Online Tickets

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Online Tickets

Post by divas » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:23 am

Voila we now have online tickets, available to all for this Saturday'a game versus Harrogate

If anyone who usually pays on the day could buy online it will help us embed the system before we need to use it for all-ticket games etc.

You can also book and pay for hospitality packages quickly and easily.

http://buytickets.at/dfcsg

Further info: http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/30800-2/

al_quaker

Re: Online Tickets

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:57 am

Great to see - hope the take up is good and that it's successful for the club

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:21 am

I'd be interested to hear feedback of anyone's experience who has purchased online

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:07 pm

haven't used it as I'm a season ticket holder, but great that we have this in place

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Unless there is a potential for a large crowd, would there be many people that would bother buying online and just pay on the gate?

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:29 pm

It's a great bit of progress, particularly for the bigger games and those over the holiday periods. Hopefully it will test well.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Unless there is a potential for a large crowd, would there be many people that would bother buying online and just pay on the gate?
Yes they would (I hope) as there are a number of reasons why this is a good idea.

*It will speed up entry to the ground, not only when there is a large crowd but at all matches.
*The amount of online sales will (once sufficient data is held) give an indication of expected attendances and will be able to be used for decisions on the amount of stewards required, whether segregation is appropriate, how many turnstiles need to be manned
*Cash handling will be reduced and if reduced far enough may have a knock-on effect on the cost of insurances for cash in transit

There are probably others too.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Unless there is a potential for a large crowd, would there be many people that would bother buying online and just pay on the gate?
Making people pay extra to buy on line ( ie the 25p admin charge) is going to put people off unless a game is likely to be a sell out.

I would suggest the club either
a) need to charge higher prices on gate than for advance tickets like many clubs do (A practice that infuriates me)

OR

b) absorb the cost into general overheads.

There are cost savings by having people purchase ticklets online- eg less staff costs, no handling of cash as transactions done electronically. This is counterbalanced by the charge payment companies make to process the charge. Businesses like to pass on the extra cost, but strangely not the savings that counter balance it.

As I typed this Allan Quatermain posted. His benefits are all for the football club and none for the customer. There is no incentive for customers to pay extra unless its a potential sell out game

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:02 pm

spen666 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote: As I typed this Allan Quatermain posted. His benefits are all for the football club and none for the customer. There is no incentive for customers to pay extra unless its a potential sell out game
But most people who frequent this board see a benefit to the football club as being a benefit to them as shareholders/members/season ticket holders/fans. Remember, you are in the minority here as you have no affiliation to the football club we all feel part of and are simply here as a minor irritant.

Speed through the turnstiles and reduced costs for the football club ARE an incentive for most fans.

If I didn't have a ST I'd certainly be buying online
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote: As I typed this Allan Quatermain posted. His benefits are all for the football club and none for the customer. There is no incentive for customers to pay extra unless its a potential sell out game
But most people who frequent this board see a benefit to the football club as being a benefit to them as shareholders/members/season ticket holders/fans. Remember, you are in the minority here as you have no affiliation to the football club we all feel part of and are simply here as a minor irritant.

Speed through the turnstiles and reduced costs for the football club ARE an incentive for most fans.

The football club will die if it only appeals to those who post on here.

The football club need to attract more fans to survive.

Sadly you have your head so far up your own arse that you fail to see that not everyone is as committed to Darlington as you are. Such insular thinking will inevitably lead to more financial problems for the club and its failure to progress.

At present significantly less than 2% of the public of Darlington and surrounding area attend games. The football club need to reach out to more. An online ticketing function is a brilliant idea, but to charge people more for it will only put the public off using it as they can pay on the day for less, if they then bother coming.

Once again, the online ticketing service is not solely aimed at those who post on this board.

You claim I have no affiliation to the football club. Well, I have been going to Darlington games as far back as the 1970s. I still do attend when their games do not clash with other commitments.

However, this is not about willy waving about who goes to what games, its about boosting income for the club and facing up to barriers to increasing income for the club

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:55 pm

You could always wear a t shirt with Spen 666 on next time you attend and we would know who the "minor irritant" (brilliant!) is.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Isn't it fairly standard to pay an extra fee when buying tickets online? If I was to go to a concert or the cinema and bought my ticket online, I'd be charged an admin fee that wouldn't be there if I bought it from the box office in person.

I appreciate in an ideal world it wouldn't be there but it's not like the club are doing something unusual here.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:39 pm

al_quaker wrote:Isn't it fairly standard to pay an extra fee when buying tickets online? If I was to go to a concert or the cinema and bought my ticket online, I'd be charged an admin fee that wouldn't be there if I bought it from the box office in person.

I appreciate in an ideal world it wouldn't be there but it's not like the club are doing something unusual here.

The club are doing nothing wrong at all, I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

Its however another barrier to people coming to games. Charging extra for the benefit of buying a ticket irritates people. There are so many other options to do on a Saturday afternoon, that the club could do without putting barriers in place.

There is a big difference between doing it when you are a monopoly supplier or are guaranteed a sell out and doing it in face of competition for peoples time and money - eg sky sports live games, Newcastle, Sunderland & Middlesborough other sporting and leisure events.

At this stage of the clubs rebuilding it needs to be removing barriers not putting them in place.

The idea of online ticketing is a big step forward. Its a shame that at the same time the club are putting a barrier in place.

The small cost of the admin fee will be outweighed by savings in staffing on match days and savings in cash handling and banking costs.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:42 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:You could always wear a t shirt with Spen 666 on next time you attend and we would know who the "minor irritant" (brilliant!) is.
Every time in last few seasons I have attended, I have worn a top with Spennymoor on it. Strangely apart from the Manager and coaching staff no one has commented on it.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Probably think you're a scout as you're so knowledgeable.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:20 pm

An interesting debate, specifically around "admin fees" which I totally get. We've tried to keep them as low as possible and are only just covering costs.

The comparison with cinema and gigs etc is an interesting one. Most of the time you have little option but to buy a ticket online and pay these often exorbitant fees as that's the only way you can get a ticket and guarantee entry. With a non all-ticket game at DFC it's much different as you're effectively guaranteed entry anyway.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Just as a counter point of view. I currently live and work in London, unfortunately means I can't get to see darlo as much as I would like, but when I do get back to the north east I will always try and make sure it is on the weekend of a home game.

While most games it is common to pay on the gate there have been occasions over the past 3-4 years where I have had to put a mate or family member out and ask them to go and queue to get me a ticket for a game. The opportunity to buy online makes perfect sense. Means I don't have to find a cash point on the way to the game or get someone to go and get a ticket for me. Very happy to pay the admin cost for this convenience and another great example of the club working to improve customer experience. Long may it continue.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 pm

divas wrote: An interesting debate, specifically around "admin fees" which I totally get. We've tried to keep them as low as possible and are only just covering costs.

The comparison with cinema and gigs etc is an interesting one. Most of the time you have little option but to buy a ticket online and pay these often exorbitant fees as that's the only way you can get a ticket and guarantee entry. With a non all-ticket game at DFC it's much different as you're effectively guaranteed entry anyway.
Very true, although, for gigs in particular, there seems to be a culture of pre-purchasing tickets even if the event isn't going to sell out.

Be interesting to see what the take up of online Darlo tickets is for games which won't sell out, as I'm sure for big games people will use the system regardless of an admin fee - 25p is considerably less than a lot of fans would pay in petrol and parking to go a buy a ticket!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 pm

spen666 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Isn't it fairly standard to pay an extra fee when buying tickets online? If I was to go to a concert or the cinema and bought my ticket online, I'd be charged an admin fee that wouldn't be there if I bought it from the box office in person.

The club are doing nothing wrong at all, I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

Its however another barrier to people coming to games. Charging extra for the benefit of buying a ticket irritates people. There are so many other options to do on a Saturday afternoon, that the club could do without putting barriers in place.

There is a big difference between doing it when you are a monopoly supplier or are guaranteed a sell out and doing it in face of competition for peoples time and money - eg sky sports live games, Newcastle, Sunderland & Middlesborough other sporting and leisure events.

At this stage of the clubs rebuilding it needs to be removing barriers not putting them in place.

The idea of online ticketing is a big step forward. Its a shame that at the same time the club are putting a barrier in place.

