Harrogate Town to go Full Time

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Beano
Team Supported: Darlington

Harrogate Town to go Full Time

Post by Beano » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:31 am

Darlo_Pete

Re: Harrogate Town to go Full Time

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:17 am

Strange timing when a good part through the season, when they're only 10th and surely only have an outside chance of making the play-offs. There's no mention of how or who is financing this jump to going full=time either, as they are certainly not the best supported club in the division.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:42 am

The chairman is minted and his son is the manager.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:58 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:There's no mention of how or who is financing this jump to going full=time either, as they are certainly not the best supported club in the division.
definitely think we need an announcement from the club on this - but once again they are keeping their cards close to their chest.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:07 am

Didn't MG say that the cost for us going full time would be circa £1,000,000 a year? That would be some cup run lol
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:07 am

:o
lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:There's no mention of how or who is financing this jump to going full=time either, as they are certainly not the best supported club in the division.
definitely think we need an announcement from the club on this - but once again they are keeping their cards close to their chest.
:o Wow!.Attempted humour by lo there folks.Hope you all got it :roll:

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:10 pm

As a Harrogate resident, I notice their 3G pitch is very well used. They seem to have a successful revenue stream from functions in their clubhouse, too.

That will by no means cover full time costs. Their crowds are low, many townsfolk travel to York, Leeds, Bradford and even Darlington, but Irvine Weaver's pockets are deep.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:56 pm

Beano wrote:As a Harrogate resident, I notice their 3G pitch is very well used. They seem to have a successful revenue stream from functions in their clubhouse, too.

That will by no means cover full time costs. Their crowds are low, many townsfolk travel to York, Leeds, Bradford and even Darlington, but Irvine Weaver's pockets are deep.
They are a very strong club with a brilliant ground. I would caution on fan support. Harrogate never really struck me as a football town when I lived there. However, they do have a very wealthy chairman who would be prepared to back his son.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:12 am

I wonder if all their players will want to do full time?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:55 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I wonder if all their players will want to do full time?
haha good one :clap: :lol:

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Beano wrote:As a Harrogate resident, I notice their 3G pitch is very well used. They seem to have a successful revenue stream from functions in their clubhouse, too.

Private Non-match day functions at BM only benefit the Rugby Club.

We had a lot of revenue from the new East Stand at Feethams, from club supporters and public wanting to help DFC. Possibility of some outsourcing that benefits both clubs?

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Private Non-match day functions at BM only benefit the Rugby Club.

We had a lot of revenue from the new East Stand at Feethams, from club supporters and public wanting to help DFC. Possibility of some outsourcing that benefits both clubs?

DL5

Post by DL5 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Is going full time a simple case of a player earns say £400 a week in their normal job and £250 a week part time football wage so a offer is made in that region of £650 a week + pension or is that too simple?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:33 pm

DL5 wrote:Is going full time a simple case of a player earns say £400 a week in their normal job and £250 a week part time football wage so a offer is made in that region of £650 a week + pension or is that too simple?
I would say that quite a few of the Harrogate players earn more than £250 a week. Somewhere near £350-£400 I should imagine and that may be me being conservative.

You have also got to remember that it is a big ask to ask players to give up their profession and sign just a 1 or 2 year contact, when a lot more security is offered continuing their role and playing P/T football.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:50 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
DL5 wrote:Is going full time a simple case of a player earns say £400 a week in their normal job and £250 a week part time football wage so a offer is made in that region of £650 a week + pension or is that too simple?
I would say that quite a few of the Harrogate players earn more than £250 a week. Somewhere near £350-£400 I should imagine and that may be me being conservative.

You have also got to remember that it is a big ask to ask players to give up their profession and sign just a 1 or 2 year contact, when a lot more security is offered continuing their role and playing P/T football.
Yes that's what I'm thinking so they'll probably want quite a bit more than just their combined P/T weekly wage to give up a permanent job for a 2 yr contract. Thinking in terms of us ever going full time again we can probably treble the wage bill then at least, that's a scary thought.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:12 am

DL5 wrote:Yes that's what I'm thinking so they'll probably want quite a bit more than just their combined P/T weekly wage to give up a permanent job for a 2 yr contract. Thinking in terms of us ever going full time again we can probably treble the wage bill then at least, that's a scary thought.
We'll just have to sign players who are good at playing football but otherwise unemployable. Should be a few around.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:47 am

A little bit more than that. Part-time players receive payment for 40 weeks of the year. Full-time players need to be paid 52 weeks of the year.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:30 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
A little bit more than that. Part-time players receive payment for 40 weeks of the year. Full-time players need to be paid 52 weeks of the year.
Yes there's that added expense too.

A full time set up will mean the players are better prepared/rested without the hassle of working before a game (didn't Tommo used tho come off a Friday nightshift and play on a Saturday in the past?) and we'll be able to draw from the pool of professional players not just the best PT ones.

Although the club has done fantastically well to get where it is those small margins that are gained by being full time might be the difference between being a mid table Conference National side or getting back into League 2 (I think we'll be promoted in our current form anyway sooner or later)

We're flying about as high as we can as a PT team, OK we'd maybe hold our own 1 level higher but that's about it.

Factoring in the cost of upgrading BM to league standard then where's the money going to come from? The £1m that MG mentioned? I don't think league money,sponsorship, increased ticket price and corporate earnings will cover the cost

It's a big decision to make for the club especially if/when we get to the next level.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:08 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
I am sure that when we were in the Conference (2010 / 2011), York used to pay their players over a 39 / 40 week season and they were full-time. They may have been paid over the summer with their salary being worked out pro-rata.

I remember when a former chairman let is slip on BBC Tees after the Mark Cooper sacking that Adam Quinn (now at Gainsborough) was on £52k a year, which is a shocking amount of money.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:44 pm

I think as a team we are a very interesting proposition as a PT team rather than putting all our hopes on being full time, at which point we'd have to compete with the heavily subsidised and 2 year contracts of Gateshead and FL status of Hartlepool. Don't think it will be long (next couple of seasons) till we can get into the Conf National.

We will continue to be the highest place North East PT club which should give us high priority of players who are PT in the North East and are willing to travel further than the northern league boundaries.

At that level while being FT might be desirable we can start to look at the situation differently. Being PT hasn't stopped us signing players like Turnbull, Gillies an Beck all of who i think are Conf National standard. Add to that offering an opportunity for pro's coming to the end of their career, to play part time while they pick up skills for their life after football either through places like darlington college or teesside university etc. And while it hasn't happened yet (bar maybe Tait for a short while) the opportunity for young players who haven't made it thus far to play PT in a professional set up and infront of decent crowds as they try and plot their way back into pro-football.