Nuneaton Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Nuneaton Match Thread

Post by JE93 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:13 am

I think Gray understands we are a very good fit for him. Allows him a managerial career with a team that has potential to go up the divisions. Whilst at the same time giving him the time to successfully manager his academy. Which is also mutually beneficial. Aspiring young players can be offered a route into the game by Darlo which in turn would raise interest in being part of Martin Grays academy.

The club has to be very professional about its next round of fund raising. As Lo points or it is very likely that the people who have put in each time are from the same small pool and while we all love the club and want to see it develop at BM this strain on a small route of resources will only take us so far.

In the professional world of companies crowd funding most companies are expected to have 40% of money they want to raise pre-pledged before they make the raise public. This can then be used strategicly to stimulate the raised amount if fan donations starts to lul. In reality this should come from 2 sources. Getting businesses to commit to sponsorship and club budget surplus from increased crowds.

The next phase of BM development needs to be relaying the pitch, a terrace at the far end (around 10-12 steps), finishing the seated stand and adding another toilet block. I have no idea how much that costs and what grants and subsidies are available to cover some of the cost. But will need significant investment. So the club have to time it perfectly.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:59 am

Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
TDS wrote:I still think the board need to hold the reigns on Gray who's ambition could take him further than the Club can
How can you "hold the reigns" on someones ambition? Ambition is what makes most people tick.
There's also a danger that if we don't match Gray's ambitions, he jumps ship to a team higher in the pyramid.

It becomes a trade-off. Gray, I assume is aware of the restrictions we do have. At the same time, the board needs to demonstrate a level of ambition to keep taking the club forward.

From the Echo article, it suggests Gray has asked if there’s any room in the budget. If there is, then fair enough.

Where I as a supporter have concerns is when we go over-budget, which we've done in the past.
Totally agree we should not go over budget. If Cartman is a big earner he needs to start scoring soon please. Darlofan97 is correct in his earlier observation!

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:19 pm

Is Cartman regularly missing chances, or are we not creating that much for him due to the focus of our play this season? I'd also not pay a great deal of attention to assist stats. Just because you don't play the final pass doesn't mean you haven't been involved in a goal.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:03 pm

There is no questioning Cartman's commitment to the club either on the pitch or off. I believe he was the one responsible for the prompt return of the unwanted Halifax tickets on Boxing Day which allowed 3000 Darlo fans to witness the historic return to Darlo.
The service to the forwards needs to be improved with midfield showing more bite and ability to run at the opposition, allowing the likes of Thommo and Cartman to get wide & around the back so that crosses can be put into the box for Beck (and others) to run onto. Currently we are too reliant on long diagonal balls from the back that Beck has to flick on and those feeding off him don't have Extra Sensory Perception to know where it will land, hence the poor scoring record this season of Cartman & Tommo come to that. We are missing the likes of Portas and Mitchell who could unsettle defences. Perhaps the young Harvey Saunders is still a bit light to do this although from the touches shown on Saturday, he obviously has the speed and talent. Otherwise I hope MG has another card up his transfer sleeve. Best thing the rest of us can do is get behind the team & give a bit more vocal support.
PS Why does the lad with the drum only beat it when we are winning?

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:40 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Is Cartman regularly missing chances, or are we not creating that much for him due to the focus of our play this season? I'd also not pay a great deal of attention to assist stats. Just because you don't play the final pass doesn't mean you haven't been involved in a goal.
I genuinely think it is a bit of both in that yes we are not creating the same chances, but equally he is missing some chances (not regularly) he would have put away last season. I don't for one minute question his commitment to the cause.