The home of DFC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Neil Johnson
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The home of DFC

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Put some road signs on lamp posts and just use the football club's tented bar.

Car Parking next to the Rugby Clubhouse is NOT designated for DFC supporters. It is for other users of the BM Facilities (e.g. rugby, hockey, junior football). Maybe some sponsors and DFC staff have designated parking slots though.

Disabled drivers could do with some designated slots in the DFC car park, but that should be relatively easy to organise.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:21 am

After being delighted to see a sign was put up earlier in the week, proudly stating BM was too the home of the football club, it appears that it's been taken down again.

Wonder what's prompted its removal....

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:22 pm

If you look closely at the picture on Twitter the sign appears to have been put up over the main exit gates!! Could this be why it has been removed?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:22 pm

al_quaker wrote:After being delighted to see a sign was put up earlier in the week, proudly stating BM was too the home of the football club, it appears that it's been taken down again.

:think: :shh:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:23 pm

dfc4me wrote:If you look closely at the picture on Twitter the sign appears to have been put up over the main exit gates!! Could this be why it has been removed?
The sign is in two pieces, the gates work perfectly fine.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:55 pm

al_quaker wrote:After being delighted to see a sign was put up earlier in the week, proudly stating BM was too the home of the football club, it appears that it's been taken down again.

I was actually surprised that sign went up - apparently it is getting some stick because it says Darlington FC and not Darlington 1883.

I'll be honest I am a bit uneasy it said/says welcome to Darlington FC - I do think welcome to the home of...that would have been a lot more accurate.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:19 am

If it had said Darlington 1883, then it would have had to be replaced to Darlington FC in the very near future, when our name officially changes back.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:06 am

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather have a sign along the lines of Welcome to the home of Darlington RFC and Darlington FC, showing both of our club emblems.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:21 am

I would also like to see a sign saying welcome to Darlington rugby and football club at the main entrance thought it would be in place on opening boxing day but it did not happen. The first day was not a pleasant welcome from rugby staff which concerned me, but improvements are occurring, lets not get off our heads over moving a sign , partnerships take a while to develop.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Bit of a clash next week, we're at home to Brackley and England kick-off against Ireland at I think 16-30. It'll be interesting to see, if we're made welcome in the bar at half-time?

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Bit of a clash next week, we're at home to Brackley and England kick-off against Ireland at I think 16-30. It'll be interesting to see, if we're made welcome in the bar at half-time?
DP you are full of s*** the 6 nations are equivalent to the euros or world cup embrace where we are instead of moaning about it. Quaker Retail and fans table now in the downstairs bar apparently something else you are your like said wouldn't happen!!
Get behind the club rather than be happier carping against it.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:38 pm

That kick offs half an hour after half time ends!

Henley

Post by Henley » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 am

Does anyone know if those in hospitality for the Darlo match can remain in the clubhouse for the Ireland v England game?

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Henley wrote:Does anyone know if those in hospitality for the Darlo match can remain in the clubhouse for the Ireland v England game?
Yes you can,and I will be too, but we may have to move into downstairs bar after HT :thumbup:

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Good to see the sign up today.

Interesting that the only change was the removal of "FC" from it....

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:28 pm

al_quaker wrote:Good to see the sign up today.

Did the original sign not say, "Welcome to the home of...Darlington FC"?

If so, I can see why DRFC requested for the wording to be changed.

Great to see QR have their own space indoors also.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

What's wrong with FC?
What's wrong with saying Darlington FC?
Is it not our home?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

It said "Welcome to Darlington FC". Now it says "Welcome to Darlington". The only change being the removal of the letters FC.

I don't mind the change actually. I just think it's revealing that there's plenty of references to the rugby club around BM (and rightly so - it is their home), but we're not allowed a sign explicitly referencing the football club.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:32 pm

al_quaker wrote: I just think it's revealing that there's plenty of references to the rugby club around BM (and rightly so - it is their home), but we're not allowed a sign explicitly referencing the football club.
That's what I mean. What's wrong with the letters FC?

