Turnbull

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Turnbull

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:01 pm

What the hell is going on. Best footballer at the club but dropped and doesn't look at all happy. Should be first name on the teamsheet for me.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

onewayup

Re: Turnbull

Post by onewayup » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:30 pm

I heard he was carrying a small injury,don't know if it's right but somethings not quite right.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:37 pm

LoidLucan wrote:What the hell is going on. Best footballer at the club but dropped and doesn't look at all happy. Should be first name on the teamsheet for me.
Agree with that, he did not look happy at all when he was subbed on Wednesday night, could be wrong but MG rules the roost and any player who shows the slightest attitude in the wrong way towards been subbed soon lets them know. Pretty sure he was not injured on Wednesday.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Agree that Turnbull is a class act but surely it's either him or Falkingham in CM. We tried both together earlier in the season and it didn't work at all. At the moment Falkingham's the man in form.

meadowlark

Post by meadowlark » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:35 pm

I wouldnt expect Turnbull to look anything but unhappy when he was subbed. No player likes being taken off, but as good as he is, he has been below par in recent games. Having said that, he is not alone in being below par.
After looking like we had tightened up defensively a few games back, we are conceding far too easily and too often. We have to fix this and quickly if we are to remain in play off contention.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:40 pm

meadowlark wrote:I wouldnt expect Turnbull to look anything but unhappy when he was subbed. No player likes being taken off, but as good as he is, he has been below par in recent games. Having said that, he is not alone in being below par.
After looking like we had tightened up defensively a few games back, we are conceding far too easily and too often. We have to fix this and quickly if we are to remain in play off contention.
Spot on just because you are "A Class Act" does not mean you are guaranteed a place in the starting 11 unless you put in consistent performances, which I don't believe he has since the turn of the year. Falkingham is the man in form at present.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:31 pm

I think Turnbull was subbed on Wednesday, with a view to today's game. If he'd played the fill 90 minutes on Wednesday, then he probably wouldn't have featured today.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:26 pm

We were dreadful for much of the game today. We lacked creativity, looked disjointed, could barely string a couple of passes together and struggled against weak opposition. And we left our best footballer and best midfielder on the bench for a lot of the time. It makes no sense. I think I'm right in saying that our first real effort on target with intent didn't come until around 20 minutes from the end. In my book your best and most consistent players should be on the pitch from the off.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:28 am

All games are tough in this league WHY do people think we are going to steam roll teams, we are in great position if we miss out then so be it... I don't care where the so called worst teams are in the league they all want to win...

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 am

Agree with the squad we have who have done us proud these last four years I think we are really punching above our weight.
Now if we want to progress I think a few changes will have to be made tough decisions for Martin over the summer.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:48 am

m62exile wrote:Agree that Turnbull is a class act but surely it's either him or Falkingham in CM. We tried both together earlier in the season and it didn't work at all. At the moment Falkingham's the man in form.
I disagree with this, we had one of our best runs when Turnbull and Falkingham were paired together. Then Josh went off the boil and was dropped for Scott.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:01 pm

loan_star wrote:
m62exile wrote:Agree that Turnbull is a class act but surely it's either him or Falkingham in CM. We tried both together earlier in the season and it didn't work at all. At the moment Falkingham's the man in form.
I disagree with this, we had one of our best runs when Turnbull and Falkingham were paired together. Then Josh went off the boil and was dropped for Scott.
Agreed.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:20 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Agree with the squad we have who have done us proud these last four years I think we are really punching above our weight.
Now if we want to progress I think a few changes will have to be made tough decisions for Martin over the summer.

Does anyone have details on what contracts each player has??
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:20 pm

loan_star wrote:
I often thought that Turnbull was too dominating for Falkingham to play alongside and who wasn't trusted (almost) to play a full part in his own right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Turnbull has been trying to do everything himself and he really needs to have the confidence to lay it off to Falkingham or one of his team mates. Much better to keep possession than to try something special. He needs support to get through this sticky patch, both on the pitch and off.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:38 pm

loan_star wrote:
I'm not sure that's right at all. If I remember rightly they first played together at Lancaster where we got bumped out of the FA Cup, then in fairness we beat a couple of bottom teams through October and it did work excellently at Harrogate.

But - through November we got battered with the two in there, culminating in Falkingham getting hooked at HT at home to Salford after he gave away free kicks for the goals and could have been sent off.

Scott came on and turned that game around.

He's been really good since he came back, but I'd stick with the view that I'm not convinced the two together will be physical enough for this league.

