The home of DFC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The home of DFC

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:05 pm

1,750+ was about right today, and expected.

If it was a Halifax, Harrogate, FCUM, Stockport or Kidderminster then we'd be looking at somewhere closer to 2,000.

But given that Curzon Ashton brought about 50, it's January, and a lot are struggling through to pay-day, then I thought that the attendance was decent.

I expect that gates will pick up in April over 2,000+.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:1,750+ was about right today, and expected.

If it was a Halifax, Harrogate, FCUM, Stockport or Kidderminster then we'd be looking at somewhere closer to 2,000.

But given that Curzon Ashton brought about 50, it's January, and a lot are struggling through to pay-day, then I thought that the attendance was decent.

I expect that gates will pick up in April over 2,000+.

:clap: :thumbup:

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:44 pm

The parking problem was sorted within a couple of weeks so no blame just a learning curve for all concerned. All I can say it was great to see the bar full before and after the game today where both clubs earn out of the relationship. It sounds like both clubs are talking and listening to each other it's now up to us as fans and Darlington businesses to get on board and use the facilities. To have a company like Turner &Townsend sponsoring the match today shows how far we have come so long may it last.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:21 pm

That was still a good gate , Curzon hardly getting the pulses racing and I bet that beat all but 3 or 4 in the league above.Anything around 2000 at our level at this stage of the season is really good and I would guess only FC United and Halifax have bettered our gate today.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:28 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:That was still a good gate , Curzon hardly getting the pulses racing and I bet that beat all but 3 or 4 in the league above.Anything around 2000 at our level at this stage of the season is really good and I would guess only FC United and Halifax have bettered our gate today.

FC scum over 4100, 1000 sal£ord fans

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:30 am

I'm afraid to say crowds will not increase this season with what has been on show over the past few games. Fc United will bring a few but other than that 1700 is the best we can hope for unless we can stop this season from petering out.

HarrytheQuaker

The home of DFC

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:04 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:That was still a good gate , Curzon hardly getting the pulses racing and I bet that beat all but 3 or 4 in the league above.Anything around 2000 at our level at this stage of the season is really good and I would guess only FC United and Halifax have bettered our gate today.

Will Altrincham get the pulses racing in our next home game after yesterday, the pitch is not very good and we just have to deal with that as it's the same for the other team..
Last edited by HarrytheQuaker on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:56 am

quakerste wrote:I'm afraid to say crowds will not increase this season with what has been on show over the past few games. Fc United will bring a few but other than that 1700 is the best we can hope for unless we can stop this season from petering out.
Spot on. You can't expect crowds to pick up, when they're offered the standard of football that was on offer yesterday. Improve of our standard of play and get a few results together and then the crowds will come back. If we don't then crowds will drop to around 1500 I'm afraid.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:48 am

Who are these fans who could be bothered to make the trip to Bishop but because we are not winning will stop coming?

In fact who are these fans who don't come because we are not winning full stop? I understand that you encourage new fans through good performances and entertaining games but once they are with you then you'd expect a bit more resilience.

Besides it's not like the other teams aren't providing some entertainment value at the moment either!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:23 am

lo36789 wrote:Who are these fans who could be bothered to make the trip to Bishop but because we are not winning will stop coming?

In fact who are these fans who don't come because we are not winning full stop? I understand that you encourage new fans through good performances and entertaining games but once they are with you then you'd expect a bit more resilience.

Besides it's not like the other teams aren't providing some entertainment value at the moment either!
Big drop from the 3000 opening game to yesterday's 1700

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:25 am

Doesn't take long for the fucking negativity to kick in does it? 4 games back in Darlo and a poor run of form over 10 games after 4 glorious seasons

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:31 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Who are these fans who could be bothered to make the trip to Bishop but because we are not winning will stop coming?

Were you expecting something different?

In Bishop we would have probably got about 1,100/1,200 we expected an increase of around 500 on average and looks like that's what we will get.

I remember over 11k v Kidderminster opening of stadium and pretty sure we didn't get 11k every week after that game. :think:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:37 am

If people thought we would get 2.5k/3k fans watching Darlo v Curzon in a ground with no spare seats, flat standing in about 2/3rds of the ground, on a not so great run of form during a cold/wet January day then I hope they never plan our budget for the season.

It is what it is and in all fairness it's pretty decent, we will average around 1800 this season which is 40%+ on last season. Whinging not enough people won't get more people to the match, many past chairman will vouch for that.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:43 am

I thought it was a decent crowd considering the circumstances - poor form, unappealing opposition, cold + wet, and at the time of year when some have very little spare cash.

Had we been allowed to put our sign up yet?

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:56 am

al_quaker wrote:I thought it was a decent crowd considering the circumstances - poor form, unappealing opposition, cold + wet, and at the time of year when some have very little spare cash.

Sign mentioned at the AGM, no issue with rugby club, just need to sort out where to put it where it won't break due to the elements (high winds etc)

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:07 am

Undercovered wrote:
al_quaker wrote:I thought it was a decent crowd considering the circumstances - poor form, unappealing opposition, cold + wet, and at the time of year when some have very little spare cash.

Sign mentioned at the AGM, no issue with rugby club, just need to sort out where to put it where it won't break due to the elements (high winds etc)
Thanks.

Strange how plenty of other signage has gone up. Maybe this one is particularly brittle. Anyway, I look forwards to seeing it up soon.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:17 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Were you expecting something different?

In Bishop we would have probably got about 1,100/1,200 we expected an increase of around 500 on average and looks like that's what we will get.

I remember over 11k v Kidderminster opening of stadium and pretty sure we didn't get 11k every week after that game. :think:
I were expecting that I got shot down last year when I said we would not get 2500 every week , a lot of people on here said it were a certainty when we returned home... I truely wish we would get over 2000 every home game but let's face it we are where we are and I'm sure we will make the best of it

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:30 am

We missed the years that Hereford are having when they are winning most weeks 5/6 nil and the home town got right behind them, sadly we were over in Bishop. Our return home has seen us hit a level where they are probably about 7 clubs better financed than us, we have also removed 50k (500 club) from our budget every season and still need to spend more on the ground.

If we finish 8th say and average 1,750 then that has been a good season, whilst I want us to make the playoffs and think we possibly could but I would guess it would be an overachievement.

Fylde, Kidderminster, Stockport, Halifax, Salford, Harrogate all would have bigger budgets, however they all seem to get loan players who are decent at this level. I can't remember when we got a loan player who was better than the standard, probably Ramshaw/Taut at the time.

I don't see the point whinging we didn't get 2.5k just have to build on what we have and try to increase revenue streams where possible.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:17 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote: I were expecting that I got shot down last year when I said we would not get 2500 every week , a lot of people on here said it were a certainty when we returned home... I truely wish we would get over 2000 every home game but let's face it we are where we are and I'm sure we will make the best of it
I still think we will average 2,000 this season for the games at BM, and I think we will average 2,000 next season so long as we're in contention.

It is not necessarily the case that yesterday's crowd of 1,761 is how it is going to be going forward, or worse - although if the team play like yesterday there's no incentive for fair weather fans to attend.

I will hold my hands up and say I was over optimistic with my crowd expectations though, I mean I thought we'd sell out the 2nd match because of all of the people who missed the first match for instance.

I also failed to take into account the damaging effect that 4 years out of town has done to our core and latent fan base.

We have not had the advantage of starting the Northern League at home in a ground big enough, like Chester and Hereford had, and they're certainly not bigger clubs than us. I'm sure we'd have been playing to 3,000 every week in the NL if the town rallied round the fresh start.

So personally I'm slightly disappointed by the crowds, but at the same time they've still been much better than what we've had in the last couple of seasons.

Onwards and upwards.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 am

Had the chance to attend my first game at Blackwell Meadows yesterday, Il be honest it's not my sort of stadium. I prefer being right on top of the action, the drop off from behind the goal is not for me and I felt detatched from the game which maybe wasn't a bad thing with the performance yesterday! I don't have a pint or get food at games so can't comment on that, just the overall match experience I didn't enjoy at all. It won't put me off attending any future games that I can, I support Darlington and will pay to watch us play anywhere but can see why the floater fan would be put off not returning.
I know our hands were tied and financially it's what we can afford, just giving my opinion on my experience yesterday.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:12 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

FC scum over 4100, 1000 sal£ord fans
980 of those Salford fans are Man Utd fans with nowt to do on a Saturday

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:12 pm

You could stand along the sidelines?

I don't think it's that disappointing... I do think there's an issue with the ground though. It badly needs improvement as too much of the view is restricted. That, more attractive opposition and better results will all help.

I'd like to see the details of the next fundraising drive soon, and what improvements are planned!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:41 pm

We still have higher attendance than all of national
South and higher average than 14 teams in national league.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:43 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:We still have higher attendance than all of national
South and higher average than 14 teams in national league.
Better than that according to the stats:

http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/natnorth/attendances

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:17 pm

The floater fans are par for the course with most clubs. I think with Darlington it is higher than average as demand for tickets for play offs has demonstrated. The ground for me as a physical facility has long term potential although it is seriously compromised by the restricted viewing on the club house side. The dugouts need to be lowered otherwise we're going to disappointing the floater fans who may come to the marquee games. A bigger challenge is whether we have the will to budget based on games like yesterday or wrongly punt on some potential spike in attendances. My take is that attendances will normalise around 1800 as personally I have never felt the trip to Bishop was quite the obstacle stated. The evidence I have heard for higher crowds has been largely anecdotal and IMO not that compelling. Would a fan wait 5 years for a 13 mile return. 1790 is a decent gate as long as we budget for it and makes far more comfortable viewing. The ground simply can't accommodate on many levels a gate of 3k. That's the harsh truth with/ without segregation one side largely redundant On a positive note I do detect that the profile of the crowd has changed with a larger youth element. For me, that is as big a reason to move to BM as anything.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:27 pm

Where's the beer tent thought it were going to be erected by the end of the month???

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:44 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Where's the beer tent thought it were going to be erected by the end of the month???
Don't think it's needed now that we have access to the main bar.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:34 pm

First time I have been in bar nice to see certain beer on offer does it vary each time ?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:37 pm

Good to see the footle halftime scores on the big screen in the bar and serving alcohol for the first time as well.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:45 am

I was including all the teams in the division above.