People Leaving at HT

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo1235
Team Supported: Darlington

People Leaving at HT

Post by Darlo1235 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Don't know if they were just going out and coming back but saw few people leaving at HT for some reason.

bga

Re: People Leaving at HT

Post by bga » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Darlo1235 wrote:Don't know if they were just going out and coming back but saw few people leaving at HT for some reason.
Wives having Babies?

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:09 pm

The guy on the gate told someone who wanted to be out you won`t be allowed back in

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Smokers? Could you smoke in the ground?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:44 pm

Spyman wrote:Smokers? Could you smoke in the ground?

A lad in front of me did (Tin Shed)

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Darlo1235 wrote:Don't know if they were just going out and coming back but saw few people leaving at HT for some reason.
Couldn't see the game, couldn't get to the toilet without a 20 min wait at half time, couldn't get food/drink from a normal priced burger van was what I heard.

All of which didn't massively affect me and I didn't leave but was some of the feedback I heard.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:09 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Couldn't see the game, couldn't get to the toilet without a 20 min wait at half time, couldn't get food/drink from a normal priced burger van was what I heard.

All of which didn't massively affect me and I didn't leave but was some of the feedback I heard.
All fair points. We could've done a soft launch and limited today to 2000 I suppose, but we all know how that would've gone down.

We need to now gradually build infrastructure to support growth in support. I'm sure a few will have been turned of today by the crowding, but the smart ones will know these were a combination of new ground with high demand.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:36 pm

Anyone who left at HT (if they did) because of a poor view and the fact they couldn't get a decent priced burger is obviously a right moron.

The fans have paid for this ground and it's as good as we could get with the money and it's a damn lot better than traipsing through to Bishop every game. Not sure about anyone else but I go to the football to watch the football, rather than study the price of a burger. If you are arsed about the view then get there early to find a decent spot, or at half time when everyone is grabbing something to eat or visiting the loo, nick their space. Saying that, I got there 15 minutes before kick off and had a brilliant view stood in the shed, I could see the ball hitting the net and the corners being taken, which I couldn't at Bishop.

I'd bet the individuals who left didn't bother going to Bishop or didn't bother to put any money in for the ground or didn't bother to go when we were at the arena (where you could see everything, pick any seat, and get a burger). So for me they can not bother coming back as well, we are a fan owned club where everyone has stuck together to get us where we are today, they can take their negativity and f**k off.
:shifty:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:40 pm

All fair points when you look at it as an individual and you don't want to grow the fan base, however not much cop if you popped along as a family of four with kids who can't see and all want something to eat/drink and need the toilet.

Again not a problem for me but you have to think outside of your own personal circumstances to understand different peoples needs and not everyone can just stand in the Tin Shed and see fine.

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:43 pm

Fair point - although very easily solved in my opinion! The seats from HP will help, an extra block of toilets and a burger van on the far side.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:51 pm

The biting wind didn't help, most of those leaving had quite young children so a combination of the cold and the poor view was probably the main complaint. Today reminded me of one of those FA Cup ties you see on TV where the ground is packed out with rows deep of flat standing.

Segregation obviously didn't help matters and I think the whole scenario would be better judged over the next 2 or 3 games where a regular sized crowd will be in attendance.

For the infrastructure faults I thought the organisation was pretty good.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Undercovered wrote:The biting wind didn't help, most of those leaving had quite young children so a combination of the cold and the poor view was probably the main complaint. Today reminded me of one of those FA Cup ties you see on TV where the ground is packed out with rows deep of flat standing.

Segregation obviously didn't help matters and I think the whole scenario would be better judged over the next 2 or 3 games where a regular sized crowd will be in attendance.

For the infrastructure faults I thought the organisation was pretty good.
I personally enjoyed the day but the target has to be having 3k crowds where we have little complaints, this will take time but if we don't discuss issues then we won't know what needs fixing.

We then need to move to more comfortable higher attendances but will all take time & money.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:10 am

Its easy to forget but it was under 12 months ago that the directors stood up at a forum and said the target would be a 1.5k average after the initial crowd spike on return to Darlo.

Given we're averaging 1719 now for the season we should be in clover for once and hopefully surplus earnings will be put into infrastructure and solidifying the balance sheet.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:45 am

DFCAnth wrote:Anyone who left at HT (if they did) because of a poor view and the fact they couldn't get a decent priced burger is obviously a right moron.

The fans have paid for this ground and it's as good as we could get with the money and it's a damn lot better than traipsing through to Bishop every game. Not sure about anyone else but I go to the football to watch the football, rather than study the price of a burger. If you are arsed about the view then get there early to find a decent spot, or at half time when everyone is grabbing something to eat or visiting the loo, nick their space. Saying that, I got there 15 minutes before kick off and had a brilliant view stood in the shed, I could see the ball hitting the net and the corners being taken, which I couldn't at Bishop.

I'd bet the individuals who left didn't bother going to Bishop or didn't bother to put any money in for the ground or didn't bother to go when we were at the arena (where you could see everything, pick any seat, and get a burger). So for me they can not bother coming back as well, we are a fan owned club where everyone has stuck together to get us where we are today, they can take their negativity and f**k off.
That's one of the stupiest posts I've ever read, I hope you aren't connected to DFC in any official capacity.

If the capacity is based on people standing 4 deep, then it does not matter what time people arrive, some will always be 4 rows back. Even if everyone turned up at 9 in the morning, somebody has to have a crap view! If people pay full price they are entitled to view the match. If they can't get an unrestricted view then give then a discounted ticket.

Oh, and a great idea about nicking someone's spot at half time, as if that solves the problem. It means the person who left to get a cup of tea now can't see, so what should they do then, given they turned up 3 hours early like you suggested?

I think today generally went well, but reading your post I worry about the intelligence of some people. You are hoping people don't come back because they had a bad experience. Really? Seriously? You are literally blaming supporters for not being able to see! This is epic stupidity.

SFG

Post by SFG » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:50 am

Thought it generally went well although the unlit toilets were inadequate so some "portaloos" may be needed.

No congestion at the turnstiles was an unexpected plus.

If there was a refreshment van then I didn't see it although the guys walking round selling pies from a tray had the right idea.

If the attendance was 3000, and that was below the capacity of 3299, then the only place any more could be fitted in was the "away" end?

Well done to to all the volunteers.

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:36 am

The next few games there will be no segregation which will open up the toilets in the away end and I've been told a large concession unit will be in place.

darlodaz

Post by darlodaz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:22 am

I along with 2 others left at h/t couldn't see a thing hardly and it was bloody freezing cold in that wind.
oh and for the few of you that are going to judge us for that we went to bishop most home games and travel away on a regular basis put money into the 50/50 back to darlo buckets etc.
who was the fucking knob on the gate? ya not coming back in if you go out was all he was saying.

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:24 am

DFCAnth wrote:Anyone who left at HT (if they did) because of a poor view and the fact they couldn't get a decent priced burger is obviously a right moron.

As supporters we were asked for constructive , objective contributions. This is your contribution to that request. Having had time to reflect i hope you are now realisng the negativity of your comments, not to mention your ill thought out improvement suggestions. If you consider yourself a solid supporter, i would far rather we invested in those that left at half time, for very valid reasons , to coax them to come again, rather than encourage someone with similar view to those you express to frequent the terraces.

Darlo1235

Post by Darlo1235 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:33 am

Don't know how much it would cost but couldn't we bring in some temporary terracing to improve the view.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:52 am

Darlo1235 wrote:Don't know how much it would cost but couldn't we bring in some temporary terracing to improve the view.
Unfortunately it's not that easy. It's the same as saying cant you just extend your house to increase the living space.

It depends upon: having the money to do the improvements, having planning permission, neighbours objections etc.

