal 2, he was solid and his corners were on the whole high quality
Hunter - 7 Solid defensive display
Thompson - 5 Got into a lot of good positions but didn't deliver any decent crosses
Cartman - 5 I really like Nathan but this is just not his position
Sayers 6 - Looked knackered very early on but you have to give him credit for being in the right place at the right time
Falkingham 7 - Worked hard, looked after the ball and you can see why he has been given MOTM awards
Turnbull 6 - Thought he was going to be dominating the game after the first 20 but passing went awry unusually for him
Beck 8* - Despite being wrestled with every time the ball came to him, he held it up well, won almost every header and proved a vital outlet

Gillies 7 - Looked more like the Gillies that started the season
Wearmouth 7 - A very respectable start
Saunders 6 - Not involved too much

Ref 4 - I just don't get how there was not a pen awarded for the numerous fouls on Beck nor how we allowed G'boro to take so long over everything!

All in all, big call for MG on Wed now in terms of goalie and also Gillies and Wearmouth for Thommo and Cartman.

The dream is still alive
You missed Ferguson who I thought had a good game
M I C R A 3

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Whoops yes
Ferguson 7 - Solid, always available and unlike Marrs had a good final ball

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:23 pm

Henley wrote:Granted, I've only seen one game this season (last Saturday) but Ed looked a very solid keeper so I'm surprised at him being dropped. Could there be more to it?
Possibly. Or....at the end of the day MG has to consider factors we're not party to and has made a decision.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:31 pm

Gray has belief or stubbornness (depends on your view) in his decisions and Bartlett will be in goal on Wednesday.

I think Brown & possibly Burgess will be back as well.

Wearmouth seemed to cause danger every time he got the ball, be god to see a lot more of him soon, his strength and height whilst still being a winger is different to what we have had this season.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDgNjr4SIoI

Their manager's view of the game, moaning about 6 minutes added on when they took so long over every goalkick and freekick seems to be just desserts!

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Can see why Falkingham got most people's mom. He's playing very well at the moment.

Wearmouth looked useful.
I feel for cartman.
Thommo had A stinker.

Bartlett had a mare. We know. Ed was doing alright but has he really had anything to do so far? Give Bartlett a chance. He'll come good.

And now for syers. I'm sorry but I don't see it. Yes he scored two. In a game where we didn't deserve anything. But he was utter garbage today. And I've not seen him do anything other than scores goals. He's a midfielder. Stick him up front if that's what he's there for. It's not that he doesn't run around. He mad bad choices all day. He failed to make simple passes.

Play offs are a step too far. We'd be smashed by anyone in them anyway based on current performances. Finishing in top 7 and setting ourselves up for an assault at the top next season is something to be happy with. There is a major strengthening Jon required in the summer. But we're not too far off. I'm not being negative. Just realistic.

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 pm

Looking at the video highlights, the first goal is clearly a goalie (Bartlett) error, the second, Terry Galbraith should give away a corner, and let the defence regroup. The third, after the flick on from the throw in, Bartlett and Galbraith could not get to it, the ball landed in the wrong place for both of them. Our first goal, a soft error by their goalkeeper, similar mistake to their first, goalie comes for thr ball and does not get there. The second goal, good persistence by Syers to put away the first blocked attempt, the third, the ref was not going to give a last minute penalty area hand ball, thankfully it fell to Syers and he put it away.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:31 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Play offs are a step too far. We'd be smashed by anyone in them anyway based on current performances. Finishing in top 7 and setting ourselves up for an assault at the top next season is something to be happy with. There is a major strengthening Jon required in the summer. But we're not too far off. I'm not being negative. Just realistic.
I disagree, we are good enough to sneak into the playoffs if we play to our potential and the fact that all around us keep losing/dropping points when you would expect them to win. Whether we make it or not is down to us and how we perform.

Also wouldn't expect major strengthening in the summer, it seems to me that the board are keeping a rightful tight reign on finances.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:33 pm

Ginge01 wrote:Looking at the video highlights, the first goal is clearly a goalie (Bartlett) error, the second, Terry Galbraith should give away a corner, and let the defence regroup. The third, after the flick on from the throw in, Bartlett and Galbraith could not get to it, the ball landed in the wrong place for both of them. Our first goal, a soft error by their goalkeeper, similar mistake to their first, goalie comes for thr ball and does not get there. The second goal, good persistence by Syers to put away the first blocked attempt, the third, the ref was not going to give a last minute penalty area hand ball, thankfully it fell to Syers and he put it away.
Agree with this, maybe we have been harsh on Bartlett for the 2nd and 3rd goals.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:33 pm

Ginge01 wrote:Looking at the video highlights, the first goal is clearly a goalie (Bartlett) error, the second, Terry Galbraith should give away a corner, and let the defence regroup. The third, after the flick on from the throw in, Bartlett and Galbraith could not get to it, the ball landed in the wrong place for both of them. Our first goal, a soft error by their goalkeeper, similar mistake to their first, goalie comes for thr ball and does not get there. The second goal, good persistence by Syers to put away the first blocked attempt, the third, the ref was not going to give a last minute penalty area hand ball, thankfully it fell to Syers and he put it away.
3rd goal looks like we don't deal with the header and Hunter loses his man who scores the goal.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:40 pm

loan_star wrote:
Agree with this, maybe we have been harsh on Bartlett for the 2nd and 3rd goals.
Totally agree.. People near me were slating Syers saying he's not good enough not many players covered themselves in glory today, think we need to change formation play players in there natural positions..

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:51 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:Play offs are a step too far. We'd be smashed by anyone in them anyway based on current performances. Finishing in top 7 and setting ourselves up for an assault at the top next season is something to be happy with. There is a major strengthening Jon required in the summer. But we're not too far off. I'm not being negative. Just realistic.
I disagree, we are good enough to sneak into the playoffs if we play to our potential and the fact that all around us keep losing/dropping points when you would expect them to win. Whether we make it or not is down to us and how we perform.

Also wouldn't expect major strengthening in the summer, it seems to me that the board are keeping a rightful tight reign on finances.
I agree on the board front. I expect we'll see Martin in his most ruthless poise yet. I think we'll see a few faces departing and some new ones coming in. Budget will be set. But Gray has some hard work in the summer.

polam

Post by polam » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Has to be said that Trinity were miles better than either Worcester or Stalybridge. So to fight back from two goals down was a good battling performance - heads did not drop and it was no surprise to get the equaliser. We were certainly worth the point, and with a full squad to select from after today things are looking up.

Spot on Darlobaz about the six minutes - the time wasting was outrageous, luckily the ref was counting it all up.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:26 pm

Another bad day at the office Darlo, but Bartlett should have the benefit of the doubt with a surprisingly bad debut.

His shouting & distribution may be just what we need to get the other defenders in far better shape for the run in that is looking more and more difficult.

Viewing the GTFC goals his teammates could have done a lot better.

Coming from a higher level Bartlett may have been taken off guard by our "routine" poor challenges and positioning.

Some changes in CB and/or RB positions due for Wednesday?

I'm glad some attendees thought the team played well in build up play, but the end product sounded poor on DFR with repeated long balls and crossed balls being "lost" in the box. Beck is usually well marked and Cartman is often out wide, so I didn't understand the tactics used for the bulk of the game.

Gillies and Wearmouth made a pacey & incisive impact when they were subbed on, so will at least one be worth a start on Wednesday?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:31 pm

The three goals against:

Number One: Absolute howler from the keeper, schoolboy error.
Number Two: Galbraith should have done better but keeper was hopelessly out of position giving the attacker the chance to just clip it easily into the far corner,
Number Three: Slack defending from a long throw but keeper has to be better with a ball dropping two yards from his goal. Woeful.

Ed had hardly put a foot wrong, clean sheets were being notched up and we were looking more solid. You don't need to fix what ain't broken.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:15 am

Mixed feelings after walking out from this match yesterday ...

I've seen some brilliant 0-0 draws in my time ..... this seemed the complete opposite .... a crap 3-3

In my opinion, whilst there were some decent individual performances , there were too many players who didn't perform as well as expected. Clearly, the new keeper must take some of the blame for the goals conceded.

As with other viewpoints, I was frustrated with Syers but fair play to him, he kept going and got the goals to rescue a point

There are no easy games in this league. We have a decent side but we must match teams for effort, cut out basic errors and keep our shape to win consistently.

We shouldn't under estimate Bradford PA this week ...

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:22 am

LoidLucan wrote:The three goals against:

Number Two: Galbraith should have done better but keeper was hopelessly out of position giving the attacker the chance to just clip it easily into the far corner,
Number Three: Slack defending from a long throw but keeper has to be better with a ball dropping two yards from his goal. Woeful.

Ed had hardly put a foot wrong, clean sheets were being notched up and we were looking more solid. You don't need to fix what ain't broken.
how cliché

right

goal 1: not getting away from if you commit you have to claim or punch it sails well over his head.
goal 2: I don't really see how it is his fault the ball travelled a mighty distance because of poor defending he closes it down but can't get there quick enough - I am not sure what position you expected him to be in? The only way I can see he could have prevented that is somehow knowing our defender would let it run that far and therefore anticipated and come charging out at the point the throw in was taken...not really going to happen.
goal 3: this is not his fault either. He is in the right position to deal with a goal bound effort from the initial throw. The fact it is flicked on and their man is left unmarked on the 6 yard box is not our goalkeepers fault.

What I would say is all 6 goals are a terrible representation of defending in the National League North. Our 3 goals are just as bad as theirs!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:29 am

lo36789 wrote:

how cliché

right

goal 1: not getting away from if you commit you have to claim or punch it sails well over his head.
goal 2: I don't really see how it is his fault the ball travelled a mighty distance because of poor defending he closes it down but can't get there quick enough - I am not sure what position you expected him to be in? The only way I can see he could have prevented that is somehow knowing our defender would let it run that far and therefore anticipated and come charging out at the point the throw in was taken...not really going to happen.
goal 3: this is not his fault either. He is in the right position to deal with a goal bound effort from the initial throw. The fact it is flicked on and their man is left unmarked on the 6 yard box is not our goalkeepers fault.

What I would say is all 6 goals are a terrible representation of defending in the National League North. Our 3 goals are just as bad as theirs!
Not often I don't agree with Lucan but this reply from Lo has it spot on in my opinion.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:44 am

Neil Johnson wrote:Another bad day at the office Darlo, but Bartlett should have the benefit of the doubt with a surprisingly bad debut.

His shouting & distribution may be just what we need to get the other defenders in far better shape for the run in that is looking more and more difficult.

Viewing the GTFC goals his teammates could have done a lot better.

Coming from a higher level Bartlett may have been taken off guard by our "routine" poor challenges and positioning.

Some changes in CB and/or RB positions due for Wednesday?

I'm glad some attendees thought the team played well in build up play, but the end product sounded poor on DFR with repeated long balls and crossed balls being "lost" in the box. Beck is usually well marked and Cartman is often out wide, so I didn't understand the tactics used for the bulk of the game.

Gillies and Wearmouth made a pacey & incisive impact when they were subbed on, so will at least one be worth a start on Wednesday?
Why on earth would you want to change the right back?....He was one of our better players yesterday.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 am

loan_star wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

how cliché

right

Not often I don't agree with Lucan but this reply from Lo has it spot on in my opinion.
Agree with Lo as well, think that's a very fair assessment.

First one, undoubtedly Bartlett's at fault. To blame him for 2 and 3 is harsh.

Ultimately, every time Bartlett makes a mistake or is perceived to have made a mistake, it'll be leapt upon with comments like "Ed should never have been dropped."

Remember the same thing happening when we let go of Andrew Johnson a few years back. Any time a striker missed a simple chance, people would say "We shouldn't have sold AJ."

