Darlo v Gloucester Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Gloucester Match Thread

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:28 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote: Galbraith deserved his man of the match award. His free kick deliveries in to the box were inch perfect and his overall competence in the game was obvious.
Not one to criticise too much but I thought the opposite of Galbraiths set pieces today, most of them were off the mark. Given the high standards he usually sets I'm not going to complain about the occasional duff ball.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Looking at the other attendances from today ours was 800 above nearest one so things still look good

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Poor game really, but we desperately needed a win today, and it doesn't matter how it comes. The clean sheet will hopefully do wonders for the confidence of the defence too. Gloucester were awful! Pitch didn't help - not sure what we can do this season, but hopefully we can adapt soon.

Shame we still haven't got a sign up saying BM is our home too - rumours are the rugby club won't let us. Unless we're wanting to put it up over rugby club signs, then I can't really see why they would object to that. Hopefully the two clubs can sort it out - there's been some good improvements in the 3 games we've been there, but there's clearly still a lot of work to do on the relationship.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:48 pm

Solid performance and a good win against a very defensive team. Gloucester came for the 0-0, one man up front, very compact, difficult to break down.

Substitutes changed the game, we got a bit wider, they got a bit tired and we managed to create and take a couple of chances. Good day at the office.

Crowd was fine, like SLM says earlier we'd have been looking I think at 1000-1100 today I'd have thought through at Bishop. Mid table opposition, January, cold weather, game in doubt etc. Maybe I thought we'd be bit closer to 2000 but overall its a step forward. Good that the tin shed woke up for the last quarter, I think it helped.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Absolutely turgid game. Very little football played. Walker looked like a little boy lost. Will give him a chance, but Saunders showed more last week. Why not just give him a chance? Least it was a win and a clean sheet, but not a game to live in the memory.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:01 pm

lo36789 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:can't believe people thought we we're gonna hit over 2000 each game
think can't believe is a bit far. All other clubs who have gone into fan ownership, been exiled and returned home have had an uplift in crowds. Both relative to their pre-return home crowds and their pre-fan ownership crowds.

Don't know why we would be different to the norm.
To be fair, a lot of exiled clubs had suffered a decline in attendances year on year.

We broke that trend in 2015/2016 with a 18% increase, and then this year at Heritage Park with a 32% increase on our average last season.

Had we not broke that trend then our uplift would have been significantly higher that what is currently is.

Today's attendance of 1,837 was decent. Darlington FC v AFC Wimbledon on 08/01/2011 attracted 1,705 home fans as a comparison.

Sadly January is a long month for some with getting paid early in December & after Christmas & New Year. You partner that with a freezing temperature, losing our last home game and a less than glamorous opposition then around the 1,850 mark sounds about right.

I'm hopeful of some 2,000+ attendances in our last few home games in April + the Harrogate game.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:33 am

Crowd was what I was expecting, as we have been on a poor run of form and fans will find excuses not to go down. I believe it is only a temporary dip and crowds of 2000 will be the more frequent, than crowds below 2000 going forward from now.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:44 pm

darlo reborn wrote:The run of form we have been on would have put a few off and also know a few people who say they are waiting until everything settles down after negative feedback from first game
Really?? People actually don't go to games because of that? That's one of the lamest excuses I've ever heard. Surely you just go to watch the football?
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

bga

Post by bga » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:00 pm

quakersam wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:The run of form we have been on would have put a few off and also know a few people who say they are waiting until everything settles down after negative feedback from first game
Really?? People actually don't go to games because of that? That's one of the lamest excuses I've ever heard. Surely you just go to watch the football?
Agree Sam they are probably waiting until the club can give an assurance the queue for the toilets will be no more than 3 mins max. Real fans than or Bull......ters?

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:09 pm

quakersam wrote:
Yes, but if you're returning because we are back in Darlo, then largely speaking if we are in a perceived form dip then why would they come when there has been the viewing issue, the car park issue.

Essentially you are talking about people who for the most part haven't been following Darlo for a few years.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 pm

shawry wrote:
quakersam wrote:
Yes, but if you're returning because we are back in Darlo, then largely speaking if we are in a perceived form dip then why would they come when there has been the viewing issue, the car park issue.

Essentially you are talking about people who for the most part haven't been following Darlo for a few years.
Well these are the "people" who will always find an excuse no matter what.
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes they are the people who have never been to Bishop to watch us but now we are back in town they are the sort of people we are trying to attract which we will only succeed by having the right facilities and a team not in the middle of a bad run

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:44 pm

The pitch really is going to be a problem for the rest of the season. It will also put some fans off because we may have to resort to a more direct game. I found this season that our tactics have been mixed. Some good football on the good Bishop pitch together with some direct stuff. We do get some joy from Marrs and Galbraith's diagonals.

