Regional Leagues

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TeessideQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Regional Leagues

Post by TeessideQuaker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:36 pm

I've noticed a few people talking about this lately? Is this really the way forward for lower league teams? I'm interested to know how it would work with promotion/relegations possibly seeing much more Southern/Northern based clubs. Surely this would mean chopping and changing every year or so.

ted_do

Re: Regional Leagues

Post by ted_do » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:54 pm

There loads of complications in having regional leagues and for every plus there is a negative. But strip the full game back to its roots and then ask the fundamental questions.

Why do players that play in front of sub 2000 paying customers expect to be paid 35+K. Why do football clubs travel 500 miles round trip for one game and its so far that not even 30 people from the clubs home town are willing to make the effort. How can a business with less than 2000 customers go bust twice in ten years owing £10 million (giving each fan 5 grand to f off and give up would have been a cheaper option over the ten years). Every year more than one club goes in to admin leaving local businesses to bear the losses. What is the diferance playing Daganam, torquay or York Hartlepool Gateshead apart from costs.

All this spells out the last dying days of lower league football in its present form it cant go on with out reform.

Daidy

Post by Daidy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:40 pm

I don't really understand the arguments for regionalising the lower leagues. Do people really believe it is the travel costs that have run us into administration?
I also don't see how regionalising the leagues would drive down players wages. Due to the Premiership, player's wages will always remain as high as they are now, because it has become the norm. We see clubs in the Blue square North and South struggling to stay in the Black due to their own financial constraints. The only way I see teams like ourselves managing to survive without a benefactor is if the Premiership and Championship formed two new divisions with no relegation to lower leagues. It is an abhorrent idea but I don't see how else wages and overheads will be driven down to an acceptable level.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:26 pm

I think the main attraction of regionalised leagues is the potential for bigger crowds, mainly if Div 1 & 2 amalgamated.

We'd get Leeds, Huddersfield, Carlisle, Hartlepool etc, Torquay would get Southampton, Norwich, Brighton, Charlton etc.

Bigger crowds less travelling. However, it still would be difficult to work out who went where after promotion/relegation.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:52 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:I think the main attraction of regionalised leagues is the potential for bigger crowds, mainly if Div 1 & 2 amalgamated.

We'd get Leeds, Huddersfield, Carlisle, Hartlepool etc, Torquay would get Southampton, Norwich, Brighton, Charlton etc.

Bigger crowds less travelling. However, it still would be difficult to work out who went where after promotion/relegation.

Easy 4 comes down from the Championship and two teams from each North/South goes straight upto Championship. <simples>

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:53 pm

...and if the 4 coming down are all southern teams?

simples???????? :roll:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

The Tees Mouth

Post by The Tees Mouth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:54 pm

he means one year someone might be in the north and then the next year they could be in the south due to a change in the amount of far south teams in the division. It would be awkward to work out and do you think the crowds would improve that much?

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:23 pm

The Tees Mouth wrote:he means one year someone might be in the north and then the next year they could be in the south due to a change in the amount of far south teams in the division. It would be awkward to work out and do you think the crowds would improve that much?

Exactly the two team which are furtherst North would go in the North Section.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:31 pm

i believe the way it worked in rugby is that 3 team got relegated from the national league the most southern team goes into the southern league and the most northern team goes into the northern league, and the other team goes into the league which 2 teams got promoted from (top placed in each league gets promoted and 2nd placed in each league play each other with the winner being promoted). you then stay in that regional league until you get relegated or promoted, so after afew seasons there could be southern based teams in the northern league and northern teams in the southern league. i think afew years ago there was a london (or very southern) based team in the northern league as they were the most northern team (or filling the gap left by a northern team winning the play offs)
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Gloucester are in the Conference North and they are next to bloody Bristol :lol:

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:39 pm

The Tees Mouth wrote:he means one year someone might be in the north and then the next year they could be in the south due to a change in the amount of far south teams in the division. It would be awkward to work out and do you think the crowds would improve that much?
Yes, I personally think the crowds would improve. More so with the reduced travelling required.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:16 pm

TeessideQuaker wrote:
Yes, I personally think the crowds would improve. More so with the reduced travelling required.
I've long been in favour of Regionalising everything below the Premiership ie Champ and L1 could call themselves Championship N & S. L2 and BSP merge to become FL N & S and then we have the existing Conference N & S already in place.

Promotion is potentially faster, loads more local games, reduced travel costs, bigger gates. It really is a no-brainer. :thumbup: