Wednesday night..

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Phlash
Team Supported: Darlington

Wednesday night..

Post by Phlash » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:47 pm

How good do we think the attendance will be? First match under the lights against a team we should be steam rolling. Hopefully the rain will stay away!

darlo reborn

Re: Wednesday night..

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Why should we be steamrolling them there are no easy games in this league.
I`m expecting a tough game as they won at weekend and will be full of confidence given our home form lately

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:43 pm

They have brought in a new manager and signed at least a couple of players.This will be no pushover but should still get the 3 points, 2-0 Darlo .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 pm

I get the whole no easy games thing but in reality this is a game 1) we should expect our players to deliver a win. 2) it's an opportunity to top up the gd tally.

Altrincham are where they are for a reason. They have had a terrible season. Barely into double figure points. Lots of goals conceded. They won last weekend against a worcester side who have lost players due to slashing the budget mid season. So I would expect us to deliver a win against them too. Stalybridge will be a tougher test. But if we have any hope or chance of that final play off spot we need to send out a message against Altrincham and Worcester.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Can't see the crowd being more than 1300 as they'll won't bring more than a handful through. We should have a comfortable win, but we are talking about Darlo, I'll go for 2-0 win.

Phlash

Post by Phlash » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:37 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Why should we be steamrolling them there are no easy games in this league.
I`m expecting a tough game as they won at weekend and will be full of confidence given our home form lately
They've won 2 in 30 games. If we don't beat them tomorrow then we don't deserve to play in the playoffs.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:30 pm

I understand the need to show respect to Altrincham and certainly our players shouldn't be complacent.

But they have won only two league games and will be relegated. Failing to beat them at home would be hugely disappointing - there's no escaping that.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:48 pm

I'd start with Hardy tonight, probably instead of Syers. Thought he had a big impact on the game when he came on as a sub on Saturday.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'd start with Hardy tonight, probably instead of Syers. Thought he had a big impact on the game when he came on as a sub on Saturday.
Beck, Cartman, Hardy and Thompson all starting??? you playing 4-2-4

Darlo1235

Post by Darlo1235 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Does anyone know the reason the sign isn't there? Anyone spoken to the club, Will it be put back up.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:57 pm

1700 at least

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Phlash wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:Why should we be steamrolling them there are no easy games in this league.
They've won 2 in 30 games. If we don't beat them tomorrow then we don't deserve to play in the playoffs.
There are as we know from the last few seasons certain "Must win games." This surely has to be one of those? Nowhere to hide tonight Lads, let's get the job done please.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:39 pm

August seems ages ago and it was our first match of the season, but remember we only just scraped a draw at Altrincham thanks to a last minute injury time penalty converted by Galbraith. Agree with sentiments about every match is 'must win' for us to get into the playoffs at the end of this season, but let us not be complacent. Really need to bounce back and start keeping some clean sheets as well as converting more of the chances we create. As fans, we must keep the faith and get behind MG & the lads.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Looking forward to this one...

Yes, we should beat them, but a crap referee, a stupid red card for one of the players or just plain bad luck can be the difference in any match

A disciplined performance by every Darlo player tonight should be enough to beat Altrincham though

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:27 pm

3-1 and a win, that;s about the best you can say. Altrincham were poor and we didn't seem to get out of first gear. Thought Falkingham had his best game so far for Darlo and scored a pretty good first ever goal for Darlo.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Although they were poor I thought they controlled the game more than we did
Don`t know what`s happened to us lately but we can`t seem to string 3 passes together to create a bit of space for someone to run into it`s too much long ball,other sides seem capable of passing it so can`t blame pitch but 3 welcome points all the same

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:47 pm

At best a workmanlike performance, although 3 points is most welcome. Standout players were Falkingham and Ferguson. Another sloppy goal conceded though.

BM still doesn't feel anything like home, but on the plus side, the floodlights were good. And there was nobody rushing on to the pitch to put the rugby posts up as quickly as they could at the end of the game, which is something.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:05 am

Darlo started well going 2-0 up, then went into the scary deep/narrow/long ball mode. This conceded the flanks to Alty, giving them the goal and lots of chances to get in our box with the ball.

Falkingham was outstanding going up the left flank, but was stifled, like the rest, with the bunched up stuff when Darlo went narrow.

I can only assume that the narrow ploy was to give ur players a rest after the physical 10 v 12 game last Saturday.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:07 am

We were shocking. They were far far worse. 3points all that matters. Any other team and we'd have been beaten.

Falkingham was exceptional. Best game by a mile.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 am

Would like to see Josh Gillies involved more, he is a class act on his day and can give us more options, just feel we are lacking a bit of flair with our current formation.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:44 am

Agreed about the floodlights, significantly better than the floodlights at HP. Crowd was better than I was expecting, although the atmosphere was pretty flat, mainly due to the football on offer being underwhelming.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:45 am

darlo reborn wrote:Although they were poor I thought they controlled the game more than we did
Don`t know what`s happened to us lately but we can`t seem to string 3 passes together to create a bit of space for someone to run into it`s too much long ball,other sides seem capable of passing it so can`t blame pitch but 3 welcome points all the same
My thoughts too.

Alty were poor, had no cutting edge, and didn't seem to have a single player who could push them on and create something.

However for a large part of the second half they outplayed us - good job we had Falkingham/Ferguson and Beck - but what's up with the others? As they looked nervous, tired and not with it.

Ed had a good solid game though, no daft rushing out/no silly stuff.

The floodlights (as mentioned below) are definitely an upgrade from H. Park, and I thought the night time game atmosphere was good.

... And Beck's booking. We got a good view of this and it was harsh. It was a difficult ball there to be won - Beck stretched right out and got the ball, which unfortunately a split second later had the Alty players foot behind it. it was just one of those things and would have been a booking if he'd got it wrong, but he didn't - he got it right!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:11 am

al_quaker wrote:there was nobody rushing on to the pitch to put the rugby posts up as quickly as they could at the end of the game, which is something.
To be fair it's probably because there isn't anything rugby wise for a few days so they can do it at a reasonable hour.

I can sort of understand why putting rugby posts up as early as possible on the Saturday evening (when you are at the ground anyway) is more appealing than having to come in earlier the day after.

But the logical, rational reason doesn't really help the agenda does it.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:44 am

Never mind people rushing to put up the rugby posts, what about those 'fans' streaming out of the ground with 5 minutes to play? Fair enough, the game was not a great spectacle (apart from Falkingham goal and Ferguson's surge into the box which ended up in getting the penalty), but people should stay to the end - no matter how bitter. In the end it was a sweet 3 points , although again no clean sheet. Unless we resolve this issue we can't expect to make the playoffs, let alone promotion.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 am

lo36789 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:there was nobody rushing on to the pitch to put the rugby posts up as quickly as they could at the end of the game, which is something.
To be fair it's probably because there isn't anything rugby wise for a few days so they can do it at a reasonable hour.

I can sort of understand why putting rugby posts up as early as possible on the Saturday evening (when you are at the ground anyway) is more appealing than having to come in earlier the day after.

But the logical, rational reason doesn't really help the agenda does it.
No agenda, merely an observation.

Fully understand the rugby club staff may want to sort it out while they are at BM. However, there was one game where they jumped over the fence the second the ref blew his whistle. I genuinely thought there was a pitch invasion until I realised what they were doing. That was taking it a bit far - some could argue it sends out the wrong message. Hopefully one of the things that improves over time, and if so it may help BM feel more like a home for the football club.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:35 am

jjljks wrote:Never mind people rushing to put up the rugby posts, what about those 'fans' streaming out of the ground with 5 minutes to play? Fair enough, the game was not a great spectacle (apart from Falkingham goal and Ferguson's surge into the box which ended up in getting the penalty), but people should stay to the end - no matter how bitter. In the end it was a sweet 3 points , although again no clean sheet. Unless we resolve this issue we can't expect to make the playoffs, let alone promotion.
I've never left early and I never would, but re the ones who do - I hardly think their actions are going to have an adverse effect on our playoff chances.

I doubt the players even notice.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:44 am

jjljks wrote:Never mind people rushing to put up the rugby posts, what about those 'fans' streaming out of the ground with 5 minutes to play? Fair enough, the game was not a great spectacle (apart from Falkingham goal and Ferguson's surge into the box which ended up in getting the penalty), but people should stay to the end - no matter how bitter. In the end it was a sweet 3 points , although again no clean sheet. Unless we resolve this issue we can't expect to make the playoffs, let alone promotion.
Absolutely unbelievable .. Should we lock the gates, shoot those that open them ...

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:05 am

tezza wrote:
Absolutely unbelievable .. Should we lock the gates, shoot those that open them ...
Don't be silly. We should taser them instead.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:17 am

For what it's worth, I didn't think we were that bad last night - I've seen us play far worse this season. Calling us "shocking" is just melodramatic.

For the first 30 mins we were much superior against a poor team, went 2-0 up and eased off.

Our defending for their goal was woeful and I do think Hunter struggled all night.

The formation has made us look, on the whole, a bit more solid defensively but it does marginalise Cartman who just isn't as effective out-wide. He's better up front, getting into the box where his finishing is his strength.

I thought Ferguson did well and actually, based on the few games I've seen him play, I prefer him at left back over Galbraith.

Not a classic performance but we never really looked in danger of failing to win. Granted it was against poor opposition but we did what was needed, got the 3 points and we move on.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:22 am

Darlogramps wrote:
tezza wrote:
Don't be silly. We should taser them instead.
Quite right, we need all the support we can get, even if they are fickle (and probably wouldn't have left anything in their wills to the club)