"This is the home of Darlington" - to me it looks like an unfinished sentence.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Of course it should say Darlington FC, welcome to Darlington means nothing whatsoever, sounds like Wilkinson nit picking yet again

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Henley

Post by Henley » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Are the toilets in the clubhouse as they are to remind us of Feethams? What a pen and ink.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:09 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

What's wrong with FC?
What's wrong with saying Darlington FC?
Is it not our home?
Of course it is, but it's also DRFC's too. And I can see why a relatively large "welcome to Darlington FC" sign would get a few peoples' backs up.

Personally, it's not something that would bother me.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:38 am

Easily resolved Welcome to the home of DARLINGTON RUGBY & FOOTBALL CLUB.

coles

Post by coles » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:14 am

quakerste wrote:Easily resolved Welcome to the home of DARLINGTON RUGBY & FOOTBALL CLUB.
this is exactly what we said yesterday a little bit of give and take

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Of course it should say Darlington FC, welcome to Darlington means nothing whatsoever, sounds like Wilkinson nit picking yet again

Wilkinson speaks on behalf of the members of DRFC, not from his own point of view. The issues we are having are mainly coming from his membership.

Indeed, after the Altrincham match there was an issue regarding the overnight storage of some equipment and after an impasse between DFC & DRFC staff, Wilkinson resolved the issue to the benefit of the football club.

Please don't think I'm becoming an apologist for the rugby club but the blame needs to be spread more widely rather than unfairly at a single individual.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 am

coles wrote:
quakerste wrote:Easily resolved Welcome to the home of DARLINGTON RUGBY & FOOTBALL CLUB.
this is exactly what we said yesterday a little bit of give and take
Indeed. The rugby club seem to want all the benefits of a ground share (money), with only the bare minimum of give.

There was literally nothing wrong with the original sign. Darlington FC do play at BM, so having a sign explicitly stating that is absolutely fine. It wasn't going to go over a rugby club sign, it wasn't replacing one of the rugby club signs - it was in addition to the ground to show that the football club also play there now. The fact that they are only happy with an ambiguous sign says a lot about the membership of the rugby club. Nobody is going to think it's only a football ground because of one sign saying that the football club play there - the signs at the entrance, and the painted "The home of Darlington RFC" on the clubhouse side facing the pitch ensures that people know it's also a rugby ground (and I have no problem with those - it is their home).

Joint signage would be a superb way to go, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:18 am

What`s to stop a lot of football fans becoming a member of the rugby club then voting things our way!!!!!!! bit nitpicky really but just a thought

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am

Allan Quatermain wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Of course it should say Darlington FC, welcome to Darlington means nothing whatsoever, sounds like Wilkinson nit picking yet again

Wilkinson speaks on behalf of the members of DRFC, not from his own point of view. The issues we are having are mainly coming from his membership.

Indeed, after the Altrincham match there was an issue regarding the overnight storage of some equipment and after an impasse between DFC & DRFC staff, Wilkinson resolved the issue to the benefit of the football club.

Please don't think I'm becoming an apologist for the rugby club but the blame needs to be spread more widely rather than unfairly at a single individual.
But it's a serious indication of an underlying trend since our move "home". What happened to the football club-run refreshments tent that used to be opposite the main entrance gates, now replaced by the DRFC hut? The commercial deals would make interesting reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 am

QuakerPete wrote: But it's a serious indication of an underlying trend since our move "home". What happened to the football club-run refreshments tent that used to be opposite the main entrance gates, now replaced by the DRFC hut? The commercial deals would make interesting reading.
The tent was the rugby club's too I thought?

Certainly would be interesting reading - the next fans forum, whenever it may be, is going to be very highly attended..

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 am

People wanted a proper concession hut there now is one and another planned for next season. We now have full access to the bars with no marquee planned. The sign on Grange is changing and apparently will refer to neither sport just welcome to Blackwell Meadows. I stayed in the bAr after the match and it was the first time it felt more like home and yes there were horrible rugby people in there as well!! And you know what we actually had some good banter. We Are a tenant and until we have our own home and as fans funded club that will never happen just embrace where we are and stop all the moaning.