The home of DFC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Undercovered
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The home of DFC

Post by Undercovered » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Undercovered wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Remember we are sharing that facility on matchdays with the rugby club also it is not our exclusive facility which we people still don't seem to understand.
A shared facility would of course, have no problem with signs saying it was the home of the football and rugby clubs. You don't seem to know what sharing means.
I didn't see too much Darlo based memorabilia at Bishop where we were also paying a rental to use the facility. Things will happen gradually over time, we must be patient and stop trying to force things and stamp our feet which will only serve to make things worse.
Bishop was always short term. This is supposed to be our home for at least the next 20 years.
So there's plenty of time to put our mark on the place then.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:06 pm

lo36789 wrote:But it's signs at the end of the day. I am sure if we bought a few pop up things we could throw them out but in terms of priority;
a) it's maybe not what we want to spend money on right now
b) it's definitely not the priority action right now
There is a sign there already made, provided by league sponsors Vanarama, but the club haven't been allowed to put it up.
From what I understand the rugby club don't want any permanent football club signage other than sponsor boards. They say the Vanarama sign can go up on match days but needs taking down after every match. The sign is too big to do that with and is not the sort that can be put up and down easily anyway.
It may not be a priority to you but there is a sizeable number of people who feel we should be able to have some sort of identification up showing that this is indeed our permanent home now.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Would the council let us put the sign up on Grange Road where it wouldn't be on rugby club property and would be more visible to passing people than at the ground itself

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:55 pm

All these snippets of info coming from the rugby club are a concern, catering issues, bar access, this signage problem and do we have any say in the state of that pitch, surely it needs cutting back, far too long.I just wonder if they are a little envious of all the publicity we have had and the big crowds attending our games.Are Wilkinson and co reminding us that we are just the tenants and that we have little say in any issues.Really hope this is not the case but a bit worrying at such an early stage.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm

loan_star wrote:
lo36789 wrote:But it's signs at the end of the day. I am sure if we bought a few pop up things we could throw them out but in terms of priority;
a) it's maybe not what we want to spend money on right now
b) it's definitely not the priority action right now
There is a sign there already made, provided by league sponsors Vanarama, but the club haven't been allowed to put it up.
From what I understand the rugby club don't want any permanent football club signage other than sponsor boards. They say the Vanarama sign can go up on match days but needs taking down after every match. The sign is too big to do that with and is not the sort that can be put up and down easily anyway.
It may not be a priority to you but there is a sizeable number of people who feel we should be able to have some sort of identification up showing that this is indeed our permanent home now.
Worrying really that there is this much issue with simply putting a sign up somewhere. I could understand their issue if we were wanting to replace all the rugby signs with football ones, but this just seems beyond petty. Obviously BM is the rugby club's, but there has to be some recognition that it's our home now too, otherwise bad feeling will develop. Clearly there are some within the rugby club who don't want us there. Real shame, but hopefully these issues can be overcome - for the benefit of both clubs.

No issue with rugby being played in the bar - hopefully the marquee will be more of a football bar (if of course the rugby club let us)

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:40 pm

loobyloo wrote:Having a pint in the bar after the game a few of us commented on the fact the big screen was showing a rugby match. No sign of sky sports or any football results.
To be fair they had Skysport news on for about 20 minutes after the game finished but soon reminded us where we were by putting rugby on :(

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:02 pm

The spurs game was also on in the lounge before the game.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:10 pm

The rugby club need to realise, that without the football club, the rugby club is on borrowed time. They're doing nothing on the field and very little off it. Our relationship with them is a marriage of convenience. We need each other to survive and move forward.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:01 pm

I'd say the logical solution would be for joint signage with the names of the football and rugby clubs on the same board.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:56 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:I'd say the logical solution would be for joint signage with the names of the football and rugby clubs on the same board.
I'm afraid I disagree. The only reason being that this would cost and it seems like a stupid cost. Why would the rugby club pay for a new sign when they have one

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Who seriously gives a fuck about a sign
Think before posting

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:55 pm

It's not just about the sign, it's about the whole attitude of the rugby club towards the football club and yes the sign is a part of that.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:07 pm

How dare a rugby club put rugby on their TVs .

I seriously can't see the issue whatsoever over a sign.
If it costs £1+ to put up the sign , I'd sooner the money was put towards something actually worthwhile .
Think before posting

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:14 pm

BUSHEAD wrote: I seriously can't see the issue whatsoever over a sign.
See, it really concerns me. If the rugby club are, allegedly, going to be so petty as to refuse us a sign stating that we play at BM too, then I am concerned about the long term viability of the relationship between the two clubs. It's not about the sign really - it's about the (alleged) attitude that it reveals.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:43 pm

It's give and take, if the RC don't want a sign up , then so be it.
Fight battles which are worth it. A sign hardly warrants a big kerfuffle .
Think before posting

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:48 pm

Basically, we are at Blackwell Meadows for life now, barring some Darlo fan winning EuroMillions.
The two clubs will learn to co-exist given time.
If Darlo FC fans really wanted to make themselves heard towards the rugby club, they could become DRFC members, and if enough did, simply overthrow the existing committee, board etc of the rugby club at AGMs
Think before posting

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:08 am

BUSHEAD wrote:It's give and take, if the RC don't want a sign up , then so be it.
So we 'give' up the sign. Tell us what battles are worth fighting then, and what exactly are the rugby club 'giving up'?

