The way we set up.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

The way we set up.

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:51 pm

That was a tricky Saturday and have been thinking all weekend as to an answer and I’m struggling, I think Gray is too. We have tried out a few formations and personnel. So thought I’d chuck a couple of alternatives out there. In contrast to previous seasons I think we have a rather unbalanced squad. We used to have a squad made up of 1 x every position with a couple of utility players to slot in.

It’s hard to see a better back 4 at the club than Marrs, Burgess, Brown, Galbraith. You can make a case for Hunter (adds a bit of strength and speed). Upfront we don’t have many options, Beck (though I don’t like the direct football I can see why it’s happening) and Cartman (who I do like). Midfield seems to be an issue. If you accept we play a 4, I don’t think many people would pick the same 4.

When I look at the players then I think you want to try and find a way to have Turnbull, Gillies, Thompson & Syers in the team, but that just leaves the defenders stranded. So you try to force in a Scott / Falkingham for some cover, but still with the two wide players we are really vulnerable, so you take out 1 or both of Thommo and Gillies and we look really blunt !

So I set about trying to find a way to set us up and its tough. Take mine apart by all means but be I’d be interested to see what others suggestions are.

Option 1 – we go 5 at the back

GK
Hunter Brown Turnbull Burgess Galbraith
Syers Scott Gillies
Beck Cartman

A little radical taking Turnbull out of midfield (he looks after the ball so well), but for me he seldom makes the killer ball Can we get away with him in a more ‘quaterback’ style role and at times bringing the ball forward out of defence. Without Turnbull it means Scott has a very distinct area sit and hold. At times it allows for Chris and Terry to get on and means we should never be caught with less than 3 defenders at a time. Whilst going forward Cartman works the oppo’s defence and with Gillies and (particularly Syers) we have players willing to run on beyond the forward line giving beck something to aim for with his flick ons.

Option 2 – a more rigid 442

GK
Marrs Brown Burgess Scott
Thomson Turnbull Falkingham Galbraith
Beck Cartman

With Marrs, Scott and Falkingham you get our 3 more defensive players on the pitch, supplement with Galbriath still on the pitch for set pieces (though they seem to have disappeared of late). Perhaps leaves us light upfront but Cartman covers the ground and Thommo joining may provide just enough. All about clean sheets and kicking a goal.
Last edited by BaronsCourtQuaker on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dfc4me

Re: The way we set up.

Post by dfc4me » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Option 1 won't work. We are not allowed 11 outfield players plus a keeper!

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:06 pm

dfc4me wrote:Option 1 won't work. We are not allowed 11 outfield players plus a keeper!

quite right. I meant to leave Thommo out of that. darn my cut and paste

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:24 pm

4-2-3-1 please, with one, if not two, dedicated defensive midfielders. Maybe Scott and Turnbull or a new signing, if necessary. Could then play Thommo, Syers and Gilles in the 3 behind Beck if we want attacking options.

We're going to have to get used to the pitch at BM too. It's an absolute mess, which means Beck is the best option right now, not Cartman.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Could go for something similar to the Chelsea 3-4-3 formation that has done them well this season.

GK
Hunter, Brown, Burgess
Marrs, Turnbull, Scott, Galbraith
Thompson, Beck, Gillies

Scott would be interchangeable with Falkringham. Galbraith would be interchangeable with Ferguson. then you could look at putting Syers or Cartman into the front 3.

In my opinion, I think what we really need is an experienced and vocal GK and CB who read the game well and communicate with others, but the best time to get these players is in the summer and I don't think we will do too much damage waiting till then for the right players.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:36 pm

H1987 wrote:4-2-3-1 please, with one, if not two, dedicated defensive midfielders. Maybe Scott and Turnbull or a new signing, if necessary. Could then play Thommo, Syers and Gilles in the 3 behind Beck if we want attacking options.

