Turnbull

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Turnbull

Post by onewayup » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:34 am

I think Nathan cartman will be here next season, his workrate is phenomenal for a small player he never gives up ,adds something different when he's on the field, we as a team perform more as a unit with Nathan in the side, just my opinion.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:32 am

Nathan is one of those players that need watching in the box all the time, always looking for flick ons, typical fox in the box and listening to the commentary on Saturday his work rate is fantastic as always.Will be very disappointed if he is not here next season.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

bga

Post by bga » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:07 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Nathan is one of those players that need watching in the box all the time, always looking for flick ons, typical fox in the box and listening to the commentary on Saturday his work rate is fantastic as always.Will be very disappointed if he is not here next season.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Don't disagree with this assessment however the fact is he is not the same player we signed i.e. an out an out goal scorer with a fantastic record. I wonder if when we signed him he would have still come if he had known he would be playing this role this season? I doubt it. His body language never gives that much away, but this season in particular he doesn't seem happy to me. I for one would not be surprised to see him go.

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:44 pm

TFDM wrote:Got to disagree with those who think Cartman won't be here next season. I think he will be personally. Realistically I can't see Beck being here next season. Someone in the national who is full time or a football league club will offer him a contract. Hes going to be very hard to replace.
This. It is only a matter of time before a pro club comes in for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:58 am

Beano wrote:
TFDM wrote:Got to disagree with those who think Cartman won't be here next season. I think he will be personally. Realistically I can't see Beck being here next season. Someone in the national who is full time or a football league club will offer him a contract. Hes going to be very hard to replace.
This. It is only a matter of time before a pro club comes in for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed. They will see the 15-20 goals at this level, and his height and think he's worth a punt and hopefully bring in some much needed £££.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:13 pm

TDS wrote:Agreed. They will see the 15-20 goals at this level, and his height and think he's worth a punt and hopefully bring in some much needed £££.
sure it was mentioned on another thread that he is out of contract!?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm sure Gray will be trying to tie down Beck to a contract. Remember when he managed to sign Gillies up and no one thought we'd be able to keep him

bga

Post by bga » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:Agree with the squad we have who have done us proud these last four years I think we are really punching above our weight.
Now if we want to progress I think a few changes will have to be made tough decisions for Martin over the summer.

Does anyone have details on what contracts each player has??
Jameson, Burgess, Portas & Cartman are out of contract in the summer. Gray has - however - referenced to Portas being back for pre-season.

Hunter, Marrs, Brown, Galbraith, Scott, Thompson & Wearmouth are under contract for next season.

Gillies is contracted until the summer of 2019.

I am unsure on the following:

Ed Wilczynski - Rumoured to have signed a 2 and a half year deal.
David Ferguson
Phil Turnbull
Josh Falkingham - Was initially signed on non-contract terms as we couldn't get him contracted until January 1st, unsure if this has been done.
Dave Syers - Is contracted but unsure on how long for.
Mark Beck - Rumoured to be out of contract at the end of the season.
I had forgotten Cartman out of contract as well this summer? I certainly agree he is one I would want to keep, but as I said before depends on how happy he is playing as MG wants him too.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:04 pm

D_F_C wrote:I'm sure Gray will be trying to tie down Beck to a contract. Remember when he managed to sign Gillies up and no one thought we'd be able to keep him
Beck isn't likely to be keen on signing a new contract, as it will make him less attractable to bigger clubs, if they have to pay us a fee.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:51 pm

D_F_C wrote:I'm sure Gray will be trying to tie down Beck to a contract. Remember when he managed to sign Gillies up and no one thought we'd be able to keep him
Beck is 3/4 years younger than Gillies, and will feel he can still get in to the full-time game (possibly even the Football League again). Gillies had his opportunity with Carlisle and has probably realised that the chances of another FL club coming in for him are slim at 26/27.

The issue is, is if Beck wants to go back being full-time, then there will be 2 clubs at this level next season that will be able to offer him this and pay decent money (Harrogate & Salford). You also look at York coming down as a possibility for him. It's a different ball game to the levels we have come from where we were a huge fish in a small pond.

If Beck is happy working full-time & playing part-time for us then great, but I doubt - at 23 - he has those aspirations.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:If Beck is happy working full-time & playing part-time for us then great, but I doubt - at 23 - he has those aspirations.
Depends what he does for a career. The life of a professional non-league / lower league footballer isn't that glamorous. You are looking at £25k-£30k per annum max. If he has a fulltime job which pays more than that but with opportunities to progress then who knows.

I am not sure his age is the critical factor.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:30 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Beck is 3/4 years younger than Gillies, and will feel he can still get in to the full-time game (possibly even the Football League again). Gillies had his opportunity with Carlisle and has probably realised that the chances of another FL club coming in for him are slim at 26/27.

The issue is, is if Beck wants to go back being full-time, then there will be 2 clubs at this level next season that will be able to offer him this and pay decent money (Harrogate & Salford). You also look at York coming down as a possibility for him. It's a different ball game to the levels we have come from where we were a huge fish in a small pond.

If Beck is happy working full-time & playing part-time for us then great, but I doubt - at 23 - he has those aspirations.
Be very suprised if Salford would be interested. It's not there game. As for Beck, is this guesswork that all these pro teams are interested in him? He's scored 14 goals in a team with over 70 to their name, playing every minute of every game. He's effective for us because our whole attacking game has, for the most part, been based around him.Whether he'd be afforded that luxury higher up the leagues i don't know. It was only last season he did nothing at Wrexham. Has his game developed that much with part time training, or are the defenders in this league just poorer than those he's faced previously? Think we may be overating him a little.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:23 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:If Beck is happy working full-time & playing part-time for us then great, but I doubt - at 23 - he has those aspirations.
Depends what he does for a career. The life of a professional non-league / lower league footballer isn't that glamorous. You are looking at £25k-£30k per annum max. If he has a fulltime job which pays more than that but with opportunities to progress then who knows.

I am not sure his age is the critical factor.
Age is not a critical factor, but certainly plays a part in a number of different ways.

Firstly - and this is generally speaking - the younger a player is the more likely a team higher-up is likely to invest and offer a long-term contract. This is providing that this player is talented enough of course. A club in the FL won't obviously be looking to make a financial gamble on a 27/28/29 year old, this is in terms of a transfer fee and a long-term contract, this is as the player will have probably already have hit their potential and have little sell-on value.

Secondly - it's a gamble on the players' side as well - if a player is 27+ and playing part-time then it is likely that they will have a profession as well. That's two stable incomes. Is a player likely to risk this for possibly 3/4 years playing higher up? Probably not. Especially when most clubs would more than likely only offer a 2 year contract in the first instance for the reasons outlined above.

However if a footballer is only 22/23 then a player could look at possibly having 7/8 years as a professional footballer, this is obviously much more worth the risk than a shorter career (3/4 years).

As you say, not a critical factor but I think it does have a bearing on both sides.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:28 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Be very suprised if Salford would be interested. It's not there game. As for Beck, is this guesswork that all these pro teams are interested in him? He's scored 14 goals in a team with over 70 to their name, playing every minute of every game. He's effective for us because our whole attacking game has, for the most part, been based around him.Whether he'd be afforded that luxury higher up the leagues i don't know. It was only last season he did nothing at Wrexham. Has his game developed that much with part time training, or are the defenders in this league just poorer than those he's faced previously? Think we may be overating him a little.
I think those that are suggesting he might sign for a FL team in the summer might be over-rating him, as he has been released by both Carlisle & Yeovil plus he didn't do a great deal at Wrexham in the Conference National. However, from what I have seen he is a very, very good centre-forward at this level and, unfortunately for us, there looks to be at least 3 full-time clubs in this league next season he could realisitically sign for (York, Harrogate & Salford). In fact, if York came down they would be daft not to sign him.