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:21 am

Yarblockos wrote:
BUSHEAD wrote:It's give and take, if the RC don't want a sign up , then so be it.
So we 'give' up the sign. Tell us what battles are worth fighting then, and what exactly are the rugby club 'giving up'?
Teams playing on the main pitch is a much more important issue than a sign.
Think before posting

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:31 am

Yarblockos wrote:

Tell us what we should do then?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:47 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Dunno these weren't really battles but negotiations. We thought the pricing structure was unfair, so we asked and that changed. We thought that the access to the bars should have been opened up and it has been.

I don't really understand why anyone has to give up anything, or we need to have battles? I just happen to think there are considerably more important things right now than getting into any sort of lengthy debate about a sign.

If the board have their focus on anything but the below then I'd be questioning their prioritisation;
> Complete the AGM. I would have to spend a fair bit of time just training myself to take a breath and think before answering so not to insult the person asking another completely immaterial question. You have just delivered the project to bring the club back to Darlington and then you get asked why there is no football on TV.
> Launch the next stage of fundraising for Blackwell Meadows
> Capitalise on the commercial revenues now available from being home
> Change the pitch (re-surface with grass which is resilient for both rugby and football)

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 am

lo36789 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Dunno these weren't really battles but negotiations. We thought the pricing structure was unfair, so we asked and that changed. We thought that the access to the bars should have been opened up and it has been.

I don't really understand why anyone has to give up anything, or we need to have battles? I just happen to think there are considerably more important things right now than getting into any sort of lengthy debate about a sign.

If the board have their focus on anything but the below then I'd be questioning their prioritisation;
> Complete the AGM. I would have to spend a fair bit of time just training myself to take a breath and think before answering so not to insult the person asking another completely immaterial question. You have just delivered the project to bring the club back to Darlington and then you get asked why there is no football on TV.
> Launch the next stage of fundraising for Blackwell Meadows
> Capitalise on the commercial revenues now available from being home
> Change the pitch (re-surface with grass which is resilient for both rugby and football)
Your last 3 points rely to some extent on an open, positive & fair relationship with the rugby club. One in which both clubs work together to the benefit of all.

Some of the issues have been discussed on here, others I've heard about privately, and all of them point to the fact that the rugby club wish to take the maximum possible £££ from DFC but at the same time offer minimum cooperation.

Yes some of the issues are small, like the sign, but they illustrate the overall problem.

The actions of the rugby club (or at least some who work for it) don't give me a massive amount of confidence going forward. That said it is early days and people are always wary of change so perhaps in time the relationship will improve.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:40 am

Nail on head Robbie.

We shouldn't really be having to fight for a sign - it has almost zero impact on the rugby club ( as long as we're not wanting to move their signs). Doesn't fill me with hope of any bigger changes which may be required e.g. pitch

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:49 am

Robbie Painter wrote:...

Some of the issues have been discussed on here, others I've heard about privately, and all of them point to the fact that the rugby club wish to take the maximum possible £££ from DFC but at the same time offer minimum cooperation.

I am sure that DFC want to pay the minimum possible £££ to DRFC and obtain the maximum co-operation.

That is normal in any relationship

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:07 am

spen666 wrote:I am sure that DFC want to pay the minimum possible £££ to DRFC and obtain the maximum co-operation.

Not in a happy marriage it isn't ....
and not in some of the more important business issues I've had and have.

Mutual cooperation, fairness, value for money, respect and stuff like that come to mind.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:49 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
spen666 wrote:I am sure that DFC want to pay the minimum possible £££ to DRFC and obtain the maximum co-operation.

Not in a happy marriage it isn't ....
and not in some of the more important business issues I've had and have.

Mutual cooperation, fairness, value for money, respect and stuff like that come to mind.

Its not a marriage, its a business relationship and part of that is negotiating what is best for your party. It works 2 ways. Those on football club want to pay nothing and get everything and those on Rugby side want to give nothing and charge the earth.

It would be poor businessmen who do anything different.

The important thing is to negotiate from those starting positions to obtain a mutually beneficial outcome.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:05 pm

Thank you once again Spen for your endless words of wisdom, haven't you a job to do or your own club to support/comment on?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:27 pm

With regard to the sign that the club already have, its a Vanarama sponsored sign paid for by Vanarama as part of their deal with the league. I'm sure they wont be happy about a sign that every club is meant to display is gathering dust where it gives them no exposure at all.
As it stands it feels like we have made the equivilent of a block booking of the Dolphin Centre, we turn up at midday and have to be out by 7pm before someone comes round tapping on their watch....

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:37 pm

spen666 wrote:It works 2 ways. Those on football club want to pay nothing and get everything and those on Rugby side want to give nothing and charge the earth.
The way you describe things is lopsided, daft and not helpful.

Reasonable sensible adults trying to reach a good working relationship won't want to "pay nothing and get everything", "or give nothing and charge the earth"

The two clubs in question here aren't managed by six year olds.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:38 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Thank you once again Spen for your endless words of wisdom, haven't you a job to do or your own club to support/comment on?
Given he's libelled various people on here in the past, demonstrated that he has very little knowledge of the world of law he claims to work in and only posts to wind up Darlington fans, it's a wonder he's allowed to post here at all.

Then again, when the mods allow him to get away with it, we shouldn't be surprised.

So for now, we have to put up with his bitter, cauldron-stirring nonsense.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Henley

Post by Henley » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:44 pm

If the arrangement between both clubs was not one based on friendliness and mutual cooperation to achieve the best for both parties then I don't foresee a cordial long-term relationship.

Whilst not wanting to be accused of bias, I think the football club has set the right tone but I'm concerned by some of the rumoured (in)actions of the rugby club. They're going to have to remove any shoulder chips for this to work smoothly.