Name Change

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Name Change

Post by AndyPark » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:12 pm

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/nam ... a-council/

Find out 3rd April if we go back to Darlington FC and get rid of those horrible digits.

al_quaker

Re: Name Change

Post by al_quaker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:56 pm

It was the FA council who rejected it last time, so I'm not getting overly excited just yet!

http://www.thefa.com/news/2014/May/21/f ... me-changes

Slightly ambiguous, but it could be read that last time the council followed the recommendations of the membership committee, so hopefully the fact that that committee has approved it this time will help create a different outcome. Fingers crossed...

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:37 pm

To be honest, if they approved Maidstone and Farsley (or was it Frickley?) and Newport changing back to their original names after 5 years - and they all went properly bust - I can't see how they can deny us.

Especially after we settled the football creditors and some of the non football creditors as well.

Doubly especially as 99% of fans want the old name back, or should I say be allowed to rightfully use the name that we bloody own.

If they were to turn this down, you'd have to say it was deliberate trolling.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:50 am

Quakerz wrote:To be honest, if they approved Maidstone and Farsley (or was it Frickley?) and Newport changing back to their original names after 5 years - and they all went properly bust - I can't see how they can deny us.

Especially after we settled the football creditors and some of the non football creditors as well.

Doubly especially as 99% of fans want the old name back, or should I say be allowed to rightfully use the name that we bloody own.

Agree

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:10 am

Can't believe some people seem to be more interested in the change of the name, than what's happening on the pitch, issues with the new ground or even fundraising. The name change will happen sometime soon hopefully, but if it doesn't it won't be the end of the world will it?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:53 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Can't believe some people seem to be more interested in the change of the name, than what's happening on the pitch, issues with the new ground or even fundraising. The name change will happen sometime soon hopefully, but if it doesn't it won't be the end of the world will it?
I'm not even sure where to begin with this post. There's hardly been a lot to talk about with the other 3 topics you've suggested are more important, whereas there was some big news out regarding the name reversal application yesterday.

If it doesn't happen, of course it won't be the end of the world, but it'd a spit in the face to all the fans who worked incredibly hard and raised hundreds and thousands of pounds we raised to ensure our club didn't die. Those numbers to me are also a constant reminder that the FA sided with one man over an entire fanbase. A reversal of that would be a huge step in the right direction.
Quakerz wrote:To be honest, if they approved Maidstone and Farsley (or was it Frickley?) and Newport changing back to their original names after 5 years - and they all went properly bust - I can't see how they can deny us.

I sincerely hope you are right, and the rational part of me agrees. It's just the "Darlo fan" part of me which expects everything to go wrong...!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:22 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Can't believe some people seem to be more interested in the change of the name, than what's happening on the pitch, issues with the new ground or even fundraising. The name change will happen sometime soon hopefully, but if it doesn't it won't be the end of the world will it?
Pete - I think you're confusing this with us not having some DFC signs dotted around the club. THAT is not the end of the world. The bollocks numbers after our rightful name IS.

Unless of course you liked us being fucked over by the FA despite us taking the moral high ground and paying as many creditors back as possible.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:39 am

Unbelievable.

Playing in Darlington, at an appropriately graded conference/L2 ground, named Darlington, is the culmination of getting back to where we left off - rightfully recognised as the same club, at the same sort of level that we've always been at. It will also be one in the eye for Radged Strings.

If we achieve those things but have to stay as Darlington 1883 then the job will not be complete and although we'll have bust a gut and spent a lot of fans money to get back to where we belong, it will not be the same, we'll be viewed as a different club. To me that makes everything pointless.

The name change is more important than promotion right now.

Darlington 1883 just reminds me of being shafted by the FA, reminds me of the home in time for tea league and the unprovoked trolling we suffered, reminds me of being in exile at a water polo stadium which now suddenly has the best bloody pitch in the NE...shall I go on?

It'll never go away until we're Darlington.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:57 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Unbelievable.

Playing in Darlington, at an appropriately graded conference/L2 ground, named Darlington, is the culmination of getting back to where we left off - rightfully recognised as the same club, at the same sort of level that we've always been at. It will also be one in the eye for Radged Strings.

If we achieve those things but have to stay as Darlington 1883 then the job will not be complete and although we'll have bust a gut and spent a lot of fans money to get back to where we belong, it will not be the same, we'll be viewed as a different club. To me that makes everything pointless.

The name change is more important than promotion right now.

Darlington 1883 just reminds me of being shafted by the FA, reminds me of the home in time for tea league and the unprovoked trolling we suffered, reminds me of being in exile at a water polo stadium which now suddenly has the best bloody pitch in the NE...shall I go on?

It'll never go away until we're Darlington.
And again. This. In spades.

The symbolism of the numbers is significant. As we gain more and more promotions, our club name becomes more visible across the UK and beyond. The numbers - as Quakerz says - remind me of the pitchfork waving leagues who have team names seemingly made up of random letters and numbers.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Firstly, prior to your post I hadn't seen any declarations from anyone that they considered the name change a higher priority than those issues you listed.
Secondly, are you suggesting that the Football Club shouldn't have bothered to announce the news?
I thought it was an important announcement because it let the 600+ members of DFCSG that voted in the ballot that their efforts mattered, alongside the support received from Supporters Direct and the Football Supporters' Federation.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Thank the lord as a fan run club we have people of the highest calibre possible setting our strategy and operations. As opposed to someone querying where the moon is in the sky.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Can't help feeling Pete has got the bites he wanted.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY