Cartman Tweet

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Sidarlo
Team Supported: Darlington

Cartman Tweet

Post by Sidarlo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:21 pm

Could be in regards to anything but ..
The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are

AndyPark

Re: Cartman Tweet

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:24 pm

Could be anything, might be something in his home life & nothing to do with football.

But I imagine we will see; did hear rumours of him leaving though. Hope this is wrong.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:56 pm

Sidarlo wrote:Could be in regards to anything but ..
The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are
~It's a quote by J.P.Morgon, some famous American banker from years ago - he also said " You can't unscramble eggs " which even Darlogramps couldn't argue with. :o
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:42 pm

He can't be too happy being on the bench, but I guess he hasn't been consistent enough in front of goal this season. If Gray wants a new striker Cartman will be gone. He's always worked within the budget, so one in, one out. Personally, I think we need more pace up front, well, more pace all over the team actually.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:38 am

Cartman is by far our best striker.

I'd be bitterly disappointed if he goes.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:11 am

Beano wrote:Cartman is by far our best striker.

Better than Beck? Can't agree with you I'm afraid.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:20 am

Yarblockos wrote:If Gray wants a new striker Cartman will be gone. He's always worked within the budget
Yeh. Always.

coles

Post by coles » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:

Totally disagree Pete, for me Beck is one dimensional he is a target man nothing else Cartman is much more intelligent he is a fox in the box but his link up play is also excellent no coincidence that since we lost Armstrong carts has struggled Beck does a job but for me teams have worked him out

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:55 am

Spot on coles,defences have our style sussed now, just put a couple of tall centre backs against us and we struggle, our central defenders are up supporting Beck from set pieces and we are wide open ala Curzon.Would much prefer a total change and have Nathan and Hardy starting and use Beck as an impact sub.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:57 am

coles wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Totally disagree Pete, for me Beck is one dimensional he is a target man nothing else Cartman is much more intelligent he is a fox in the box but his link up play is also excellent no coincidence that since we lost Armstrong carts has struggled Beck does a job but for me teams have worked him out
Don't think enough people give Beck credit for how good he is with the ball at his feet. It's certainly not his fault the ball arrives to him 8 feet in the air. Certainly been one of our best and most consistent performers this season.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:35 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Spot on coles,defences have our style sussed now, just put a couple of tall centre backs against us and we struggle, our central defenders are up supporting Beck from set pieces and we are wide open ala Curzon.Would much prefer a total change and have Nathan and Hardy starting and use Beck as an impact sub.

Impact sub, you've got to be having a laugh :roll:

Beck is leading scorer with 12 goals, so on target for 18-20 goals, has a physical presence which unsettles defenders, and his knockdowns and lay offs find their man more often than not, which is unusual for a target man at this level.

You can't play Cartman and Hardy together against big, tough, organised defences because they wouldn't get a kick. Both are better off playing next to a bigger player who they can feed off.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:40 am

JE93 wrote:
coles wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Don't think enough people give Beck credit for how good he is with the ball at his feet. It's certainly not his fault the ball arrives to him 8 feet in the air. Certainly been one of our best and most consistent performers this season.
Fully agree - Beck is not just a target man, and he's comfortably been our best striker this season. He's going to struggle if all we do is launch the ball to him, as that's incredibly easy to defend.

I like Cartman, and I think he's a good player. However, he has barely scored this season. His all round play is good, but is it good enough to justify a spot as a striker if you're barely scoring? One for MG to decide. Saying that, I do hope he stays, and that the goals recently kick start his season.

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:50 pm

I'd hate for him to go too.Top lad.
Bet Halifax would snap him up like a shot.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:07 pm

Take your point Quakerz, not having a go at Beck as he is a threat but would like to see how Carts and Hardy get on for a few games and play to feet more obviously completely altering our style of play, worth trying but cannot see MG taking Beck out.Priority obviously is clean sheets as rarely do we fail to score.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:09 pm

I think when you're comparing Beck and Cartman you shouldn't say who is better, but who is more effective. I find Beck more effective

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:34 pm

With the way we set up to play, Beck is bound to be more effective. When he plays, Cartman has to do all the running of the channels now, and all the closing down, as Beck does neither to any great extent. As such, Cartman is bound to score less goals. Armstrong was more mobile, and shared the load to a greater extent, and Cartman was more effective as a result. Personally, I find Beck rather weak at times, when faced with defenders who aren't intimidated, as per Saturday, and when he's not winning his headers, I don't think he offers a lot else. But you won't see him subbed.

Now Denton isn't getting a game at Halifax (and how they've improved for playing the ball on the deck for a change), would it be a surprise for Gray to go the whole hog, and swap him for Cartman?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:34 pm

Would be gutted if Denton came as a swap for Nathan, interesting that Halifax have picked up with a change in playing style, that was my point earlier, why not give it a go, nothing to lose.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:49 pm

We love Carts and he loves us. I think, at least.

So I'd be surprised if he announced he wanted to leave on twitter. And disappointed.

Hopefully it's nothing.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Quakerz wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Spot on coles,defences have our style sussed now, just put a couple of tall centre backs against us and we struggle, our central defenders are up supporting Beck from set pieces and we are wide open ala Curzon.Would much prefer a total change and have Nathan and Hardy starting and use Beck as an impact sub.

Impact sub, you've got to be having a laugh :roll:

Beck is leading scorer with 12 goals, so on target for 18-20 goals, has a physical presence which unsettles defenders, and his knockdowns and lay offs find their man more often than not, which is unusual for a target man at this level.

bga wrote. We have maybe been to different games this season (I have seen 7 featuring Beck) but I have to disagree with your claim more than 50% of his knockdowns and lay offs find their man more often than not. I can only comment on what I have seen which is we often lose the ball more from this tactic than retain possession.

I do agree his physical presence is a threat and goals per game ratio is good. If only he could find a Darlo player more often!
You can't play Cartman and Hardy together against big, tough, organised defences because they wouldn't get a kick. Both are better off playing next to a bigger player who they can feed off.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:48 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Armstrong was more mobile, and shared the load to a greater extent, and Cartman was more effective as a result.
In the division below of course. Teams are far more organised at this level including some that are full time.
I think you have rose tinted glasses somewhat. Beck is just as effective as Armstrong was but at a higher level.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:11 pm

This is a far tougher league than the one we have just left it`s the equivalent to some of the players who started with us going from league 2 to the premiership in 4 seasons in some respect

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:36 pm

We have got to get back to how we were playing pre Harrogate mixing it up with a bit of direct play as well as at times good flowing passing football.

For me get Falkingham back into the middle with Turnbull, Gillies and Thommo out wide and let them dictate the play with the ball rather than Browny and Burgess launching it forward.

Cartman for me is essential in this his movement, workrate and holdup play bringing the midfield into the game is excellent. The only thing letting him down has been the number of goals he has scored, however if we get back on it I believe he will bag a few before the end of the season. The only thing he does lack is pace.

We haven't become a bad team over night iron a few things out at the back, possibly bring in a more mobile experienced centre half but in the mean time be more disciplined and stop Browny and Burgess constantly over committing at every set piece, corner and throwins, this for me is where we are extremely vulnerable. Rant over

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:51 pm

How can anyone criticize the little fella, he's not getting full games as he was ,so chances to score are a lot more limited, wouldn't criticize him at all he's done a great job so far ,long may he stay and perform for us, he will score more goals for us this season given the chance.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:05 pm

quakerste wrote:
For me get Falkingham back into the middle with Turnbull, Gillies and Thommo out wide and let them dictate the play with the ball rather than Browny and Burgess launching it forward.
Problem with that midfield four is we might never have the ball to dictate anything. All individually good players, but together too weak for this league, IMO.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:59 am

m62exile wrote:
quakerste wrote:
Problem with that midfield four is we might never have the ball to dictate anything. All individually good players, but together too weak for this league, IMO.
You've hit the nail on the head, M62. Our gung-ho 442 is leaving our defence exposed time and time again.

We either signing a nasty bugger or two, or change shape.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:25 am

loan_star wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Armstrong was more mobile, and shared the load to a greater extent, and Cartman was more effective as a result.
In the division below of course. Teams are far more organised at this level including some that are full time.
I think you have rose tinted glasses somewhat. Beck is just as effective as Armstrong was but at a higher level.
Our goals for tally, and the for and against in the division as a whole, suggests defences are not as organised as you're making out. Who knows how Armstrong would have done. I wasn't hankering for him specifically, I was pointing out that his game suited Cartman more.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:57 am

darlo reborn wrote:This is a far tougher league than the one we have just left it`s the equivalent to some of the players who started with us going from league 2 to the premiership in 4 seasons in some respect

We went to the Spennymoor/Coalville game a week last Saturday.

It was a good game (especially with a 40/1 bet on 5 nil :D ) and S'moor looked well organised and efficient, however you could tell the quality of the opposition was nowhere near what we are now faced with, week after week - and we seem run down by it all.

We started off bright enough this season but the slump now must be getting M.G. and team concerned - a few of our players (not Cartman) look to me to be out of their depth.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:01 am

Happens all the time - newly promoted teams start the season well because confidence and momentum is high. After a while reality bites.

Remember, this team, on and off the pitch, has never had to deal with a serious loss in form/confidence and so have little experience in turning things round.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Yarblockos wrote:He can't be too happy being on the bench, but I guess he hasn't been consistent enough in front of goal this season. If Gray wants a new striker Cartman will be gone. He's always worked within the budget, so one in, one out. Personally, I think we need more pace up front, well, more pace all over the team actually.
Purewal, Dowson, Armstrong, Gaskill and maybe Hardy out.

Not so able to rotate strikers nowadays.

Beck seems to be an ever present, when maybe more guile than strength is needed in a front two.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Beck seems to be an ever present, when maybe more guile than strength is needed in a front two.
How can Beck possibly be the problem? We are actually still scoring goals (well he is) - we are just shipping more than we score - when until this point we have just outscored other teams.