Not a great game. Thought their tactics were awful. Really negative and started wasting time from a few mins in. Shouted and screamed for everything, it was pathetic at times. Although i respect their players for thanking the fans, I wouldn't be happy travelling 7/8 hours for that performance.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:00 pm

My first visit to BM.

Ground is brilliant,bar before v good.Impressed that we sold bottles in there too.

Pitch is awful and needs work,so difficult to play good football on that.

Game was turgid as someone has said but 3 points is 3 points.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:50 pm

D_F_C wrote:The pitch really is going to be a problem for the rest of the season. It will also put some fans off because we may have to resort to a more direct game. I found this season that our tactics have been mixed. Some good football on the good Bishop pitch together with some direct stuff. We do get some joy from Marrs and Galbraith's diagonals.

Not a great game. Thought their tactics were awful. Really negative and started wasting time from a few mins in. Shouted and screamed for everything, it was pathetic at times. Although i respect their players for thanking the fans, I wouldn't be happy travelling 7/8 hours for that performance.
So you expected a team on possibly a worse run of form than us, and who struggle for goals regularly, to come at a team who, for all our recent poor form, still score consistently. Despite it being clear from recent games that if you play it tight against us, we struggle to break you down. As for the shouting for everything, get used to it, because if we get any higher, it will be ptetty much the norm.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:55 am

Again, some positive points and some negative ones. Well done to the ground staff for getting it on in the first place, would have been doubtful if at HP. Does anyone know if they used the pitch covers?

Still too many long balls hoofed up to Beck, and Lewis had as little luck as anyone else in getting the knockdowns. Turnbull's goal came from an intelligent ball placed out wide, Cartman running at the defence, an early cross and well-finished from edge of the box.

Nearly as good was the clean sheet, partly thanks to Jameson who managed to keep his concentration and seemed to be making more of an effort to communicate with the back 4. Well done lads, and more of the same as last 20 minutes and the crowds will come back.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Did cars get to leave the car park earlier on Saturday, than the previous week?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:18 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
D_F_C wrote:The pitch really is going to be a problem for the rest of the season. It will also put some fans off because we may have to resort to a more direct game. I found this season that our tactics have been mixed. Some good football on the good Bishop pitch together with some direct stuff. We do get some joy from Marrs and Galbraith's diagonals.

So you expected a team on possibly a worse run of form than us, and who struggle for goals regularly, to come at a team who, for all our recent poor form, still score consistently. Despite it being clear from recent games that if you play it tight against us, we struggle to break you down. As for the shouting for everything, get used to it, because if we get any higher, it will be ptetty much the norm.
That's not what I'm saying and you know it. What I'm saying is that we've played against plenty of teams this season at home and they were the most negative I've seen and baring the Lancaster away game a couple of years ago where they were time wasting after 4 minutes, I thought it was a bit over the top. After 60 mins and being 0-0 then fair enough but they slowed it down from 10 mins in. I admit we didn't help the cause with no ball boys

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Quick piece on the game.

https://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/2017/ ... -analysis/

Honestly for the majority of the game don't think we were great, last 15/20 minutes were fantastic, Cartman and Thommo made the difference. Before that couldn't see how we were going to score.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:31 pm

I suspect there will be some more pacy play planned for the BM games, with a more concerted attempt to score first.

Saunders & Walker may be a sign of MG wanting to up the tempo to take the early initiative in games.

Without scoring first it will continue to be hard to break the tight defences at BM this season.

If Walker struggles, there could be another speed merchant signing.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:I suspect there will be some more pacy play planned for the BM games, with a more concerted attempt to score first.

Saunders & Walker may be a sign of MG wanting to up the tempo to take the early initiative in games.

Without scoring first it will continue to be hard to break the tight defences at BM this season.

If Walker struggles, there could be another speed merchant signing.
Lewis Hamilton perhaps ? F1 season doesn't start till end of March :D

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Walker didn't strike me as particularly quick and surely we always try really hard to score first.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Walker didn't show any signs of outright pace last Saturday, but it's very unfair to right him off after just one game.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Walker didn't strike me as particularly quick and surely we always try really hard to score first.
Nah, I prefer those games where we set out to go two goals down early on.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:00 pm

It's always more fun to come from behind, rather than blow a lead.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:It's always more fun to come from behind, rather than blow a lead.
What you get up to in your own time is your business, Pete.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC