Match thread today

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match thread today

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:28 am

To be totally honest I think that there is a shortage of referees in the local area that can officiate at this level. The same referee who did our home game to Fylde also did our away game to Nuneaton. I don't know if this is standard practice for the Conference North but I'm sure that the local FA's would prefer their officials to cover their own patch to save on expenses - as we've seen in previous seasons - where 99% of the referees have been NE based.

The standard of refereeing has been, generally speaking, awful so far this season. The previous 2 linesman that we have had on the dug-out side have been dreadful. Yesterday's referee was doing Northern League games 3 years ago and every-time we have had him he looks poor.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:37 am

Watched the highlights. Falkingham should have had a free kick on the edge of the box it wasn't a penalty for me on Beck - well actually the angle on the replay doesn't show a penalty - perhaps view from the tin shed is different/better.

The same referees do Northern League, EvoStik D1N and EvoStik Prem it is classed as the same level. So he was also doing EvoStik Prem 3 years ago.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:07 pm

As I said in a previous post, have seen this referee a few times and he's not improved. is there nothing that can be done about referees who are not up to the job? I assume reports are put in by clubs and they must have FA assessors at matches, it just not right that they can get so many decisions wrong (for both teams)and carry on match after match.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Although I don't like s*** referees, however I can handle it better if they are consistently s*** for both teams, but that idiot yesterday appeared to be playing two sets of rules, one for them and another more harsh version for us.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:57 pm

poppyfield wrote:As I said in a previous post, have seen this referee a few times and he's not improved. is there nothing that can be done about referees who are not up to the job? I assume reports are put in by clubs and they must have FA assessors at matches, it just not right that they can get so many decisions wrong (for both teams)and carry on match after match.
3 marks from each game pretty much. FA observer, home team and away team.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:39 pm

3 out of what 100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:31 pm

:roll: yeh go on then.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:44 pm

Yesterday's ref, who is from Tyneside, may well be destined for bigger and better things. I think he's fairly regularly a lino and fourth official in Football League games. We should feel privileged to get his services so often.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Think everyone was getting pre-occupied with the referee. Every challenge there were howls for a free kick. Was ridiculous by the end. Draw was a fair result. Need to sort out our defending from set pieces. There are enough coaches, and it's been an issue for a while. Nobody sems to take command. More than once in the first half, Falkingham ended up marking the number 9. Thought Scott made a difference. Suddenly Poole didn't have the time on the ball he'd had first half, and we started turning possession over more regularly. Beck played well. Not his greatest fan, simply because I think he dictates how we play sometimes, but credit where it's due. Unfortunately his strengths are also his weakness, as we turn over possession too often through free kicks against him. Some justified, some not. Salford seemed a lot more direct than in previous years, and seemed to have taken on our traits, as they were always a threat from set pieces, and their Browny style throw ins. Perhaps we should be flattered.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:14 am

Plenty of time to cool off from Saturday and here are my thoughts…..

Let’s get it out the way, the ref was poor. I don’t really recall any serious tackles going in so the number of fouls in the game just didn’t add up and in line with this how we ended up with 4 yellow cards to 0 and 15 fouls to 3 just makes no sense. I totally understand that people make errors it happens but he got a lot wrong. I have not seen the reply and I was 100% certain at the time that our second goal should have been ruled out for a foul by Beck. It would be good to be able to park that there but it had a real impact on the game. We were just unable to build up any momentum as he kept giving fouls against us in there half and also allowed them to release the pressure and add a bit of their own as they were given so many in our half. Not just frustrating but poor.

HOWEVER having said that from the 15 minutes you could see it was going that way and 100% credit to the boys for keeping their heads and getting on with it. I was sure we would finish the game with 10 men or less. So to get back in the game twice really deserves some praise.

Either team could probably make a case for feeling they could have won it and the draw was probably a fair result. As has been said defending set pieces we really struggle with and I’m not sure why. Individually we have enough people prepared to attack the ball and we have enough height and strength in the team. Are we just a bit cautious with our keepers? Jameson was struggling when injured then the two loaness perhaps just causes some uncertainty or is the delivery of the ball better in this league? I’m really unsure but would help us no end to get it tightened up.

First half I felt we were being overran in the middle of the park. Scott for Falkingham was the change I was hoping for and I think it helped no end. I don’t think Leon is as good as our other CM players but he really seems to get the best out of Turnbull. I also thought (and I’m not always his biggest fan) that Hardy had a great game when he came on, really helped hold the ball up better. Thommo and Gillies were both quiet, though you could make a case to credit Salford for this. I was surprised that Gillies made way for Syers rather than Thommo, only because his dead ball delivery is superb had he been on and we get that free kick on the edge of the box or with a corner he can make a difference in a tight game. People around me were giving Galbraith a hard time for his corners and they were poor today but normally are bang on so let’s give him the chance to have an off day.

With a note to Beck he had a good game today but I do think that he needs to forget about trying to win free kicks and be stronger. At times he (and the crowd) seem to get so het up with decisions going against his that all he and the crowd want is a free kick given for us, the ref today isn’t going to give them so we need to get on with it. He is as big as any of these CB and though young just needs to try to toughen up. Often I think he tries to make a back for the defender to come over instead of standing tall and trying to play the ball

Overall was not the best quality of game (it wasn’t allowed to flow) but two very committed teams and though frustrating (that’s how Salford set up) a decent point. Be nice to get back to winning ways though.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:58 am

The game seemed to be going the same way as last season, we were finishing the stronger side and should have nicked the 3 points but a lot of momentum was lost with that idiot referee, Salford had him sussed very early on and they were dropping like flies with little contact and he was falling for it every time and giving them the free kicks from which they got the 2 goals.Even when Beck got his 2nd, the centre half went down too easily fully expecting a free kick so he got that one right.Not getting the rub of the green lately but we will be up there come the end of the season without doubt.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:15 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Yesterday's ref, who is from Tyneside, may well be destined for bigger and better things. I think he's fairly regularly a lino and fourth official in Football League games. We should feel privileged to get his services so often.
I don't care where he comes from. He should be reported as part of the sexual abuse in football inquiry as he regularly screws us over. I would not let him lay lino, let alone be one.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Anyone know why Lucy Oliver doesn't referee at our level because she is way better than most of the refs we've had this season.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:07 pm

dfc4me wrote:Anyone know why Lucy Oliver doesn't referee at our level because she is way better than most of the refs we've had this season.
She didn't get promoted to do so, but he didImageImage

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:08 pm

Few points:

-Lucy Oliver will never ref a darlo game again, due to the love fans have for her

-Yes Ref didn't help the game but some of the decisions people were howling for were correct by the ref. I find that when Beck goes up against a defender he is generally holding or backing into them, so when their player does it, the ref lets it go as they are fouling each other

-Our second goal, I thought it was the most obvious foul of the day, on looking at the video (thanks Kev) it doesn't appear anywhere near as clear

-Our penalty appeal, Beck, the players and some fans were convinced. On looking at the video it didn't look like a pen to me.

-Gillies was getting doubled up on. To me they weren't playing a left mid, so that Poole could get in behind the strikers. We should have used Thompson and Marrs on the right in an attacking sense as that's where the space was. It happened a couple of times, but it should have happened more. Especially as I felt their left back was their weakest (btw Nottingham at RB was very good)

-Foul on Falkingham outside our box was laughable that it wasn't given. I'd be amazed if Leon doesn't start one or both of the next 2 games.

-Cartman & Hardy. Both of these players frustrate me. I like them both, but find their performances patchy. Both had a few mins in and out of the game. I know it's hard as a striker, but that's why both find themselves on the bench too often.

-Set pieces has cost us dearly recently and it's clear that needs work and I'm sure Gregan and Gray will get on it. We do have a lot of small players. Shame we didn't do so well with our set pieces but you can't score every time.

-Decent point, decent game and we now could do with another decent run. We've played everyone except Halifax and I don't think there's anything to fear from this league.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:21 pm

Cartman and Hardy - It's hard to get in a game when the ball is pinged above your head 90% of the time, and you're reliant on Beck directing a header somewhere near where you are.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:36 pm

My thoughts: We should've won it and we dominated the whole second half, two free kicks given away by Falkingham (not convinced just yet, although Scott isn't the option either) cost us, however their second goal was lucky as f*ck.

Beck had the chance of a life time with zero pressure at the end, and he had the opportunity to take the referee's decisions out of it. The defensive record for me is partly indicative of the league we are in now and a disrupted back line with suspensions and injuries.

Hardy and Cartman are in for a frustrating time but must learn to do what they can feeding off scraps and chasing down, Beck is justified starting and is such a handful.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:10 pm

D_F_C wrote:-Yes Ref didn't help the game but some of the decisions people were howling for were correct by the ref. I find that when Beck goes up against a defender he is generally holding or backing into them, so when their player does it, the ref lets it go as they are fouling each other

-Our second goal, I thought it was the most obvious foul of the day, on looking at the video (thanks Kev) it doesn't appear anywhere near as clear

-Our penalty appeal, Beck, the players and some fans were convinced. On looking at the video it didn't look like a pen to me.

-Foul on Falkingham outside our box was laughable that it wasn't given. I'd be amazed if Leon doesn't start one or both of the next 2 games.
Was starting to think I was completely outnumbered there. No game goes without some decisions being wrong (or more so disagreed with) but I felt there became an obsession that every single decision was wrongly going against us. This then compounded to the point people were howling for absolutely nothing and then adding it to their tally of decisions against.
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:how we ended up with 4 yellow cards to 0 and 15 fouls to 3 just makes no sense.
But that isn't true is it - firstly it was 4-1 for cautions. Surely it actually makes complete sense that the team committing five times as many fouls would have four times as many cautions?

There weren't any bad tackles apart from Burgess which was the only caution for reckless play - and I was actually half expecting it to be red - the rest were persistent infringement (Falkingham lucky he got as many chances as he did perhaps - I thought his third foul on the edge of the box where he wiped the guy out would have been the caution) and deliberate handball which can be argued as unfortunate.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:28 pm

TDS wrote: Hardy and Cartman are in for a frustrating time but must learn to do what they can feeding off scraps and chasing down, Beck is justified starting and is such a handful.
My point is people shouldn't be expecting them to look good then, should they, if their life is to be that of a beggar. On Saturday, Hardy at least had a chance as we played balls into the channels for him to run on too, and he had some success. Cartman didn't have that luxury.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:19 am

Thought Galbraith's normal impeccable deliveries and set pieces were not up to his normal high standards, as a few were over hit.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:49 am

lo36789 wrote:But that isn't true is it - firstly it was 4-1 for cautions. Surely it actually makes complete sense that the team committing five times as many fouls would have four times as many cautions?
I took the stats from the Darlo website, so missed the yellow for them.

My point being that in a game where there were no bad tackles (or 2 from your view) for there to be a foul given less than every 5 minutes and in such a one sided way doesn’t add up. Yes your extrapolation of cards to fouls is correct but if you’re getting the number of fouls awarded wrong then you’re going to be giving out incorrect cards.

The ref was poor at best.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:09 am

I try to take an impartial stance as far as officials go, however the ref and the linesman on the seated stand side were not up to the standards required for this league ,linesman gave an offside against beck when he was clearly on side coming from his own half just before the halfway line, ref totally inadequate didn't know what he was blowing for half the time.he was as bad last time also.inept not up to the job.