We're going to have to get used to the pitch at BM too. It's an absolute mess, which means Beck is the best option right now, not Cartman.
I suggested similar in the Curzon match thread. It worked well against Fylde - the best team we will face this season, with the best player we faced this season. We were solid, and created enough opportunities to win the game, and I think it puts our most talented footballers in their best positions. The BM pitch isn't great for passing football, but we don't have to turn into Barcelona - just be less one dimensional and be a bit more solid.

feethams

Post by feethams » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:22 pm

As per the Curzon thread, my shout would be:

GK
Marrs / Brown / Burgess / Hunter / Galbraith
Turnbull
Thompson / Cartman / Gillies
Beck

Marrs / Galbraith as wing backs.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:53 pm

That would leave is incredibly light in the middle of the park. Turnbull wouldn't have a hope!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:44 pm

Spyman wrote:That would leave is incredibly light in the middle of the park. Turnbull wouldn't have a hope!

What about Ferguson 3rd best footballer at the club and probably the only one we could eventually sell on.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Option 1 for me. Play the Brian Little way in 1990-1. If Turnbull can play the Mick Tait way with the occasional 25 yarder then I'll be happy. You don't get many Mick Taits though.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Spyman wrote:That would leave is incredibly light in the middle of the park. Turnbull wouldn't have a hope!

Agree,we need a big horrible b......d as a holding midfielder who breaks play up.

That would allow Turnbull to do his stuff.

Not sure Gillies and Thomo can play in the same 11 myself.
Last edited by MCFCDarlo3 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:26 pm

We don`t score many 25 yarders now that we have moved up the leagues

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Wilczynski
Marrs-Hunter-Burgess-Galbraith
Turnbull-Fergueson
Thompson-Syers-Gillies
Beck

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:20 am

People must see more in Syers than I do. Never a starter for me.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:05 am

I was trying to look at how we can best use what we have rather than sign further players, as I’m not sure how much of an options that is at this stage of a season for our level. For me it’s about trying to keep us in the playoff
contention in order to keep the crowds (and me) interested for as long as possible. We then recruit with less pressure in the summer.
H1987 wrote:4-2-3-1 please, with one, if not two, dedicated defensive midfielders. Maybe Scott and Turnbull or a new signing, if necessary. Could then play Thommo, Syers and Gilles in the 3 behind Beck if we want attacking options.

I can certainly see the logic in this and your right we played really well that day, why did it change? We then did go on a run without a win in 5 mind. I think I get a little fixated in trying to get Cartman in the side. I just really like the pressure he puts on the opposition defenders when were out of possession, I think at this level defenders are defenders for a reason and your likely to turn the ball over, force errors from them.
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:People must see more in Syers than I do. Never a starter for me.
I hear what you’re saying about Syers. In his general play I have yet to be overwhelmed (though he hasn’t had a lot of opportunity), yet every time he is on the pitch he comes very close to scoring a goal, was inches away on Saturday at the back post. For me he seems (perhaps in hope) a really good option of a late arriving midfielder who can help chip in with goals and.

It is interesting though that there seems to be a lot of different views on the best 11 and how to set them out. I’m not sure anyone knows our best 11 including Gray.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:34 am

According to the OS, Syers has scored 5 league goals since he came in, in 4 starts and 9 sub appearances. That's a decent record. It's more goals than either Thompson or Cartman, who have both played more games. So there is an argument that him playing instead of a second striker may provide more goal threat and give us a bit more solidity with an extra midfielder.

Plus his runs from midfield are something we sorely miss without Portas.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:42 pm

Don't think he offers any solidity when he plays though. Not a great tackler, and hardly gets involved, other than when he appears for a header in the box. Certainly not comparable to Portas, who does his running with the ball more often than not. Wouldn't drop Thommo or Cartman for him.

feethams

Post by feethams » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:20 pm

Good point. Maybe Falkingham in there with Turnbull :thumbup:

Drop one of the men playing behind Beck,but don't ask me who....

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:02 am

We really miss Portas rather badly.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:38 pm

After the Chorley re-jig.

Ferguson may be a long term solution for LB. At RB we have Marrs, Hunter or Falkingham.

Galbraith in midfield would be beneficial to Turnbull and have nearer to goal.

Beck playing deeper gives him more scope to do things with a ball arriving at his feet, so that he can work better with all his colleagues.

The likes of Cartman, Hardy, Gillies, Thompson operating ahead and wide of Beck should be more productive than trying to use them too deep or narrow for nod ons.

If our squad of players can get practiced with the new formation and tactics we can swap personell to suit fitness, suspensions or opposition with minimal disruption.

Pl