Lewis Walker

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DFCAnth
Team Supported: Darlington

Lewis Walker

Post by DFCAnth » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:14 pm

http://mobile.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2 ... 16806.aspx

Signed from Derby on loan, son of Des Walker and was with Ilkeston last season.

lo36789

Re: Lewis Walker

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:42 pm

not a defender like his dad though!

DL5

Post by DL5 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:11 pm

His dad might get a game if he turns up

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:31 pm

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 pm

DL5 wrote:His dad might get a game if he turns up
Perhaps it is a buy one get one free deal? Anyway, looks like he has potential but I still think our forwards are lacking a supply from midfield.
Also glad Jameson has some competition..... :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:53 am

Walker now looks like he's replaced Hardy, who's gone to Buxton on loan.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:54 pm

I don't like putting the lad down after a 60 min appearance but I don't think he is better than Hardy, yes he is young and it's his 1st appearance but we have had other strikers who in there 1st game have made an impact, ie Gas , Wardy , Hardy.. Early days I know I hope to see him bang a goal in or two..

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:22 am

Give the lad a chance, apart from the defence nobody covered themselves in glory up until when he went off. Putting him down after seeing him for 60 minutes is a bit OTT.

coles

Post by coles » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:51 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Give the lad a chance, apart from the defence nobody covered themselves in glory up until when he went off. Putting him down after seeing him for 60 minutes is a bit OTT.
Lacked a little bit of heart and belief for me today started brightly enough bit faded quickly. Might just be inexperience and maybe some nerves so will give him the benefit of the doubt but should not be starting ahead of carts

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:16 am

He looked like what he is, a kid playing in a man's game. Didn't come to terms with the strength or the speed of the game. I don't know how long it will take him to adjust, but clearly if he performs like that he can't be in ahead of Cartman.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Yarblockos wrote:He looked like what he is, a kid playing in a man's game. Didn't come to terms with the strength or the speed of the game. I don't know how long it will take him to adjust, but clearly if he performs like that he can't be in ahead of Cartman.
Afraid I've got to agree with this.If yesterday was the lads standard I would much rather see young Saunders ,a home grown prospect,get a chance and he certainly shouldn't be starting ahead of Carts,or Hardy for that matter.
On the other hand he might have been nervous and could turn out to be a superstar.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Would prefer we give Our Youth a chance not someone who is only here for another 26 days! (Please score a hat trick on Saturday and prove me wrong!)

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Some good moments yesterday, but he looked a little off the pace. Probably quite a change from the type of football he's been playing for Derby's youth team. Hopefully a couple of training sessions (I presume we train twice a week now? ) - if he's training with us - will help get him up to speed.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:14 pm

bga wrote:Would prefer we give Our Youth a chance not someone who is only here for another 26 days! (Please score a hat trick on Saturday and prove me wrong!)
That's the point we have Saunders who has pace and what I've heard did really well on loan at Ryhope scoring a few times, it just a little odd we bought in another young lad and not give him a chance..

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:20 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
bga wrote:Would prefer we give Our Youth a chance not someone who is only here for another 26 days! (Please score a hat trick on Saturday and prove me wrong!)
That's the point we have Saunders who has pace and what I've heard did really well on loan at Ryhope scoring a few times, it just a little odd we bought in another young lad and not give him a chance..
the new lad should be given time as it was his first game and wholly new environment. The lad will benefit from the experience. He certainly has a good touch and some nice footwork.

On a more general point, not relating to Walker, I'm not sure academy football provides a complete platform without some experience of adult football. The Dutch have a motto that good footballers demonstrate TIPS (Technique, Intelligence, Personality and Speed). It is the P part I have my reservations about with academies. Playing football against your won age group in artificial games is a far cry from the full-bloodied stuff.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:35 pm

I thought that he did OK. Probably what you would expect really from a young lad with little experience at this level.

I don't think that Gray sees him as the full package, which is probably why he also tried to bring in another forward last week (who went elsewhere). But someone that is a little different to what we have currently.

Hardy seemed to offer us that at the beginning of the season (very sharp and quick) but he has faded significantly since for whatever reason.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:I thought that he did OK. Probably what you would expect really from a young lad with little experience at this level.

I don't think that Gray sees him as the full package, which is probably why he also tried to bring in another forward last week (who went elsewhere). But someone that is a little different to what we have currently.

Hardy seemed to offer us that at the beginning of the season (very sharp and quick) but he has faded significantly since for whatever reason.
Not getting much gametime perhaps?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:26 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:I thought that he did OK. Probably what you would expect really from a young lad with little experience at this level.

Not getting much gametime perhaps?
Possibly, but could also be down to fitness.

He has played similar minutes to Cartman who has - to me - never looked like a completely different player at times.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:31 pm

There are possibilities of an extended loan if he shapes up. I suspect he was baffled to some extent by the bobbles and maybe a bit nervous in front of an expectant crowd. If he was the no. 9 who played against us for Ilkeston, he has a lot more in his locker than pace.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:There are possibilities of an extended loan if he shapes up. I suspect he was baffled to some extent by the bobbles and maybe a bit nervous in front of an expectant crowd. If he was the no. 9 who played against us for Ilkeston, he has a lot more in his locker than pace.
No he wasn't the number 9 that was ndlovu now with Brackley.
I'm afraid it's what you call old pals act I'll look after your son.
Would rather see our own youngsters given a chance young Saunders looked promising good pace,movement and touch.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:12 pm

roadrunner wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:There are possibilities of an extended loan if he shapes up. I suspect he was baffled to some extent by the bobbles and maybe a bit nervous in front of an expectant crowd. If he was the no. 9 who played against us for Ilkeston, he has a lot more in his locker than pace.
No he wasn't the number 9 that was ndlovu now with Brackley.
I'm afraid it's what you call old pals act I'll look after your son.
Would rather see our own youngsters given a chance young Saunders looked promising good pace,movement and touch.
Are Martin Gray and Des Walker 'old pals'?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Steve McClaren is Derby manager, he spent a number of games early on in the season in our directors area. I would assume that is the link if I was guessing.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Give the lad a chance, apart from the defence nobody covered themselves in glory up until when he went off. Putting him down after seeing him for 60 minutes is a bit OTT.
why hasn't he played since Pete??Image

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:32 am

Why wasn't he on against Curzon? Give the lad some playing time.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:19 am

jjljks wrote:Why wasn't he on against Curzon? Give the lad some playing time.
Someone said he has gone back don't know if that's true

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:22 am

He was warming up pre match yesterday. Saunders preferred on the bench, perhaps as he has more pace

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:28 pm

al_quaker wrote:He was warming up pre match yesterday. Saunders preferred on the bench, perhaps as he has more pace
That were the point WHY bring him in when we have Saunders, seems a strange decision

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:00 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
al_quaker wrote:He was warming up pre match yesterday. Saunders preferred on the bench, perhaps as he has more pace
That were the point WHY bring him in when we have Saunders, seems a strange decision
He might have been very good. Not every signing is going to work out.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 pm

We've a long history of bringing in players on loan, that don't work out. In fact far more seem to fail than work.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:30 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:We've a long history of bringing in players on loan, that don't work out. In fact far more seem to fail than work.
Off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty more.

Kyle Lafferty
Kasper Schmiechel
Adam Reach
David Wheater
Matthew Bates

All did well with us and went on to better things.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.