Darlington FC v Curzon Ashton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington FC v Curzon Ashton

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Update here please.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

jjljks

Re: Darlington FC v Curzon Ashton

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Blue skies now in Darlo, could be a good omen

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Wilcynznski, Marrs, Galbraith, Turnbull, Burgess, Brown, Ferguson, Scott, Beck, Thompson, Gillies. Subs: Cartman, Jameson, Syers, Falkingham, Saunders

Hunter, Jameson and Cartman out. Ferguson, Wilcynznski and Marrs in.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Is Hunter injured or has MG just decided not to include a defender in the subs?

woody58

Post by woody58 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Darlington FC 0 v Curzon Ashton 1

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:14 pm

1-0 down. We're consistent at letting goals in lol

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Maybe need that extra Defender after all!

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Marrs off Falkingham On

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:21 pm

2-0 Curzon. Keeper howler. Cleared a back pass straight to their player.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Blue skies here in Mauritius too. Just seen result. Bugger.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:33 pm

3-0 Curzon.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:34 pm

1-3 Cartman

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Well, that was just awful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:40 pm

That was dreadful, we only started to play once we went 0-3 down. The only players with any credit was Ferguson and MOTM Turnbull. Gray has to be under pressure to get things changed as we're shipping in too many goals. Wonder what Whitey thought in the tinshed right behind the goal?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:46 pm

I've seen us play much worse than that, but we are too one dimensional. The biggest problem is that we keep getting outnumbered at the back when teams break on us. We are still throwing too many men forward, it doesn't matter what changes Gray makes, we are getting caught on the counter attack every time.

And another thing, when did Galbraith last put in a decent set peice? We've lost one of our most dangerous weapons there.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Just suppose we somehow finished in the play offs and went up again - we would get absolutely murdered every week with that defence.

We're just terrible at the back and maybe some players are now at the absolute peak of their ability (which is no shame).

Poor Galbraith having to take corners on the right wing, if the other team breaks he's 50 yards out of position. We seem to commit too many defenders forward when chasing a goal and always get punished on the break. That, and the fact we can't defend for toffee at the best of times.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:54 pm

We got what we deserved today. You can't defend as embarrassingly bad as that and expect to get something out of a game. I think they were bordering on laughing at just how easy it was to score against us. It needs a rethink to get this tightened up, the way we are shipping goals at the moment. It looked like schoolboy stuff at times with everyone hurtling forward and then just a couple of out-of-position and outnumbered players trying to stem the tide.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:56 pm

After reading about how we've been working on defending a lot this week, that was a new low. If Curzon had attacked more, they would have had more goals for sure. Turnbull was absolute quality in amongst a dreadful team performance.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Radar

Post by Radar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Curzon were well drilled on how to contain us and dealt with all of the balls
In and around Beck impeccably. They made sure they won the majority of loose balls in and around their own box too. They soaked up the pressure and hit us on the break with the pace of Ryan Hall who we struggled with.
First goal was a catastrophic communication error resulting in Gillies glancing a header into their path and while Wilczynski did clear to their player, the back pass in my view was an absolute stitch up.
We need to keep digging in and hope we achieve a play off spot but the key is to strengthen the defence ready for next season

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Quakerz wrote:Just suppose we somehow finished in the play offs and went up again - we would get absolutely murdered every week with that defence.

We're just terrible at the back and maybe some players are now at the absolute peak of their ability (which is no shame).

Poor Galbraith having to take corners on the right wing, if the other team breaks he's 50 yards out of position. We seem to commit too many defenders forward when chasing a goal and always get punished on the break. That, and the fact we can't defend for toffee at the best of times.
We seem to throw both fullbacks forward at the same time, which is suicide. I can see how it brought great success in the Northern League, but teams are much more organised at this level and they pick us off. Saying that, we seemed to be doing well with the same tactics in the first half of the season, I presume that teams have worked us out now. Set pieces were our most dangerous weapon, now we seem completey ineffective from them.

Wainy247

Post by Wainy247 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:06 pm

OK, too much vino already after a 3-1 defeat but can anyone with more football intelligence than me explain why Cartman didn't start? With the defence we have at the moment the only hope is all-out attack, especially at home against a mid-table side.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm not sure if it's why Thompson started up front over Cartman, but the brutal truth is that Cartman has not been scoring enough this season.

Hopefully the couple of goals in the last couple of weeks will boost his confidence and he can become a regular scorer again.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Attendance down again and another piss poor showing.Time to face up to the fact that the Claggy Glue League team isn't up to it anymore.Mid table finish is beckoning,which is actually no great disappointment after the rise we've had,but as has been said above the end of the road is here for some.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Wainy247 wrote:OK, too much vino already after a 3-1 defeat but can anyone with more football intelligence than me explain why Cartman didn't start? With the defence we have at the moment the only hope is all-out attack, especially at home against a mid-table side.
Its not so much a hopeless defence as an absent one. At times today we were left with either Scott or Turnbull as last man. Turnbull is a great player but has no real pace and Scott is a bloody bodybuilder who's never going to out run anyone. I'm not sure we have any pace at the back anyway.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:2-0 Curzon. Keeper howler. Cleared a back pass straight to their player.
I think you might change your mind when you see the backpass on the highlights.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Maybe this is just part of the levelling that had to happen at some point. Both with players and tactics. We have lads still with us from NL days who perhaps are hitting their ceiling. MG may also have to think a bit more about plan B's so the team can combat new challenges.

This could be the season where things start to change. Martin's reaction to defeats up to now (in the main) has been to try improve the attacking aspect of the team - and why not - in past seasons it's worked. Nip out and sign a profilic striker.

I wonder if that has simply posed opposition teams with a fresh problem, diverted their attention to solving handling a new striker. It's also perhaps negated our need to rethink team tactics - meantime, new striker plays and we get back to winning ways.

Let's see how Martin and the management team react to today's result. Will it be transfer activity or focus on training and tactics.

As many folk have already said it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world going up this season for all manner of reasons, so easier to swallow the bad results just now.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:20 pm

The problem for me is that what we have seen today has been on show for a while now, since harrogate away I reckon.

But there has been little effort to shore up the defence.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Defence simply isnt good enough. Brown and Galbraith for all they have done well in previous seasons, have both rose up from the northern league and are starting to be found out, same with Scott, these would make decent squad players at this level but to push on we need to be bringing in improvements on these players, out of todays starting back 4 id say there is only Liam Marrs who is at the level we need (when fit). Gray has continually improved of our attack, now is the time to focus on the defence and build us a solid back 4

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:24 pm

shawry wrote:The problem for me is that what we have seen today has been on show for a while now, since harrogate away I reckon.

But there has been little effort to shore up the defence.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I'm sure there's been plenty of effort, they've constantly worked on things in training, changed shape, done things differently but the end result is still the same unfortunately.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Where were Walker today??