The small cost of the admin fee will be outweighed by savings in staffing on match days and savings in cash handling and banking costs.
It's not a barrier to people attending games. It's a barrier to people buying tickets online.

Those who don't want to pay the fee can still pay at the gate. For the more popular games they'll just be taking their chances as to whether or not they get in - just like those who don't commit to a season ticket or a supporters group membership also take their chances.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:09 pm

spen666 wrote:
Allan Quatermain wrote:
spen666 wrote:

The football club will die if it only appeals to those who post on here.

The football club need to attract more fans to survive.

Sadly you have your head so far up your own arse that you fail to see that not everyone is as committed to Darlington as you are. Such insular thinking will inevitably lead to more financial problems for the club and its failure to progress.

At present significantly less than 2% of the public of Darlington and surrounding area attend games. The football club need to reach out to more. An online ticketing function is a brilliant idea, but to charge people more for it will only put the public off using it as they can pay on the day for less, if they then bother coming.

Once again, the online ticketing service is not solely aimed at those who post on this board.

You claim I have no affiliation to the football club. Well, I have been going to Darlington games as far back as the 1970s. I still do attend when their games do not clash with other commitments.

However, this is not about willy waving about who goes to what games, its about boosting income for the club and facing up to barriers to increasing income for the club

Think you should be more worried why a Spennymoor crowdfunding appeal to buy seats for the main stand only has around 10 donators, one of whom contributed £1000 of the £1200 raised so far. Brad won't be too happy.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:56 pm

I've bought a ticket online, yes the fee of 45 ain't ideal but if we don't support these things then I won't happen at least the club/supporters club are listening .. The only gripe I have is you put ur name address etc in then on the payment page you do it again, slightly annoying... But well done everyone

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 pm

It gives exiles and those living outside the town boundary an equal chance of purchasing tickets for specific games when previously not easily available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:37 pm

I bought 20 tickets for the rugby league at Anfield and paid £1.50 total I think to have them sent to me. I bought an AC/DC ticket outside the Etihad that was about £7 for the booking fee. I don't think 25p-45p will be a problem for anyone wanting to buy online.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:07 pm

25p is a LOT cheaper than driving to the ground to buy tickets for the majority of fans.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:38 am

I think it's universally accepted that for all ticket games the online facility will be much cheaper and easier for the majority of fans.

It's getting people to use the facility, which will be beneficial for the club, for games which can be paid for on the day.

There are a few things that can be trialed though once the concept has hopefully been proved to work on Saturday.

If people who don't have a season ticket could stand the admin fee and help us test things on Saturday it will have greater reaching benefits

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:10 am

Will this online ticketing facility allow priority groups (ST holders and SG members) to by tickets before general sale for big games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:06 am

liddle_4_ever wrote:Will this online ticketing facility allow priority groups (ST holders and SG members) to by tickets before general sale for big games?
Good question :think:
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

divas

Post by divas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:46 am

divas wrote:I think it's universally accepted that for all ticket games the online facility will be much cheaper and easier for the majority of fans.

It's getting people to use the facility, which will be beneficial for the club, for games which can be paid for on the day.

There are a few things that can be trialed though once the concept has hopefully been proved to work on Saturday.

If people who don't have a season ticket could stand the admin fee and help us test things on Saturday it will have greater reaching benefits
Yes it will.

It will also allow combo ticketing offers such as family tickets etc.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:56 am

I think this is a great idea and the admin fee is fine. One question please if you buy a ticket and the game is cancelled, and you cannot make the rearranged date, will there be a refund facility?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:23 am

I think it's a great idea in principle. What isn't clear to me though, is how does it work? Is it click and collect? Or do you print your own ticket? Is there an option for either?

Also, couple of bits of feedback. 1) how can you charge a fee on 0 for an under 5. I know it's only 25p, but that needs addressing... 2) I can't see any information about this on the official website?

I think it's a great thing to do, as you can promote it through social media and potentially reach people who are casual fans who when the day rolls around might not bother. Obviously if they've bought their ticket in advance they're locked in. Definitely a great thing to offer, i'd assume it doesn't run to a loss or anything with the fees :thumbup: