Worst ever Darlo player

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Worst ever Darlo player

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Burridge was really poor when he came from poolie.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:41 pm

He didn't come from the Poolies Pete.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:08 pm

Yes, remember him well Adam for all the wrong reasons, sure he did score a goal for us from no more than 2 yards out and certain it went in off the crossbar.God was he garbage, Jonjo Dickman another one that was less than impressive plus every one of Staunton's signings.If we had a poll for worst manager then he would be right at the top.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:13 pm

It was a tap in against Leyton Orient which he firstly missed from 2 yards but scored the rebound off the post. Wonder where David Woodcock would rate?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Glen Robson from Blyth, the type of players we signed after all the money was spent on the Arena.

Also Clint Marcelle from 01/02.
Last edited by real_darlo_85 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:54 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Yes, remember him well Adam for all the wrong reasons, sure he did score a goal for us from no more than 2 yards out and certain it went in off the crossbar.God was he garbage, Jonjo Dickman another one that was less than impressive plus every one of Staunton's signings.If we had a poll for worst manager then he would be right at the top.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Not sure about that - Tadgh Purcell was decent.

Dickman was not great but i thought he got way more stick than he deserved. He was just one of several distinctly average central midfielders David Hodgson signed at the time.

There was another McMahon, David I think, on loan from Newcastle around the late 90s. He was one of the worst.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:06 pm

N'Goma is another...
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Probably another disappointing signing was Chris Lumsdon. A decent, tenacious midfielder before he came to us but by the time we signed him he was knackered and ready for retirement, in fact I think he only played 3 games for us in our final FL season.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:44 pm

We've had loads of shyte over the years, particularly after the 99/00 season, but I reserve particular disdain for Windass and Whelan who both stole a wage whilst being totally incapable, nor interested, in playing for us.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:58 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:N'Goma is another...
Nowhere near our worst player.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Marv

Post by Marv » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:26 am

I think this is one of my favourite subjects

I'll go for a blast from the past: Nick Pickering.
(I think he was capped by England, ex-Sunderland, won the FA Cup with Coventry and then joined us in the early 90's). He was absolutely dreadful (and overweight) every time I saw him play.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 am

Again, nowhere near the worst. Paddy Deane has to be very close, and there was some garbage amongst the re-election sides we had.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:48 am

QuakerPete wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Steve Tupling and Bernie Slaven.
Steve Tupling was far from the worst player we've had.
Definitely your namesake!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always knew when he'd had a bad game as he would come home and kick me. Fortunately, he usually missed.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:22 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Wonder where David Woodcock would rate?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Think before posting

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:51 am

Undercovered wrote:Steve McMahon, too many s*** players to mention
THE worst player ever. Terrible.

( Followed swiftly by Clint Marcelle)
Last edited by MKDarlo on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:52 am

Marv wrote:I think this is one of my favourite subjects

(I think he was capped by England, ex-Sunderland, won the FA Cup with Coventry and then joined us in the early 90's). He was absolutely dreadful (and overweight) every time I saw him play.
and cost us £90k!

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:58 am

Right. Started going regularly in 1993, anything before then can't be as rubbish as the below:

So I can think of one truly woeful keeper; Keith Finch.

In defence we've had; Ville Vaisannen (cue Footifan to leap to his defence ;) ), Ricki Bains, Franz Resch (who played a fair bit I seem to recall) and way back when i first started going the utterly pants Ashley Fickling.

Midfielders not worthy of a mention are; Phil Stamp, Clint Marcelle (both mentioned) and Zeghdane (that was a low point).

And up front...Dean Windass and Glen Robson with no goals between them, Simon Thomas was shocking. Craig Russell (I was there at Macclesfield). And how can we forget Kirk "not a lot of action" Jackson.

But my personal worst ever Darlo player (and this is controversial) is Gary Chapman. He played for three seasons (when i first started watching too - it's a wonder i still go), and scored 9 goals. 9 goals in three seasons. Not even double figures! And i think three of them were against Colchester in the 7-3 game (though i'm not sure). He has to be our worst ever 'regular' player.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Nick Pickering was gash when he first started but actually by the end of his darlo career was decent.

Just one of those players who needed more time to adjust to playing with inferior players.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Paddy Deane, Noel Whelan and I really hated Dean Windass' time with us. He walked around the pitch for most of his time and didn't look interested in the slightest. Remember him taking a penalty at the arena which he tried to be clever and ended up looking like an idiot

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Couple of others that no-one has mentioned...

We had a RB on loan from Carlisle at one point - Kane - utterly dreadful and one of the slowest pro's I've ever seen. He somehow wound up with caps for *both* Republic of Ireland U21s and Northern Ireland U21s, so perhaps it was application rather than ability, but either way he was shocking for us.

Another one would be Paul Mattison. Remember him from the mid-90s?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:36 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Right. Started going regularly in 1993, anything before then can't be as rubbish as the below:

So I can think of one truly woeful keeper; Keith Finch.

In defence we've had; Ville Vaisannen (cue Footifan to leap to his defence ;) ), Ricki Bains, Franz Resch (who played a fair bit I seem to recall) and way back when i first started going the utterly pants Ashley Fickling.

Midfielders not worthy of a mention are; Phil Stamp, Clint Marcelle (both mentioned) and Zeghdane (that was a low point).

And up front...Dean Windass and Glen Robson with no goals between them, Simon Thomas was shocking. Craig Russell (I was there at Macclesfield). And how can we forget Kirk "not a lot of action" Jackson.

But my personal worst ever Darlo player (and this is controversial) is Gary Chapman. He played for three seasons (when i first started watching too - it's a wonder i still go), and scored 9 goals. 9 goals in three seasons. Not even double figures! And i think three of them were against Colchester in the 7-3 game (though i'm not sure). He has to be our worst ever 'regular' player.
Stamp was another who actually looked a cut above but was so unfit we never got to see it.

Wasn't Zeghdane a forward? I thought he came in just after Kaak left along with another Frenchman.

David Duke is another who was pretty rubbish.

DC

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:18 pm

MKDarlo wrote:

and cost us £90k!
That was Nick Cusack, surely? I think Pickering was a free.

Anyway, as if Pickering was the worst player Darlo have ever had. He wasn't even anywhere near to being the worst player in the 91-92 or 92-93 teams.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:20 pm

broadsexile wrote:
MKDarlo wrote:

and cost us £90k!

Anyway, as if Pickering was the worst player Darlo have ever had. He wasn't even anywhere near to being the worst player in the 91-92 or 92-93 teams.
of course it was! :crazy: Early on set dementia...........

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:31 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
broadsexile wrote:
MKDarlo wrote:

and cost us £90k!

of course it was! :crazy: Early on set dementia...........
Don't worry, I'm only in my mid-thirties and I can barely remember players from seven years ago.

Cusack should be in with a nod here if it's about value or an expectations/ achievements ratio. He was bought in as a record signing and was supposed to give us the firepower to get off the bottom of Division Three, but did absolutely sod all - until we were relegated, then he seemed to start scoring. We beat Exeter 5-2 on the final day of the season and he got two, iirc.

That whole team were out of their depth in Division Three, to be fair. All too old, too young, or too crap.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Jefferson Lewis by far worst player I've ever seen for any side let alone darlo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:39 pm

Cusack was decent and certainly nowhere near our worst player.

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:50 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Cusack was decent and certainly nowhere near our worst player.
That would be why I put in a qualification about how he might be considered the worst in relation to value or expectation (which is surely the reason you've claimed Bernie Slaven, who was not actually awful but a huge disappointment, was our worst player further up the thread.)

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:56 pm

FWIW I thought Cusack was really good at the time and we managed to get back the nearly £100k we paid for him so he can't have been that bad. I remember him being really good in the air.

On the other hand my all time worst player remains Drewe Broughton. Admittedly he was retired before he joined us and came back when we were in trouble but it was heartbreaking to watch the youngsters we had to throw in under Lidds work their tails off to get the ball forward to him who had feet of stone and the touch of an elephant.

I still maintain we could have miraculously survived with that young bunch of players working for Lidds but that complete plank up front sucked the life out of everyone.

If memory serves his only goal came away at Telford, where he managed to almost air kick at an open goal but luckily the ball hit his knee and rolled in.

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:58 pm

dickdarlington wrote:
Chapman seemed to divide opinion, and Mission Impossible had at least one writer who was convinced he didn't get a fair crack/ got played out of position/ got unfairly blamed for bad performances when there were lots of worse players about at the time. It's a long time ago but I seem to recall he had good feet but got caught offside a lot.

The Alan Murray period was weird in general. We had quite a lot of decent players, particularly young and youngish ones: Gregan, Painter, Crosby, Himsworth, Reed and Gaughan. But we always seemed to be basically rubbish.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Worst ever player would be someone from the Northern League season who never really made a massive impact and/or wanted to be "home for tea" then moved to other 9th division clubs and hasn't played any higher.