Reserves

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Emdubya
Team Supported: Darlington

Reserves

Post by Emdubya » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Good 3-0 win for the reserves today at Eastbourne,the highlight being Aaron Wearmouth getting a good 30 minute run out in his first game of the season.Long way to go for him yet but the lad certainly has a touch of class about him.Hopefull of seeing him in first team action before the end of the season.

bga

Re: Reserves

Post by bga » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:52 am

Good to see the Reserves (or "Ressies" as they were referred to on the Club site!) start to help the First Team. Don't think this was the case when we first took them over was it, as the difference in standard was too great, but it has ben narrowed now? Saunders has played for them as well hasn't he?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:58 am

Nope don't think Saunders has played for the Reserves he has turned out for Ryhope CW & Dunston. in Northern League Div 1 this season though.

Glad to hear Wearmouth is back and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench this Saturday with Brown out, although he may be better getting 45 mins for the reserves.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Think I was getting mixed up (it's an age thing!) with that other young lad Milburn. My point still stands though, Club as a whole moving in the right direction.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:36 pm

MG said earlier this season that he wants a promotion push next year for the reserves so that we are in the Northern League. Obviously this would be something to aim for, but having looked at the criteria for a Step 6 club, we would need to charge an entry fee and have some sort of turnstile/ entry box as well as a cover for 50 spectators. Does the infrastructure currently have that?

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Non of the above are currently at Eastbourne around the all weather pitch but a switch to the grass pitch could solve that.
I am also under the impression that the Northern League don't allow reserve teams from higher level clubs,or has that changed now that Saint Mike has left?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Emdubya wrote:Non of the above are currently at Eastbourne around the all weather pitch but a switch to the grass pitch could solve that.
I am also under the impression that the Northern League don't allow reserve teams from higher level clubs,or has that changed now that Saint Mike has left?
I am unsure regarding infrastructure, but when we first we took over from Horden the issue regarding having a reserve side in the Northern League was brought up. What was mentioned was that our playing name would revert to 'Darlington' over the summer, and our reserve side would be 'Darlington 1883'. I am unsure as to how true this is however.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Emdubya wrote:Good 3-0 win for the reserves today at Eastbourne,the highlight being Aaron Wearmouth getting a good 30 minute run out in his first game of the season.Long way to go for him yet but the lad certainly has a touch of class about him.Hopefull of seeing him in first team action before the end of the season.
Did he miss a pen??

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:42 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Emdubya wrote:Good 3-0 win for the reserves today at Eastbourne,the highlight being Aaron Wearmouth getting a good 30 minute run out in his first game of the season.Long way to go for him yet but the lad certainly has a touch of class about him.Hopefull of seeing him in first team action before the end of the season.
Did he miss a pen??
According to the match report on the official site, yes he did.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/arr ... erve-game/

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:42 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Did he miss a pen??
Certainly did.Dont think Tez has much to worry about :lol:
Third goal was down to a great run and cut back by him though.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:05 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Nope don't think Saunders has played for the Reserves he has turned out for Ryhope CW & Dunston. in Northern League Div 1 this season though.

Glad to hear Wearmouth is back and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench this Saturday with Brown out, although he may be better getting 45 mins for the reserves.
I think in the long run it would be better staying with the reserves for 2/3 weeks. Slow and steady, no need to rush back especially when we have Gillies on the bench.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Emdubya wrote:.... and our reserve side would be 'Darlington 1883'. I am unsure as to how true this is however.
IF this is true, then can we call the reserves something else. anything to rid the club of those numbers after its name.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Emdubya wrote:Non of the above are currently at Eastbourne around the all weather pitch but a switch to the grass pitch could solve that.
I am unsure regarding infrastructure, but when we first we took over from Horden the issue regarding having a reserve side in the Northern League was brought up. What was mentioned was that our playing name would revert to 'Darlington' over the summer, and our reserve side would be 'Darlington 1883'. I am unsure as to how true this is however.
If true could this be "a cunning plan" to play in the NL?

