Richard Brodie

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Richard Brodie

Post by poppyfield » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 am

Would MG be after him I wonder?

York City FC 16h16 hours ago

DEPARTURE: Striker Richard Brodie has this evening left York City by mutual consent.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Richard Brodie

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:40 am

I've had a peek at Wiki - it looks as if he hasn't impressed at York -

Copied from Wiki ---- "On 17 November 2016, he joined York's National League rivals Macclesfield Town on loan until 1 January 2017, with Mills unimpressed with his fitness levels and disciplinary record.[157] Mills implied that Brodie would only be considered for selection on his return if he were to reach full fitness.[158] Brodie made his debut two days later as an 88th-minute substitute in Macclesfield's 2–1 away win over Aldershot.[122] He only made the starting line-up once for Macclesfield, with three of his four appearances for the club coming as a substitute.[122] Upon his return to York, Brodie was given permission by Mills to the leave club,[159] as he wanted to find a club where he would play more regularly.[160] He left York by mutual consent on 11 January 2017.[161]"
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

DL5

Post by DL5 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:02 pm

11 clubs since 2013 says no thanks, especially as he'll expect full time wages

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Hope not. I saw him at Tranmere for Macclesfield on Boxing Day and Steve McNulty had him in his back pocket. Spent more time moaning and conceding fouls than he did anything else.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:16 pm

lo36789 wrote:Hope not. I saw him at Tranmere for Macclesfield on Boxing Day and Steve McNulty had him in his back pocket. Spent more time moaning and conceding fouls than he did anything else.
To be fair McNulty does have exceedingly large pockets since he is a lard arse

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:16 pm

no. Defo don't want him. Looked overweight and passed it when I saw York earlier in the season

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:20 pm

D_F_C wrote:no. Defo don't want him. Looked overweight and passed it when I saw York earlier in the season
As long as he "passed it" well :lol:
However if hes "past it" then we should stay clear of him.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Said before, but I'm York based these days and have seen a fair bit of them over the last couple of seasons so here's what I've seen of Brodie.

First of all, he's VERY unfit. Think McNulty or Parkin size with a repuation for being seen munching on a pie and a pint rather than trying to actually improve his fitness. He's also a disciplinary nightmare, spitting his dummy out at even the smallest decision given against him. The amount of cards he racked up considering he was only a bit part sub at York was mental.

However, there's no doubt he's a natural finisher. If you get the ball to him in a good spot he can (somehow) turn on a sixpence and lash it in with either foot. He's also a determined player besides the indiscipline, one to fire up the other lads and get the crowd making noise.

Fans through here a really split down the middle on him being gone because of all this, as well as the fact that the manager seems to (allegedly) have some personal issue with Brodie dating back to the 10 days they were together at Gateshead.

Can see him being interested, but I don't think it's a risk worth taking personally.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:13 pm

DL5 wrote:11 clubs since 2013 says no thanks, especially as he'll expect full time wages
I doubt it.

He's played at Southport and they're hardly big payers, I think he will know that he's only getting part time wages and part time football after leaving York.

He fucked up his chance at Gateshead and there's nowhere else to go other than Darlo or Spennymoor.

His only other option would be South Shields and to be fair they're convenient for him cos he's from up Newcastle way.

He might not fancy dropping all the way down to the Royston Veysey Clown Challenge League though.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Well unlike everyone else, I'd sign Brodie in a flash.

I remember watching him play against us for Crawley and he was just quality. He just had a great presence about him.

OK that was a few years ago, and noe he's apparently unfit, but sometimes clubs rescue players from oblivion and the players get back fit and on track.

Anyone remember Gordon Watson at Hartlepool? They took a gamble and what a player he was.

Actually, Gabbiadini was almost on the scrapheap when he signed for Darlo and look how that turned out.

Bring him in - as long as it's a short term deal on appropriate wages of course.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:29 pm

I certainly think he'd be worth a go - it wasn't that long ago he was one of he highest rated strikers in non league. Bit of fitness and who knows what could happen.

Rumoured to be off to Wrexham though

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:33 pm

If we bring any type of player in, then it should be a defender and not a striker.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Doesn't strike me as the type of player that Gray would sign, nor one that would play well with Beck.

Comparing Brodie with Gordon Watson or Marco is laughable imo.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Quakerz wrote:Well unlike everyone else, I'd sign Brodie in a flash.

I remember watching him play against us for Crawley and he was just quality. He just had a great presence about him.

OK that was a few years ago, and noe he's apparently unfit, but sometimes clubs rescue players from oblivion and the players get back fit and on track.

Anyone remember Gordon Watson at Hartlepool? They took a gamble and what a player he was.

Actually, Gabbiadini was almost on the scrapheap when he signed for Darlo and look how that turned out.

Bring him in - as long as it's a short term deal on appropriate wages of course.
He still has that presence, no doubt.

Problem is York was that chance, even by his own admission. They took him from part time back to a club he loves where he's regarded as a cult figure and he still couldn't manage to pull his finger out. There's no doubting his commitment on the pitch (he goes too far if anything), it's off the pitch that's the problem.

On the flip side, he did score 7 in 19. Most of those coming from the bench. You can see from the comments how much he divided the fan base.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkci ... _consent_/
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Doesn't strike me as the type of player that Gray would sign, nor one that would play well with Beck.

Comparing Brodie with Gordon Watson or Marco is laughable imo.
Not really. I wasn't comparing him to those two and saying he is as good as them (although he IS good), I was comparing his situation to those two players situations. If people think he's past it, on the scrapheap etc, then his situation is similar.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Brodie, in part time football, would possibly be the most natural finisher available in the North. He wouldn't suit us as he won't do any running, and the way we play means he has to chase balls.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Brodie seems to be the sort who would rather play further away from home in order to earn a few more quid despite the fact it will cost him more in travelling.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Brodie has signed for Boston United.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Brodie has signed for Boston United.
Good. I just can't imagine him in a Darlo top - the way he runs around with that permanently petulant face - falling over and all that .....
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!