Entirely meaningless and without basis.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:12 am

I hope we continue to take a punt on the FT players who leave the profession for reasons of getting more secure long term employment as well. Turnbull (Teacher), Syers (Accountant) & Bartlett (Coaching).

That is how we are going to be able to compete at a Conference National level when the time comes, we also need to be seen to be an option for these players as it could encourage more to make the same leap when they are 28/29.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:18 am

Watched the highlights. We have to be disappointed with a point away at a team that are scrapping for league survival.

From the video Bartlett is responsible for the first. Questionable whether he is responsible for the second (if tez is in any doubt of him getting there that ball should be out of play). 3rd no chance. A mam un marked from 3 yards get to bites a putting it in the net with no challenge. That is appalling marking.

I think we're 1 Commanding and Experienced CB away from being a very decent side at this level. We do not need massive changes to the squad. Can't understand those who don't see Syers quality. His goals per game ratio must be rediculous for a midfielder.

Another point. I don't think this set up suits Cartman. I'd much prefer to a more 4-2-3-1 formation. With Turnbull, Falkringham behind Gillies, Syers and Thompson (with Wearmouth available to swas into in the wider positions). And Beck up top.

I don't think we're ready for playoffs until we get our selves sorted at CB. But I'd love to take the hate reciepts from getting there. Would be a huge boost for the club just before a fundraising drive.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:49 am

JE93 wrote:
I think we're 1 Commanding and Experienced CB away from being a very decent side at this level.
I'd say one CB and one forward. Two forwards if we lose Beck over the summer.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Radar

Post by Radar » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:10 am

lo36789 wrote:

how cliché

right

Ask a Bartlett himself who is a goalkeeper coach and he will tell you he was at fault for all 3 goals. First one, was there for all to see, 2nd was a very poor starting position finding himself in no mans land and the 3rd was again down to a poor decision meaning the ball bouncing in his 6 yard box. That should never ever happen.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:33 am

He'll get a swift chance to redeem himself because Bradford are a big side and are certain to dump a fair few high balls in and around the six-yard box, if they've had a look at the highlights.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:48 am

dickdarlington wrote:Ed was doing alright but has he really had anything to do so far?
A good point, and I was thinking the same thing.

Yes, Ed has been solid - but in the games I've seen with him in goal, I can't remember him making a save! He's claimed the ball well, kept things tight and been sensible etc but we haven't really seen him in proper action.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:15 am

Radar wrote:
Ask a Bartlett himself who is a goalkeeper coach and he will tell you he was at fault for all 3 goals. First one, was there for all to see, 2nd was a very poor starting position finding himself in no mans land and the 3rd was again down to a poor decision meaning the ball bouncing in his 6 yard box. That should never ever happen.
First one agreed.

Second one, why didn't Galbraith just take command of the situation? He had the ball at his feet. As for the starting position, where else do you want a keeper to start from? The half way line possibly? He was in his own penalty area and Galbraith was between the player and the ball before it ever got to being Bartletts responsibility.

Third one, you cant be serious about that can you? The long throw wasn't cut out and there was an unmarked forward in the box. Who was marking him?

By all means point the finger of blame but point it at the others who didn't help the situation on the 2nd and 3rd goals.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:07 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:Ed was doing alright but has he really had anything to do so far?
A good point, and I was thinking the same thing.

Yes, Ed has been solid - but in the games I've seen with him in goal, I can't remember him making a save! He's claimed the ball well, kept things tight and been sensible etc but we haven't really seen him in proper action.
In the earlier games that Ed played in he had plenty to do, though I din't think he was to blame for the goals conceded.
Over the last 3 games he played in it could be argued that he had little to do.
But, it could also be argued that he had command of his area and as such organises his defence accordingly...
Being vocal and organised is part of his game, and that was a big factor in our recent clean sheets.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:59 pm

My opinion wrote: Being vocal and organised is part of his game, and that was a big factor in our recent clean sheets.
Being vocal is definitely one of Bartletts strong points, far more vocal than Ed.