Nuneaton Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Nuneaton Match Thread

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Totally agree with Breed on, would have been happy with a point but we were wide open and gifted them the win.I thought we defended well other than those 2 lapses, don't know why Browney had to dive in for the pen, fell right into there hands.Thought Chris Hunter had a solid game today and certainly like the look of young Saunders, lightning quick and unlucky not to score.Really missing Tom Port as with his drive going forward and hopefully Aaron Wearmouth is not far away.Getting very tight for the playoffs, seems all the teams around us are very consistent and we need to get winning again but this is a very tough league and possibly need to add to the squad to be in the mix come May.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Thought we played really well first half but 2nd was so scrappy and couldn't get going. The Browny incident wasn't even a foul and what happened with Becks yellow? Free kick that led to the penalty went the wrong way as well. Very very frustrating.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Thought we played really well first half but 2nd was so scrappy and couldn't get going. The Browny incident wasn't even a foul and what happened with Becks yellow? Free kick that led to the penalty went the wrong way as well. Very very frustrating.
Thought the changes we made disrupted our rhythm a bit.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:32 pm

njb wrote:We really need to stop shipping sloppy goals, 20 conceded in the last 10 games means we have to score 3 to win a game. Maybe we need to go 4-5-1 to sort this out and start building from there.

There is clearly no confidence in the team anymore, with very little creativity on show today. Some players need to be taken out of the team, but with such a small squad there is no opportunity to do it. A couple of new faces would definitely help, hopefully MG will be able to bring someone in soon.
Like who???

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:50 pm

DarloBear wrote:Teams like Nuneaton will kill off football as a spectator sport - dire to watch and Darlo got sucked in.

I agree in some ways, but they can play as they want ... everywhere we tried to put the ball, 2 or 3 blue shirts immediately turned up to thwart us, and we had no answer.
My opinion wrote:Agree with onewayup on the Brown foul incident, he shielded the ball out and I thought the lad ran into him.
Looked like a foul to me, he was very lucky to stay on.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Beck appeared to be booked because the keeper dropped the ball.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Poor performance from us today, maybe deserved a draw but can't really complain,
Squad looked thin today.

Quick piece about the day, but great effort from those involved who have helped with the improvements following Boxing Day every thing seemed a lot smoother today.

https://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/2017/ ... ll-defeat/

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:21 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Beck appeared to be booked because the keeper dropped the ball.
The keeper knew exactly what he were doing the ginger cheat...

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:25 pm

There really aren't any easy games at the level we've progressed to. Nuneaton were well organised and worked hard and they are helped by the fact that they have several loanees from the Football League, including the player who scored the winner. But I am starting to wonder if we'll ever manage to keep a clean sheet.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Personally I am not going to get carried away with our recent results.

Recently we have had to play Tamworth (A), Fylde (H), Telford (A), Salford (H), Kidderminster (A), Halifax (H) & Halifax (A). Teams positioned 5th, 1st, 18th, 4th, 2nd & 9th respectively.

So the easiest game on paper there was Telford (A) which we can mitigate for due to a Jameson red-card.

Personally I am more disappointed today at how we were set-up at 1-1, it was basically a 4-2-4 and a point would have been a good result given Nuneaton have won their last 5.

Although Hunter put in a fine ball for Syers, Marrs comes back in next week if he is available.

There was not much between the teams today and I felt that a draw would have been a fair result.

We were down to the bones today with Portas & Hardy unavailable, plus the long-term absence of Wearmouth. Very lucky to not have further problems with a suspension, I thought Brown was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Good attendance of 2,313, more of that and we will average 2,000+ for this season.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:59 pm

The Brown incident happened right in front of the Linesman and after the ref talked to him, didn't even speak to Browny. Was about 5m away and their lad clattered into Browny, just came off worse.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:The Brown incident happened right in front of the Linesman and after the ref talked to him, didn't even speak to Browny. Was about 5m away and their lad clattered into Browny, just came off worse.
Happened right in front of me. Brown ran his studs down the lads leg. Now I don't think he meant it but I wouldn't have complained if he'd got a straight red. Was very surprised he stayed on.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Exactly how I saw it. Thought he was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Just watched the highlights.

That is quite some defensive line being held for their second goal. One player drops, one pushes up.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Should have got a point today and I though we deserved one at the very least. I thought we were the better team first half but only slightly and if Scott's header had gone in then would have been 1-0.

Nuneaton had a plan and it was keep it tight hit us on the break and it worked ok for them and then we gave them a penalty they go 1-0 and it's perfect scenario for them.

After not doing enough from 60 minutes onwards we finally somehow in the last minute score and pull a point out of the jaws of defeat only to then push for a winner and get caught out when we could have shut up shop and took the point.

Gray always goes all or nothing and we did again unfortunately we got sucker punched and lost the match. Disappointing and we need a bit more creativity but this is a much tougher league and playing against a team on a 6 game winning run before today.

Attendance good about what I hoped for and if we can keep above the 2k mark for most games then this sets us up nicely. Hopefully we will get a few wins under the belt soon and get back in the play off race.

All in all, can't say I am happy after losing but things could be worse, best thing is you know Gray won't be happy and he will be looking to improve things one way or another.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:The Brown incident happened right in front of the Linesman and after the ref talked to him, didn't even speak to Browny. Was about 5m away and their lad clattered into Browny, just came off worse.
Happened right in front of me. Brown ran his studs down the lads leg. Now I don't think he meant it but I wouldn't have complained if he'd got a straight red. Was very surprised he stayed on.
Exactly what I saw, and I wasn't far away, so good to see my eyes haven't gone just yet!

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Difficult game today. We didn't play well in my opinion. I thought a draw would have been a fair result but it wasn't to be. One win in ten matches is a concern..

At least 'off the pitch' seemed to go better than Boxing Day. A 2,300 crowd fitted comfortably in. Hopefully we will be able to attract this amount as a minimum going forward.

At least some positive news tonight regarding the dropping of the '1883' suffix

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Forget the match it was drab. We can't win the lot. But that was lacklustre.

Right. I'm not complaining. I keep looking to the pitch. And it's going to cause us challenges for the rest of the season. we need to dig deep again and get the pitch sorted. Which I know is planned. It's just so Soft and really bobbly. Great for rugby. And beggars can be choosers. But not presently suited for footy. Still at least it had no puddles on it. Just thinking, We can't expect Thommo and Gillies to do anything at home for the rest of the season.
Last edited by dickdarlington on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:45 pm

Unfortunately the pitch is what it is, exactly the same as this time last season at HP but with better drainage.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:12 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Yeah that was rubbish, he just dropped it, should have been play on... Ref was shoite.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:09 am

I was a bit far away to see this, but I'm sure the ref was running away with his back turned and didn't see it at all - he turned and saw the ball on the deck with Beck activated and presumed a foul had taken place. I suppose if you don't see it you can't give it, but then again Beck got booked!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:11 am

dickdarlington wrote:We can't expect Thommo and Gillies to do anything at home for the rest of the season.
Gillies looked fine on the highlights to me?

We lost against a full time side. We have to be careful pointing fingers too much. I think we wait to summer and see what Gray wants to do. This place seems to go into meltdown whenever we don't win at the moment which seems a bit over the top.

Priority for me is the next investment in the ground, generating the revenues for years to come. There is plenty of space for advertising hoardings around the pitch and on the stands. I am sure this is work in progress but that will ultimately give us the financial footing to progress.

We get local business linked to the club, we generate a local buzz about the club we get the increased hospitality, sponsorship and ultimately attendances. I know many say you need a winning team to do that but I am not so sure.

Gary Brown was unlucky and lucky at the same time. The foul he got cautioned for wasn't even a foul never mind soft the ref wasn't helped by his AR there. He definitely should have picked something up for the tackle which injured their man - there are some rose tinted specs saying it wasn't even a foul!
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:18 am

dickdarlington wrote:, We can't expect Thommo and Gillies to do anything at home for the rest of the season.
Bit melodramatic. Gillies did well yesterday I thought.

And the pitch didn't affect him too much v Halifax. He and Thommo may have to adapt a bit but they're good enough to cope.

Ultimately the pitch is what it is and there's very little can be done at this stage.

You're right to say it needs sorting although this is something the club have recognised themselves.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:18 am

lo36789 wrote:Gary Brown was unlucky and lucky at the same time. The foul he got cautioned for wasn't even a foul never mind soft the ref wasn't helped by his AR there.

100% dive. couldn't believe it.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:25 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Gary Brown was unlucky and lucky at the same time. The foul he got cautioned for wasn't even a foul never mind soft the ref wasn't helped by his AR there.

Dive is harsh player was stumbling tried to put his weight onto brown but brown didn't provide the surface to balance against.

DarloBear
Team Supported: Darlington / Rangers

Post by DarloBear » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:14 am

Gillies was excellent first half - second half I'd to check to see if he was still on the pitch. Nuneaton did a job stopping ball supply to him and Beck.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:36 am

lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Dive is harsh player was stumbling tried to put his weight onto brown but brown didn't provide the surface to balance against.
93% dive then.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:41 am

I thought they looked good in the first 10 minutes. After that I thought we were better and until they scored looked better. Once they scored I thought they did well and didn't think we would score. At 1-1 we were the team most likely to win so couldn't blame us for giving it a go. Fans would only have complained if we didn't go for it. Didn't deserve to lose I thought but perhaps not enough to win. 2 poor decisions from brown in the pen and what should have been his second booking. Although I thought the first booking was a joke. Styche through himself on the floor, although he did play well. He's one of the reasons they've improved

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:37 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Yeah that was rubbish, he just dropped it, should have been play on... Ref was shoite.

Ref was in the right.

I was right behind the goal when it happened

Beck lifted his foot, which you cannot do. Keeper made a meal of it though

However, free kick and a booking is the right decision according to the laws.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Disappointing all round, however most disappointed by the Tin Shed 'fans' who disgraced themselves by having a go at the few Nuneaton fans who had made the trip. The Echo did claim there was a lack of atmosphere and it is up to all the fans to create a positive vibe, especially when we go behind. The smartest thing Nuneaton did was to swap ends to make sure they were kicking into the Tin Shed in the 2nd half.

The team need some injection of fresh talent so the sooner we get Portas and Marrs back, the better. Good to see Harvey Saunders getting a chance and he nearly became an instant legend with his first touch. Hope we see more of him in the future but am sure MG will judge when the time is right to bring on the youngsters. They and the fans are the future of the club.