But I agree I think the best thing the club can do now is starting to cost improvements and show the fans what it would take to fund a certain level of improvement to the ground.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:19 pm

DFCAnth wrote:Fair point - although very easily solved in my opinion! The seats from HP will help, an extra block of toilets and a burger van on the far side.
Lots of plus points yesterday (3) and some lessons learned for both fans & the organisation. Basic stuff for any fan are to wrap up warm, go to the loo before you get into the ground and get there early, take something to munch on. For the club, hire in some more portaloos, bring the open seats we bought for HP or get some more, sort out some caterers with initiative like the pieman with tray and finally, rethink the policy on the bars and talk to the Rugby club. It was a good start and something to be proud of, take a bow everyone!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:59 pm

I've long said those seats should have been brought from HP, even if they're just there until something more permanent should be erected. BM is simply more flat than HP. The reason HP always felt like it could hold more is the grass banks, which gave people a decent view, but officially counted for nothing. We've all got to try to get to the front at BM.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:03 pm

DFCAnth wrote:Fair point - although very easily solved in my opinion! The seats from HP will help, an extra block of toilets and a burger van on the far side.
Pipes wont be at the far side for toilets until the Summer 2017 work. This programme of drainage & pitch work was sensibly postponed a season, due to the delays in the development process.

Quick fixes to reduce the viewing difficulties at games & increase revenue:
Move the cordon to a more appropriate location to suit the number of away fans.
Install the 2 sets of seats that were abandoned at HP (volunteer work)
Get a burger van operating at the far side.
Avoid segregation for low profile games
Hire portable loos with sumps for high profile games

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:08 pm

H1987 wrote:I've long said those seats should have been brought from HP, even if they're just there until something more permanent should be erected. BM is simply more flat than HP. The reason HP always felt like it could hold more is the grass banks, which gave people a decent view, but officially counted for nothing. We've all got to try to get to the front at BM.
Asked the club months ago, but they didn't want to do it. I suggested all work could have been done by volunteers, but the club wasn't interested (then).

I can only assume they had been promised to be gifted BAFC by authority of the DFC board.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:14 pm

H1987 wrote:I've long said those seats should have been brought from HP, even if they're just there until something more permanent should be erected. BM is simply more flat than HP.
I've long said that all packaging should be biodegradeable, and all fuel used for transport renewable and green. But I hold no influence and have no knowledge on the complexities, cost or plausibility.

How much will it cost to dismantle the temporary stands?
How much will it cost to transport the temporary stands?
How much will it cost to re-erect the temporary stands with appropriate safety certificates (which although Neil keeps offering up the services of volunteers, which unless he is trained to do the job is very easy to do, but he holds no answers on who these willing volunteers are and what qualifications they possess)

Given the temporary stands have a clue in the name can we reasonable just 'throw' that money away?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Yeah, except what I have said was fairly reasonable, and given it is a temporary stand, it will be possible to take apart and move. It might cost a few grand to hire some men to do it, but people and kids need to be able to see the game. It'd plainly obviously be cheaper than anything else that would provide that.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:05 pm

A day to remember for all who were there for all the right reasons,
1)playing back in Darlington
2) big crowd
3)a win and three points
4)most fans understand that the club is fan owned and as such realize that it was the fans who put their money on the line to bring about our return to Blackwell ,all of those are normal working class people/fans who should be applauded for their efforts,it will take a little time to get everything right please be patient ,and if you can help in anyway get in touch with the club ,
No one couldhave expected a faultless first day.
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS WITH DARLINGTON F C.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:14 pm

I've always been interested in our temporary stand and what effect it would have. I think it should be a talking point. There are more people in the know than myself so would like others opinions on it. Super Les is usually the most sensible.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Couple of guys I know of left at halftime because the were feeling unwell, down to to much booze Christmas night and before match. one I know was gutted at having to leave,so No problem with facilities or game.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:05 pm

D_F_C wrote:I've always been interested in our temporary stand and what effect it would have. I think it should be a talking point. There are more people in the know than myself so would like others opinions on it. Super Les is usually the most sensible.
The installation of the temporary seats would have an effect of lowering the capacity (- probably by a small amount) as seats take up more space than standing. That said, the small reduction in capacity would probably be offset by the benefits to the fans who could use them.

could the temporary seats be put at the open end of the ground, offset perhaps to the side. They would provide seating for away fans in event of segregated crowds. On none segregated games, they could be sold on a match by match basis as a small family stand