Tom Portas

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Tom Portas

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:35 pm

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... xd74mibe29

Out for the rest of the season, a similar injury suffered by Gary Brown in July 2013.

Such a blow, I felt like he was hitting form just before a hatchet job.

Hopefully a speedy recovery and he is back for pre-season in the summer. Out of contract as far as I am aware but I think he will be with us.

Beano

Re: Tom Portas

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:37 pm

I still can't believe the opponent wasn't sent off.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Real shame for Tom, and for ourselves. Was an awful challenge, and one which clearly should have been punished with a red card. Yet another inept referee let it go with a yellow. Staggering.

Hope he comes back as good in the summer, and I hope we stick by him if he is out of contract.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Beano wrote:I still can't believe the opponent wasn't sent off.
You do wonder whether it was management instructions with their lad just being sent on in the first half.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:46 pm

al_quaker wrote:Real shame for Tom, and for ourselves. Was an awful challenge, and one which clearly should have been punished with a red card. Yet another inept referee let it go with a yellow. Staggering.

Hope he comes back as good in the summer, and I hope we stick by him if he is out of contract.
The standard of refereeing this season has been - generally speaking - awful. I know I sound like a broken record but the standard is actually worse than last season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:20 pm

That's terrible news to hear. Hope your back next season, stronger then ever.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:That's terrible news to hear. Hope your back next season, stronger then ever.
Darlofan97 isn't Tom Portas.

The_Ozzman_Cometh

Post by The_Ozzman_Cometh » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:04 pm

I see from the report he's joined Droylsden-well we all know what a bunch of thugs they are!!
The World is Full of Kings & Queens
Who Blind your Eyes then Steal your Dreams

bga

Post by bga » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Guess it is hard to bring in a replacement (economically) as rightly so we will still have to pay his wages? Or do we need another midfielder?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:19 pm

bga wrote:Guess it is hard to bring in a replacement (economically) as rightly so we will still have to pay his wages? Or do we need another midfielder?
Do we have insurance?

I saw on twitter portas (I think it was) recently posted that he'd sorted out his own insurance for sports injuries.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:49 pm

lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:Guess it is hard to bring in a replacement (economically) as rightly so we will still have to pay his wages? Or do we need another midfielder?
Do we have insurance?

I saw on twitter portas (I think it was) recently posted that he'd sorted out his own insurance for sports injuries.
Very interesting point I don't know the answer, but yes I guess this could free up his wages so to speak.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Any footballer, from sunday league level upwards is covered by insurance of some sort. I would guess that semi pro players would take out better policies than sunday players get automatically.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:13 pm

A real shame,he is my favourite player when he ison his game he is class

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:16 pm

There seems to be some talking at cross purposes here re insurance.

If player has insurance, it will pay him out. If for example Portas had an insurance policy that paid him £1000 per week when injured, this would in no way benefit Darlington who would still be contractually bound to pay his wages, if contract so provided. That £1000 per week would be for Portas and is not relevant for Darlington

In same way, if club have insurance to cover their liability to pay wages, it does not affect Portas as club would be obliged to pay him with or without that insurance policy. Clubs should also be insured 3rd party liability to ensure if they are sued by player injured ( eg opponent) by tackle by Darlington player they are covered. This latter scenario nearly put Bishop out of Business 20 years or so ago. Man U sent a side to play a fund raising friendly to help save Bishop

In an ideal situation, club would be insured to cover cost of paying for replacement players wages and player would have insurance to cover his loss of earnings, eg from day job etc as well as for pain and suffering. Club should also have 3rd party cover to cvover risks of being sued for actions of their employees (vicarious liability)

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:57 pm

Got a lot of respect for him portas. Regular fixture at away games even when not playing. Hope the OP goes well and we see him next season.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Bad news for the club and for Portas personally. He'll be gutted ..

He's been an outstanding player for us since he joined.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:18 am

What would we do without Spen?

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:42 am

spen666 wrote:There seems to be some talking at cross purposes here re insurance.

If player has insurance, it will pay him out. If for example Portas had an insurance policy that paid him £1000 per week when injured, this would in no way benefit Darlington who would still be contractually bound to pay his wages, if contract so provided. That £1000 per week would be for Portas and is not relevant for Darlington

In same way, if club have insurance to cover their liability to pay wages, it does not affect Portas as club would be obliged to pay him with or without that insurance policy. Clubs should also be insured 3rd party liability to ensure if they are sued by player injured ( eg opponent) by tackle by Darlington player they are covered. This latter scenario nearly put Bishop out of Business 20 years or so ago. Man U sent a side to play a fund raising friendly to help save Bishop

In an ideal situation, club would be insured to cover cost of paying for replacement players wages and player would have insurance to cover his loss of earnings, eg from day job etc as well as for pain and suffering. Club should also have 3rd party cover to cvover risks of being sued for actions of their employees (vicarious liability)
Regards your second paragraph and the example of £1,000 per week. This surely is to cover non football income am I correct? Other wise if it covered a player's football earnings as well he would be better off injured wouldn't he if club paid him as well?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:27 pm

bga wrote:
spen666 wrote:There seems to be some talking at cross purposes here re insurance.

Regards your second paragraph and the example of £1,000 per week. This surely is to cover non football income am I correct? Other wise if it covered a player's football earnings as well he would be better off injured wouldn't he if club paid him as well?

It wasa hypothetical figure. I have no idea what he gets for playing or earns in his job.

The benefits of an insurance policy of this nature are usually defined and for a larger premium the income the player gets would increase. A bit like life insurance.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:14 pm

Presumably at this level there's a lot of appearance fees and they'd make up a decent chunk of what the club pays players. If he's injured he doesn't play hence the insurance.

Even on a full time contract a lot of employers don't pay any more than statutory sick pay if you're unable to work for long periods due to sickness/injury.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Rubbish news. I like Portas too. Wishing him a speedy recovery.