much improved

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

onewayup
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

much improved

Post by onewayup » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:43 pm

I think there was a massive improvement in the way everything went today of field ,
Queues were smaller bar was fuller and car park was much better and quicker exit.
A huge well done to all concerned as a volunteer run club we are getting there,
Again well done everyone.

shawry
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by shawry » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:34 pm

How many security were there? and why did we have them? And who is paying for them?

would be my only questions.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:39 pm

shawry wrote:How many security were there? and why did we have them? And who is paying for them?

would be my only questions.
Good question, I thought that as I left the ground

LoidLucan
Posts: 3050
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:00 pm

View of the action all around the ground was also much improved today. However, there were times when I wished it wasn't ;)

User avatar
Robbie Painter
Posts: 2279
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:05 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
shawry wrote:How many security were there? and why did we have them? And who is paying for them?

would be my only questions.
Good question, I thought that as I left the ground
I think the better question would be how many more volunteer stewards do we need so that we can ditch the security firm.

Can't sustain paying one set of stewards and not the rest.

Maurice_Peddelty
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:08 pm

shawry wrote:How many security were there? and why did we have them? And who is paying for them?

would be my only questions.
A. As many as necessary as deemed by the Club’s Safety Officer;
B. To secure the safety of those attending the match;
C. Darlington FC, who else is responsible for safety on a match day? Of course, if we had more volunteer stewards, the Club wouldn't need to pay for hired help.

darlo reborn
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:21 pm

How was the crowd nearly 700 less than the Halifax game when it looked just as full

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:23 pm

darlo reborn wrote:How was the crowd nearly 700 less than the Halifax game when it looked just as full
it were more spread out and people wernt 3 or 4 deep today

darlo reborn
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:25 pm

They were down the side with the stand

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:27 pm

darlo reborn wrote:They were down the side with the stand
I were behind the goal and it were 1 deep.. I didn't think it looked as busy I estimated 2200 before the game as I looked around..

jimsobotowski
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by jimsobotowski » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:17 pm

I don't know what it was like getting out of the car park on Boxing Day as we missed the match due to illness but we found it an absolute farce today and for me it was totally down to the paid stewards. We got into our car at 5 o'clock and joined the queue. We moved forward a little bit at 8 minutes past and then stood still until half past while the stewards allowed two other queues to take turns in exiting. When we pointed this out to the stewards we were told that they were just carrying out the clubs health and safety policy. What an excuse all it needed was a little common sense so that each queue took alternate turns. These paid stewards aren't a patch on our volunteer stewards, but the club needs to give them clearer instructions

princes town
Posts: 4127
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Re: much improved

Post by princes town » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
shawry wrote:How many security were there? and why did we have them? And who is paying for them?

would be my only questions.
Good question, I thought that as I left the ground


Can't sustain paying one set of stewards and not the rest.
its hugely problematic for many different reasons. Security is a trained position so it is unlikely that a call for volunteers will generate the right type of staff. I'm of a.view now sadly that some of the match day delivery functions are not sustainable on a volunteer platform. Many functions are but I'm not convinced that security is. The crowds at darlo now are basically professional level and there are more old league clubs who will bring an 'element'. Even at a low key game like today there was bother at the end which could have been really difficult but not for the patience of the away fans and some prompt work by a couple volunteer stewards. I'd also add that the hired stewsrds have done a decent job but the question of who is or isn't 'staff' needs to be reviewed in the summer with a clear set of rules on this hybrid structure

wizardofos
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by wizardofos » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:54 am

jimsobotowski wrote:I don't know what it was like getting out of the car park on Boxing Day as we missed the match due to illness but we found it an absolute farce today and for me it was totally down to the paid stewards. We got into our car at 5 o'clock and joined the queue. We moved forward a little bit at 8 minutes past and then stood still until half past while the stewards allowed two other queues to take turns in exiting. When we pointed this out to the stewards we were told that they were just carrying out the clubs health and safety policy. What an excuse all it needed was a little common sense so that each queue took alternate turns. These paid stewards aren't a patch on our volunteer stewards, but the club needs to give them clearer instructions
They have to wait for all the pedestrians to clear up the lane before the first car is released. After that the car park emptied quickly. Thought the stewards and the traffic control on Grange Road did a good job again.

User avatar
Robbie Painter
Posts: 2279
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by Robbie Painter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:45 am

wizardofos wrote:
jimsobotowski wrote:I don't know what it was like getting out of the car park on Boxing Day as we missed the match due to illness but we found it an absolute farce today and for me it was totally down to the paid stewards. We got into our car at 5 o'clock and joined the queue. We moved forward a little bit at 8 minutes past and then stood still until half past while the stewards allowed two other queues to take turns in exiting. When we pointed this out to the stewards we were told that they were just carrying out the clubs health and safety policy. What an excuse all it needed was a little common sense so that each queue took alternate turns. These paid stewards aren't a patch on our volunteer stewards, but the club needs to give them clearer instructions
They have to wait for all the pedestrians to clear up the lane before the first car is released. After that the car park emptied quickly. Thought the stewards and the traffic control on Grange Road did a good job again.
Was in our car at 5, out of the car park at 5.25. It was reasonably efficiently organised. Never going to be a quick exit when all cars and pedestrians have to exit down same small lane.

onewayup
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:23 am

For those who think they should have preference in getting out of the car park first, we are a fan owned club run by volunteers who have given their time energy to the club because they didn't want it to die, they do a marvellous job under difficult circumstances ,they have had discussions with the rugby club last week after taking on-board the problems from the first game ,they addressed a lot of the problems from that game and things moved faster and more smoothly this week, if you aren't happy with car park situation remember next week you may be the first out ,swings and roundabouts, sometimes it works for you sometimes it doesn't,personally if I was to get upset about not getting out of the car park I would get the bus or walk.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:22 am

onewayup wrote:For those who think they should have preference in getting out of the car park first, we are a fan owned club run by volunteers who have given their time energy to the club because they didn't want it to die, they do a marvellous job under difficult circumstances ,they have had discussions with the rugby club last week after taking on-board the problems from the first game ,they addressed a lot of the problems from that game and things moved faster and more smoothly this week, if you aren't happy with car park situation remember next week you may be the first out ,swings and roundabouts, sometimes it works for you sometimes it doesn't,personally if I was to get upset about not getting out of the car park I would get the bus or walk.
Who has said they should have preference? I've not heard anyone moaning about it , that's life if you park close to the ground u should expect to wait, it happens at other clubs with big crowds..

shawry
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by shawry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:59 am

onewayup wrote:For those who think they should have preference in getting out of the car park first, we are a fan owned club run by volunteers who have given their time energy to the club because they didn't want it to die, they do a marvellous job under difficult circumstances ,they have had discussions with the rugby club last week after taking on-board the problems from the first game ,they addressed a lot of the problems from that game and things moved faster and more smoothly this week, if you aren't happy with car park situation remember next week you may be the first out ,swings and roundabouts, sometimes it works for you sometimes it doesn't,personally if I was to get upset about not getting out of the car park I would get the bus or walk.
I thought it was because 2 queues of traffic were being marshalled out and 1 was left waiting? Rather than complaining about cars not being allowed out?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Beano
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:16 pm

I always find the car park rush merchant rather amusing. What does anyone expect when several hundred vehicles are released from the same place at the same time?!

It you don't want to wait, you will need to use a different mode of transport.

quakerste
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by quakerste » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:32 pm

What was holding the car park up was they were still allowing cars to come down to the ground but only allowing a few cars up the lane at a time and not keeping a constant flow which delayed matters.

jjljks
Posts: 1627
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:06 pm

Solution really lies with the Council who should have put in a new exit from the car parks directly onto Grange Road which would effectively segregate the pedestrians from cars. A traffic police presence to enforce turn left policy would be helpful.
Inside the ground, the improvements were marked and everyone concerned should be proud of the way things are settling in. Thanks to you, we have something to be proud of.

jimsobotowski
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by jimsobotowski » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:44 pm

I totally agree that no one should have a preference, we should all get equal treatment. I also understand the problem of having to stop exiting to allow the fans on foot to go first and also letting cars get into the rugby club. The problem was that 2 queues were allowed out while the other was totally stationary. This led to some cars turning round in very restrictive spaces so that they could join the 2 moving queues.
I would never have a go at our volunteer stewards who do an excellent job, and I was also impressed by the stewards organising the exit onto Grange Road.
Coming through from Teesside means we have little option but to use the car, and we have had plenty of queueing at both the Arena and car park c at Bishop, hopefully next Saturday will see more improvement but I agree that long term the solution has to be a dedicated exit road

Beano
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:47 pm

A dedicated exit is the ideal solution, but that is seriously big money, and it will be responsibility of the football and rugby clubs to provide it.

By big money, I mean at least £100k, which is why it did not happen.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12237
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Surely cars were only held for 5 minutes or so, not a big sacrifice.

jjljks
Posts: 1627
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Beano wrote:A dedicated exit is the ideal solution, but that is seriously big money, and it will be responsibility of the football and rugby clubs to provide it.

By big money, I mean at least £100k, which is why it did not happen.
Thanks for the info, if pushed I would have to agree, spend the £100k on the stands and folks can sit and wait 5 mins in their nice warm cars :thumbup:

billieloid
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:22 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by billieloid » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:10 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Surely cars were only held for 5 minutes or so, not a big sacrifice.
No, Pete. I was in that queue for 40 minutes (most of the time stationery) and was certainly not the last car to leave the car park.

User avatar
uncovered
Site Admin
Posts: 2188
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:32 am

much improved

Post by uncovered » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:53 pm

I think I was one of the last cars to leave the car park, about 5.30. I had a drink after the match, got in my car and was waved straight out and grange road traffic was stopped for me to leave. Out without stopping in any queue at all. I think I have found my new post match routine as on Boxing Day I did have a 15 minute wait but it appeared very organised. Problem was some drivers who decided that they were not waiting in the queue and drove past us all and forced their way in the front. I hate queues so I just want to avoid it.

I still get home earlier than I did from bishop Auckland.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darlo reborn
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Hope it was a soft drink lol

User avatar
uncovered
Site Admin
Posts: 2188
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:32 am

Re: much improved

Post by uncovered » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:06 pm

It was a lager shandy, which was very refreshing and only £3.10.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6132
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:36 pm

uncovered wrote:It was a lager shandy
What a puff haha :lol: ;)

Neil Johnson
Posts: 1260
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: much improved

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Beano wrote:A dedicated exit is the ideal solution, but that is seriously big money, and it will be responsibility of the football and rugby clubs to provide it.

By big money, I mean at least £100k, which is why it did not happen.
May be a lot more, because the council was talking about a million for an Arena slip road.

Big difference in scale, between what would help and a long slip road onto the A66, but I suppose this is a relatively small nuisance and money should sensibly be allocated to pitch, drainage, spectator facilities and players in the foreseeable future.

Post Reply