Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match thread

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:05 pm

al_quaker wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Quakers83 wrote: If similar improvements of the above are put into place over the summer then it'll certainly be interesting to see the attendances in Aug-Sept-Oct 2017 at Blackwell, preferably against decent opposition (I.E, Boston/Halifax/Kidderminster/Salford/Stockport/FC United of Manchester/Harrogate/potentially York).
In an ideal world this would happen. However we would need a massive fund raising drive for this to happen unless some kind hearted soul who has a few hundred grand to give away comes along.
The difficult part is for DFC to convince fans to part with more money whilst DRFC still seem to be being awkward over some issues.
I was thinking the other day - surely we would have heard by now of a fundraising drive if we needed money to do stuff (specifically the pitch) over the summer? I'm far from a pitch expert, but I would think it would better to do it earlier in the summer rather than later, which doesn't leave huge amounts of time for fundraising (if it's needed/still happening)
All depends on the league we are in, no point raising money for a pitch if we also need money for a stand etc. All has to be done in one go, another month or so and we will know where we are, then plans can be put in place.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:08 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Quakers83 wrote: If similar improvements of the above are put into place over the summer then it'll certainly be interesting to see the attendances in Aug-Sept-Oct 2017 at Blackwell, preferably against decent opposition (I.E, Boston/Halifax/Kidderminster/Salford/Stockport/FC United of Manchester/Harrogate/potentially York).
In an ideal world this would happen. However we would need a massive fund raising drive for this to happen unless some kind hearted soul who has a few hundred grand to give away comes along.
The difficult part is for DFC to convince fans to part with more money whilst DRFC still seem to be being awkward over some issues.
I was thinking the other day - surely we would have heard by now of a fundraising drive if we needed money to do stuff (specifically the pitch) over the summer? I'm far from a pitch expert, but I would think it would better to do it earlier in the summer rather than later, which doesn't leave huge amounts of time for fundraising (if it's needed/still happening)
All depends on the league we are in, no point raising money for a pitch if we also need money for a stand etc. All has to be done in one go, another month or so and we will know where we are, then plans can be put in place.
Good point - and I suppose the pitch as it is might be a leveller if we were near the bottom of the conference coming against pro sides most weeks :lol:

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Just a few % more from the team and they could be on a major roll.

A touch more pace and confidence in front of goal for example.

The way the team is playing together we can hope that the game play will keep on improving and make us a really strong promotion contender.

We have seen Darlo push on successfully at this stage in previous seasons, but it's up to the players to now perform with consistency and panache, coupled with strong rousing vocal support from the fans.

Seems a whole world away from the despondency of the Worcester away debacle.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
al_quaker wrote: Shame about the crowd, but not overly surprising. Hopefully if we can stay in playoff contention things will pick up. And then moving forwards a better pitch and hopefully better facilities might make it more appealing to more people.
Agree with this.

I had the same discussion the other week. The ground can only realistically hold c1,800, anything more than that and you struggle to get a decent view of the match, it puts people off.

The pitch is unfortunately very poor and the ball is up in the air a lot. It isn't pretty as I find our games at BM have turned very scrappy as the pitch doesn't allow any kind of passing football.

Hopefully this issue will be rectified in the summer when the pitch is re-laid, and also visibility will be improved from a spectators point of view with an additional 250 seats.

Next steps we will have to look at putting a terrace 8/10 steps deep at the open-end which will improve visibility no-end.
"in the summer when the pitch is re-laid".........Dalofan97 No one from either club has confirmed this have they? Clearly a lot of work needs doing in the close season but a new pitch is probably too expensive unless you know otherwise!