Maybe we'll get chance to see in the games ahead.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:07 pm

I think you will find that Turnbull was not playing in the Lancaster game. Falkingham played along side of Scott..Falkingham was the outstanding player for Darlington at that game

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:55 am

My opinion wrote:I think you will find that Turnbull was not playing in the Lancaster game. Falkingham played along side of Scott..Falkingham was the outstanding player for Darlington at that game
You may well be right actually and I remember he got MOTM, but the run in November up to the Salford game in December was the spell I was trying to use to discuss the point.

My point isn't that they're not both good players, I really believe they're both good players indeed - I'm just trying to counter the question of why MG has been choosing not to pick them both together in CM. If he gives it another go and it works then great.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:25 pm

m62exile wrote:
My opinion wrote:I think you will find that Turnbull was not playing in the Lancaster game. Falkingham played along side of Scott..Falkingham was the outstanding player for Darlington at that game
You may well be right actually and I remember he got MOTM, but the run in November up to the Salford game in December was the spell I was trying to use to discuss the point.

My point isn't that they're not both good players, I really believe they're both good players indeed - I'm just trying to counter the question of why MG has been choosing not to pick them both together in CM. If he gives it another go and it works then great.
And the point is that since the Salford game we have been well under par. So the theory that Scott replacing Falkingham improved us is wrong!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:14 pm

loan_star wrote:
m62exile wrote:

And the point is that since the Salford game we have been well under par. So the theory that Scott replacing Falkingham improved us is wrong!
We've been off par since a month before the Salford game to be honest. Like you said above, Josh went off the boil and got dropped. I did think Scott improved us for a while after that, but he's lost form too lately.

Maybe MG will give the two of them another go in future games, but it seems he hasn't been keen to do that for the last few months, presumably for the reasons I mentioned above. Maybe Scott's suspension will encourage him to go back to it.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:24 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:Agree with the squad we have who have done us proud these last four years I think we are really punching above our weight.

Does anyone have details on what contracts each player has??
Jameson, Burgess, Portas & Cartman are out of contract in the summer. Gray has - however - referenced to Portas being back for pre-season.

Hunter, Marrs, Brown, Galbraith, Scott, Thompson & Wearmouth are under contract for next season.

Gillies is contracted until the summer of 2019.

I am unsure on the following:

Ed Wilczynski - Rumoured to have signed a 2 and a half year deal.
David Ferguson
Phil Turnbull
Josh Falkingham - Was initially signed on non-contract terms as we couldn't get him contracted until January 1st, unsure if this has been done.
Dave Syers - Is contracted but unsure on how long for.
Mark Beck - Rumoured to be out of contract at the end of the season.

HarrytheQuaker

Turnbull

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:23 pm

I think Cartman won't be here next season
Last edited by HarrytheQuaker on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Why does everyone refer to Cartman as Carts, like they're his pal or something?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 pm

I'd be surprised if Cartman was with us next season, even if we are still in the same division.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:01 pm

I don't call him Carts but I did say "are you okay Nathan" when he was smashed into the hoardings right by us at Skelmersdale. Carts doesn't sound right.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:09 am

Got to disagree with those who think Cartman won't be here next season. I think he will be personally. Realistically I can't see Beck being here next season. Someone in the national who is full time or a football league club will offer him a contract. Hes going to be very hard to replace.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:47 am

Beck has been fantastic this season. Looks like he'll finish up with 20-plus goals for the season but he's also either directly set up or been involved in a fair number of the rest of the goals we've scored. He's also got a great attitude and deserves another crack at a full-time pro contract if that's what he ends up with.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:54 am

LoidLucan wrote:Beck has been fantastic this season. Looks like he'll finish up with 20-plus goals for the season but he's also either directly set up or been involved in a fair number of the rest of the goals we've scored. He's also got a great attitude and deserves another crack at a full-time pro contract if that's what he ends up with.
Absolutly. Already got a very good haul of goals, set up plenty and probably had a big hand in just as many again by way of key passes leading to assists for someone else. For the life of me I can't understand why some of our fans wanted him dropping in place of Hardy. Hes amongst one of the best forwards in the league imo, let alone the club.

I'll be amazed if he is here next season. Its a shame, I'd love him to stay but he is good enough to play higher and deserves to as well.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:57 am

Quakerz wrote:Why does everyone refer to Cartman as Carts, like they're his pal or something?
Like when people referred to Craig Liddle as Lidds Quakerz , or Alan White as Whitey ?

;)
Think before posting

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:11 am

Sorry, I meant to say me good mate Becky :D