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:MG said earlier this season that he wants a promotion push next year for the reserves so that we are in the Northern League. Obviously this would be something to aim for, but having looked at the criteria for a Step 6 club, we would need to charge an entry fee and have some sort of turnstile/ entry box as well as a cover for 50 spectators. Does the infrastructure currently have that?
Could play at RA or similar

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Darlo reserves used to win the Wearside League annually in the 70's, but no promotion seemed to be considered / allowed then. Dont think the NL would accept reserve outfits. If the fist team reach the Conference they may be allowed into a reserves league for full time clubs.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
Darlo reserves used to win the Wearside League annually in the 70's, but no promotion seemed to be considered / allowed then. Dont think the NL would accept reserve outfits. If the fist team reach the Conference they may be allowed into a reserves league for full time clubs.
Can't believe how many times you trot this shite out.Darlo Reserves won the Wearside once,do you get that,once .1969 it was when they won it for the one and only time.And then in the 70's guess how many times they won it?. :crazy: :crazy:

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:16 pm

bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Would get around the promotion rule in theory - however, would this go against the five year rule? I was under the impression we weren't allowed to be called Darlington FC as another team had occupied that name within the past 5 years, would the same not apply here if they were to try and take the 1883 name?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:01 pm

DFCAnth wrote:
bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Would get around the promotion rule in theory - however, would this go against the five year rule? I was under the impression we weren't allowed to be called Darlington FC as another team had occupied that name within the past 5 years, would the same not apply here if they were to try and take the 1883 name?
Would they be taking the 1883 name, or would it just be a continuation?

Just a rumour as I say, but in theory it would work but I am unsure how Durham FA would stand with it.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Great to see the reserves won again at Stokesley 0-1 and are now 7th in the Wearside League.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:58 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Great to see the reserves won again at Stokesley 0-1 and are now 7th in the Wearside League.
Wins breed confidence and confidence is a big factor in bringing on the younger players.

We can expect a confidence building season for the reserves in 2017-2018.

With youngster confidence high more of them could be incorporated into the first team squad.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 am

DFCAnth wrote:Would get around the promotion rule in theory - however, would this go against the five year rule? I was under the impression we weren't allowed to be called Darlington FC as another team had occupied that name within the past 5 years, would the same not apply here if they were to try and take the 1883 name?
There isn't a 5 year rule per say - there was a precedent set by Newport / Maidstone and a few others whereby if the previous club is wound up then their playing name was held for 5 years.

We weren't liquidated the holding company might have been but all assets were sold to Darlington 1883 limited our transfer of assets wasn't that much different to when Singh bought the club from Houghton except there was no CVA (Leeds United and Bournemouth have previously left admin without a CVA but we were treated differently to them).

Anyway...since we haven't been in admin or anything then the Darlington 1883 name can be transferred at will as far as I am aware.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 am

lo36789 wrote:
DFCAnth wrote:Would get around the promotion rule in theory - however, would this go against the five year rule? I was under the impression we weren't allowed to be called Darlington FC as another team had occupied that name within the past 5 years, would the same not apply here if they were to try and take the 1883 name?
There isn't a 5 year rule per say - there was a precedent set by Newport / Maidstone and a few others whereby if the previous club is wound up then their playing name was held for 5 years.

We weren't liquidated the holding company might have been but all assets were sold to Darlington 1883 limited our transfer of assets wasn't that much different to when Singh bought the club from Houghton except there was no CVA (Leeds United and Bournemouth have previously left admin without a CVA but we were treated differently to them).

Anyway...since we haven't been in admin or anything then the Darlington 1883 name can be transferred at will as far as I am aware.

The name of the reserve team is irrelevant to whether they can be in Northern League or not.

The issue is are they a reserve team or not.

Calling them a different name does not mean they are not a reserve team. If the contrary were true, then don't you think Man U, Man City etc would not have bought a club in the Championship eg Huddersfield, Leeds etc and use them as a reserve team in the way people on here are proposing Darlington do with their reserve side.

The name of the reserve team is irrelevant